Web Comic Spotlight: 4/10/12 - Garfield Minus Garfield

Posted by inferiorego (22646 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to the Web Comic Spotlight where we take a look at a piece of the comic book world that keeps us entertained on a daily b

asis. Last week, we featured my personal favorite web comic website called The Oatmeal, and this week we take a look at my second favorite site, which a few of you sent me an e-mail about: Garfield Minus Garfieldcreated by Dan Walsh, based upon the work of Jim Davis.

The idea for Garfield Minus Garfield is incredibly simple. Take old Garfield comics and remove Garfield from said comic. What do you have left? Surprisingly, something laugh out loud funny. Many of us loved Garfield growing up, and he's a great part of American culture; however, who knew something as simple as removing the main character from the comic could be so darn funny?

At the same time, removing Garfield makes the strip a bit depressing. The focus is more on Jon Arbuckle who turns out to be a p

retty sad and lonely guy. Removing Garfield makes this strip a strange reflection of how so many of us feel in our private life and some of the things we may do or ways we may act when we think no one else is around.

The coolest thing about this strip is that Garfield author, Jim Davis, supports the strip, and he wrote the forward for the book. Yes, there's even collection of these in book form you can buy online. Yes, it's worth it. Davis said this about the strip and Walsh's creation, back in 2008:

The cartoonist calls the work "an inspired thing to do" and wishes to thank Walsh for enabling him to see another side of "Garfield."

You can spend hours at the site having yourself a good giggle at the strips as Jon Arbuckle deals with life. The site was started by Dan Walsh, from Ireland, back in February of 2008, and he usually gets a new strip up every couple of days.

It's a really cool idea, and what draws most people in is that it's a new take on an old classic, and who knew that simply removing Garfield from the comic strip would turn the book into something so different and still so funny?

Make sure to check out the Garfield Minus Garfield website, check out the GMinusG twitter page, and you can even follow GMinusG creator Dan Walsh on twitter.

Yes, it's sad, but it's one of my favorites.

Do you have or know a webcomic you think should be featured? E-mail us at comicvinespotlight@gmail.com

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a comedian, writer, and host of the internet show no one watches, Barely Watchable. Follow him on Twitter: @inferiorego

Staff
#1 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8994 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds like a very funny, creative web comic.

#2 Posted by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds cool, i'll check it out

#3 Posted by Hot_Karl (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god, I love Garfield Minus Garfield, it's like weird dark existential humor, kind of like we're watching an alternate universe where Jon is this close to suicide. It's hilarious.

Garfield's been the subject of some pretty....interesting internet projects:

#4 Posted by AlKusanagi (601 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to recall a similar site years and years ago that did almost the same thing, only instead of removing Garfield they just removed all of his thought balloons. Didn't make Jon look any less crazy.

#5 Posted by TwistedGamer (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone should do this with Calvin & Hobbs, and just take out Hobbs and his dialogue....it would make Calvin look like a crazy person.

#6 Posted by SammyGabryl (84 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great. I've been reading it for a while. It's cool that web comics are getting some recognition on Comicvine now.

#7 Posted by wmwadeii (3245 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it.

#8 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2239 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, thats great.

#9 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the concept, even if Garfield is what makes Garfield comic strips great :)

#10 Posted by feargalr (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

@SammyGabryl said:

This is great. I've been reading it for a while. It's cool that web comics are getting some recognition on Comicvine now.

This is true. I always like when they do a new feature.

Though I'll always be longing for the return of three minute expert

#11 Posted by pikahyper (11806 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading the title I thought Garfield had finally died from all the lasagna bingeing and they continued the comic without him o.o

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by lmothander (98 posts) - - Show Bio

John Arbuckle reminds me of Alan Harper from 2.5 men...

#13 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Heard of this a while ago, this is kind of strange. Without Garfield, Jon's depressing, yet for some reason it still makes us laugh.

#14 Posted by SammyGabryl (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr: Yeah, that was always one of my favorites.

#15 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Jon. If you think about it, he's a miserable dude without Garfield... it makes him seem even more crazy/depressed/miserable if you think like Garfield were just a figment of his imagination.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (57918 posts) - - Show Bio

reminds me of mat.
BB

#17 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

@TwistedGamer: Robot Chicken did a bit of that premise once.

#18 Posted by The Impersonator (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

This sounds like a very funny, creative web comic.

#19 Posted by Renchamp (2339 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems to answer the question that's been asked for years: Does Jon know what Garfield is saying? No, and it's hilariously sad that he truly is one of those cat people.

#20 Posted by inferiorego (22646 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

reminds me of mat.
BB

truer words have never been written

Staff
#21 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

This is hilarious and depressing. I love it.

#22 Posted by Loki2u (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Its still not funny.

#23 Posted by KingSolomon (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought that garfield minus garfield was more sad than funny....

#24 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

This is hilarious.

#25 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

nice!

#26 Posted by WindFall259 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that this is funnier than the original makes me sad.

#27 Posted by pingclang (263 posts) - - Show Bio

This didn't even make me crack a smile...nor did the rest of the remade strips on the website.

#28 Edited by TerryMcC (306 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s funnier without the cat than with him, but not as funny as the time years ago when the distributor of the panel comic strips The Far Side and Dennis the Menace accidentally mixed up the captions

#29 Posted by ka385385 (1288 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as fuuny as it used to be i must said.

#30 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Garfield I will check this out

#31 Posted by _Cain_ (23666 posts) - - Show Bio

This webcomic is so awesome.

#32 Posted by _Cain_ (23666 posts) - - Show Bio

@TwistedGamer said:

Someone should do this with Calvin & Hobbs, and just take out Hobbs and his dialogue....it would make Calvin look like a crazy person.

YES.

#33 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowknight666 said:

@TwistedGamer said:

YES.

There's a Robot Chicken sketch kind of along those lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.