Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Gambit good again

winningwithpie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By winningwithpie

After X-Men #203 any one else think Gambit is good again.

Canemacar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canemacar

Yes, but after seeing preview images for #204, I think he needs to die immediately to prevent another angst outbreak.
    Post Edited:2007-10-05 00:15:19

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

winningwithpie says:

"After X-Men #203 any one else think Gambit is good again."

I believe there all good. (Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Gambit, Sunfire, that robot chick.) There's a reason why there working for Sinister, we just don't know what yet.

Canemacar says:

"Yes, but after seeing preview images for #204, I think he needs to die immediately to prevent another angst outbreak.
    Post Edited:2007-10-05 00:15:19"

Yeah that makes sense. Bring him back for one issue after being gone for a year just to kill him.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Korg

King of Kings says:

"winningwithpie says:
    "After X-Men #203 any one else think Gambit is good again."

I believe there all good. (Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Gambit, Sunfire, that robot chick.) There's a reason why there working for Sinister, we just don't know what yet.

Mystique definitely has her own agenda. Sunfire, and to a lesser extent Gambit, are both being manipulated by Sinister. I think in Shiro's case Apocalypse's influence was greater, which made him susceptible to Sinister's will. Lady Mastermind goes where the action is, and with the Marauders she's much more free to act on her sadistic tendencies. Omega Sentinel is possesed by Malice (which shouldn't be possible, as Malice was destroyed and was the only Marauder that could not be cloned, IIRC.)
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 14:12:22

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"I wish they would just do something with Gambit already and stop flip-flopping."

Agreed. But I did like seeing him kick Cable's ass.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By The_Martian

King of Kings says:

"Colt Python says:
    "I wish they would just do something with Gambit already and stop flip-flopping."
    Agreed. But I did like seeing him kick Cable's ass."
    I missed that issue
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Nobody says:

"King of Kings says:
    "Colt Python says:
    Agreed. But I did like seeing him kick Cable's ass."
    I missed that issue"

X-Men #200. He had help

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Martian

Cool stuff.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"That is such bad writing Cable should have been able to beat Gambit no problem."

Gambit and Sunfire? Why? Have you read the issue? Its really well done. Its not bad writing. No way in hell could current Cable take down Sunfire and Gambit.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Martian

Colt Python says:

"That is such bad writing Cable should have been able to beat Gambit no problem."
    Why is it always come down to bad writting with people?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"Nobody says:
    "Colt Python says:
    Why is it always come down to bad writting with people? "

Because based on what you know about a character if he loses to someone you know can't beat him it's bad writing and poor continuity.If yuo see Gambit beat the Phoenix and then he gets the crap beat out of him by Toad then that's horrible writing."

When did Gambit get beat by Toad? And what are you talking about? Cable isn't the Phoenix, nowhere near.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Martian

Colt Python says:

"Nobody says:
    "Colt Python says:
    Why is it always come down to bad writting with people? "
    Because based on what you know about a character if he loses to someone you know can't beat him it's bad writing and poor continuity.If yuo see Gambit beat the Phoenix and then he gets the crap beat out of him by Toad then that's horrible writing."
    Its also possible they beat them due to good writing. Not everything comes down to what powers people have. You have to look at the situtation too.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"King of Kings says:
    "Colt Python says:
    Gambit and Sunfire? Why? Have you read the issue? Its really well done. Its not bad writing. No way in hell could current Cable take down Sunfire and Gambit."

Unless Cable lost powers which he hasn't he should have no problem with either."

He has lost power. See, you dont even know the characters you argue for, about, or with. You have to actually pick up a comic once in awhile. Your always saying its bad writing cause you have no real evidence or ability to debate. Gambit is, or was an X-Men. He has fought along side Cable. Last time Cable saw Gambit, he had been turned into the Horsemen Death by Apocalypse and then vanished along with Sunfire, another one time hero and X-Men. So of course the first time he see's him, apparently restored to normal, he isnt just going to unleash on him. He wants answers, there's going to be hesitation. Where as Gambit knows exactly why he's there and what he's going to do. Cable was caught of guard and by surprise by Gambit alone, then you factor in Sunfire, and he's $#@! It was a great read, just because your ignorant to the facts doesn't mean its bad writing.
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 14:39:04

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Korg

I believe Cable did lose his TK powers after merging and being torn apart from the Mummudrai in X-Men #199. Add to this the fact the Gambit's mind is notoriously hard to fuck with, and him and Sunfire have both recently been mucked around with by Apocalypse and possibly Sinister, and you get a perfectly logical outcome from a pretty decent writer. Besides, Sunfire and Gambit only came CLOSE to defeating Cable. He actually "died" as a result of him intiating the self-destruct on Providence. Now stop bickering.
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 14:51:39

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"King of Kings says:
    "Colt Python says:
    "King of Kings says:
    "Colt Python says:
    Gambit and Sunfire? Why? Have you read the issue? Its really well done. Its not bad writing. No way in hell could current Cable take down Sunfire and Gambit."
    Unless Cable lost powers which he hasn't he should have no problem with either."
    He has lost power. See, you dont even know the characters you argue for, about, or with. You have to actually pick up a comic once in awhile. Your always saying its bad writing cause you have no real evidence or ability to debate. Gambit is, or was an X-Men. He has fought along side Cable. Last time Cable saw Gambit, he had been turned into the Horsemen Death by Apocalypse and then vanished along with Sunfire, another one time hero and X-Men. So of course the first time he see's him, apparently restored to normal, he isnt just going to unleash on him. He wasn't answers, there's going to be hesitation. Where as Gambit knows exactly why he's there and what he's going to do. Cable was caught of guard and by surprise by Gambit alone, then you factor in Sunfire, and he's $#@! It was a great read, just because your ignorant to the facts doesn't mean its bad writing."

I do read comics and I don't remeber Cable losing any powers.As far as I know he's still a telepath, he still has a techno-organic virus, he is still skilled in hand-to-hand combat.Last thing I read with Cable in it was Cable and Deadpool.When Cable was reborn as baby Cable he gained and manifested his powers almost immidiately and used his psychic powers.So don't tell me I don't read comics and i'm ignorant because I know what i'm talking about!"

Why are you using Cable from Cable and Deadpool when talking about the Cable from X-Men? That's clearly not canon for this discussion seeing as how he cant be in two places at once. As Korg just pointed out, Cable lost his TK power in X-Men#199. But not completely. Here's an exchange between Emma and Cable in #200 talking about Sabretooth with Cable

Emma: I already tried to read him, and failed. Do you even have your PSI powers any more?

Cable: Yes and no.
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 14:59:22

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"Korg says:
    "I believe Cable did lose his TK powers after merging and being torn apart from the Mummudrai in X-Men #199. Add to this the fact the Gambit's mind is notoriously hard to fuck with, and him and Sunfire have both recently been mucked around with by Apocalypse and possibly Sinister, and you get a perfectly logical outcome from a pretty decent writer. Besides, Sunfire and Gambit only came CLOSE to defeating Cable. He actually "died" as a result of him intiating the self-destruct on Providence. Now stop bickering.
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 14:51:39"

I'm not bickering i'm proving a point he's the one getting pissed."

What? How am I getting pissed? I find it funny how you know nothing about the arguments you get into. You say you know Cable, yet knew nothing of his recent power decrease. I dont get mad at you, I laugh at you. Maybe you missed this.

King of Kings says:

"Colt Python says:
    "King of Kings says:
    "Colt Python says:
    "King of Kings says:
    "Colt Python says:
    He has lost power. See, you dont even know the characters you argue for, about, or with. You have to actually pick up a comic once in awhile. Your always saying its bad writing cause you have no real evidence or ability to debate. Gambit is, or was an X-Men. He has fought along side Cable. Last time Cable saw Gambit, he had been turned into the Horsemen Death by Apocalypse and then vanished along with Sunfire, another one time hero and X-Men. So of course the first time he see's him, apparently restored to normal, he isnt just going to unleash on him. He wasn't answers, there's going to be hesitation. Where as Gambit knows exactly why he's there and what he's going to do. Cable was caught of guard and by surprise by Gambit alone, then you factor in Sunfire, and he's $#@! It was a great read, just because your ignorant to the facts doesn't mean its bad writing."

I do read comics and I don't remeber Cable losing any powers.As far as I know he's still a telepath, he still has a techno-organic virus, he is still skilled in hand-to-hand combat.Last thing I read with Cable in it was Cable and Deadpool.When Cable was reborn as baby Cable he gained and manifested his powers almost immidiately and used his psychic powers.So don't tell me I don't read comics and i'm ignorant because I know what i'm talking about!"

Why are you using Cable from Cable and Deadpool when talking about the Cable from X-Men? That's clearly not canon for this discussion seeing as how he cant be in two places at once. As Korg just pointed out, Cable lost his TK power in X-Men#199. But not completely. Here's an exchange between Emma and Cable in #200 talking about Sabretooth with Cable

Emma: I already tried to read him, and failed. Do you even have your PSI powers any more?

Cable: Yes and no.
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 14:59:22"

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Korg

Colt Python says:

"after agreeing to serve as a host for the Mummudrai, Ev Teel Urizen, Cable's telepathic and telekinetic abilities were restored stronger than before, as evidenced when he used his telekinesis to levitate the entire island of Providence in mid-air in Cable & Deadpool #40. However, with the death of Urizen in X-Men #199, Cable's telepathy is once again inactive. His telekinesis remains, though at what level has yet to be revealed."

What evidence is there that his TK was intact? He didn't use it against Sunfire and Gambit when they attacked. Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely ciurious as to where you read this.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"after agreeing to serve as a host for the Mummudrai, Ev Teel Urizen, Cable's telepathic and telekinetic abilities were restored stronger than before, as evidenced when he used his telekinesis to levitate the entire island of Providence in mid-air in Cable & Deadpool #40. However, with the death of Urizen in X-Men #199, Cable's telepathy is once again inactive. His telekinesis remains, though at what level has yet to be revealed.I knew that but that still doesn't mean he's not skilled enough to beat Gambit and Sunfire.
    Post Edited:2007-11-08 15:10:25"

Yes, and he used it during his fight with Gambit and Sunfire. Gambit played him brilliantly. Thats why I say you should at least READ X-Men #200 before passing judgment. You saw two out of order scans and automatically call it bad writing.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Korg

Gotta disagree there, proof's in the pudding. Cable considered them enough of a threat to destroy Providence rather than fight them. To me, this says that Cable didn't consider himself equal to the task of defeating them AND saving the information they were there to collect/destroy. I doubt his telepathy was strong enough to dominate the two of them at once anyway. Hence the outcome of the fight. I really don't think is runs afoul of canon, or that it is poor writing. Cable sacrificed himself (c'mon, it's what he does. When I first heard the words "Messiah CompleX" my mind jumped to him immediately.) to keep Sinister from gaining whatever information he was after. I'm sure Nate will pull through and make a grand re-entrance before the arc is over.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"Korg says:
    "Gotta disagree there, proof's in the pudding. Cable considered them enough of a threat to destroy Providence rather than fight them. To me, this says that Cable didn't consider himself equal to the task of defeating them AND saving the information they were there to collect/destroy. I doubt his telepathy was strong enough to dominate the two of them at once anyway. Hence the outcome of the fight. I really don't think is runs afoul of canon, or that it is poor writing. Cable sacrificed himself (c'mon, it's what he does. When I first heard the words "Messiah CompleX" my mind jumped to him immediately.) to keep Sinister from gaining whatever information he was after. I'm sure Nate will pull through and make a grand re-entrance before the arc is over."

Why do you keep bringing up the damn telepathy.Cable is a skilled fighter and tactician.He almost never used his telepathy anyway.He would rather shoot people.Cable also gained healing factor from Deadpool's DNA."

Not in the X-Men continuity he hasn't. Hey I get all your info comes from Cable&Deadpool. But it doesn't translate to the X-Men Universe. He has no healing factor in X-Men.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Korg

Being a skilled tactician is not enough to take out 2 mutants of their caliber. Whether you like him or not, Gambit's powers are impressive. Add Sunfire to the equation and a gun and tactics aren't gonna help you much. The healing factor will probably be used as an excuse to bring him back, but I fully expected that anyway. After reviewing X-Men #200, he DOES use his TK, but it doesn't help much. My previous points stand. Cable clearly thought destroying Providence was a better option than fighting them and risking the information there falling into the wrong hands. Whether he could "beat" them in a fight under different circumstances is irrelevant and immaterial. He "lost" because he iniated the self-destruct, not because Gambit and Sunfire incapacitated him.

Canderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Canderous
    Korg said:
    "

Being a skilled tactician is not enough to take out 2 mutants of their caliber. Whether you like him or not, Gambit's powers are impressive. Add Sunfire to the equation and a gun and tactics aren't gonna help you much. The healing factor will probably be used as an excuse to bring him back, but I fully expected that anyway. After reviewing X-Men #200, he DOES use his TK, but it doesn't help much. My previous points stand. Cable clearly thought destroying Providence was a better option than fighting them and risking the information there falling into the wrong hands. Whether he could "beat" them in a fight under different circumstances is irrelevant and immaterial. He "lost" because he iniated the self-destruct, not because Gambit and Sunfire incapacitated him.

"
    I agree with you totally.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.