Should Gambit get Another New Ongoing?

• 56 results
#51 Posted by marvelgirl99 (14 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"marvelgirl99 said:
"i am here to defend a character who I like a lot and I feel tends to get the short end of the stick on this forum."
Everyone gets the short end of the stick at one time or another.  But aren't remaining impartial... You're citing sales for one issue from 1998 as a reason why a character should have a solo series in 2009. 

Hell, I love Domino, but her solo series panned... and rightfully so!  I love her as mysterious a supporting character in a team book, but as the star of a solo series?  N'ah... I'll pass.  I'd rather have a decent side-story in a team book, than a badly written and worse drawn solo.

marvelgirl99 said:
"xerox-kitty said:

"...This isn't about Gambit Hate.  It's about a practical look at his many failed solo/mini/cross-over series and the sub-standard art & writing that they've received.  So what if a movie going public suddenly saw a cute boy with a barely noticeable French twang?  The so-called demand of a few star-struck movie going teenaged girls who have never read a comic in their life should not dictate what below-par quality comics that real comic readers (in other words 'us') should receive.
"
Okay, this is the second post that I am receiving about my Gambit-hate statement. I am NOT saying that everyone on here hates Gambit or that everyone who doesn't think he should have his own series hates him. I am just saying that I find he gets very little credit on these boards. That's all, really.And he has a lot of comic book readers who love him. And contrary to the belief of detractors, they are not all dewy-eyed teen-aged girls. Many men also like Gambit. He does have a bigger fanbase than many of the people on this board seem willing to admit.And "below-par quality comics"?  Again, an OPINION."
It's not just personal opinion.  Have you actually read them?  Not as a Gambit fan, but as a critical human being?  I remember being excited to get Gambit's first Solo, and the Gambit-Wolverine: Victims mini series... and I remember being bitterly disappointed.  I have not met one person who actually argued the quality of story writing and art in any Gambit series.

Hell, I WORKED in a comic shop when the majority of Gambit's series came out.  I've already told you about comic collectors buying habits, and I stick buy it.  They buy issue 1 for potential profit.  Only it doesn't work out for them because no-one is willing to pay high prices for those terrible stories years later.
"
I really think you are both misunderstanding my argument. I was not using his first issue as a reason for his getting a solo series. My exact words were "give him some credit", meaning that he is a lot more popular than people on this board and others on the forum give him credit for. Its as if you can't say anything good about Gambit without people ganging up on you.
And are you actually arguing that your saying that his first solo series was bad is a fact? How can you even argue something like that? The quality of anything of this nature is always a matter of opinion and taste rather than fact. Case in point: I love The Catcher in the Rye, but a lot of people think its crap these days. That doesn't mean that it IS crap (or isn't), its just an opinion. And anyway, the first on-going actually made me a Gambit fan. AND I liked Victims. And to be perfectly honest, you two are the only people I have ever talked to who didn't like the series. You see? To each his/her own.
#52 Posted by marvelgirl99 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and even I admit readily that I hated Gambit's second series. Terribly-written, terribly drawn... You name it.

#53 Posted by TOAA (169 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambit's solo series was horrible. His team-up Victims story line was not bad. You cannot write off what IE and Kitty are saying as simply opinion. The movie Crank was an absolute train wreck of a movie, but there are some who refuse to believe that Statham can do any wrong. Who is right? Well, we will refer to the numbers. The numbers say it sucked. The majority of people say it sucked. Guess what, it sucked. Gambit's solo is in the same boat.
#54 Posted by inferiorego (26875 posts) - - Show Bio
marvelgirl99 said:
"xerox-kitty said:
"marvelgirl99 said:
"i am here to defend a character who I like a lot and I feel tends to get the short end of the stick on this forum."
Everyone gets the short end of the stick at one time or another.  But aren't remaining impartial... You're citing sales for one issue from 1998 as a reason why a character should have a solo series in 2009. 

Hell, I love Domino, but her solo series panned... and rightfully so!  I love her as mysterious a supporting character in a team book, but as the star of a solo series?  N'ah... I'll pass.  I'd rather have a decent side-story in a team book, than a badly written and worse drawn solo.

marvelgirl99 said:
"xerox-kitty said:

"...This isn't about Gambit Hate.  It's about a practical look at his many failed solo/mini/cross-over series and the sub-standard art & writing that they've received.  So what if a movie going public suddenly saw a cute boy with a barely noticeable French twang?  The so-called demand of a few star-struck movie going teenaged girls who have never read a comic in their life should not dictate what below-par quality comics that real comic readers (in other words 'us') should receive.
"
Okay, this is the second post that I am receiving about my Gambit-hate statement. I am NOT saying that everyone on here hates Gambit or that everyone who doesn't think he should have his own series hates him. I am just saying that I find he gets very little credit on these boards. That's all, really.And he has a lot of comic book readers who love him. And contrary to the belief of detractors, they are not all dewy-eyed teen-aged girls. Many men also like Gambit. He does have a bigger fanbase than many of the people on this board seem willing to admit.And "below-par quality comics"?  Again, an OPINION."
It's not just personal opinion.  Have you actually read them?  Not as a Gambit fan, but as a critical human being?  I remember being excited to get Gambit's first Solo, and the Gambit-Wolverine: Victims mini series... and I remember being bitterly disappointed.  I have not met one person who actually argued the quality of story writing and art in any Gambit series.

Hell, I WORKED in a comic shop when the majority of Gambit's series came out.  I've already told you about comic collectors buying habits, and I stick buy it.  They buy issue 1 for potential profit.  Only it doesn't work out for them because no-one is willing to pay high prices for those terrible stories years later.
"
I really think you are both misunderstanding my argument. I was not using his first issue as a reason for his getting a solo series. My exact words were "give him some credit", meaning that he is a lot more popular than people on this board and others on the forum give him credit for. Its as if you can't say anything good about Gambit without people ganging up on you.And are you actually arguing that your saying that his first solo series was bad is a fact? How can you even argue something like that? The quality of anything of this nature is always a matter of opinion and taste rather than fact. Case in point: I love The Catcher in the Rye, but a lot of people think its crap these days. That doesn't mean that it IS crap (or isn't), its just an opinion. And anyway, the first on-going actually made me a Gambit fan. AND I liked Victims. And to be perfectly honest, you two are the only people I have ever talked to who didn't like the series. You see? To each his/her own."
I gave him credit for being popular in the mid-90s, nothing more. The only people that think Catcher is a "crap" book are angry HS students who have to write a book report on it.
Staff
#55 Edited by buffalostyle (32 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with Gambit is that they (writers) tend to not stay true to who Remy is. As a fan of the Romy duo, even I recognize that too much of Remy's character is caught up in the Romy relationship. Writers get caught up in it and make him out to be an accessory to Rogue. There are a lot of stories that can be told about this guy if only the writer would step away from Romy for a bit...
#56 Posted by danimal350z@hotmail.com (3 posts) - - Show Bio
I myself have every single of Remy's Solo series. I am a big fan of Remy LeBeau. He is interesting as a character, he has a very interesting background and history. He is a character that I and many others can realte too. I think that has alwasy influenced his popularity. But what else there for a new solo series? What kind of trouble could he possibly get into this time around LOL. More Guild fun? Maybe some stealing, smoking, explosions and beautiful woman? MMMM I'd like that. I agree with the DP-Gambit coop. The Merc with a mouth and the Marble Mouthed Cajun? Say that 10 times fast. Unless Clairmont has a hand in it I don't think a new solo series will be all that good. I am tired of my favorite characters being mucked with by inferior writers and horrible ideas. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.