Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Taylor Kitsch Gives His Thoughts On A Gambit Spin-off

• 52 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

I wasn't completely crazy about Taylor Kitsch's performance as Gambit in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" but I did start warming up to it towards the end.  Now that Gambit has been established, is the time right for a spin-off movie (what do you call a spin-off of a spin-off)?

Maybe Gambit isn't always used to his full potential in the comics but he is a cool character.  There's no question why Kitsch would want to continue wearing Gambit's trenchcoat.  The actor has mentioned that he would like to see Gambit take a darker path and get into the Thieves Guild element of the character.  Kitsch has also brought up the subject of Rogue.  He mentions that he thinks Anna Paquin is a great actress and he'd like to work with her.  Kitsch also says that he doesn't want Gambit to be tied down to just one woman. 

This brings up a good question.  Could Gambit and Rogue be together in this movie universe?  In the first movie, Rogue was younger.  "Wolverine Origins" takes place which makes Gambit a bit older that Rogue.  Unless they completely disregard those movies, Rogue and Gambit couldn't be "together" until after X3.  There's also Bella Donna Boudreaux that could come into the scene.

Do you think writers should try to find a way to get them together?  What would you like to see in a Gambit spin-off?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Heeeeeellllll Nooooooo!! Enough with the Gambit/Rogue on again off again love dance. Gambit is suppose to be a player. He use to charm a wide collection of ladies but for several years now Marvel's had him whipped by Rogue (a chick he cant even get wit). I'm over it. I would love to see a Gambit spin off. What I dont wanna see is Gambit tied to Rogue and the movie looking more like "Twlight" then a tail about the Thieves Guild.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think a Gambit Rogue romance is completely off the table. If they disregard the other movies then they would probably recast in order to not confuse people. Like Incredible Hulk.

What I'd like to see in a Gambit spin-off movie is the Thieves Guild, Sinister, perhaps Shadow King and a young Storm to be his partner in crime and possibly romantic interest. The movie should end with Gambit and Storm ending up at the Xavier Institute.

Plus if there's a chance of getting a Gambit movie maybe they'll give us a definitive Gambit origin in the comics. Like how we got Logan's origin after the first X-Men movie since they wanted to have it established first.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

He does say he wants to show Gambit's "playa" aspect.  Maybe so he can be on screen with more actresses?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Thats one thing I was kind of disappointed with in the Origins movie. Gambit should of had a couple showgirl/Barmaid type chicks on either side of him when we first see him playing cards. Every "playa" has at least two honeys with him at the poker table.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By The_Martian

I wouldn't mind a Gambit movie.

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the Vica

I really don't think Gambit could handle his own film, considering all of his solo comic book series' haven't really worked out.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By pixelized

Gambit and rogue on the big screen? gross. they're a part of each other's history, which is fine, but it's so washed that the color has faded. I love gambit, really i do, but i could do without a gambit spin-off if all it's going to be is an hour long movie set to Britney Spears', "Womanizer"

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kitsch's performance was good and all but to me he didnt really portray Gambit, i felt like he wasnt really Gambit...I was also shocked to not hear him say monsheer i dont know how to spell it but Gambit says it quite a bit in the 90's cartoon...

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    the Vica said:
    "I really don't think Gambit could handle his own film, considering all of his solo comic book series' haven't really worked out."
    thank you for paraphrasing me!
    Samuraikenpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Samuraikenpo

lets work on making better x-men movies istead of giving everyone their own movie besides the only person in that whole movie who actually was great was ryan reynolds except at the end when baraka came out.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'm not crazy about either Gambit or Deadpool having their own solo films.  Wolverine had to wait 3 whole films before he got a solo film.  A couple of support characters who had about 15 minutes of air time each are now rumoured to get their own spin-offs which will cost millions of dollars to produce??  It just seems a little hopeful to me... I mean, I can't blame Kitsch or Reynolds for wanting to carry on playing the characters (and getting lots of money & adoration that comes with it ;) but after 15 minutes of screen time I'm not convinced they can carry a whole 90 minute film.  Each.

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the Vica
    inferiorego said:
    "the Vica said:
    "I really don't think Gambit could handle his own film, considering all of his solo comic book series' haven't really worked out."
    thank you for paraphrasing me!"
    That's Ok. I figured you had better things to do than repeat yourself :P
    Rod12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Rod12

I'm excited for a X-Men Origins: Gambit Movie when it comes out.

KingRobfromVF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KingRobfromVF

I hated the fact he didnt sound like Gambit if he does a movie hes got to get the accent down

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the Vica
    Rod12 said:
    "I'm excited for a X-Men Origins: Gambit Movie when it comes out."
    Don't  get your hopes up, there won't be one.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I didn't like him in Wolverine so I doubt I will want to see him in his own flick.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Captain Cascader

Really like the actor, really hated his portrayal of Gambit. Sorry, he just didn't do a very good job with it.

captainrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By captainrage

I thought his portrayal of Gambit was pretty good, you know, in the full 5 minutes he had on screen. In my eyes though, Gambit was only ever two things; hot and good a cards.. Both points covered in the film.
    I just wish they'd portrayed him as they had in the animated series... That would have been, in the parlance of you kids, f*cking sweet.

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By csimon

He sucked i hope it was the 1st and last time we seem as gambit

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Gothic Storm

He is a young actor plain and simple. Trust me, there are TONS of more actors who would have done A LOT worse! I am very intrigued he knows enough about the character that he mentions the thieves guild and Rogue. I love the fact they didn't have him follow the other kids to Prof. X. I will say there is about as much chance to see Rogue and Gambit together as there is to see Jubilee in the next Wolverine movie. We all would like to see a Wolvie/Jubilation team-up, but it just isn't going to happen. They pretty much ruined the Jubilee character by giving her such small roles in the X-men movies.

There are just so many characters in the X-men universe. The Hollywood writers really need to be more careful which ones they choose to put in these movies. Did anyone see Quicksilver and Toad in the Wolverine movie? It's interesting that they all went with Prof. X, perhaps a decent tie-in for the Magneto movie?

Let's say enough with the prequels for now. It's time to press forward and get ready for the Avengers! Maybe Marvel Studios will get smart and come out with a new X-men film about the younger members. Then bring all their characters together for a Secret Wars movie! Alright, so we can all dream can't we?

Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Lifeguard85

If they do a Gambit movie, they need to just skip the whole 'movie universe' thing and take a story from the actual comic for once. Maybe they could even put in characters that make sense for cameo's, like I dunno, Aurora or Copycat instead of Emma Frost, Quicksilver, and Cyclops, since the first two have been used by Weapon X. Granted there is a lot of information to use, but the other comic book movies seem to be at least be trying to do this and are doing alright IMO.

Also, if they do make a Gambit movie and want want to include some of the other women that he has been with, I dont think it should be any other X-Women but Rogue (and just dont explain how they know each other, other than they are both on the X-Men), although, they should get a new actress for her. Like one that can actually play her as the hardcore southern belle she is.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22  Edited By Decept-O

Didn't see the movie probably won't, esp. with all the info I've read which reaffirmed my preconceived notions about this whole thing.  Having said that, and stating I don't mind Gambit and all, but if he appears in any movie, I'd expect him to have the accent.  He didn't have his accent?  Lame.  I don't blame the actor for wanting Anna Paquin.  I want her too.  Bwaa Haa Haa!!

5N1KT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 5N1KT

I agree with a lot of you.. There were points where I thought he forgot he was cajun.. I mean his accent needed to be a lot better.. Gambit had the thickest cajun accent.. a kep component to his character so I don't know how I'd feel with him as Gambit again though I would like to see a Gambit movie...

Vikki Sixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 74

#24  Edited By Vikki Sixx

If they did do a romance between Gambit and Rouge in the movies, I wonder how they would handle the Rouge and Ice Man relationship.

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Vindellavon

Hell to the eff no. This kid sucked in all his ten minute screentime, no need for an hour plus of no suave, no accent, no passion, and absolutely no sex appeal. For God's sake, when Gambit talks, he flirts without even trying, ugh, the amount of times he hit on men without wanting to. Really, Kitsch does better as the broody bad boy, not the suave, sexy, thief with a bo staff.

I'll pass.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Darkchild

I personally would love to see Bella get into the mix

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

Spin-off off a spin-off sounds like a stretch

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xerox_kitty
    Vikki Sixx said:
    "If they did do a romance between Gambit and Rouge in the movies, I wonder how they would handle the Rouge and Ice Man relationship."
    LOL... never mind the fact that Wolvie: Origins was set about 16 years before the first X-Men film making Gambit about 16 years odler than Rogue.  Or the fact that Rogue had "the Cure" at the end of X3.

Lets face it, even if there is a Gambie solo film.  They've screwed around with continuity so much that it wont resemble anything that we'd want to see... or at least, nothing that I'd want to see.
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dane
    The Crimson Nutcase said:
    "Kitsch's performance was good and all but to me he didnt really portray Gambit, i felt like he wasnt really Gambit...I was also shocked to not hear him say monsheer i dont know how to spell it but Gambit says it quite a bit in the 90's cartoon..."
    I don't recall him ever addressing a woman in the movie. It'd take a lot of balls to tell Wolverine "Je t'aime, ma chérie" but you'd probably lose them after.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pixelized
    xerox-kitty said:
    "Vikki Sixx said:
    "If they did do a romance between Gambit and Rouge in the movies, I wonder how they would handle the Rouge and Ice Man relationship."
    LOL... never mind the fact that Wolvie: Origins was set about 16 years before the first X-Men film making Gambit about 16 years odler than Rogue.  Or the fact that Rogue had "the Cure" at the end of X3.Lets face it, even if there is a Gambie solo film.  They've screwed around with continuity so much that it wont resemble anything that we'd want to see... or at least, nothing that I'd want to see."
    Maybe we'll just get Candra and BDB then!
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xerox_kitty
    pixelized said:
    "xerox-kitty said:
    "Vikki Sixx said:
    LOL... never mind the fact that Wolvie: Origins was set about 16 years before the first X-Men film making Gambit about 16 years odler than Rogue.  Or the fact that Rogue had "the Cure" at the end of X3.Lets face it, even if there is a Gambie solo film.  They've screwed around with continuity so much that it wont resemble anything that we'd want to see... or at least, nothing that I'd want to see."
    Maybe we'll just get Candra and BDB then!"

Maybe... But this is Hollywood we're talking about.  Bella will probably turn out to be Rogue's older sister, and Rogue is her clone.  Then it'll turn out that Moonstar was a member of the Thieves Guild, Wolfsbane was his puppy when he was growing up and Wade Wilson was originally one of the Assassins... Or something equally bonkers :(
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pixelized

I laughed, so hard, reading that, thank you.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Gambler said:
    "Heeeeeellllll Nooooooo!! Enough with the Gambit/Rogue on again off again love dance. Gambit is suppose to be a player. He use to charm a wide collection of ladies but for several years now Marvel's had him whipped by Rogue (a chick he cant even get wit). I'm over it. I would love to see a Gambit spin off. What I dont wanna see is Gambit tied to Rogue and the movie looking more like "Twlight" then a tail about the Thieves Guild."
    LMMFAO

im sorry that made me giggle so much!
    Avatar image for harley_wanna_be
    Harley Wanna-be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Harley Wanna-be

Honestly, Marvel based movies only go with the story line about 30% of the time. I don't know what they would do to a Gambit spin off. Maybe they'd end up doing his origins.

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I really want to see:
     X-Men Origins:Rouge
    (which includes  a young nightcrawler,a young Mistique,Mrs. Marvel(short cameo) and Sabertooth)

X-Men Origins:Ice Man(which includes a young pyro and more young X-Men)

X-Men Origins:Beast

X-Men Origins:Wolverine 2

X-Men Origins:Magneto
    (animated,because I don't want to see it in live action;  Marvel are making animated origin Movies 
    such like DC.

X-Men 4(which exaplains Apacalyse origin)

X-Men:First Class(also known as X-Men Origins: Original X-Men)

X-Men Orgins:Gambit
    and
    Deadpool.

captainrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By captainrage

I can't believe out of all the possible X-Men candidates you could have picked, you want to see.. Wolverine 2.

Double lolz. Good times.

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Vindellavon

All we know for sure is that Romy's dead in the movies, unless of course, they plan on getting a Cajun kicking it with a girl twenty years his junior.

loganreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By loganreme
    csimon said:
    "He sucked i hope it was the 1st and last time we seem as gambit"

I totally agree, he had zero charm (which Gambit is full of), his accent was awful and he was missing that certain edge too (though Gambit is only in his twenties, he doesn't act like some young pup who would let Wolverine bitch slap into helping him)  Gambit is older mentally and more experienced that most characters his age. And I was also shocked that he was not seen flirting with the ladies. Comon!  Though the kitsch guy is a half decent actor, I think he lacked the depth to portray him. A Gambit film, in my dreams would be excellent but, in reality I think it would be a dissaster. :)
    xmen_rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xmen_rogue

i would like to see gambit and rogue together!!

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pixelized
    Vindellavon said:
    "

All we know for sure is that Romy's dead in the movies, unless of course, they plan on getting a Cajun kicking it with a girl twenty years his junior.

"

wait, he died?
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#41  Edited By EisforExtinction

Gambit is cool, Taylor Kitsch as Gambit is decidedly less than cool.

You see the dilemma.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LoganRogue24

i hate Gambit i doubt he will get his own movie and i really doubt we will ever see Rogue and gambit in the same room.

Sheep-Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By Sheep-Kill

I say make a film with him and his days with Sinister, getting the Marauders, the Mutnat Massacre, and end it with Gambit saving Storm from Orphan Maker.

Avatar image for jamiemadrox_is_twiztid
    JamieMadrox-Is-TwiZtiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KingRobfromVF: I couldn't agree more! as someone who grew up with the original X-Men cartoons in the early 90's  Gambit's cajun accent is more pronounced, hell in the comics, there are times when he speak cajun-french outright, Taylor Kitsch's accent sounds like an obvious fake, maybe if he should spend sometime in New Orleans and actually get used to the pronouncation of the verbage and the slang he might just be able to make it work.

As far as the plotlines of the movie, I like the idea of exploring The Theives Guild vs. The Assassins Guild,  and yes, Gambit is a player, so to have a Belladonna/*Older*Rogue story could be somewhat entertaining.
    LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LoganRogue24

i doubt we will see Romy in the movie universe unless they start over from scratch or ignore x-1 2 and 3. in a way the Wolverine film did ignore the other films. they ignored that wepon x gave LOgan his claws Stryker said so in x-2.

LauraX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LauraX23

I think that would be Awesome

Lydian Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lydian Sel

Well there was always an awkward father/lover aspect to those movies concerning Rogue & Wolverine so I'd say it's ethical to, say, have Gambit as a more mature X-Men who garner's the affection of a younger Rogue despite all of the bumble-fuck that would incur due to the confliction betwixt the established comic & movie universes. 

But let's not forget that Rogue got rid of her powers in that last flick so why include her in any new plans for an X-Men film??

The answer to this actually lies much later in the spectrum of things, or at least until after X-Men Origins: Magneto has been completed. You remember seeing Ian McKellen move the chess piece at the end of X3? As most of you have figured, if an X-Men Origins: Magneto flick does see production it will probably conclude with some sort of conclusive action regarding the fate of elderly Magneto post "Mutation Cure". If this event happens then sure, it's fine to slot Rogue back into an X-Men film (god forbid Brian Singer is still alive by this time).

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By InnerVenom123

NO!! NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! 

.... or maybe so, idk. 

xD
    LauraX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LauraX23
    @G-Man said:
    "He does say he wants to show Gambit's "playa" aspect.  Maybe so he can be on screen with more actresses?"

AWESOME!
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

God he better not get the part he's horrible! I think Josh Hollyway would be a better pick.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.