Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Report: Channing Tatum May Be Leaving 'Gambit'

• 130 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

YES! Now they can cast someone who actually looks like Gambit....

No Caption Provided

Josh Holloway
    Josh Holloway
    Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Thor-Parker

Didn't they only greenlight this because Tatum showed interest? Awkwaaaarrd...

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There is one God, an all powerful God that has been blessing us all week with random slayage.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Deathstroke, Brother Blood, HIVE, the Fearsome Five, Plasmus, Trigon, and pretty much any Teen Titans villain is also a Cyborg villain. And given that New Teen Titans OUTSOLD Uncanny X-Men even back when the X-Men were in their heyday AND that the Teen Titans animated series was so popular it was brought back in the form of Teen Titans Go, I'd say Cyborg does have at least a considerable popularity.

Also, Aquaman hasn't been a laughing stock for decades. Don't confuse your personal opinion of him for the general perception, especially since there's a bunch of excitement for his role in BVS.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: @vinomonster: ya know I can actually see Tatum as Captain Marvel (not the dillweed teenager version from the New 52), he could totally play a kid in an adult's body and he has the build for it

Oh and how about they take the money, time, and effort they're wasting on this and make an ACTUAL X-MEN MOVIE

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machomustachio: Yeah I know at first I was no way Tatum could be Captain Marvel but then I thought yes I want Tatum as Captain Marvel. Yeah I mean $150 million for Gambit??? That is insane.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By darkdetective27

@sprior93: He looks the part, but I doubt they will have him as the lead of a $150 million movie.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Hurray!!

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@blueelf said:

Gambit is one of my favorites but I can't understand the need for a solo movie, the character can't even keep a solo issue going for very long.

^^

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Might be a good thing. Never really saw him as Gambit.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Gambit latino?

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, I never was interested in this project.

brian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was a bad fit as gambit anyway.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

It's just a rumor. Who's gonna believe it?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: No people outside comic fans could name 1 villain from Teen Titans. Magneto>>>>>>>>>any Titan Villain. Hell I'll play your game. Let's list Gambits villains shall we, since technically he's part of the Xmen. Magneto, Apocalypse, Juggernaut, The Sentinels, Mystique, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Onslaught, Dark Phoenix, Master Mold, Nimrod, Stryfe, Omega Red, Silver Samurai, The Brood, Gladiator and the Shiar Guard, etc etc. The Xmen have had 5 films, not too mention Wolverine 2 solos. Teen Titans has had 2 cartoons. Xmen have one of the most popular characters of all time trumping any character on Teen Titans, Wolverine. Cyborg isn't even the most popular Teen Titan so I'm not sure why you act like anyone truly cares about him. Let me know when he care carry his own series for a significant length of time and his movie takes in hundreds of millions of dollars. Xmen has far more popularity than Teen Titans. The fact you think otherwise is laughable. How many memorable runs besides Marv Wolfmans/George Perez could you even name? I couldn't name one. Xmen have and abundance of popular and memorable runs. Now Aquaman? One good run by Geoff Johns doesn't wash away the joke that is Aquaman. When people in other parts of media stop making jokes along with non comic fans and everyone starts taking him seriously maybe you'll have a point. Till then he'll remain the joke of the comic world.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

it's bad enough this guy almost played Gambit, but can the article about how we dodged that bullet have something other than him punching out Gambit as it's picture?

SHAZAM! lol

over. my. dead. body.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noj said:

Meh. Its not good news, or bad news either. He could have been a good Gambit, but I never thought he was PERFECT for the role. He should come on over to DC and be Guy Gardner! I think he would be a better Guy than Gambit.

How I feel about it. I don't think he would have great, though maybe over time he could grow into the role more. I think he would have been good, not horrible, or great, just good.

Also I really agree about the Guy Gardner thing. I can really picture it now.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: A movie about a hero in the ocean and Atlantis, a movie about intense robotic action (new age of films), and a movie about a man and his cards. Don't compare the first two to the last

Loading Video...

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@blueelf said:

Gambit is one of my favorites but I can't understand the need for a solo movie, the character can't even keep a solo issue going for very long.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73  Edited By Zeeguy91

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

@zeeguy91: No people outside comic fans could name 1 villain from Teen Titans. Magneto>>>>>>>>>any Titan Villain. Hell I'll play your game. Let's list Gambits villains shall we, since technically he's part of the Xmen. Magneto, Apocalypse, Juggernaut, The Sentinels, Mystique, Mr. Sinister, Sabretooth, Onslaught, Dark Phoenix, Master Mold, Nimrod, Stryfe, Omega Red, Silver Samurai, The Brood, Gladiator and the Shiar Guard, etc etc. The Xmen have had 5 films, not too mention Wolverine 2 solos. Teen Titans has had 2 cartoons. Xmen have one of the most popular characters of all time trumping any character on Teen Titans, Wolverine. Cyborg isn't even the most popular Teen Titan so I'm not sure why you act like anyone truly cares about him. Let me know when he care carry his own series for a significant length of time and his movie takes in hundreds of millions of dollars. Xmen has far more popularity than Teen Titans. The fact you think otherwise is laughable. How many memorable runs besides Marv Wolfmans/George Perez could you even name? I couldn't name one. Xmen have and abundance of popular and memorable runs. Now Aquaman? One good run by Geoff Johns doesn't wash away the joke that is Aquaman. When people in other parts of media stop making jokes along with non comic fans and everyone starts taking him seriously maybe you'll have a point. Till then he'll remain the joke of the comic world.

1. Pretty much anyone who has ever seen the Teen Titans cartoon or Arrow could tell you who Deathstroke is. Thats a lot of people.

2. I never said "let's compare TT villains to X-villains." You said Cyborg had no villains, I listed a bunch of villains that Cyborg does have.

3. Okay, how many of those villains has Gambit fought personally?Cyborg has fought all of those characters I mentioned himself.

4. Uh, hello. Ever hear of Nightwing/Robin, who is universally known among almost everyone who has ever heard of Batman...which is everyone.

5. Since when does not being the most popular mean that nobody cares about you? Gambit is definitely not the most popular X-Men member. Hell, he isn't even a particularly important X-Men member. Does that mean nobody cares about him? Cuz it would by your logic.

6. I never said that I thought the TT was more popular. I'm not stupid. I am well aware that NOW X-Men is more popular, but back in the 80s it wasn't. And the Teen Titans are still a popular team, given the massive popularity of their cartoon in the aughts and now. The X-Men were essentially propelled through the 90s because they had a similarly popular cartoon.

7. When was the last time Gambit had a movie that took in hundreds of millions of dollars? Cuz I'm pretty sure it was never. Also, I guess you missed the hundreds of fans that campaigned for a solo Cyborg series, myself included, and finally got it.

8. Uh, I can name the Geoff Johns/Mike McKone run, which was named one of the best runs on any comic of the past decade. And, let's be honest, the list for X-Men runs thins once we get outside of Chris Claremont. In terms of runs that were truly notable, I can think of maybe Joss Whedon, Peter David, and Frank Miller. The modern X-Men comics, however, are a joke.

9. I have actually never heard anyone make an Aquaman joke. The only mainstream Aquaman jokes I've seen have come from Robot Chicken and Family Guy, but those shows have lampooned almost every comic character, from Batman to even the X-Men. And, besides, Aquaman could still probably kick Gambit's ass...pretty easily.

10. So, is this what you do whenever you hear things aren't going well in the world of Marvel-related media? Pick a random DC character to bash? Because, truth be told, its getting pretty old and its really just a sign of immaturity on your part.

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news as far as I'm concerned.

The dude sucks.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@machomustachio: You mean besides the one they're already making? Pretty sure X-Men Apocalypse is an X-Men movie

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Why so serious? I think you missed the part where I said I don't even care about Gambit nor do I even like him. But the notion of people acting surprised that he is getting a movie while characters like Aquaman and Cyborg are also getting films is ridiculous. They are not A-list characters and neither is Gambit. Not sure why thats so hard to understand. I don't hate DC by the way seeing that I own almost every DC film(yes even Green Lantern), their animated films and comics I also collect. So that argument holds no truth. Honestly I just like to make fun of Aquaman because people try so hard to argue against his history of being useless and lame. Stop taking things so serious these are fictional characters no need to get mad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91:

And, let's be honest, the list for X-Men runs thins once we get outside of Chris Claremont. In terms of runs that were truly notable, I can think of maybe Joss Whedon, Peter David, and Frank Miller. The modern X-Men comics, however, are a joke.

Notable modern X-Men comics:

1. New X-Men
    2. X-Statix
    3. Astonishing X-Men
    4. X-23: Innocence Lost/Target X
    5. X-Factor
    6. Messiah Complex
    7. X-Men: Legacy
    8. X-Men: Magneto Testament
    9. X-Force
    10. Old Man Logan
    11. Second Coming
    12. Uncanny X-Force
    13. Magneto

That's a very solid list, especially compared to other big name franchises. Books like the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Justice League rarely have more than a few good runs per decade.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Weird that he was just doing photoshoots with the rest of the Foxverse actors and now he's pulled out.

Oh well he sucks anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@phocracker: Being tied to the Xmen>>>>>>>>>>>>being Aquaman or Cyborg. Checkmate son.

You know being tied to the... umm watcha call-it... Justice League could, to many, be considered at least equal to being tied to the X-Men...

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think casting Channing Tatum is a foolproof recipe for success nor do I think Gambit is a necessary gamble. Especially not when you already have fricken Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender. It turns out Jennifer Lawrence isn't entirely done with the franchise, stating "There is hope. I don't want to not be asked"- and Fassy said he'd do more films too.

So why not give them solos? Or, better yet, why not do a Brotherhood movie for chrissakes? Sign Fassy, J-Law, and Evan Peters then cast Avalanche, Destiny, Toad, Mastermind, maybe Polaris with Scarlet Witch cameo (Fox legally can do that still)- basically a Brotherhood's greatest hits remix. Hell, continuity is already muffed up so throw Gambit in the mix and it'll be a party. It could be like Fox's answer to Suicide Squad!

Of course, they'll just probably throw in some other dolt to replace him and continue onward.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I can't tell if your just trolling or you just don't know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to Aquaman.....

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

omnipotence88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taylor kitsch seems better than Tatum for gambit

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good he can't act his way out of a paper bag. Also gambit can't hold a comicbook by himself let alone a movie. Hope the project dies off

omnipotence88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omnipotence88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By omnipotence88

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Pelykan

Tatum is a horrible actor so I'm glad if he doesn't do it.

But it's most likely a tactic so he can up his paycheck.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Aquaman is leagues above Gambit, he has his own set of rouges, several solo books to take inspiration from is often one of the big 7. Cyborg while lesser still is popular and well recognized thanks to Teen Titans tv show and NEW 52 has made him another one of the Big 7.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a scumbag move considering he basically championed the project. Although not the biggest X-men fan, I hope that this isn't true, because the more superhero films the better (usually). Be really happy if he's binned this to play Shazam, because I really want that film to happen and I don't care too much who plays Captain Marvel.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Being "tied" to a popular franchise doesn't necessarily mean you deserve your own movie. It's not like we're getting a Storm solo flick. Or Iceman. Or Banshee. DC is simply following in Marvel's footsteps with solo movies for key members of the Justice League before releasing a "team" movie. Aquaman has not been a joke in the comics for several years now. It's only certain media outlets which have been hanging on to this tired, old joke.

I actually like Gambit a lot but like others have said, the guy can't even maintain a comic series on his own. I just don't see the point of an entire movie devoted to this one character.

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He wouldn't have "made" the movie. He's not Chris Pratt.

To be fair, Chris Pratt was a nobody till he was Starlord.

@phocracker: When has anyone ever cared about Cyborg? Who are his villains? When has he held his own series for any significant time? When has Aquaman not been a laughing stock? How many people even know any of his villains? Give me a break if they can get movies so can Gambit. Don't act like either Aquaman or Cyborg have any sort of major popularity. At least Gambit has ties to one of the biggest and most popular teams in comics. The Xmen, you may have heard of them right? Being tied to the Xmen>>>>>>>>>>>>being Aquaman or Cyborg. Checkmate son.

Since he showed up on the Superfriends and became a Teen Titan during the Wolfman/Pereze era? You know, that majorly popular Teen Titans concept... and now that he's a founder of the Justice League? Anybody that thinks Aquaman is lame has clearly never read any of his better comics. Doesn't matter if it's bare chested Aquaman or the version in the orange shirt... he's a heck of a lot more important to DC than Gambit is to Marvel.

I'm kinda bummed about this news. While Gambit isn't a great character in the comics for very long without the X-Men, he still has potential. I think Tatum saw that potential. The only thing that I know of to make him start renegotiating would be the loss of creative control, or maybe DC or Disney/Marvel has another role for him more important than Gambit. IDK about him being Shazam, he was always my pick for Black Bolt though. DC needs to find their cinematic Hal Jordan, but IDK if Tatum is right for that either. Kyle Rayner maybe....

~KL~

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt know there was gunna be a 23 Jump Street, sweet!

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As long as the movie still happens i don't care. Tatum was far from an ideal choice for Gambit. Come on Fox cast Matt Bomer already!

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, I wasn't a big fan of him playing Gambit.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Gracetrack

@blueelf said:

Can't keep a solo series going for very long? Neither can Ghost Rider, Punisher, Blade, and a host of other characters. That doesn't mean anything. Shoot, Ant-Man has never had a solo series, from what I can recall, and yet even he was given a solo film (which turned out to be great).

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noj: Even worse, he would horrendous as Guy.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Ah well.

Avatar image for robertelsmore77
    RobertElsmore77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit should be played by Idris Elba...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.