Follow

Genesis

Character » Genesis appears in 729 issues.

A clone of Apocalypse raised by Fantomex to become the ultimate weapon and a hero. The ultimate test of nature vs. nurture.

Genesis: Mutantkind's Next Great Savior, Or The Next Apocalypse?

• 92 results
    allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By allthatsgeek

@John Valentine:

Firstly, thanks for a very well thought out reply, and not just "You're wrong, you suck".

I can really see where you're coming from, but I just really have a hard time getting over how seemingly quick it was brushed off Beasts shoulder after, like what, 1 panel of him saying "tsk, tsk"? I can understand changing your opinion, but to go from not killing a kid who was going to grow up to become Apocalypse, to hunting down hope because of a perceived threat? I don't know how killing Hope = Earth's saved though, the way I see it, the planets being consumed by the phoenix right now don't have an avatar, Earth Does. Killing Hope to me is killing the one thing that can possibly control the Phoenix force. It's already on it's way, and if Hope dies, there's nothing for the Phoenix to stick around for and Galactus is having Earth S'mores tonight.

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By perry_411

Is there some underlying legal battle over Apocalypse? We left the real thing in the future, power restored, stryfe destroyed, and archangel standing with him. Then it's bring him back looking different, killing him as a boy, then cloning him and renaming him as Evan. Is it b/c there was something wrong with him being a cosmic-level threat who only pulls strings?

jemckinn214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By jemckinn214

I'd like to see him grow up to lead the X-Men one day. Either way, we know he's going to be a developing character in the X-Books for years to come, which is AWESOME

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By abeyance

wow I haven't read any Xmen comics since Mday ended. This Genesis character sounds interesting since Apocalypse was my favorite villain. I'm going to say he's destined to return to his roots. The main problem is keeping his origins a secret. That's never a good thing to do to someone that may grow into a powerhouse one day. Genesis has also been raised in a controlled environment where things made sense and is now introduced to the exact opposite in the real world. He's going to experience emotions he's never felt like pain and anger. He will get rejections from those of interest because of his looks (more specifically looking like Apocalypse). Personally I want him to become Apocalypse again with hopes he will make the Age of Apocalypse in the mainstream universe and a point of no return for all writers afterwards i.e. NO RETCONS.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By HellionVulcan

He needs to be Apocalypse 2.0 far more of a threat if he does go evil .

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Ferro Vida

I have got to say, I'm happy to see an article that is legitimately thought provoking. This is a subject I have spent a lot of time thinking on, so it's especially nice to see it tied into modern comic stories. 

Kudos, Babs.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@allthatsgeek said:

Ok, here's just ONE of my issues with Wolverine. He didn't want to kill Genesis because he's a child who hasn't made a choice to be evil, just saddled with the possibilty of it. Yet he's so ready to stab the shit out of Hope, who is herself a child saddled with a possibility for evil, but choosing to try to fight it. In fact, Logan has been pulling a lot of this hypocrisy BS. Cyclops has a wetworks team? The Beast burns that bridge and quits the team. Wolverine does it even AFTER cyclops disbands the first team? "OH WELL WE ALL EXPECT IT FROM WOLVERINE, IT'S OK." Way to be a dick, Logan.

QFT

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By JonesDeini

@Skaddix said:

Yeah, he would have to go through Franklin first which is unlikely. Then again Franklin not the sharpest tool in the tool shed.

Still yeah someone will turn him evil. Besides its not like Marvel would ever move the timeline enough to see what he would be like as an adult. Outside of a Mini or a Flash Forward Arc. Small chance of a new MC2.

Bingo, Future stories (while interesting and highly enjoyable) will never, ever matter. They'll never be real and never be realized. Sad as it may be, Genesis, Franklin, Valeria, etc. have no futures that we'll ever see come to fruition for the reasons you stated. Unless Remender/Aaron want to answer this question in the immediate future (3-5) years I don't think we'll ever know definitively.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By John Valentine

@allthatsgeek said:

@John Valentine:

Firstly, thanks for a very well thought out reply, and not just "You're wrong, you suck".

I can really see where you're coming from, but I just really have a hard time getting over how seemingly quick it was brushed off Beasts shoulder after, like what, 1 panel of him saying "tsk, tsk"? I can understand changing your opinion, but to go from not killing a kid who was going to grow up to become Apocalypse, to hunting down hope because of a perceived threat? I don't know how killing Hope = Earth's saved though, the way I see it, the planets being consumed by the phoenix right now don't have an avatar, Earth Does. Killing Hope to me is killing the one thing that can possibly control the Phoenix force. It's already on it's way, and if Hope dies, there's nothing for the Phoenix to stick around for and Galactus is having Earth S'mores tonight.

Not a problem.

Very valid point about the Phoenix Force destroying planets without a host, I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was only rushing through and destroying those planets before of the fact it had targeted Hope on Earth.

One point that must be considered is the promise Wolverine made to Hope about killing her if "things were about to get out of hand". Wolverine's an honourable man. Based of what happened to Jean, someone who was certainly more stable than Hope, I can see why Wolverine would want to stop this happening to Hope. New Dark Phoenix?

(Sounding like a massive Wolverine fanboy, not really the case, though!).

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By JohnnyGat

@Mutant God said:

even if he is Apoc there are other Saviors: Hope, Franklin Richards, Nate Grey, Squirrel Girl

Obviously these saviors will be the the four horsemen

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TheHT

Are there really people who believe an individuals development is exclusively either bound by genetics or wholly shaped by environmental factors?

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
    deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luke_kerridge:

Psychology studies state otherwise.

There are biological twins who have been separated since birth and put into different families in different areas and they still commit the same crimes. That said nurture is also prominent but both sides affect you.

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Notathug78

This is one those interesting philosophical questions. Part of an individuals actions and who they grow up to be is part of their parents and the environment they grow up in. But some what it really comes down to is the choices that individual makes. I don't believe that every pycho comes from a broken home. But when someone pulls themselves into better and healthier lifestyle than parentage or their enviroment then good for them. We've heard of the rags to riches stories of celebrities and businessmen. However some people are just crazy, mom and dad could have shown them love, provided for them but that doesn't stop them from killing mom and or dad. Now in the case of Genesis it's all in the writers hands on what he chooses to do.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By TheOptimist

Wow, so, first of all this was a really insightful column Sara. Truly, bravo.

And furthermore, thumbs up to the creative teams for making this a subject of discussion... it is bits like this that keep me reading their books... Genesis (and Broo, who suffers from a similar 'will he or wont he' fate) is one of the most interesting creations to date... every argument supports the notion that he will become Apocalypse, in text and out of text... eventually he will become Apocalypse, because we will want more Apocalypse. His fate is sadly signed in that respect...

Which makes me beg all the more for that expectation to be subverted. I reallyreally want for Evan to make his own fate, for him to serve as Genesis with a strong positive core, supported by those around him... it is the teacher in me that really believes that this child can thrive, that he can overcome his challenges... I really want to believe. I'm hoping against all the signs that he will triumph over the genetics of evil.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#65  Edited By Green ankh

X-Men books for the most part have not been that good for a long long time. I do think its funny that the readers think they know more then the writers.

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By NyxEquitis

We are all who we choose to be. While life has already been plotted out, we still have the Free Will to make choices that are part of that plan.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By aaunderoath

If he does in fact become Apocolypse I think it will be largely influenced by him finding out he's a clone and his whole life was a lie.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DEGRAAF

@AskaniSon295:

I think the future version of Hope and the future version of Genesis would be a great power couple. They could be King and Queen of their own country.I could see it working well too bc i could see Genesis finding a way to keep Hope from replicating his powers so she can take advantage of him and be the one power she will never attain. IT would be a love hate relationship with mistrust and chess like moves playing games with one another sabbotaging each others overall plans while still being with one another as the over all force of power on earth. Hope would surround herself with powerful mutants and learn to influence them to do her bidding.

Casshern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Casshern

Apocalypse does WAY to much time-traveling to die, plus he's always resurrecting somewhere else.

Didn't he travel to the future when he was thought dead...then healed Completely...then back in the present they cloned him with to make Genesis.

In Marvel you don't have to be Dead to be cloned... Wolverine!

I think Apocalypse...THE ORIGINAL is still alive in the future and is waiting in the future before he makes a comeback...that will be when Genesis becomes a great hero (Present) and a problem for Apocalypse in the future.

O NOOOO X-men Apocalypse Terminator story ARC. They can call it the X-Terminate series.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find Genesis that interesting, to be honest. Perhaps it is because I thought it would be more interesting to explore what Fantomex's teammates thought of what he did to end this threat versus the cloning experiment.

An interesting question would be whether the Clark Kent-like childhood that Fantomex imposed on Genesis was the catalyst that caused this clone to turn evil. He may have thought he was giving Genesis an impeccably good upbringing, but there may be elements of a normal upbringing missing from a virtual reality existence that could drive a person to insanity. The road to hell is often paved with good intentions, after all.

I'm also not impressed that so many former villains are now allies. The X-Men's rogues gallery is very diminished to the point that they have to turn on each other to generate stories. Genesis falls into this category, as Apocalypse was one of their few heavy-weight opponents.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Or35ti

Him and Hope should hang out.

alicemalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By alicemalice

I'm not sure what he's going to grow up to be like, but I have to say his subplot is one of the more interesting ones going on with Team Wolverine and it added an interesting layer to Phantomex. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By LordRequiem

Apocalypse seems to be a bad guy the X-men need, as he's always resurfacing through some means or another in stories, so methinks 'twud be safe to assume he will.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74  Edited By kagato

I really like Genesis and think he has a great potential as a hero sometime in the future, maybe keeping a clone of another worlds Apocalypse dosent mean he wont try to ressurect himself anyway, it would be cool to see him do battle with his evil side. Of course i can see the Phoenix Force killing him before then, strange that a being of such potential should only appear a few months before one of the other most powerful beings in the Galaxy is due to make a return. Wouldnt suprise me to see Wolverine have to send this kid to his death to save everyone else after his fallout with Cyclops.

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ExtraLarge

I anticipate Mr Sinister bringing him to the dark side, only to have him turn good again later and die a sacrificial death to defeat the real Apocolypse.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DEGRAAF

@ExtraLarge said:

I anticipate Mr Sinister bringing him to the dark side, only to have him turn good again later and die a sacrificial death to defeat the real Apocolypse.

I thought this too or something similar. I though Sinister might try to take advantage of cloning Genesis like he did Nathan Summers createing a new Apocalypse working for him.

@kagato: after reading your post i think it would be interesting to see the PF use Genesis as a host

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

#77  Edited By wmwadeii

So we are trying to use real world science and principles in comics. That's madness I say, madness.

But on topic, most comics do use the parental figure as a catalyst for the super-hero or villains decisions. Batman being the vigilant, Spider-Man's "responsibility", etc. And while changing the characters origin (New 52 Superman's parents being killed causing him to leave Smallville) the genetic nature causes the same outcome of him being a super-hero. I recall seeing a study on Discovery where they took identical twins that were adopted separately by different parents in totally different states/countries. The common factor was in most cases they children were very similar regardless of the environmental factors. They liked similar things, had similar tastes in food, etc. With only a few exceptions like religion, politics.

@Pwok21 said:

@luke_kerridge:

Psychology studies state otherwise.

There are biological twins who have been separated since birth and put into different families in different areas and they still commit the same crimes. That said nurture is also prominent but both sides affect you.

When it comes to Apocalypse I think it goes to the normal Yin & Yang snare. You must have an equal balance of good vs. evil. So therefore Apocalypse must exist in one form or another.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

FIRST OFF... lets look at the glaring STUPIDITY &convolusion (moral or otherwise )that is this characters origin.. heres a cloned child of Apocolypse..whom no one knows wether itll turn out good or bad MURDERED to stop the possibility of him turnin out evil.. but then the clone is actually cloned.(shouldn he be retarded by now?) .to see if he'll turn out evil anyway??

the musings on nature vs nurture aside..this has got to be some of the stupdest sh*t ive read in my life..jesus mary &joe cocker marvel come on!! asmuch as i love this book everytime i see im im reminded what a farce this whole 2bit "setup" is &i have to put it down again. -___-

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By VampireSelektor

I want Genesis to rise above his heritage (and stereotype).

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#80  Edited By RedOwl_1

@NyxEquitis said:

We are all who we choose to be. While life has already been plotted out, we still have the Free Will to make choices that are part of that plan.

This all the way, for example just because you have an accident /trauma /love trouble doesn't mean you're going to turn on bad

Batman TAS Season 2 "Trial" and Nightwing #7 as my points of defence

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Ah yes, the old "Environment vs. Heredity" argument. This has been hotly debated since the Three Stooges. I say it's a half and half.

In Genesis' case since Logan and others know what will happen if Genesis goes bad, naturally they would raise him to be good.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By One_Eye

@allthatsgeek: But hey,it's okay because it's Wolverine and as we all know,Logan loves tha kids..! Yeah, that's why I can't get into Wolverine and Loganeers..er..I..mean WatXM. Too many characters in that book are okay with Logan's hypocrisy.

Mildor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mildor

Wolverine has the right to do whatever he want ;he is among the older mutants he is older than you than me and he probably would be around after many mutants had passed away you and me, so we need to undestand that he carriers hundreds of year of life experience so whatever he said it is.

Regarding Genesis we´re complecating things. I said plane and simple tell him the truth; Hey youre a reencarnation of a maniac powerforce ebdodiment of Death and demise you had given a second chance to take a different choice a different path youre on or you don´t. Although this argument will make no much of a history thats why it must be done to the difficult way.

Genetics and environment define our nature and our evolution during our life but obviously the way we deal with the environment and how perceive it. Is based MAINLY in our formation the parents teaching ethics etc.. So theres not a simple path a simple choice to become true evil or good.

I think that marvel would want to teach this and Genesis will be our only savior against a Fallen Hope that would threaten the whole reality then in some point Genesis will save Hope both will fall in love but then the Living Tribunal will manifestate in the world and tell the X men that to mantain balanced theres need to be equal measure of force between good and evil (well slightly more good than evil) so LT gives them the choice that one of them need to embrace evil otherwise existence as know it will be no more, so Genesis make the choice to make the sacrifice for Hope and all ; to embrace evil restablishing the balance, emerging Apocalypse as a evil necessary. More less

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By Gylan Thomas

I thought Genesis was Mar Vell/ Captain Marvel's son

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Genesis is going to be a great hero always fighting is destiny just prolonging the inevitable. Its going to be like Iron Lad and Kang the Conqueror. Only details will change aka the interesting parts {IMHO}

(+)

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By lady_toyano

whatever the opposite of Apocalypse is he better be it darn it. That child is gold,

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Starleafgirl

I think people are born inherently good, but some are born without the capacity for feelings the rest of us have. And environment plays a big part in turning that good into bad.

As for Evan... I love how they pulled him out early, making it murky as to which way he would go. I think if he'd stayed in the program till its end, he'd without a doubt come out a Superman as far as morality goes. But since it was premature, he hasn't been fully molded to maturity and could still go either way.

Also, what's up with Clan Akkaba? Didn't they remember they already had a savior? Or was Chamber too much for them to control now?

Mortacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mortacai

I think Genesis is going to ultimately turn bad simply because everyone is lying to him, once he finds out the truth its gonna be really interesting.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By KidSupreme

WOW

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Solarflare32

He will be the next apocolypse as Remender confired apocolypses presence in Uncanny Avengers

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to have an arc where he discovers the truth, and either goes ape shit or remains calm.. and goes ape shit later. Imo, i'd like him to be a good guy, he's awesome

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By John Valentine

I want to have an arc where he discovers the truth, and either goes ape shit or remains calm.. and goes ape shit later. Imo, i'd like him to be a good guy, he's awesome

See: Final Execution.

(Specifically Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1 #30).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.