grifter78's Gen 13 #36 - Pocatello, Part Two: Machines and Messiahs review

Gen 13: World's End #36-Machines & Messiahs

This issue seemed to have a lot more setup than the last, which is ironic since we ended on a cliffhanger.  The thing is the first 5 pages help introduce a new villain (or old?  Still trying get clarification on that one).  Don’t get me wrong, it’s an interesting set-up for sure but it just made the rest of the issue feel short.  And I don’t like when a bi-monthly book feels short.

Cruddie Torian’s art is at its best in this issue.  I’ve said it before but it bears repeating; I love that he has a J. Scott Campbell thing going on with his art style.  Gen 13 should be a fun book and that includes the art.  I think Torian’s art is really appropriate for the title.  He’s also got some really cool designs (wait until you see a design he does for Hardbody).

I will say that Hester is doing a good job with giving the characters of Gen 14 some life.  When they debuted in Gen 13 #26, only their leader at the time (Breakdown) was given any development.  So it’s good to see how they’re dealing with difficult situations like the one that arose as the solution to their current dilemma.  It’s a solution that really seemed to affect Fairchild and her journey could be an interesting one to follow.  She’s lost her friends (except for Burnout) and she seems to be really taking it hard.  There’s even a part towards the end where she gets a little bold.  While it was cool to see her step up, it’s obviously she’s in pain and feeling some guilt.

I still liked the issue but not as much as Hester’s debut issue.  But it’s ok because I like what was setup here and I look forward to seeing where he takes us next.

Posted by shawn87

i've never read Gen 13 but ive been hearing that name come up a lot lately and i think im gonna get some issues and check it out