Why is Gambit in the Weapon X labs???

#1 Posted by PsyNick (72 posts) - - Show Bio

I reading a gambit comic, and i noticed that he was in the Weapon X labs!!! Stealing Nathaniel Essex's diary! But how did the diary get there, and why did gambit have to get it?

#2 Edited by Vance Astro (91234 posts) - - Show Bio

They purposely created this for the movie to look like Gambit actually had a place in Wolvie's origin.Origin's is a blank slate because nobody but the writers know what happens.They can make up stuff as they go along.

#3 Posted by Erik (32797 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be willing to buy into Sinister being a part of Weapon X but not Gambit. He would have been just a baby when Weapon X happened. Although in X-Men: The End, it was revealed in that possible future that Gambit is just a mixture of Mr. Sinister's DNA with Cyclops. So...

#4 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91234 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything First Class is usually terrible.

#6 Posted by Erik (32797 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree.

#7 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll tell you on May 1!

#8 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
erik said:
"Although in X-Men: The End, it was revealed in that possible future that Gambit is just a mixture of Mr. Sinister's DNA with Cyclops. So..."
Do people usually accept The End as canon?  I thought it was just another alternate reality.
#9 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"erik said:
"Although in X-Men: The End, it was revealed in that possible future that Gambit is just a mixture of Mr. Sinister's DNA with Cyclops. So..."
Do people usually accept The End as canon?  I thought it was just another alternate reality.
"
It is (although its a badass story).
#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

So... do people accept the Gambit is he genetic son of Sinister & Cyclops... which sounds really really gross....?

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91234 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"So... do people accept the Gambit is he genetic son of Sinister & Cyclops... which sounds really really gross....?"
If it's not canon than no...
#12 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL its speculated that Gambit may be Sinister's son (in some fashion). But its never been confirmed. X-Men The End is not canon.

#13 Posted by PsyNick (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, so their genes were mixed to make Gambit or did they magically have a baby by , ya know, by ya know!

#14 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

See, that's what I was thinking... If it's not canon, then that's fine.  But sometimes bizarre little things like that creep into mainstream continuity because of how popular it might be with fans. 

Having not read it, I'll admit complete ignorance when it comes to The End.  I was pretty sure it wasn't canon.  But if there was a positive reaction to Gambit being Sinister & Cyclops' genetic son (no mater how many times I write that, it still sounds wrong) then... do you think anyone accepted it as fact??  Or that (god forbid) they'll make it canon??

PsyNick said:
"Wait, so their genes were mixed to make Gambit or did they magically have a baby by , ya know, by ya know!"
Think of X-Man, not Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) in Junior ;)
#15 Posted by Erik (32797 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"erik said:
"
See bold.
#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
erik said:
"xerox-kitty said:
"erik said:
"
See bold.
"
Yes, yes, I can read thank you very much.  But you made me curious as to whether Gambit's fans actually buy into that.  Because if they do... it might become canon (see my other comments).
#17 Edited by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit's real father has never been revealed. And his connection with Sinister has always been suspect. Add in the obsession of Cyclops (by Sinister) and its completely possible that someday aspects of "The End" will become canon.

#18 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Everything First Class is usually terrible."

It's non-canon.
#19 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Gambit's real father has never been revealed. And his connection with Sinister has always been suspect. Add in the obsession of Cyclops (by Sinister) and its completely possible that someday aspects of "The End" will become canon."
Fair enough. Although I find it disturbing to think of Scott as Remy's mommy ;)
#20 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"
Gambler said:
"Gambit's real father has never been revealed. And his connection with Sinister has always been suspect. Add in the obsession of Cyclops (by Sinister) and its completely possible that someday aspects of "The End" will become canon."
Fair enough. Although I find it disturbing to think of Scott as Remy's mommy ;)"

Modified DNA damn it!
#21 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
It's non-canon."
That's not exactly accurate.
#22 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
It's non-canon."
That's not exactly accurate."
I thought it was basically counted as non-canon?
#23 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
PsyNick said:
"Wait, so their genes were mixed to make Gambit or did they magically have a baby by , ya know, by ya know!"
Think of X-Man, not Arnold Schwarzeneger (sp?) in Junior ;)
John Valentine said:
"Modified DNA damn it!"
Good fried, everyone's so fired up tonight... I KNOW THAT!  It's called a sense of humour, so just chill!
#24 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
John Valentine said:
"Modified DNA damn it!"
Good fried, everyone's so fired up tonight... I KNOW THAT!  It's called a sense of humour, so just chill!
I left out my ":p" :s.
#25 Posted by danhimself (22548 posts) - - Show Bio
PsyNick said:
"I reading a gambit comic, and i noticed that he was in the Weapon X labs!!! Stealing Nathaniel Essex's diary! But how did the diary get there, and why did gambit have to get it?"

wow so no one read the opening post?

not once did this guy ask anything about the movie or the end or first class....he said he was reading a Gambit comic most likely one from his mini
#26 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"I thought it was basically counted as non-canon?"
I'm on the fence personally. Leaning towards canon. Here's what Marc Sumerak had to say in an interview with Comicmix.com.

"When revisiting the past of any well-known character, the ultimate goal is to provide a fresh take on the classic mythology without contradicting continuity. Personally, I leave it up to the reader to decide whether or not something is "canon"... but a lot of research was done to make sure that the story being told on our pages fits cleanly into the intricately woven tapestry of Marvel history."

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/10/26/interview-marc-sumerak-on-weapon-x-first-class/

#27 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"John Valentine said:
I'm on the fence personally. Leaning towards canon. Here's what Marc Sumerak had to say in an interview with Comicmix.com.

"When revisiting the past of any well-known character, the ultimate goal is to provide a fresh take on the classic mythology without contradicting continuity. Personally, I leave it up to the reader to decide whether or not something is "canon"... but a lot of research was done to make sure that the story being told on our pages fits cleanly into the intricately woven tapestry of Marvel history."

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/10/26/interview-marc-sumerak-on-weapon-x-first-class/"
I'm the reader, and I say "no" :D. (That's just me, I don't care for first class though).

Thanks though.
#28 Edited by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"PsyNick said:
"I reading a gambit comic, and i noticed that he was in the Weapon X labs!!! Stealing Nathaniel Essex's diary! But how did the diary get there, and why did gambit have to get it?"
wow so no one read the opening post?not once did this guy ask anything about the movie or the end or first class....he said he was reading a Gambit comic most likely one from his mini"
Maybe you should take your own advice. Cause that event (you know, the highlighted one) takes place only in Weapon X First Class.
#29 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"PsyNick said:
wow so no one read the opening post?not once did this guy ask anything about the movie or the end or first class....he said he was reading a Gambit comic most likely one from his mini"
He made this thread based on what he read in one he'd already made about Polaris.  I apologise for offending anyone tonight as my curiosity about The End & the possibility of Gambit being the genetic descendent of Sinister & Cyclops meant the thread went off on a tangent, and seems to have triggered John's large & bold fonts ;p  But apparently the scene in question comes from First Class, which is why that was brought up.
#30 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Its all good. I see no reason to apologize lol. Discussion is always welcome. Especially since the question was answered in the first few posts. Why waste the thread? Might as well talk about something.

#31 Posted by danhimself (22548 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry if i came off sounding like an a$$....dell has me in a crappy mood right now

#32 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"sorry if i came off sounding like an a$$....dell has me in a crappy mood right now"
Yeah, my bad for snapping back. So is this the part we hug it out?
#33 Posted by danhimself (22548 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"danhimself said:
"sorry if i came off sounding like an a$$....dell has me in a crappy mood right now"
Yeah, my bad for snapping back. So is this the part we hug it out?"

how bout just a friendly handshake?
#34 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

lol oh fine

#35 Posted by danhimself (22548 posts) - - Show Bio

you really wanted a hug didn't you?

#36 Posted by Bergquist (695 posts) - - Show Bio

what book were you reading

#37 Posted by Erik (32797 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"John Valentine said:

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/10/26/interview-marc-sumerak-on-weapon-x-first-class/"
I will accept it as canon when it suits me to do so and disregard any part that I do not like as non-canon. Because I can. 
#38 Posted by PsyNick (72 posts) - - Show Bio

we still havent answered my post! why was gambit there? why was the sinister diary there? why did gambit have to steal it?

#39 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by PsyNick (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and bergquist, i wasn't really reading a comic, its just what i found out by the gambit expert(Gambler) and turned it into a question because I STILL DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER!

#41 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
@PsyNick said:
"Oh, and bergquist, i wasn't really reading a comic, its just what i found out by the gambit expert(Gambler) and turned it into a question because I STILL DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER! "

Weapon X "acquired" the diary somehow and applied the information contained in it (Sinister's own experimentation with mutant DNA) in there own experimentation on mutants. A young Gambit, a member of the thieves guild, was hired by an anonymous benefactor (probably Essex himself) to steal the diary back.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.