Some Thoughts On His Biological Parentage...

#1 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a question I asked Marjorie Liu on her blog:

Do you feel like its time for Gambit’s biological parents to be revealed?

Gosh…that would be a fun story to write.  But would any answer ever be truly satisfying?  Maybe the mystery is better.

I agree with her that there is a certain appeal to the mystery, but at some point I think it does need to be addressed. Fabian Nicieza had plans on adressing this matter in his Gambit ongoing, but he clashed with editorial and eventually left Marvel and the series was cancelled. Mike Carey once said that he had a revelation lined up, but couldn't convince anyone that it was a good idea (I vaguely remember him saying that in his proposed story, Gambit didn't have any actual parents--and this was not a good idea IMO). To be truly satisfying, the answer would have to be something that hasn't been implied before (being a Summers, clone of Sinister, Black Womb, etc.) but still fit within whats already been established. I know this would be a very tough undertaking, but I believe it can be done. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this issue will be dealt with any time soon, if ever.

#2 Posted by CurbsideProphet (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it'll be as big as the Wolverine thing. If they do it right. 

Also, bump(what is that?)

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with her that the mystery is better.  How many people were satisfied with Wolverine's origin when that came out?  Or how they revealed Rogue's real name?  Gambit is the the same... we just don't need that story, or it'll kill a lot of the mystery & intrigue to him.

#4 Posted by IrishX (2460 posts) - - Show Bio

Some things are best left unknown.....
#5 Posted by herculesfan43 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree although i did like the parentage of x-men the end where it turns out that gambit is the son of mister sinister mixed with the dna of scott summers

#6 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
I agree with her that the mystery is better.  How many people were satisfied with Wolverine's origin when that came out?  Or how they revealed Rogue's real name?  Gambit is the the same... we just don't need that story, or it'll kill a lot of the mystery & intrigue to him.
The mysteries of Wolverine's origin and Rogue's real name were intriguing for a while, but both became kind of redundant, and therefore needed to be addressed--even though both revelations might have been a little anticlimactic. Personally, I think Gambit discovering the identities of his biological parents could be a very intriguing story if done right.
#7 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12019 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
@xerox-kitty said:
The mysteries of Wolverine's origin and Rogue's real name were intriguing for a while, but both became kind of redundant, and therefore needed to be addressed--even though both revelations might have been a little anticlimactic. Personally, I think Gambit discovering the identities of his biological parents could be a very intriguing story if done right.
Does he even care, for all i know, Gambit dont care who are those guys, he haved a father and he loved his father.
I dont see why he needs to go and look for something he dont needs.
#8 Posted by natejoseph09 (136 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000 said:
@jrock85 said:
@xerox-kitty said:
Does he even care, for all i know, Gambit dont care who are those guys, he haved a father and he loved his father. I dont see why he needs to go and look for something he dont needs.

Maybe it comes out as part of a storyline. Gambit dosen't need to be actively looking for his parents. 
As all of the mysteries in comics like the ones previously mentioned it's bound to come out. 
Personally i like the idea of him having splices of Dna of lots of people such as Cyclops/Sinister/Jean Grey etc to create the perfect mutant. (until his power downgrade) 
#9 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000
He tried to find out who they were in his first ongoing, but he discovered that all records of his birth had been deleted from the hospital in which he was born. He may not be obsessed with finding out who his parents are, but imagine he does want to know, eventually.
#10 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12019 posts) - - Show Bio
@natejoseph09: @jrock85: As part of a storyline, not as a focus of a storyline.
I could live with that, but Gambit is rich, i mean remember Deadpool cant belive Gambit haved 3 million dollar, he later found that Gambit is rich, so i find hard to belive with all the money that Gambit have, he care to know who his parents are or were, i mean he could pay for that information.
#11 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@DeathpooltheT1000
Who exactly would he pay to get that information? Sinister and Apocalypse are probably the only two people who know who his parents are and they don't need his money.
#12 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
This. With some characters the constant mystery is what makes them more appealing.  
#13 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz
With all the hints that we've been given over the years, such as Sinister saying he has "good genes" and Apocalypse commenting on his "unique heritage", I think there should be a big payoff to this mystery.
#14 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
@Kallarkz:  With all the hints that we've been given over the years, such as Sinister saying he has "good genes" and Apocalypse commenting on his "unique heritage", I think there should be a big payoff to this mystery.
mmmm. well if they do decide to reveal it all I would hope they would give it justice and not rush it into a single issue.
#15 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kallarkz
Of course. This story would have to be carefully crafted with little to no margin for error.
#16 Posted by cattlebattle (13168 posts) - - Show Bio
@IrishX said:
agreed, also I hate how a majority of X-Characters are related for some weird retconned reasons.

Is there any reason for Polaris to be related to Magneto?? Why beacause they have the same powers? So I suppose Professor X Jean and Emma are all related as well, and I never liked the whole black womb story, can't a guy just be born untainted.
#17 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle
I don't like the idea of Gambit being related to any of the other X-Men or any established character, for that matter. His parents should be original characters.
#18 Posted by cattlebattle (13168 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
@cattlebattle:  I don't like the idea of Gambit being related to any of the other X-Men or any established character, for that matter. His parents should be original characters.
Yes indeed, and would it be so bad if they were normal humans that didn't do anything great?
#19 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle
Not doing anything great? Sure. Normal humans? I don't know about that.
#20 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12019 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@IrishX said:
agreed, also I hate how a majority of X-Characters are related for some weird retconned reasons.  Is there any reason for Polaris to be related to Magneto?? Why beacause they have the same powers? So I suppose Professor X Jean and Emma are all related as well, and I never liked the whole black womb story, can't a guy just be born untainted.
Yeah, is a big problem with the mutant.
That and that most of Mutants are white and live in the USA.
@jrock85: Gambit in his life has made more dangerous thing and harder thing, that obtain information fron Mr. Sinisters.
sorry but not every kid care about their "parents"
#21 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

While I do like the mystery surrounding Gambit's biological origins, I do think that it's time this story should be told, and it should be told right. Gambit hasn't really had any story arcs focusing on him in years, and I think it's about time they added something new to him as a character. An interesting origin story revealing something cool or shocking about his heritage could be the perfect opportunity to bring something new to him, even if it meant de-mystifying the last part about him that remains mysterious.

I don't have any suggestions, though. I really liked the origin story Claremont gave him in X-Men: The End, but that one shouldn't be used in the main continuity since it wouldn't surprise the readers anymore.

#22 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyraMyraMyra said:

While I do like the mystery surrounding Gambit's biological origins, I do think that it's time this story should be told, and it should be told right. Gambit hasn't really had any story arcs focusing on him in years, and I think it's about time they added something new to him as a character. An interesting origin story revealing something cool or shocking about his heritage could be the perfect opportunity to bring something new to him, even if it meant de-mystifying the last part about him that remains mysterious.

I don't have any suggestions, though. I really liked the origin story Claremont gave him in X-Men: The End, but that one shouldn't be used in the main continuity since it wouldn't surprise the readers anymore.

Mike Carey said that he had a revelation lined up in which Gambit didn't have any actual "parents", but this proposed story was shot down by editorial. I'm glad this never made it to print because New Son had parents, so it wouldn't have made sense for Gambit not to have any.

#23 Posted by stumpy49er (611 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to origin stories, I like a little bit of realism. While I had a few problems with Wolverines origins, for the most part the one thing I did like was that it was realistic (for a mutant who lives for over a century).
When it comes to Gambits origin: 
1. I want a good writer to write it. Someone who does their research and has a good understanding of the character.
2. I want a little bit of realism. Don't like the idea of Black Womb or combined DNA. I don't mind Mr. Sinister having something to do with it, but I'd rather have it that Sinister was the devil in the background who somehow played matchmaker to mom and dad. 
3. As for mom and dad:
a. They should either be both mutants or at least humans with latent x genes.
b. Cajun. At least one should be full cajun.
c. Original characters. Give them a little back story. He doesn't need to be related to any already known characters.

#24 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er said:

When it comes to origin stories, I like a little bit of realism. While I had a few problems with Wolverines origins, for the most part the one thing I did like was that it was realistic (for a mutant who lives for over a century). When it comes to Gambits origin: 1. I want a good writer to write it. Someone who does their research and has a good understanding of the character. 2. I want a little bit of realism. Don't like the idea of Black Womb or combined DNA. I don't mind Mr. Sinister having something to do with it, but I'd rather have it that Sinister was the devil in the background who somehow played matchmaker to mom and dad. 3. As for mom and dad: a. They should either be both mutants or at least humans with latent x genes. b. Cajun. At least one should be full cajun. c. Original characters. Give them a little back story. He doesn't need to be related to any already known characters.

Great ideas.

#25 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Man i have to say those are some awesome ideals.

#26 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Purgy: Thanks for bumping this.

#27 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

No need to thank me, just doing my part.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.