Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4680 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

X-Men Origins: Gambit One Shot Review!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

After much anticipation for me, this comic finally came out last Wednesday. Much to my disappointment, it was not exactly as good as I had hoped it would be. However! Still good! The important thing though is not what I think, it's what you guys think. So, what did you think? Did you feel like it could have been better? Did you love it? Did you hate it? Did you even read it?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Am I the only one who the video doesn't play for?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_Name_

It should work now. Problem on our end, sorry about that!

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By ninjadude853

i liked it, im kinda new to comics in general, and this issue helped me to learn more about gambit from someplace other than wikipedia

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

LMAO the music at the end cracks me up. I agree though, I wish it was a three part series (or even a mini series) instead of a one shot. The Storm storyline is probably one of the best moments in Gambit's history yet its barely covered at all in this :(

Avatar image for piratehistorian
    piratehistorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By piratehistorian

i agree that the story seemed kind of rushed, but to me it seemed like that was the point.  carey wasn't trying to go into a lot of detail about the individual events of gambits life, but instead to show how gambit reacted to those events and how that shaped him.  i think he did this really well and used snippets from gambit's life to paint a really good picture of who gambit is and why.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By No_Name_
    @piratehistorian: Yeah but he could have done that and not delved so deeply into "The Marauders" story, and rather gone a little bit more in depth with the Gambit's relationship with Storm
    RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RalfvdH

dang You really smacks the comic around in this review :P

The kid he saved was Marrow..  What happened to her anyway ?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By No_Name_
    @RalfvdH said:
    " dang You really smacks the comic around in this review :P The kid he saved was Marrow..  What happened to her anyway ? "
    We may never know.
    RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RalfvdH
    @Babs said:
    " @RalfvdH said:
    " dang You really smacks the comic around in this review :P The kid he saved was Marrow..  What happened to her anyway ? "
    We may never know. "
    Already found out here
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marrow_(Sarah)_(Earth-616)

:)

camodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By camodude

babs i noticed you hit the tamle alot lol.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Joe Venom

This was great book although I think it kind of cheated readers of a great story of when Gambit met Storm, or wait could they be saving it for Storms' Origins?

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dex

Great Review.. Yeah the story was condensed a lot, but I think that it will give  the general idea about gambit to those that are just dabbling into him. You can find a lot more on him in his series and a lot more in depth. I 100% agree with you in the beginning with the artwork not being as good as it was in the end.Overall I think that it did its job with the one shot though and it was enjoyable. Great review glad you did it =D

..........Sinister is so Gambit's dad...

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Babs: LOL you know who she is :P
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dex
    @Babs:  is the music at the start and end the Jambalaya song? haha I hope it is!
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By John Valentine

I thought this was a well-written, if just a little too compressed, revisit of Gambit's past. I also thought the art was decent.
    I would have rated it a pretty solid 6/7 out of 10.

Avatar image for deadpool_a_k_a_wade_wilson
    DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Nice Review Babs.. But i'm not picking it up

Omg chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Omg chris

was babs upset before she did that review because she was hitting her desk mad times i was like 0_o

sifsclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sifsclub

gambit is the best. book could be longer though.

Avatar image for piratehistorian
    piratehistorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By piratehistorian
    @Babs: but setting up the marauders and his role in the massacre are the two biggest black marks on gambit's record, so he had to spend more time on that.  and as far as storm goes, i like that care spends so little time on it.  if you didn't know it was storm before reading this issue, carey gives you nothing (other than how she looks) to confirm that its her, which makes it seem like more of a random occurrence, just like the title says.  also the fact that it stops so abruptly is a good lead into other stories about what happens afterwards, which have already been told.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_Name_
    @piratehistorian said:
    " @Babs: but setting up the marauders and his role in the massacre are the two biggest black marks on gambit's record, so he had to spend more time on that.  and as far as storm goes, i like that care spends so little time on it.  if you didn't know it was storm before reading this issue, carey gives you nothing (other than how she looks) to confirm that its her, which makes it seem like more of a random occurrence, just like the title says.  also the fact that it stops so abruptly is a good lead into other stories about what happens afterwards, which have already been told. "
    I feel like we agree on this for the most part. I still stick to my opinion in that it was rushed.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By No_Name_
    @Omg chris said:
    " was babs upset before she did that review because she was hitting her desk mad times i was like 0_o "
    I wasn't mad, did it seem that way? I hit things and don't even realize it's what I'm  doing. Oops!
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jefprice

I thought it was good, but really felt like it should have been a Limited run instead of a One Shot. Or at least a bigger book.

Omg chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Omg chris
    @Babs:  lol at first i was like did something fell in my room little did i realize that it was the video and i agree with you on it bieng rushed but for the most part we do get a sense of his origins good review XD
    Erich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Erich

Definitely WAY too rushed. That's the problem with these X-Men Origins Titles....Seriously did anyone read X-Men Origins Beast?

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By cascadeking09

This video has to reload like every 5 seconds

Reaper 13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Reaper 13

Gambit has such potential to be one of the biggest badass' but the writers just wont give it to him.  Instead they keep him in the background and feed us tidbits of crap.  I think Gambit is one of the most underrated characters in marvel.

No Caption Provided

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#27  Edited By gmanfromheck

I didn't get to read this.  I did buy it.  I brought it into the office but it seemed to have disappeared....

There was a story (don't ask me where) where Marrow was in almost in awe of Gambit (as you know, the little girl aged into Marrow in another dimension or some such).

Also, I believe it was in one of the (many) X-Men: The End mini-series that Mr. Sinister was revealed to be Gambit's dad.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @G-Man said:
    " I didn't get to read this.  I did buy it.  I brought it into the office but it seemed to have disappeared....There was a story (don't ask me where) where Marrow was in almost in awe of Gambit (as you know, the little girl aged into Marrow in another dimension or some such).Also, I believe it was in one of the (many) X-Men: The End mini-series that Mr. Sinister was revealed to be Gambit's dad. "
    Marrow and Gambit kissed in one issue and in another she killed him (it was a What If). Your spot on with the "X-Men: The End" revealing Sinister to be Gambit's father and Cyclops his brother. Sadly that's a non canon issue :( I was hoping they would play out that story in this issue but it wasn't to be. What I still dont understand is the poorly explained reason for Gambit going to Sinister in the first place. He could have just as easily gone to Xavier for help. What compelled him to seek out Sinister? Oh well another story for another time.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#29  Edited By gmanfromheck

I didn't read all "The End" series.  I fell behind and started getting confused which issues were with which volume.  I thought it made perfect sense that Sinister was his father.  I also always hoped it would play out.

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dex
    @G-Man: I believe I read that Chris Claremont and Jim lee created gambit to be the good counter part for Mr. Sinister...Wasn't sure if the 616 and "The End" series were hand and hand or not. I know that gambit has time traveled though and theres suppose to be a connection between him and Amanda Mueller an immortal mutant...who was also connected to Mr. Sinister.......   Funny thing is Gambit as the witness is an immortal and still connected to sinister....Sinister nasty Amanda Mueller= Amanda Mueller giving baby to thieves guild?Sinister knows hes the daddy deep down?
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jefprice
    @Babs: you seemed cranky. Lol I liked it. Good thoughts and review.
    Cyclone200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Cyclone200

Yeah !
    Awesome review babs ;)

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Media_Master

If I really wanted to know his origins I'd probably watch an episode from the Uncanny X-Men series from the 90's, if they have one

If not than this will do.

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By logan48227

So Babs, I already have those Claremont stories where Gambit was introduced and the following issues that tell some of how he assembled the Marauders and why he married Balldonna. Does this book give anything more to those stories and become essential to my collection, or is it just a straight retelling of what I already know?

I did notice the panels you showed with Gambit talking to his father on his wedding day, but is there enough of that kind of thing to warrant a purchase?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By No_Name_
    @logan48227: Honestly? No. Basically, it's 4 stories lumped together in one book. The theme that ties them together is the "acts of redemption" subtitle. A simple way of saying: Remy's not a bad guy, he's messed up sometimes, he steals stuff, but at the end of the day he will save a person in need. The premise of this book is good; however, it doesn't really teach you anything you don't already know. That page where he talks to his father is only one panel. If you want to pay $2.99 for one panel it's on you. I liked it, good writing, but if you have read Claremont's entire collection, you won't be learning anything new here.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By No_Name_
    @jefprice: My Mom said the same thing. Yes, my mom watches my reviews. LOL. I really wasn't cranky, I think you guys are just used to me saying nothing but positive things about a comic. I was honest in that I wasn't crazy about the way this was set up. So I said that. :)
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jefprice
    @Babs: Lol Well maybe sassy is a better word! It was a fine review. It's really a shame they didn't do a Limited run and detail it a bit more. It would have sold, and with them flooding the market right now, I'd much rather have that book then another pointless DR mini. I have in my X-Collection but not because it's a great book. Lol It was pretty lacking for anything more then a recap and Gambit fan coolness.
    Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Justize

Damn, Babs you seem pretty pissed in that intro. But you're right.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nahero

well i think you made another impressive review and i see what you mean and i agree

and it would be way too soon to put rogue there cuz shes meets gambit a while after she joins the Xmen and gambit been doing his thing way before he joined the Xmen so you see where im coming from

you know personally i would like to see a Xmen origins professor X know that would be kick ass N word

love N

spitfirepirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spitfirepirate
    is it just me or is this chick being ridiculous.  the cover was amazing!  when jim lee first drew gambit he had the top part of the character's mask not go all the way up to his hairline like it does today, so kudos to the artist for adding in that small detail.  and the art was pretty well drawn and colored.  it fit well with the story.  and the multiple chapters in the book was a pleasure to read in one sitting.  the writer did nothing new, only connected all the important events that were alluded to in previous x-men titles and gambit mini-series.  yes, i knew all the back stories and how the fit into gambit's continuity...but for someone who knows little about Gambit it could come off as incomplete. whatever, the book was great and i'm glad that i picked it up!
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By No_Name_
    @spitfirepirate said:
    "
    is it just me or is this chick being ridiculous.  the cover was amazing!  when jim lee first drew gambit he had the top part of the character's mask not go all the way up to his hairline like it does today, so kudos to the artist for adding in that small detail.  and the art was pretty well drawn and colored.  it fit well with the story.  and the multiple chapters in the book was a pleasure to read in one sitting.  the writer did nothing new, only connected all the important events that were alluded to in previous x-men titles and gambit mini-series.  yes, i knew all the back stories and how the fit into gambit's continuity...but for someone who knows little about Gambit it could come off as incomplete. whatever, the book was great and i'm glad that i picked it up!
    "
    That's what I like to hear! Some opposition to my opinions. I'll still go with the expressionless look he has on the cover is lame. Gambit should be cracking a smirk or something. He's suppose to look cocky, not bored.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @spitfirepirate said:
    " when jim lee first drew gambit he had the top part of the character's mask not go all the way up to his hairline like it does today "
    Just a small correction. Jim Lee was the one who originally raised Gambit's mask up to his hair line. Mike Collins and Andy Kubert are the original artists who first drew Gambit and had his mask slightly lower.

Kubert
    Kubert

Jim Lee
    Jim Lee

spitfirepirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spitfirepirate

big f***ing deal.  but thank you for the info!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Not a big deal, just an inaccurate one :)

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By ragdollpurps

mmmmmm...... gambit...

romyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By romyfan

Good if want a quick way to get basic information about Gambit's past.  I do not think it did him justice.  He is such a complex character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.