#1 Edited by XImpossibruX (5154 posts) - - Show Bio

Goes toe to toe with Wolverine.

Even got the better of him.

Beat Quicksilver

Can even knock back Gladiator

AvX Cap punches him and he's down..

WHAT THE F*CK MARVEL?

#2 Posted by jashro44 (19231 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about your fist scan but the second is from the ultimate universe if I'm not mistaken (the wolverine battle), Gambit vs quicksilver needs context but quicksilver should win. Gladiator I'm guessing was low on confidence? As for AVX it was really just bad writing.

#3 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Behold the power of his hobo coat.

And, Cap face..I lol'ed

#4 Posted by XImpossibruX (5154 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: I'll put in something more 616

#5 Posted by Slicer (108 posts) - - Show Bio

He totes just pulled a Midnighter on QS there. Only...not so lethal.

#6 Posted by Shawnbaby (10387 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong Forum

#7 Posted by Dernman (14615 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a battle.

#8 Edited by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

First scan is non-canon. That is part of a fan voted thing with Contest of Champions 2.

2nd scan is Ultimate Wolverine and Gambit so non canon to 616. Since you just replaced the Ultimate scan, refer to the already made sentence below.

Gambit has only gotten the better of a weakened Wolverine and had to use a hologram in the Danger Room to do so. It just shows Gambit can be crafty and play dirty. Other than that, Logan has usually gotten the better of Remy on a few occasions and in a few panels too.

3rd. I don't know the context so I can't say anything about it.

4th scan. Gladiator is a known jobber and they play his confidence as a plot device sometimes. He got right back up after that with no damage to him so nothing really meaningful about it.

5th. Despite the AvX versus fight being mal-informed on Gambit's powers and abilities, what is the problem with it? Gambit has normal durability and Cap can one shot him if he pleases.

#9 Posted by nickzambuto (12688 posts) - - Show Bio

None of those other guys have 'Murica on their side, or super soldier juice.

#10 Edited by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Maybe this helps.

@god_spawn said:

First scan is non-canon. That is part of a fan voted thing with Contest of Champions 2.

2nd scan is Ultimate Wolverine and Gambit so non canon to 616. Since you just replaced the Ultimate scan, refer to the already made sentence below.

Gambit has only gotten the better of a weakened Wolverine and had to use a hologram in the Danger Room to do so. It just shows Gambit can be crafty and play dirty. Other than that, Logan has usually gotten the better of Remy on a few occasions and in a few panels too.

4th scan. Gladiator is a known jobber and they play his confidence as a plot device sometimes. He got right back up after that with no damage to him so nothing really meaningful about it.

5th. Despite the AvX versus fight being mal-informed on Gambit's powers and abilities, what is the problem with it? Gambit has normal durability and Cap can one shot him if he pleases.

#11 Posted by XImpossibruX (5154 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: So anything at Caps level can one shot Gambit? And why is Gambit's reaction time so piss poor. Why??!

#12 Edited by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit doesnt have super-human durability.

Cap can shatter bones with easy.

Not much to think, really.

@XImpossibruX said:

@god_spawn: So anything at Caps level can one shot Gambit? And why is Gambit's reaction time so piss poor. Why??!

Yes, anything on Cap's level can one-shot Gambit.

Heck, Taskmaster crushed a guy's skull in one punch, he could do the same to prety much anyone with human durability (Gambit included)

I do not know the context of the scan, but Cap is more skilled than Gambit and just as fast, he is definetly able to hit him in a hand-to-hand fight.

@god_spawn:

The Quicksilver scan was Contest of Champions II as well.

#13 Posted by Dernman (14615 posts) - - Show Bio
@XImpossibruX said:

It's not piss poor when he's catching Caps shield in mid air and throwing it right back at him.. 
#14 Edited by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

@XImpossibruX: Considering Cap can throw hundreds of pounds of concrete at second story buildings, bench and rep out at 1200 pounds, throw his shield through through trucks and fast and accurately enough to catch up to freshly launched missiles and break steel chains, push steel doors off hinges, bending the door inward as a result and doing so while bleeding out from a bullet wound in one arm, yes. Gambit has normal human level durability.

As for his reaction time, Gambit has some of the best reaction feats as far as street levelers go. Problem being Cap isn't far down from his level of speed and is far stronger and far more skilled. Street levelers can block bullets and dodge them, but a character that is almost on their speed level and skill can tag them. Skill and some speed can also compensate for any larger stat differences. It's how some characters have beaten speedsters like Wolverine beating Speed Demon.

-

The only thing wrong with the fight was Gambit can

A) Charge organic matter

B) His staff isn't made of fiber glass.

Gambit is only a very capable staff fighter, but his h2h feats aren't that great and he is just adept in Savate. Cap caught his kick with the shield and put him down with a punch. You could also factor in Gambit was in mid air on that kick and not necessarily in position for a defensive maneuver.

#15 Posted by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matezoide2: Thanks for the intel, bro.

#16 Posted by XImpossibruX (5154 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Alright thanks for the info. I overestimated Gambit.

#17 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Behold the power of his hobo coat.

And, Cap face..I lol'ed

Lol

#18 Posted by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

@XImpossibruX: No problem. Gambit is by no means bad and is quite powerful, but the matter of the context in the scans was out of place so I see where you got confused.

#19 Posted by TwoGunGunnar (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is awesome.

2-fisted justice from the 1940's beats trench-coat 1990's douchebaggery every time.

#20 Posted by quatro_briefs (384 posts) - - Show Bio

@TwoGunGunnar said:

Captain America is awesome.

2-fisted justice from the 1940's beats trench-coat 1990's douchebaggery every time.

Don't get cocky. Likely next time, Gambit would have learned from his mistakes.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32223 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Where is the Ultimate scans?

#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a battle. Moving.

Staff
#23 Posted by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: The OP edited.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32223 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: The OP edited.

Oh right, I was getting confused

#25 Posted by Hus (79 posts) - - Show Bio

the VS. series in the AvX titles were horrible in my opinion. Even tho Gambit is my fav character i recognize that Cap is a superior hand to hand fighter. However, when did Cap become invulnerable? I understand that the super soldier serum gave him peak human abilities (strength, agility, durability, speed) but he is still human. Had Gambit charged the shirt of Thor--the shirt exploded--and Thor got back up, that would make sense. However, Cap didn't even have blood on his chest. So yes @XImpossibruX: You still have every right to be confused. Due to poor writing at Marvel, Gambit is not as powerful as he was in the 90s...(or his feats aren't as amazing as they used to be).

1. Hand to Hand fighting only = Cap as victor.

2. Full on power = Gambit should've won. Not saying it would be easy, (i'm not diminishing Steve's skills) but I mean com'on. If Cap can withstand Gambit's explosive...WHY DOES HE NEED A SHIELD?

#26 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

#27 Posted by Pyrogram (34440 posts) - - Show Bio

@quatro_briefs: Hopefully.

#28 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought Gambit's charm power through people off their game. Wolverine, with his years of experience, should outclass Gambit easily. It's Gambit's charm that led him to victory. Marvel must've forgot about this nugget after Gambit years on the bench. Actually, one could argue that Fantomex is the new Gambit.

#29 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84378 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

I always thought Gambit's charm power through people off their game.

90% sure that ability only works on women.

#30 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@VampireSelektor said:

No, Gambit was able to charm Shadow King (a male) - Uncanny X-Men #266

#31 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84378 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

@Gambler said:

@VampireSelektor said:

That was Gambit's first appearance. He was also able to charge objects just by looking at them back then. His powers have been redefined since then. But if you know of another example of his charm working on a male I'd appreciate the update. Its hard to keep track of what he can and cant do lol

#32 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@VampireSelektor said:

@Gambler said:

@VampireSelektor said:

That was Gambit's first appearance. He was also able to charge objects just by looking at them back then. His powers have been redefined since then. But if you know of another example of his charm working on a male I'd appreciate the update. Its hard to keep track of what he can and cant do lol

You're right. It's difficult to keep track of a mutant's Marvel hero's powers. Still, the fact that he did affect Shadow King maintains the possibility. Does Gambit still have New Son potential?

#33 Posted by Dernman (14615 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn said: 

The only thing wrong with the fight was Gambit can

A) Charge organic matter

I'm not to up on the Gambit organic thing but in his recent issue he said his powers don't work on living things. He couldn't charge the bacteria left behind from someones fingerprints. 
So it's most likely has been changed if there has been times in different books saying recently.
#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: I don't think it was necessarily changed, I think they just haven't made it official yet since it's happened only a handful of times in recent years.

Which is why I made this just after the AVX vs issue came out.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/god_spawn/avx-misconception-can-gambit-charge-organic-matter/87-80752/

I think it is just something some writers have overlooked as it is an easily blown over concept. I take it as a natural advancement in Gambit's powers. In McNiven's and Asmus' case, they probably missed it and Asmus has at least used his inorganic charge and reason not to charge organic matter in unique ways.

#35 Posted by aquarius1480 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course captains going to win..leave it to writers and fanboys and he will beat galactus h2h in a battle solo lol. But serious gambit is nothing to underestimate either. He dodge 30,000 bullets and please don't tell me he has near- superhuman agility that's bull. Its super human period! I doubt a peak human agility can do that. He dances through that with ease. He has sparred with wolverine,fought assassins,etc. He is an above average fighter. He charges his staff that can level a home I mean this he no walk in the park. His accuracy is in par with bullseye. I can keep going on his attributes. When he first appear he was awesome but the writers now are just watering him down and its a shame. Captain America of course eventually will beat him but Gambit is just as capable and deadly. Nick fury himself said he is one of the best h2h fighters

#36 Posted by Hus (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@aquarius1480: agreed! I wonder why writers have been watering him down. I would've liked to see his powers expand. From reaching New Sun's power level, to having Death powers from Apocalypse, I would like to see him have some of those powers left over from that. Or are we just going to see charged playing cards and toothpicks? (And Cap's shirt) sigh

#37 Edited by Sic21 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@matezoide2: lol gambit has higher than human durability . It is just poor writing gambit would giv cap problems.. Personally I think that whole death thing , they knew they made a beast had to dumb him down. I was 8 when gambit was introduced and on the 90s gambit was actually one of the most popular xmen characters if not the most besides wolverine. Hate how there treating him and look it up he has gotten the best of wolverine more than once more like 4. He is stilly fav character and coolest and at full potential incredibly cheating LOL. In fact Laura donner the producer for xmen movies even said she was scared to put him in movie with wolverine because fans would be mad if he didn't get his due and she took backlashing due to that horrible wolverine movie ..

#38 Edited by Ascended (510 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the sources I've looked up (not seen all of them completely, but just skimmed through), they all say Remy has superhuman strength and durability.

#39 Posted by hanseperez1 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

This is dope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Oi7wpC7E8

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.