Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

why dose Gambit love Rogue

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By LoganRogue24

is it cause shes hot or her accent or something else.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

Because she's bangable, well, now that she can control her powers. Gambit was all about the chase.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LoganRogue24

maybe i missjudged romy all theese years.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

Love can't be explained by rational thought.

WORDS OF WISDOM.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LoganRogue24

i never liked romy not sure why i prefer her and wolverine always did. i guess love is very hard to understand you can"t help who you fall in love with with most girls i fall for just want to be friends.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SavageDragon

@John Valentine said:

Because she's bangable, well, now that she can control her powers. Gambit was all about the chase.

So true.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@LoganRogue24 said:

cause shes hot

SarahB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SarahB
    @lykopis said:

Gambit loves Rogue because he saw in her someone who despite a brash exterior, needed to be shown she was loveable and worth fighting for. Rogue has a big heart and so does Gambit and I would even go so far as to say that by having someone as genuine and sweet as her fall in love with him made him feel worthwhile himself. He loved her while she was untouchable, loved her knowing that he could never touch her, and for a tactile man like him, that is a real testament to the extent of his affections.

Having said that -- Gambit hopefully moves on. He's proved his love for her long enough. I will always believe Rogue will be the love of his life, but the way things stand now, she doesn't deserve him. And she's my favourite character.

Well said.  Rogue had been all but ignored as a beautiful woman by all the X-Men because of her power.  Gambit looked past that and saw her as a woman and while it was just attraction at first, it was obvious he admired her strength living with her isolation as she did and came to love her all the more for it.  Gambit's never been given the credit he should have for standing by Rogue even when things got bad and it was way worse than what most of the x-relationships had to deal with  (some because of him and some not).  Its a darn shame Carey wrote Rogue as so self-involved she couldn't even appreciate that as a friend. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

A better question to me, is, what qualities does Rogue have that could make her attractable to someone like Gambit, hence there love. and what does someone like Gambit find attractive as far as qualities. Rogue is sassy, strong willed, stubborn, wears her heart on her sleeve and yet maintains a hidden vulnerability and sensitivity that is typically only evident to someone who can recognize and identify it. he's loud and brash, fearless and flirty. She's strong. Why wouldn't Gambit love her. He gets this fun sassy loudmouth which compliments his easy going free and open way of live but he also spots something in her that most miss. When your the person that looks at something that hundreds of people have looked at and see a level of depth others can't, that can be nice. Even better what Gambit sees is something that mirrors his own quiet intensity and introspective qualities. I think its both in their nature to be capable of loving others as well, and even more than that, I think both are more natural flying solo. Arms length from anyone.    

@lykopis:  Great post, also, Gambit likes Rogue because she was only famous because of the Fox cartoon. Oh oh and wait, no never mind, Gambit likes Rogue because she soloed Thor, the Avengers, Juggernaut, Hulk, Vision, Thing and She Hulk. 

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Purgy

@SarahB said:

@lykopis said:

Gambit loves Rogue because he saw in her someone who despite a brash exterior, needed to be shown she was loveable and worth fighting for. Rogue has a big heart and so does Gambit and I would even go so far as to say that by having someone as genuine and sweet as her fall in love with him made him feel worthwhile himself. He loved her while she was untouchable, loved her knowing that he could never touch her, and for a tactile man like him, that is a real testament to the extent of his affections.

Having said that -- Gambit hopefully moves on. He's proved his love for her long enough. I will always believe Rogue will be the love of his life, but the way things stand now, she doesn't deserve him. And she's my favourite character.

Well said. Rogue had been all but ignored as a beautiful woman by all the X-Men because of her power. Gambit looked past that and saw her as a woman and while it was just attraction at first, it was obvious he admired her strength living with her isolation as she did and came to love her all the more for it. Gambit's never been given the credit he should have for standing by Rogue even when things got bad and it was way worse than what most of the x-relationships had to deal with (some because of him and some not). Its a darn shame Carey wrote Rogue as so self-involved she couldn't even appreciate that as a friend.

I agree with both post so much. But manly the writers have been just going toe to toe on this relationship. And i agree Gambit should move on for now.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp said:

WORDS OF WISDOM.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CODYSF

@BlackArmor said:

@LoganRogue24 said:

cause shes hot

This!!!

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By evilvegeta74

Because they both steal! He takes valuables and she takes powers, birds of a feather flock together! He's just always been love sick over her!

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Hunter114

@ReVamp said:

WORDS OF WISDOM.

And love isn't about whether a girl (et al) is "bangable" or "has an accent" it's an emotional connection that develops over time... if you want to know why Gambit is attracted to Rogue... it's probably because of the chase, he could never "get with her" and people are more attracted to things they can't have, which led them to have more of an emotional connection, rather than a physical one, bringing them closer together... or something like that

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@Hunter114 said:

@ReVamp said:

WORDS OF WISDOM.

And love isn't about whether a girl (et al) is "bangable" or "has an accent" it's an emotional connection that develops over time... if you want to know why Gambit is attracted to Rogue... it's probably because of the chase, he could never "get with her" and people are more attracted to things they can't have, which led them to have more of an emotional connection, rather than a physical one, bringing them closer together... or something like that

That doesn't seem accurate at all.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunter114

@ReVamp:

um... ok... can you elaborate on that?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    It's the hair.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReVamp

@Hunter114 said:

@ReVamp:

um... ok... can you elaborate on that?

I guess that its only fair.

You said that the chase and not being able to have sexual interactions with her are what led him to have an emotional connection, which would mean that the reason that Gambit loves Rogue is because she's a disabled human who can't touch anyone. I simply don't think that right, and that Gambit's love isn't as shallow as that.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hunter114

@ReVamp:

What I meant was that there was a greater chance of creating an emotional connection because there wasn't a physical one. I'll grant that what I said was in fairly simple terms and that there is more complexity to it, but the way I see it is that Gambit knew he couldn't touch her, so he would just flirt with her, and then she would flirt with him back and it then became a game for them both.

They had fun together and formed a better and stronger bond between them, as friends, which then developed over time. It's not the reason why he loves her, because the "real" reason is obviously more complex than that, but it's one of the biggest contributing factors, at least in my opinion anyway.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RoboShark

Ever had a southern girl whisper in your ear to pee in her butt?

Avatar image for andrea_mendoza1997
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

:) Never thought of that...

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oraclefyre

I think he just wanted a challenge. Rogue=ultimate challenge. But with Rogue, he couldn't physically touch her so he found a closeness with her in other ways. He may not have been able to touch her skin, but, corny as it may sound, he got under her skin. He was probably the only person Rogue ever let close to herself because he was willing to get close to her.

I will forever hate Rogneto.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AweSam

Because they both destroy everything they touch.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Twentyfive

No love like Southern Love.

And besides, Rogue is untouchable, which makes her even hotter. We all want what we can't have.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @oraclefyre said:

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Purgy

@oraclefyre said:

I think he just wanted a challenge. Rogue=ultimate challenge. But with Rogue, he couldn't physically touch her so he found a closeness with her in other ways. He may not have been able to touch her skin, but, corny as it may sound, he got under her skin. He was probably the only person Rogue ever let close to herself because he was willing to get close to her.

So true and i wish they never came up with Rogneto

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stumpy49er

"I will forever hate Rogneto." ~oraclefyre~ Yeah, I love both characters individualy but Magneto will always be a villain to me, who has repeatedly tried to kill thousands, perhaps millions of humans, because he's racist (against humans) and believes he's superior to humans. How does one forgive this? Let alone fall in love with this? Of course I did just say I love Magneto, but as a villain, like how I love the Joker as a villain. But if the Joker were a real person, I would despise him. Same with Magneto! Rogue being in love with Magneto just makes me not like her any more. I used to love Rogue but now I kind of hate her. Gambit is better off far away from that hussie! ...sorry, just had to rant!

Purgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Purgy

@stumpy49er said:

"I will forever hate Rogneto." ~oraclefyre~ Yeah, I love both characters individualy but Magneto will always be a villain to me, who has repeatedly tried to kill thousands, perhaps millions of humans, because he's racist (against humans) and believes he's superior to humans. How does one forgive this? Let alone fall in love with this? Of course I did just say I love Magneto, but as a villain, like how I love the Joker as a villain. But if the Joker were a real person, I would despise him. Same with Magneto! Rogue being in love with Magneto just makes me not like her any more. I used to love Rogue but now I kind of hate her. Gambit is better off far away from that hussie! ...sorry, just had to rant!

Well just gotta see how this will go?

Avatar image for iamlovewithin500
    Iamlovewithin500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Iamlovewithin500
    @RoboShark said:

Ever had a southern girl whisper in your ear to pee in her butt?

WTF  O_o
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @ReVamp said:

Avatar image for roroonthedownlow
    Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Roroonthedownlow
    I will always believe Rogue will be the love of his life, but the way things stand now, she doesn't deserve him. And she's my favourite character.

Sad face. She needs to redeem herself or else she'll be the new Cyclops- someone who acts like a douche to everyone but still gets treated like they're infallible by the other characters and the writers.

Avatar image for superskrull1985
    superskrull1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By superskrull1985

Gambit enjoyed teasing her, especially when they first met. He always wanted to steal a kiss and I think he liked the feeling it gave rogue.

RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RazielWraith

This is the wrong place to be asking a question like this... only 4 people gave a real answer to this

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the writers were lazy and made them a couple because they were both southerners. Looking at the two in hindsight they would be among the last two I would have pictured together.

Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Roroonthedownlow

She used to be really cool, that's why.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By darktiger

cause she a hot,crazy,sexy girl

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LoganRogue24

@Brazen_Intellect: i agree iam not a big romy fan i prefer her with someone like logan or maybe colossus perhaps.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#38  Edited By x_29

Cause she is strong willed.

Cause she has a sexy southern belle accent

Cause she is sassy.

Cause she is hot.

Cause she can kick your ass.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LoganRogue24

@x_29: agreed.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By infonation

@LoganRogue24: Why does Gambit love Rogue? The script said so of course! LOL But seriously, I think it's time for those two to see other people! MARVEL needs to take a chance on one of their more popular couples and see if they can do better!

SarahB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SarahB
    @infonation said:  I think it's time for those two to see other people! MARVEL needs to take a chance on one of their more popular couples and see if they can do better! 

They already tried with Rogue and its been a complete disaster.  The crap with Magneto has made every one involved look like they lost their memory and are brain dead - well save Magneto who of course got to look like he was irresistable.   Wolverine and romance is a joke period and she's more likely to get thrown at Havok next.  Marvel can't do better they just lucked into Gambit and Rogue in the first place.  They weren't chosen to be together  because they were southern, they were just going to flirt but it caught on in spite of Marvel's intentions not because of them because the characters were both fun and flirty and were rebels together until Marvel had to bring angst into everything.      

That said Gambit and Rogue need time apart.  With her in UA and him in his own book  I'm sure we won't hardly see them interact for two years minimum.                  

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LoganRogue24

@infonation: i just wish they would giveLogan Rogue or Colossus Rogue a try as a couple. i prefer Logan Rogue but if not them then i would have Colossus Rogue as a backup couple.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LoganRogue24

@SarahB: i thought i heard chris claremont or somebody say once that Gambit and Rogue were never meant to become a long term couple it was kind of a fluke or accident or something. ik there not many fans who like the isea of Wolverine and Rogue but i do and i would like them to be given a fair chance now thats not alot to ask in my opion.

SarahB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SarahB
    @LoganRogue24

Claremont did give Rogue and Colossus at brief shot.  He was just as boring with Rogue as he was with Kitty.  And you know I honestly wouldn't mind them having Rogue and Wolverine try it and fail (because Wolverine is a crap boyfriend) but it could be fun but I know it would likely screw up his great friendship with her and that would make me sad.  If they coudl do Rogue and Wolverine as friends with benefits that end amicably and is never treated like one of Wolverine's fifty thousand conquests as he gets every superheroine out there then I wouldn't mind it  Unfortunately I think that has the likely hood of happening as a real pig flying. 
    LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LoganRogue24

i see your point maybe wolverine will be alone cause hes not very bright when it comes to romance huh.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By infonation

@LoganRogue24: It's WORSE than that I'm afraid, not only does Wolverine's taste in women prove time and again to be troublesome at BEST. But even when he DOES find the right girl, he loses her to sheer bad luck! Wolverine just can't seem to catch a break when it comes to his love-life! At least he does better in alternate realities, (He had a daughter with Storm called "Torrent" and she inherited her mother's powers and her father's healing factor!) but sadly, in regular continuity he's forced to stay single because GOD FORBID he looks like he's ready for retirement in any way, shape or FORM.

Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Roroonthedownlow

@LoganRogue24: I think that it came about by accident is probably better. Look at the couples who the writer had been banking on setting up their whole runs- they're bloody awful. How long did Carey plan for Rogue to bang Mags and how forced and inorganic did it seem when he finally got around to it?

CC's no stranger to this either. His 'on purpose' couples like Scott and Jean and Piotr and Kitty are boring. There's no life or spark there, just authorial mandate.

Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Roroonthedownlow

@SarahB: Ugh, I so agree. Any attempt that's been made to hook Rogue up with another guy has been awful. If writers really want to make couples that catch fans' imagination they should let it happen organically- throw a bunch of characters into the mix, see who sparks off who and who the fans are getting behind.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I don't know if it happened in comics or the 90s cartoon first, but I always saw it as the forbidden fruit. He couldn't really have her so he was obsessed and pined over her.

Seige_Perilous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Seige_Perilous
    No Caption Provided

Gambit was a huge flirt with the entire team, but I guess that Rogue became his favorite person to tease. Their personalities meshed. Jubilee was too young for him to be interested in her, Jean was taken, and Psylocke was too distant. Rogue was easily the most fun female member of the X-Men and she happened to be incredibly sexy as well. As the above panel shows, Gambit didn't love her right away and maybe his original intentions with her weren't serious/right. He liked being around her, but he also liked the thrill of the chase. He wanted Rogue to love him before he himself was actually ready to love.

But I think that, by nature of the fact that they couldn't touch, their ongoing flirtation actually prompted Gambit to change for the better. He was able to spend time with Rogue and get to know her. As he said in one of the comics, she was his chance to learn that love was more than something physical. I think that was a really powerful lesson for Gambit and this is why Rogue will always be the love of his life. Moreso than Rogue, he seems very aware of all that they have gone through. When you know someone for that long and that intimately, it's hard not to love them.

I've always thought that Rogue and Gambit were an interesting couple. They were really fun in the 90s, they looked good together, and it was cool to see the tension between their mutual physical attraction and their inability to act on it. Too bad writers weren't able to write them very well for awhile - not a fan of the unnecessary angst, love triangles, and flightiness.

Rogue is possibly my favorite X-Men character, but I really hate how her relationship with Gambit was treated for awhile. Although they seemed to have genuinely had feelings for each other in the past, Rogue in recent years seems to constantly disregard Gambit's feelings. Rogue's indecision with Gambit made it seem like she was toying with him, while he looked like a fool for acting as her lapdog. The writers were seriously trolling us when the first person Rogue sleeps with after getting her powers under control... is Magneto. It sort of feels like Rogue was just leading Gambit on for years. Of course, he wasn't perfect either, but the thing that always seems to ring clear is that despite Gambit's many mistakes, he genuinely loves Rogue. Sometimes, it's not so clear whether Rogue "loved" Gambit because, for years, it seemed like he was her only option, or because she genuinely cared for him romantically.

I still want them to ultimately end up together. They need to be friends first. I get that Rogue has the right to explore her new sexual freedom... But hopefully she'll realize that she had the most chemistry with Gambit. And Rogue needs to be appreciative of Gambit's devotion/friendship. Then they need to be together.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.