Gambit's Gallery

#1 Posted by Shatterstar (4443 posts) - - Show Bio

What is going on with these galleries? There's something around 600 pictures. Is the goal to have every panel he's ever been in uploaded on here?

Shouldn't there be a little more discretion than posting things like (just as examples):

Or these images with tacky ads along the bottom

At least take the time to edit out the address.

I'm noticing a lot of the more popular X-character's galleries are basically becoming repositories for google image search results, I'm not sure what the point of that is. It makes the galleries hard to look at in that the quality sucks and also it takes 5 minutes to load the page.

#2 Posted by Owen_Porter (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

So what is the point of the gallery? I agree the bottom pics with the ads are unnecessary but whats wrong with the first two pics?

#3 Posted by Shatterstar (4443 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the first one is in a language probably 99% of the people on comicvine can't understand and I'm not getting the point of it. Whats the picture demonstrating, what am I (or someone who knows nothing about Gambit looking at this for the first time) supposed to take from that?

The second pic is dinky, I'm using a 19 inch monitor right now and can't make out a word of the text. I'm not sure if the text is somehow important in terms of telling something about his character, but I'd say (just my opinion, I don't know if this is a consensus) that pics with word bubbles should be limited to scans of things like pivotal events, obscure costumes you won't get on a cover.

Those were just examples, there's hundreds of word balloon scans in there that I don't understand the importance of. I'm asking what do you think the point of the gallery is, is it to get every scan you can find on there or is it something you want to look good?

#4 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, some of the galleries has 99% crappy pics. Pointless.

#5 Posted by Vic Rattlehead (33 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is what's crap in the way of imagery, writing and the like is completely subjective. What's needed even less is creating discontent within the community by bashing the contributions made by other members...or stamping them unworthy of the site. That, and given the number of Vine members carrying an issue with the subject as compared to the community as a whole...means that its either widely accepted or liked and should be left as is.

#6 Posted by Buckshot (18871 posts) - - Show Bio

So you're saying there is nothing wrong with images that point to other sites, images filled with text that is unreadable anyway (whether because of size or language), or that there are so many images in some galleries that for some it takes a long time to load the page? A little effort could make any of those pictures better. Whiting out the text in the word balloons of the first (or just getting rid of it entirely becuase it's a lot like most of the other images in the gallery), cropping the second (I think it's too small anyway, but if it had to be there, cropping would get rid of much of the unreadable text at the cost of a leg) as well as the third and fourth. The "bashing" is an attempt to raise the quality of what's on the site. If people are free to think it's good enough to be put in a gallery, aren't others also free to disagree about it and say something?
Post Edited:2007-07-28 20:08:54

#7 Posted by Shatterstar (4443 posts) - - Show Bio

The point of the thread is not to hurt someone's feelings or create discontent in the community. I have no clue who posted those pics, I'm not singling anyone out, it doesn't matter who did. This is not an illegitimate question, the mods have voiced an opinion that quality should be kept in mind in posting pics in galleries and that pics with ads emblazoned over them shouldn't be in there. By quality i'm not saying artists x,y,z are good and a,b,c are bad. Quality to me means its a good scan and its significant in some way, like pivotal event, different costume, a particular artists' depiction, something thats demonstrative of the character, etc.

Someone could say wow this (for example) is my favorite Gambit pic ever, its gotta be in the gallery. My question would be why, what does it bring thats not already in the gallery 400 other times?

A lot of people go through the trouble of actually scanning and editing images themselves and I'd guess whoever posted any of the pics in this thread so far did not do that. Some people use this http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=gambit&btnG=Search+Images or find a fansite and then re-upload everything they find. Not a whole lot of pride or care for quality goes into doing that.

#8 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

some of these photos are doubles as well. just because they are different sizes doesn't mean they're not still the same picture.

#9 Posted by Spectrum (4467 posts) - - Show Bio

some people dont know how to use the computer to do stuff like, buckshot was saying

Shatter star, you could always say that a gallery is only allowed 100 pictures in it. when it reaches that a new one could be made e.g. gambit pictures 2, or you could make gallerys where strips go and then just normal Pictures???

what you think

#10 Posted by Ass Kicking Fat Guy (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to say that the way the pictures are for Gambit are fine. The reason why the page takes so long to load is because the pics are king of large. There should really be thumbnails for a gallery over even 30. that way you can still see what's in the gallery, and choose which ones you want to see in full view.

#11 Posted by Shatterstar (4443 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectrum says:

"some people dont know how to use the computer to do stuff like, buckshot was sayingShatter star, you could always say that a gallery is only allowed 100 pictures in it. when it reaches that a new one could be made e.g. gambit pictures 2, or you could make gallerys where strips go and then just normal Pictures???what you think"

I thought of that too, makes sense to me but as far as capping galleries goes thats entirely up to the LAMP and Cascader, its their server space getting clogged with pics. LAMP has said at some point he wants to make better tools to move pics around in between galleries, until then reorganizing galleries into ideally more specific smaller galleries, especially when its something as massive as Gambit is a huge pain.
Post Edited:2007-07-28 21:20:57

#12 Posted by Spectrum (4467 posts) - - Show Bio

Shatterstar says:

"Spectrum says:
"some people dont know how to use the computer to do stuff like, buckshot was saying Shatter star, you could always say that a gallery is only allowed 100 pictures in it. when it reaches that a new one could be made e.g. gambit pictures 2, or you could make gallerys where strips go and then just normal Pictures??? what you think"
I thought of that too, makes sense to me but as far as capping galleries goes thats entirely up to the LAMP and Cascader, its their server space getting clogged with pics. LAMP has said at some point he wants to make better tools to move pics around in between galleries, until then reorganizing galleries into ideally more specific smaller galleries, especially when its something as massive as Gambit is a huge pain.
Post Edited:2007-07-28 21:20:57"

oh yeah im well aware that anything we sugest is up to the staff, but some day maybe, like you said, when we have the tools to do it we could, unfortunately for now i dont think there is anything that can be done.

#13 Posted by Vic Rattlehead (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"So you're saying there is nothing wrong with images that point to other sites, images filled with text that is unreadable anyway (whether because of size or language), or that there are so many images in some galleries that for some it takes a long time to load the page? A little effort could make any of those pictures better. Whiting out the text in the word balloons of the first (or just getting rid of it entirely becuase it's a lot like most of the other images in the gallery), cropping the second (I think it's too small anyway, but if it had to be there, cropping would get rid of much of the unreadable text at the cost of a leg) as well as the third and fourth. The "bashing" is an attempt to raise the quality of what's on the site. If people are free to think it's good enough to be put in a gallery, aren't others also free to disagree about it and say something?
Post Edited:2007-07-28 20:08:54"

Given that the gallery request from the mods calls for non cover art(but if submitted, they have requested that the pic be edited to focus on the subject of the gallery), but comic art...that leaves panel art that includes bubble text as a strong and viable source for gallery submissions. What I have seen stated, is that regardless of pic quality, more isn't always needed. Basically, every great pic/image of character X doesn't need to be submitted for inclusion in that characters gallery. Or, that no matter quality.....there can be such a thing as just TOO many pics per character.

I'll say again, that an attempt at raising quality when the subject is any form of art is an argument or stance standing upon a weak and almost bottomless foundation. Its the equivalent of going to the National Art Museum, and stating that X piece sucks, and then attempting to prove it as fact or something that should be recognized by the museum its-self...or the mass majority of patrons that enter the museum. This of course would and does not include a piece that has been largely of heavily vandalized(...or tagged) in a fashion that prevents most of the image from being enjoyed or made visible.

• Given that its an opinion based subject, there is no proof that one position is correct...while the other is not. As such, right and wrong can not be defined.

I would also assume that if it was accepted as a submission by the mods, than its seen as an acceptable submission and worthy addition to the Vine.

I'd like to add that I myself have seen a number of character gallery pieces that aren't necessarily my taste in art or images, but I keep in mind that just like in much of life : There are things that others enjoy, that I do not. So I move onto the next piece, and enjoy what's there that does suit my taste.....and allow other to do the same. I know that I don't care for those certain pieces/images, and really that's all that matters or as far as it needs to go.

Keep in mind that large/heavily tagged pics that seriously detract from the original art do not apply to the opinion shared above, as stated.

#14 Posted by Vic Rattlehead (33 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll also admit to submitting pieces that aren't to my taste, because I know that there are others that will enjoy it/them..

#15 Posted by Owen_Porter (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#16 Posted by G-Man (29491 posts) - - Show Bio

Vic Rattlehead says:

"The problem is what's crap in the way of imagery, writing and the like is completely subjective. What's needed even less is creating discontent within the community by bashing the contributions made by other members...or stamping them unworthy of the site. That, and given the number of Vine members carrying an issue with the subject as compared to the community as a whole...means that its either widely accepted or liked and should be left as is."

I won't even go into my gripes with the galleries. But some of the main things:

• No covers (unless an image is cropped).

• No full page scans. It majorly violates copyright issues. We don't want a company to decide they want all their characters pulled from our site.

• No web addresses or watermarks from other sites. The marvel.com ones should not be used. Especially the ones I put up in the previews. What I do if it's a good picture is crop that part out. I'm usually deleting the watermarked one to add the cropped one.

• Text in images should be kept at a minimum. Some of the images don't make sense since it only shows part of a conversation.

• No dupes (as in DUPLICATES). People keep adding pictures that are already there.

It's not so much as criticizing the "contributions made by other members." Think about why some of the images are really there. Looking at some of them, my interpretation is people are just being point whores. They want their couple points and don't really take into consideration how it makes the gallery appear. Some of the fan "art" I've seen...I can barely call it art. I don't see why it's needed. The images should really showcase who the character is. OR showcase the different looks or costumes they've had. It's not necessary to have 60 pictures in a gallery to show a character is "cool." I'm sure a few really good ones can show that. I really wish people wouldn't focus so much on the points but think about how the gallery would look. I really cringe at some of them. At it's not so much that it needs to get approved. Once you get live edit privileges, you can add a crap picture.

If it were up to me, I'd wipe out probably 60% of what's there. The only reason I don't is because they'd most likely get put back up.

Staff
#17 Posted by Spectrum (4467 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Vic Rattlehead says:
"The problem is what's crap in the way of imagery, writing and the like is completely subjective. What's needed even less is creating discontent within the community by bashing the contributions made by other members...or stamping them unworthy of the site. That, and given the number of Vine members carrying an issue with the subject as compared to the community as a whole...means that its either widely accepted or liked and should be left as is."
I won't even go into my gripes with the galleries. But some of the main things: - No covers (unless an image is cropped). - No full page scans. It majorly violates copyright issues. We don't want a company to decide they want all their characters pulled from our site. - No web addresses or watermarks from other sites. The marvel.com ones should not be used. Especially the ones I put up in the previews. What I do if it's a good picture is crop that part out. I'm usually deleting the watermarked one to add the cropped one. - Text in images should be kept at a minimum. Some of the images don't make sense since it only shows part of a conversation. - No dupes (as in DUPLICATES). People keep adding pictures that are already there. It's not so much as criticizing the "contributions made by other members." Think about why some of the images are really there. Looking at some of them, my interpretation is people are just being point whores. They want their couple points and don't really take into consideration how it makes the gallery appear. Some of the fan "art" I've seen...I can barely call it art. I don't see why it's needed. The images should really showcase who the character is. OR showcase the different looks or costumes they've had. It's not necessary to have 60 pictures in a gallery to show a character is "cool." I'm sure a few really good ones can show that. I really wish people wouldn't focus so much on the points but think about how the gallery would look. I really cringe at some of them. At it's not so much that it needs to get approved. Once you get live edit privileges, you can add a crap picture. If it were up to me, I'd wipe out probably 60% of what's there. The only reason I don't is because they'd most likely get put back up. "

shouldnt peopple be allowed to put up pictures they deem fit to put up, that they feel add tot he gallery, im not arguing what you were saying about the easy pionts thing, and i dont know what cropping a picture is so A could someone explain and B im sure some people dont either and would if they could but simply dont know how

#18 Posted by Owen_Porter (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

Well depending on which ones you wiped out I wouldn't put them back up.

And I also have no idea how to crop a pic. Also I agree with the fan art, I've never used fan art and some in Gambit's aren't even him.
Post Edited:2007-07-28 23:20:10

#19 Posted by G-Man (29491 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectrum says:

"G-Man says:
"Vic Rattlehead says:
I won't even go into my gripes with the galleries. But some of the main things: - No covers (unless an image is cropped). - No full page scans. It majorly violates copyright issues. We don't want a company to decide they want all their characters pulled from our site. - No web addresses or watermarks from other sites. The marvel.com ones should not be used. Especially the ones I put up in the previews. What I do if it's a good picture is crop that part out. I'm usually deleting the watermarked one to add the cropped one. - Text in images should be kept at a minimum. Some of the images don't make sense since it only shows part of a conversation. - No dupes (as in DUPLICATES). People keep adding pictures that are already there. It's not so much as criticizing the "contributions made by other members." Think about why some of the images are really there. Looking at some of them, my interpretation is people are just being point whores. They want their couple points and don't really take into consideration how it makes the gallery appear. Some of the fan "art" I've seen...I can barely call it art. I don't see why it's needed. The images should really showcase who the character is. OR showcase the different looks or costumes they've had. It's not necessary to have 60 pictures in a gallery to show a character is "cool." I'm sure a few really good ones can show that. I really wish people wouldn't focus so much on the points but think about how the gallery would look. I really cringe at some of them. At it's not so much that it needs to get approved. Once you get live edit privileges, you can add a crap picture. If it were up to me, I'd wipe out probably 60% of what's there. The only reason I don't is because they'd most likely get put back up. "

shouldnt peopple be allowed to put up pictures they deem fit to put up, that they feel add tot he gallery, im not arguing what you were saying about the easy pionts thing, and i dont know what cropping a picture is so A could someone explain and B im sure some people dont either and would if they could but simply dont know how"

They are allowed, which is why they're still there. I'm not saying everyone is doing it for the points but I do question some of them. I'm not going to say your favorite picture isn't allowed. I just hope that people really do have a reason and aren't just doing searches and since a lot of the "good" ones are already up, just settling for what they can find.

Cropping means just cutting off unnecessary portions. You can do a search and download a program called gimp if you don't have photoshop.

Staff
#20 Posted by Vic Rattlehead (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Well I'll take responsibility for the crappy pics in Gambit's gallery. I was being a point whore. "

Hehe, even if I had an issue w/it I couldn't be cross w/this kind of direct honesty. I'm a big supporter of owning up to what's yours, cuz passing the buck is a far too common trait.

#21 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why people adds hundreds of crappy pics to their favourite character? Wouldn't you want to have just the best to show why [insert character] is the best..?

#22 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't mean you specifically, there's several characters that have hundreds of pictures.

#23 Posted by GambitO (980 posts) - - Show Bio

a good quantity of images is necessary

so that the gallery is converged and of utility

to many users

#24 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

What does that mean? Is it a poem?

#25 Posted by Owen_Porter (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"What does that mean? Is it a poem?"

LMFAO

#26 Posted by Owen_Porter (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on. Its outta control now. Someone took and added an entire arcs worth of Gambit pics, word balloons and all, the same pics are in at least two of the other galleries. For every one pic ya remove, two new galleries spring up.

edited. Two arcs worth of pics.
Post Edited:2007-10-31 04:48:34

#27 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it possble to set, for example Gambits page so that all picture submissions have to go through moderation?

#28 Posted by Owen_Porter (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know. But there's absolutely no reason to add another single pic of Gambit. I wish they would lock the gallery or something.

#29 Posted by Canderous (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah that sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.