Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

The X-Perts: Gambit

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Reading right now

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercy_

How would you describe the core of who Gambit is and what is most important to him?

Gillen: Gambit's just one of those classic conflicted characters, torn between a fundamental selfishness—or, at best, self-interest—and the realization that [this] isn't right. His shows of genuine compassion are all the more striking now because of where he's come from. I mean, put aside his recent interactions with Rogue. Look at his interactions with X-23. A man of experience who is man enough to realize that not all experience is worthwhile. He'd roll his eyes at anyone who takes the Sinatra-ian "Regrets? I've had a few, etc" line.

Does Gambit like being a member of the X-Men? What keeps him affiliated with them?

Liu: I don't know if he likes being a member of the X-Men, so much as he likes some of the people there, and feels obligated to stick by them, and guard their backs. It's a 'people' thing that has him sticking around, and not philosophical.

What are Gambit’s most honorable qualities? His least honorable qualities?

Carey: His chimerical gallantry. His insane courage. His anarchic shrewdness.
    When he first joined the X-Men, Gambit served as a cynical and occasionally ruthless counterpoint to their stern virtue. They’ve met him more than halfway now—in fact, in some ways, they’ve surpassed him: the X-Men’s moral mainstream has changed so much that Gambit now seems more like a Robin Hood among them, a principled thief with a paradoxically strong code of ethics. He’s still got that ruthless streak, and he can be dishonest both in concealing information and in lying outright. And he has a weakness for going it alone when he ought to trust the people around him. That was what got him sucked into Apocalypse’s wake.

Do you think the rest of the X-Men really trust Gambit?

Liu: No, not really. I don't think they know him, that's the problem. The individuals who do—Storm, Jubilee, X-23—would trust him with their lives, without question. Everyone else? Not so much. To them, he's a wild card, so to speak. They see his reputation first, before they see the man.

How does Gambit’s relationship with Rogue color his place among the X-Men?

Liu: I wish it didn't! If this was real life, that relationship would be one of those bad running jokes that people tell each other around dinner, or when there's nothing else to talk about and so you go to the one topic that's only less boring than dull silence. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a fan of Gambit and Rogue, but the relationship doesn't do either of them any favors.

Those are my favorite answers.

And if anything other then seeing awesome insights into characters from the writes has come from the X-Perts panels, it's the fact that I have complete and absolute faith in the fact that Gillen seems to know these characters like the back of his hand. Uncanny is finally in good hands, possibly even great ones.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Sweet as, thank you for posting Jrock! Some good answers, I think they all did pretty well actually. Which sort of makes it all the more pity that he is not used more, or their sentiment doesn't come across as well as they state here. Liu was awesome. lol I like how almost all of them mentioned Storm... its nice sort of vindication. This has been my fav so far. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercy_

@SC: Gillen <3 I'm so pleased with his answers in these so far.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

Nice article.  

I think that if Gambit absolutely had to choose a side, he'd go with Wolverine's. If he can mentor X-23, why not try to teach Logan a thing or two? Storm, Jubilee, and X-23 would no doubt trust him with their lives. I think Gambit trusts them too, with the addition of Rogue. I do not think Rogue trusts him (which is a shame, if you ask me).  

I disagree with that one part about how he may not be trusted because he wasn't on the X-Force team. Cyclops wanted people who knew would kill. Gambit only killed for the Marauders because he had to fulfill his deal with Sinister. Also, I don't think Gambit would kill for Cyclops (or for anyone for that matter if he didn't owe them something big). He's never liked responding to tight authority, why would he start under those circumstances? 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress said:

@SC: Gillen <3 I'm so pleased with his answers in these so far.

I had a feeling you would like Gillen. At least once he builds up some steam. I find that he is a slow burn. He def gets the characters better than... you know who...  

I am looking forward to his Emma answers. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_

@SC: CANNOT wait for the Emma one. I'm hoping that it's next.

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ashra

Liu was spot on with Gambit -- answers mirror my own opinions on Gambit nearly down to the Tee.    Especially his relationship with the X-Men, his bond/trust with Storm, Jubilee, X-23, and the travesty that is the Rogue/Gambit relationship.  Great interpretation on Gambit from Liu; should be writing for Gambit.  

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_

@Ashra: You're not a fan of the Rogue/Gambit relationship, either?

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ashra
    @The Dark Huntress said:

@Ashra: You're not a fan of the Rogue/Gambit relationship, either?

To put it lightly -- YES :)  Never have been a fan of the pairing. 
     Gambit's my second favorite X-character, and I think, like Liu said:  the relationship doesn't do either him or Rogue any favors.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Ashra said:
    Great interpretation on Gambit from Liu; should be writing for Gambit.  

Have you been reading her X-23 ongoing? I mean, you might be, but just a heads up just in case, she starts using Remy a lot a few issues in and has been writing him tremendously. Its almost like a X-23/Gambit due ongoing. I'd like to see her writing an X-Men team book one day. 
    Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ashra
    @SC said:
    @Ashra said:
    Great interpretation on Gambit from Liu; should be writing for Gambit.  
     Have you been reading her X-23 ongoing? I mean, you might be, but just a heads up just in case, she starts using Remy a lot a few issues in and has been writing him tremendously. Its almost like a X-23/Gambit due ongoing. I'd like to see her writing an X-Men team book one day. 
    Nah, I haven't been actually.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to check 'em out. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jrock85
    @SC said:
    Sweet as, thank you for posting Jrock! Some good answers, I think they all did pretty well actually. Which sort of makes it all the more pity that he is not used more, or their sentiment doesn't come across as well as they state here. Liu was awesome. lol I like how almost all of them mentioned Storm... its nice sort of vindication. This has been my fav so far. 
    For a guy who can so eloquently and keenly describe the character, Carey almost never does him any justice on panel! The guy he was speaking of in this interview is not appearing in Legacy right now, which sucks because Carey is more than capable of doing a better job with him. 

@The Dark Huntress
    I think they all had some pretty good answers and showed considerable knowledge of the character. I do believe his relationship with Storm should have been touched on a little more. 

@Ashra
    You should definitely be reading X-23 if you want a good Gambit fix.
    natejoseph09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By natejoseph09

Some news: 

Nick Lowe: I don't want to lie to Whalers77. You'll see Storm and Gambit in "Schism," but not in major roles. There just wasn't room for them to play big roles in the story. Storm and Gambit are very big parts of two of the books coming out of "Schism," though.

So do people think they mean the two new books "Wolverine and the X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men". Or the ones we already have (boooo!).
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Gambit1024
    @natejoseph09 said:

Some news: 

Nick Lowe: I don't want to lie to Whalers77. You'll see Storm and Gambit in "Schism," but not in major roles. There just wasn't room for them to play big roles in the story. Storm and Gambit are very big parts of two of the books coming out of "Schism," though.
       So do people think they mean the two new books "Wolverine and the X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men". Or the ones we already have (boooo!).
    Ugh, Storm and Gambit never play a big role in anything. I'm willing to bet that they're both gonna be in the Wolverine and the X-Men book. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jrock85
    @natejoseph09 said:

Some news: 

I'd like to know what his definition of a "major role" is. LOL
    MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

It amazes me how Carey seems to understand Gambit as a character perfectly in interviews, yet he keeps writing him as a passive, boring character who doesn't get to do anything other than reacting to Rogue's behaviour. Gambit hasn't really done anything interesting in the recent issues of Carey's X-Men: Legacy. He just hangs around, takes part in battles, and occasionally comments Rogue actions while he's exchanging insults with Frenzy. I just don't get how Carey gets him so wrong in the comics and so right in interviews. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.