To All You Gambit Fans Out There, Please Tell Me...

#1 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Gambit is one of the "better known" X-Men, but can anyone tell me what GOOD stories he's been in? I mean, for the longest time, he's been an X-Men staple, main-cast of the TAS, been in every cartoon, most X-video games, and whatnot. But honestly, this characters gets sidelined. a lot.

Can anyone tell me what good stories he's been in? Any character defining moments? Or is he just known for being there most of the time?

[And before anyone jumps the gun. Yes, I have read his latest Gambit adventures, the first three issues at least, and besides thinking the first issue was a masterpiece, I thought the issues went downhill for me as it went on.]

#2 Posted by danhimself (22624 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed Wolverine/Gambit: Victims. It's not a character defining story by any means, but i do like the way he's written and drawn there :)

#4 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men 33 (1994) was a Gambit story that always stood out to me. It talks about his first run in with Sabretooth.

#5 Posted by judasnixon (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Gambit fan I can honestly say no, can't think of one good story he's been in off the top of my mind, maybe Massiah Complex? I like Gambit as a home team thing. New Orleans doesn't have that many superheroes whose powers doesn't involve Voodoo......

#6 Edited by DurararaFTW (73 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a villian for a lot of it but he was pretty cool in Messiah Complex and the X-Men/Cable issues leading up to it. He was written quite well in X-23 too. Also, i liked him when he was in a line-up with Cable, Jean and Beast after Cyclops disappeared sometime around Revolution.

#7 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Guyver said:

X-Men 33 (1994) was a Gambit story that always stood out to me. It talks about his first run in with Sabretooth.

That was a great issue!

it's a good example of what was great about Gambit in the 90's; he really has rarely ever been that important to the bigger X-men stories, but he always stood out as being the cool guy on smaller teams. Wish we saw more of him in those types of roles nowadays.

#8 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically Gambit is composed of a ton of small stories, but no "wow" moments.

I guess most X-Men are like that, but its weird though, because I always imagined he had some bigger role besides being the "cool guy in a jacket and a stick".

#9 Posted by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

So basically Gambit is composed of a ton of small stories, but no "wow" moments.

I guess most X-Men are like that, but its weird though, because I always imagined he had some bigger role besides being the "cool guy in a jacket and a stick".

That's kind of how I feel. The Gambit Classic trade paperback is good and there are plenty of single issue comics where he has some great moments, but never anything truly character defining.

There's hope for the future though; I'd like to believe.

#10 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of X

X-Men Origins - Gambit (character defining as in it shows A: His connection with Mister Sinister, and B: How he was briefly the leader of the fabled Mutant Massacre)

Day of the Atom storyline (Gambit is blind for several issues after one of his cards explodes in his face)

The Blood of Apocalypse storyline (Gambit becomes the Horsemen Death)

There are some other interesting stories here and there. He's featured alot in the early 90's X-Men run.

There's also the current ongoing Gambit series.

Anyone who says Gambit doesnt have any "wow" moments isnt a Gambit fan lol

#11 Posted by judasnixon (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit is like Apple Jacks cereal people can't tell you why they like it, they just do......

#12 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, here's to hoping James Asmus does some wonderful storylines with him. I see great potential in Gambit, even though he's been fleshed out already so much. The sad part to me is that all his fleshing out and character analysis was forced on him as opposed to telling a fun tale which so happens to coincide with his past.

#13 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall said:

Age of X

X-Men Origins - Gambit (character defining as in it shows A: His connection with Mister Sinister, and B: How he was briefly the leader of the fabled Mutant Massacre)

Day of the Atom storyline (Gambit is blind for several issues after one of his cards explodes in his face)

There are some other interesting stories here and there. He's featured alot in the early 90's X-Men run.

This.

#14 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: I enjoyed his solo back around ...oh man, 2000? 2001? I remember it was when Gail Simone was writing Deadpool and there was a pretty decent Bishop solo as well.

Anyway, in it we learn that the Gambits from different universes are getting murdered by someone named "New Son" and Remmy's powers get amped to Phoenix levels as a secondary mutation. Essentially, he was capable of starting a runaway cascade of destruction that would have enveloped the Earth. (Think the molecular weapons in Ender's Game.) He burns out this power permanently taking down the big bad though.

#15 Edited by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of X

Really? So even though I buy every comic I can get my hands on that has Gambit in and consider him my favorite character; because I think he could be written better I'm not really a Gambit fan?

Age of X was good and he was my favorite part of that, but he was featured as barely more than a side character.

I criticize his series, though I buy every issue, because I want it to be good.

I do think Gambit has had some great moments, that is part of why he's my favorite character, but another reason is because I feel like he has so much potential that has yet to be shown.

#16 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Written by Fabian Nicieza, one of the two main X-writers in the 90s. I hate to say it, but besides Lobdell's early 90s run, I didn't think these two had GREAT writing skills :\ I'm always very afraid of getting X-Books from the 90s and early 2000s on the basis that a) The market was flooded with them, b) I heard most of them reached mediocrity at best.

I was going to call blasphemy on the Simone Deadpool, but I guess the early 00s of Marvel were a lot different (and yes, I checked it out, I remember hearing something about Soldier X and Agent X in the past). Then again, there was a time when Greg Capullo, Grant Morrison and even Robert Kirkman were working for Marvel, so I guess anything is possible in the past.

#17 Edited by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er: The lol at the end of my statement was meant to show it as a sign of "humor." I dont know, or even care, if you are or arent a real Gambit fan. But when you say such silly things as "he's never had anything character defining" it pretty much says it all :)

And although he may have been a side character on Age of X its the first and only time he's ever been shown charging bullets as a weapon. Which is something Gambit fans have questioned for years leading up to the moment. Bullet charging antique rifle Gambit is easily the coolest rendition of the character to date.

#18 Posted by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er: The lol at the end of my statement was meant to show it as a sign of "humor." I dont know, or even care, if you are or arent a real Gambit fan. But when you say such silly things as "he's never had anything character defining" it pretty much says it all :)

And although he may have been a side character on Age of X its the first and only time he's ever been shown charging bullets as a weapon. Which is something Gambit fans have questioned for years leading up to the moment. Bullet charging antique rifle Gambit is easily the coolest rendition of the character to date.

Silly me; wanting my favorite character to be involved in better stories and have more character development. lol :)

I agree about the rifle firing Gambit. It was awesome. Wish it would make its way over to the current series; he briefly carried it in X Men Legacy but never used it.

#19 Edited by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er: lol wanting better stories is one thing, saying he has never had a "wow" moment or "character defining" moment is another ;P Wouldn't you agree disintegrating Daken's arm was a WoW moment? Or the revelation that Gambit can charge human skin? I agree I would like to see more and better stories and moments but thats not to say he doesnt already have awesome ones.

#20 Posted by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er: lol wanting better stories is one thing, saying he has never had a "wow" moment or "character defining" moment is another ;P Wouldn't you agree disintegrating Daken's arm was a WoW moment? Or the revelation that Gambit can charge human skin? I agree I would like to see more and better stories and moments but thats not to say he doesnt already have awesome ones.

I absolutely agree he has had awesome moments. I was wrong to say he doesn't have any truly character defining moments.

I just want more!

I sound like Veruca Salt.

Jeez!

#21 Posted by Fukuro_Zoku (4698 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er:

You keep stuff like that up and I may just start stalking the Gambit threads for ideas.

I really liked the one where he beat up Daken. Which was huge for me because Daken was being built up (in my eyes, I felt like it) as the next Wolverine, except better, a really tough guy in the Marvel U. He beat up Wolverine and many of the X-men, as well as some of his old rivals. But Gambit was able to whoop his ass (at least for a good bit).

I also think, while maybe not a single big moment, I liked the relationship he was building with X-23 when her and Wolverine started getting distant, and if I recall correctly, there was a moment where he called Wolverine out, like "you're so worried about this son who doesn't even like you, you forgot all about little Laura." Or maybe I dreamt that. ^_^ But if I didn't, I'd consider that to be something.
#22 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Strigidae_ said:

@stumpy49er:

You keep stuff like that up and I may just start stalking the Gambit threads for ideas. I really liked the one where he beat up Daken. Which was huge for me because Daken was being built up (in my eyes, I felt like it) as the next Wolverine, except better, a really tough guy in the Marvel U. He beat up Wolverine and many of the X-men, as well as some of his old rivals. But Gambit was able to whoop his ass (at least for a good bit). I also think, while maybe not a single big moment, I liked the relationship he was building with X-23 when her and Wolverine started getting distant, and if I recall correctly, there was a moment where he called Wolverine out, like "you're so worried about this son who doesn't even like you, you forgot all about little Laura." Or maybe I dreamt that. ^_^ But if I didn't, I'd consider that to be something.

I sense Gambit fan-fiction in the making at this rate :P

And yes, Gambit Rifle was pretty cool. Besides being in his ongoing, is he anywhere post-Marvel NOW!?

#23 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: He's in X-Termination Alpha, Astonishing X-Men, the final issue of Legacy

#24 Edited by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@_Strigidae_ said:

@stumpy49er:

You keep stuff like that up and I may just start stalking the Gambit threads for ideas. I really liked the one where he beat up Daken. Which was huge for me because Daken was being built up (in my eyes, I felt like it) as the next Wolverine, except better, a really tough guy in the Marvel U. He beat up Wolverine and many of the X-men, as well as some of his old rivals. But Gambit was able to whoop his ass (at least for a good bit). I also think, while maybe not a single big moment, I liked the relationship he was building with X-23 when her and Wolverine started getting distant, and if I recall correctly, there was a moment where he called Wolverine out, like "you're so worried about this son who doesn't even like you, you forgot all about little Laura." Or maybe I dreamt that. ^_^ But if I didn't, I'd consider that to be something.

I sense Gambit fan-fiction in the making at this rate :P

And yes, Gambit Rifle was pretty cool. Besides being in his ongoing, is he anywhere post-Marvel NOW!?

Did you say Gambit fan fic?

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/character-creation-contest-8/757108/#60

#25 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasnt all him, but he had some pretty hefty camera time in the x-23 solo book that just ended last year. Although I just read the end, so he may just be in the last year or so.

#26 Posted by Hanklerfishy (3 posts) - - Show Bio

All that Sass~!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.