Comics Legend Gene Colan Has Been Attacked

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Gene Colan.

Unfortunately, we’ve got some bad news today. Bleeding Cool and Clifford Meth have let us know that comics legend Gene Colan was mugged recently. The mugger stole some of Gene’s original artwork relating to STAR WARS and NATHANIEL DUSK, and left the artist’s shoulder injured enough that he currently can’t draw. If any art collectors in our community come across some art by Gene Colan over the next couple weeks, be weary that it might have been stolen.

What’s frustrating about news like this is there’s little that we, as fans, can do about it. The dirtbag who attacked Gene is already out there in the world. Hopefully, Gene will make a swift recovery from his injuries, as any impairment on the arm is a significant setback for an artist. The unfortunate thing is that there are many artists from Gene’s generation that are experiencing setbacks like this, right now. If you feel strongly about helping these artists who’ve entertained audiences for so many years, I encourage you to look into the HERO Initiative, a charity that helps comic creators that need health, medical, and quality-of-life assistance .

Given that audiences can often have short memories, I think it’s worth it to remind everybody of Gene’s significant contributions to this medium that well all know and love. In addition to his memorable runs on DAREDEVIL, DR. STRANGE, IRON MAN and HOWARD THE DUCK, he’s perhaps best known for his work on TOMB OF DRACULA, a comic that put more adult-oriented horror in front of American audiences in the first major way since the restrictions of the Comics Code were put in effect. Modern comics like THE WALKING DEAD and 30 DAYS OF NIGHT owe so much to the trail TOMB OF DRACULA blazed. Gene also co-created a certain character called Blade the Vampire Hunter, who you might recall as being the first Marvel character to make a successful transition to the movies. Once again, the X-MEN movies, the SPIDER-MAN movies and all that followed them… I doubt you’d have seen them without the precedent-setting success of Gene’s creation.

I think the best way to properly recognize this artist in Comic Vine is to bring back the video of our tour of San Francisco’s Cartoon Art museum. At the time, it had an entire exhibit devoted to Gene’s artwork. 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by johnny_spam (2028 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they catch the bastard who hurt Gene.

#2 Posted by KRYPTON (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice needs to be survived. Or Vengeance.

#3 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" Hope they catch the bastard who hurt Gene. "
#4 Posted by Shanana (52681 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a job for Sha!

#5 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Only blood will quench my thirst for vengeance how dare some one harm Gene

#6 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish him a quick recovery.

#7 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the idea of checking out Hero Initiative... other than that there's nothing we can do!
#8 Posted by VZA (185 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy was way ahead of his time.  I just got done going through some old Marvel Comic's Presents where Gene drew the Black Panther and man was the artwork awesome.

#9 Edited by Crazy Pan (708 posts) - - Show Bio

That's sad what the world has come to. People would sooner go out and hurt someone, stealing what is rightfully theirs then at least TRY to get out there and get a legitimate job. I mean, I respect anyone who has the initiative to go out there searching for a job to better themselves, even if they can't find one right away. But they lose all my respect when they resort to violence and crime.

#10 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio

That's terrible. Poor Gene.

#11 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would dare?

#12 Posted by KRYPTON (1886 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Who would dare? "
Probably some fool trying to make a couple hundred thousand dollars. @Sha said:
" Sounds like a job for Sha! "
This would also be a job for Spectre 

Vengeance needs to be served
#13 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

That's disgusting.

#14 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey:
I will pray for Gene Colan and that the piece of poop who mugged him gets caught.  Why steal his artwork?  Most collectors especially the comic community are going to be aware of this situation and more than likely blow the whistle should they discover this art being sold.  At least I hope someone would.   

I agree about at least checking out the Hero Initiative and contributing if a person can, Sora.  
While I've previously commented regarding how artists in the early years of comics may have not used common sense in regards to their contracts with comic book companies, I still am on their side and defend the fact plenty of them got "mugged" in a sense by some people in the comic book industry at the time by not offering more pay and/or better contracts, etc.  So many artists and writers alike have contributed to the genre from days gone by and have seen little reward for their efforts.   

I hope someone will be a TRUE hero, track down Gene Colan's stolen art, the perp, and this case gets resolved.  My prayers and wishes for a healthy recovery for Mr. Colan.  Mugging an older person is one the lowest forms of crime one can commit, in my opinion.  
#15 Edited by leokearon (1707 posts) - - Show Bio

That crook as Tresspassed in Our souls 

Still I hope Gene gets better
#16 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I really do despise scumbags like that. To attack someone like that over artwork. 

I'm a firm believer in karma & I believe they'll get theres.
#17 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7493 posts) - - Show Bio

People make me sick.  

Wish this guy was really knocking around, then someone could give him a call.

#18 Posted by ZombieInkComics (2 posts) - - Show Bio

What a total and utter shame. Get well, Gene!

#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

What...!?!?!  That's just wrong!  Horribly horribly wrong!  That's terrible news! 

#20 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay: Why would you go to Moon Knight? I could kick his ass
#21 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

That's messed up.

#22 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Shame. I hope he get's well. I hope the attacker get's burned in the depths of hell with mephisto.

#23 Edited by Shatterstar (4437 posts) - - Show Bio

You've gotta be kidding me. Who does that?

#24 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they catch that Bastard.
#25 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day. This is truly heart breaking. I sincerely hope this P.O.S. thief is caught and thrown in jail. I also hope for a speedy recovery for Gene Colan. Get well soon.

#26 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

That's rotten to the core beyond words and suffering. Someone better be on this.

Recover soon, Gene.

#27 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that people just mug others, especially seniors.

#28 Posted by NightFang (9635 posts) - - Show Bio
WTF!!!! Man, that sucks.
#29 Posted by xXLukeCageXx (53 posts) - - Show Bio

This Was A Post For Fun , I Really Don't Mean This, But Wishing Gene quick recover.

Hey Guy's, I have an IDea Let's Make Our Own Costume's Like Kick - Ass &  Find's Gene Mugger Then Beat The Crap Out Of Him :D

#30 Posted by Storm Rider (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but does anyone ever fact-check and/or update stories here? It was originally falsely believed that Colon was attacked and robbed, but the story was quickly corrected with the truth. As it turns out, Colon injured his shoulder at home, was taken to the hospital, and in his absence his home was robbed of some of his artwork. 

#31 Posted by gburn (1 posts) - - Show Bio

From Bleeding Cool: 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/04/09/gene-colan-robbed-artwork-missing/ 
"(UPDATE) It appears that Gene was injured at home and taken to the hospital. During which period, art work disappeared from the house. The details aren’t very specific but Gene was not attacked for the artwork.

If you are appoached by anyone selling such pieces, please do get in touch. "

You guys should update the top article.

#32 Posted by Illuminarch (243 posts) - - Show Bio

So apparently Colan was assaulted by his estranged wife, who was later found dead.

#33 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Disgusting he was one of the greats get me Daredevil on the Phone he owes Gene a favour.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.