Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Death Gambit

exhyni9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By exhyni9

Can Anyone Tell Me What Comic Book Issues Gambit's Death Persona Appears In 
    Thanx

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I can't remember exactly.  I know that it first happened around X-Men #180-ish.  That was an Apocalypse & four more new horseman storyline... and more lately in the X-Men Legacy 2009 Annual and in the Second Coming spin-off limited series, Hellbound

Hopefully someone else will be able to fill in the gaps for you.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By jrock85

Supposedly, the Death thing is supposed to be resolved this year.

leigh_rogue888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By leigh_rogue888

God I hope so, cause they are dragging it out lately. I don't want him to turn evil, but I do want to see how it gets worked out, wonder if it will be in the X-23 comic. Laura is helping him but I want Rogue to be there to help him work through it.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jrock85
    @leigh_rogue888: 
    Marjorie Liu said in a recent interview that she would also delve into Gambit's Death persona in the pages of X-23, but it will be a gradual thing.
    leigh_rogue888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By leigh_rogue888

Crap I don't get the X-23 series in my small town. Now I really have to order it, can't wait for the graphic novel to come out. Its really amazing what you can survive on, but I am grateful to have comicvine.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @leigh_rogue888 said:
    " Crap I don't get the X-23 series in my small town. Now I really have to order it, can't wait for the graphic novel to come out. Its really amazing what you can survive on, but I am grateful to have comicvine. "
    lmao same I have to order everything through heavyink since comic stores don't exist near me XD but Im really looking to them dealing with gambit as death since it kind got put on the back burner for a while
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jrock85
    @EnSabahNurX:
    Personally, I think the Death thing should have never happened and I was really pissed when Carey brought it back.
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @jrock85 said:
    " @EnSabahNurX: Personally, I think the Death thing should have never happened and I was really pissed when Carey brought it back. "
    yea I don't like that so many x-men have become a horsemen but it does need to be nipped in the bud so it doesn't just pop up constantly and then before you know it gambit is a villain for some random arc. The only thing i like is it can be an interesting story to add to the x-23 series while laura and gambit are bonding and hopefully they find a way to purge it
    Besides Gambit was way too overjacked as Death, I only like Archangel because warren was boring before his death persona, gambit didn't need the added issue
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty

I hope that this isn't left for Liu to resolve in X-23.  She's turned me right-off the character, the series and any poor character who happens to appear in it.

I really LIKE what Mike Carey has been doing with Gambit.  Plus it has given Rogue time away from Gambit, instead of him pursuing her relentlessly he's been trying to get a grip over his deadly subconscious.  But I'd like to see a bit more evolution of this side of him.  I'd like Carey to show us why this side of Gambit didn't appear during Age of X.  I'd like to see some actual development, instead of just hiding him away for so long.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jrock85
    @xerox-kitty:
    I think Liu's portrayal of Gambit shows that she likes and understands him a lot more than Carey does, and she said that she would gradually address the Death thing and not resolve it. The fact that he brought the Death persona back only reinforces my judgement that Carey has little to no interest in developing Gambit because he used it the same way Milligan did--which was to write him out of the book. I want this Death crap gone ASAP and I don't EVER want to see it again. I am somewhat pleased with his involvement in AOX so far, but as for his involvement in Legacy post-AOX --I haven't heard a much that I'm excited about. With all that being said, I think Mike Carey is a great writer and he was willing to use Gambit at a time when no other writer wanted to touch him. I'm just not impressed with his usage of the character.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

That's the problem.  The problem is that fans are too impatient and demand an instant U-Turn on all things they don't like.  People want a writer who will 'resolve' the matter because they don't like the current direction with him.  It was retconned out of existence, which didn't make sense.  Mike Carey addressed that, with teases that he will do more with the charater.  At the time he used Legacy to focus more on Rogue & the New X-Men than on Gambit, but there's always the promise of more to come. 

Marjorie Liu has only convinced me that she doesn't care what other writers have done to characters.  I have no faith in her to handle something as intriguing as Mike Carey's plans for the 'Death' Gambit.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jrock85
    @xerox-kitty:
    The Death persona actually wasn't retconned out of existence. When Gambit returned to his normal appearance, he said "I dropped that whole new look with the help of a friend," presumably Mister Sinister. I think that was a perfect way of doing away with it, considering that Sinister is probably the greatest geneticist in the Marvel U and is very knowledgeable about the Celestial technology that Apocalypse used to transform Gambit. Its really hard for me to accept the idea that Carey has something spectacular planned for him when he's been saying  things like "he won't be part of the core cast" and "its not his book" etc. for the last year and a half, so I don't put much credence into any of those "promises." As I said in my last post, bringing Death back was just a way to sideline Gambit so he could put the focus on Rogue and eventually Magneto.
    natejoseph09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By natejoseph09

I think the death persona/Carey turned a lot of people off of Gambit in the last few years.

He was constantly shown moping and all emo for too long.

Liu and Gischler have done a tremendous amount of good work helping to make Gambit an interesting/viable character again, and from the sounds of it they will have him for a while longer.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jrock85
    @natejoseph09:
    At this point, I don't know if I want Carey writing Gambit anymore.
    natejoseph09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By natejoseph09
    @jrock85 said:

"

@natejoseph09:

At this point, I don't know if I want Carey writing Gambit anymore.

"

That's how i currently feel as he's only done bad things for him more recently.

Even in Age of X Gambit's just an accessory to Rogue.

Also from what i've seen/read it seems Rogue might fall into the arms of Magneto.

At least theirs a few other writers who want to write Gambit faithfully.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.