AvX Misconception: Can Gambit charge organic matter?

Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

This may be just me but over the past few days due to McNiven's Captain America vs Gambit fight, I've noticed some people have been denying Gambit's ability to charge organic matter and for some people who have been out of the loop don't know he can. So this blog is to set the record straight and to bring those that have been away from Gambit or the X-Men for awhile up to speed.

AvX Versus 2

The fight that started it all.

Now here we have Gambit charging Cap's uniform. Steve says with Gambit not being able to charge organic matter to which Remy replies with "fish don't make them scales." Now 1) this issue implies that Gambit CAN'T charge organic matter. 2) That statement is false. There are at least 4 other instances of Gambit charging organic material so let's present them.

Gambit issue 5:

Gambit says he cannot charge organic matter. I expect this to be a similar situation to what happened with McNiven.

X-Men Legacy 214

So we rewind a few years and we get this.

So Gambit charges Shaw. Now I've argued before that it is Shaw's power to absorb kinetic energy which Remy is just a giant battery of. But due to further events and further interpretation to Gambit's own statements and in the situation they are in why would he lie to Shaw? Gambit said he can put his charge into anything or anyone. He also showed genuine concern for Shaw if he could convert it into energy. If Gambit couldn't charge organic material then there would be no energy building on or inside Shaw for him to absorb it.

The next scan I believe it to be in X-23's series issue 5 or 6?

Gambit self charge.

Here we have Gambit charging his own fist. This scan is possibly the most questionable since it could be argued he charged his glove instead. But this is why we have further evidence.

Daken: Dark Wolverine # 8

Gambit charges Daken's fist.

Now Daken's fist was caught. Gambit clearly charges it and his whole arm just goes boom.

X-Men vs Vampires 2

Now I've seen this instance mentioned, but he is just charging her choker..

X-Men Vol 3 # 10

So Gambit is turned into a lizard like creature along with Wolverine and Storm due to Dark Beast and an invention of his. Gambit grabs the lizard and well you'll see what happens.

Lizard Gambit grabs a smaller lizard with his tail. He charges the lizard and throws it using it as a bomb against Emma Frost. Nothing inorganic on that lizard and Gambit was even in a feral state. Charged a living thing perfectly fine once again.

So that's it. We have a questionable instance with McNiven whom probably didn't simply do his research in the first place and one mention by Asmus in Gambit issue 5 vs 4 other instances that Gambit showed charging something organic and the latter 3 happened within the past couple of years so they are fairly recent. I simply blame the fact that it isn't something that has been officially stated and can be very easily overlooked.

#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (44477 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn:

Staff
#2 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I thank you for the thumbs up, Mr. K4tz.

#3 Edited by k4tzm4n (44477 posts) - - Show Bio

Before I rant, I'll point out that I understand it's common and actually okay for inconsistencies to happen in comics. Most of these characters have been around for thousands of issues, so to slip up every now and then on something small is fine.

Now that I got that out of the way, this is a pretty big slip up for Gambit. I understand there was once a point when people thought he couldn't charge organic material, but all of his examples of doing so are very recent in comparison to the character's long history. You'd imagine that a book that is half dedicated to Remy and providing "fun facts" on him would want to be 100% sure with all of the facts. Even if this is an honest mistake of the writer, couldn't an editor catch this and say "look, we should really change the conversation there, or at least Remy's response." The huge amount of people reading AvX VS and aren't experts on Remy now assume he can't charge organic material.

Someone could dispute that Gambit never flat-out denied being unable to charge organic materials, but then his "a fish don't make these scales" remark would be completely pointless. He's essentially agreeing that "Yeah, I can't charge organics... but your armor isn't organic, either."

Am I making a big deal out of this and I'm likely swayed because I'm a big fan of Gambit's? Absolutely. But at the same rate, it would nice to see a bigger effort on research if we're going to put these characters in the spotlight and have an entire set of dialogue around their powers.

Staff
#4 Posted by Reality (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Am I making a big deal out of this and I'm likely swayed because I'm a big fan of Gambit's? Absolutely. But at the same rate, it would nice to see a bigger effort on research if we're going to put these characters in the spotlight and have an entire set of dialogue around their powers.

It doesn't even have to be writers researching characters to see what they can go so as to not over push their limits, but writers should just make limits on these characters all of a sudden.

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

MARVEL -_-

#6 Posted by Reality (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't blame Marvel they're not at faul--- Actually, no, blame Marvel.

#7 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this is clearly a screw up by the author, but if can be explained in-character for Gambit.

Say Cap hasn't gotten up to speed on Gambit's power, or that the files he surely studied before fighting the X-Men weren't up to date.

Maybe Gambit is trying to win, of course, but he doesn't want to kill one of the world's most beloved superheroes. In fact, if he had wanted to kill him, he could have done so, just add a little more charge on the costume and Cap gets a brand new hole in the chest. Maybe he was trying to k.o him and miscalculated Cap's durability.

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Reality said:

They aren't at fault because they aren't writing it, but they are at fault because they keep employing people who don't even read their books enough to know what their talking about.
#9 Posted by Hus (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I appreciate your effort and scans. This clears up a lot. Hopefully writers read comic vine lol

#10 Posted by Reality (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Reality said:

They aren't at fault because they aren't writing it, but they are at fault because they keep employing people who don't even read their books enough to know what their talking about.

That depends whether you consider Editors "part of Marvel". I wouldn't know, but I assumed they were.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Reality said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Reality said:

That depends whether you consider Editors "part of Marvel". I wouldn't know, but I assumed they were.

Good point.
#12 Posted by k4tzm4n (44477 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lion_Heart22:

Say Cap hasn't gotten up to speed on Gambit's power, or that the files he surely studied before fighting the X-Men weren't up to date.
Someone could dispute that Gambit never flat-out denied being unable to charge organic materials, but then his "a fish don't make these scales" remark would be completely pointless. He's essentially agreeing that "Yeah, I can't charge organics... but your armor isn't organic, either."
Staff
#13 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Well, I haven't kept up with Gambit lately, last I heard he could charge organics, and OP scans seem to prove that, but like it's anyone's guess. IMHO I think it was a mistake by the author.

#14 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

A big part of Gambit's history is that he is a mystery and often has lied. It's not like Cap and Avengers would have a file on every fight and feat ever made by every person in comics. So If Gambit had pretended not to be able to charge organic matter in the past then it is very possible that all but a select few would know the truth.

#15 Posted by The Stegman (24483 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I'd rather him not be able to charge organic matter..would make things tougher for him.

#16 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enosisik: That's beside the point. It implied Gambit could not. Now readers who jump on and don't know Gambit will think what Cap said was true cause Remy implied he couldn't. NcNiven could have said different things to contradict what Cap said without deterring any information. Gambit could have easily said "A thief don't tell no secrets." or "As far as you know Cap.". He didn't have to say it out loud but he could have easily said something else that would have implied he can without saying he could.

#17 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he probably should have had a thought bubble to clear it up but you must remember to read from the character perspective not your own.

#18 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enosisik: I'm not worried about Gambit's perspective. The problem still lies with how they presented it. Because of it there is a high possibility of people now thinking Gambit can't charge organic matter. As I said to you before there are things they could have done as to not misrepresent a character. They could have easily put it on a fact box that Gambit can charge organic matter but Cap doesn't need to know that. It's as simple as that if McNiven really did his research.

#19 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't care about their perspective then you're not reading right. So what..? Maybe he didn't put it there for a reason ... Like maybe a key part in the story later on where Gambit will show that ability to Cap's surprise . Cap then says I thought you coundnt do that and then Gambit says yeah you ' thought'!

#20 Posted by Zhakaraz (81 posts) - - Show Bio

it would appear by Gambit's response that he is indeed confirming he currently cannot charge organic things.

And wow I would never imagine that Cap could take down Gambit like he was a joke. He wasn't even paying attention half the time and he can take Gambits explosions head on without even being scathed.

#21 Posted by SC (13124 posts) - - Show Bio

Great blog. For me, I was expecting this. Its like the writers were told to dumb down the writing and characterization so people who might know 1 or 2 things about the characters can jump in and feel smart. This is why in the first AVX we have Magneto asserting a lack of advanced technological knowledge and intuition even though that's actually something the character has been known for in the past. We even have explicit references by characters like Reed Richards in awe of how advanced Magneto has been in invention/technology. Except another writing technique to emphasis one characters attributes to potentially create more tension, is to undermine another characters attributes in the same fashion. So they fostered a heavy weight battle between natural powers versus man made technological powers. Extremely inconsistent and extremely simplistic. With Gambit example, its pretty much the same. Forget the character's actual status quo and go with what more casual fans might understand or know, cause we would hate for them to start asking questions midway during a comic like when did that character started doing that.  

Not worried about how this will actually affect his powers though, since good writers will tend to recognize when their peers slip up. Hopefully they set things right in his upcoming book.      

#22 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reality said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Reality said:

I've argued at things that fell through before, like the "X-23's healing factor isn't as strong as Wolverine's.." over in Avengers Academy and I'll say it again. Yes the author made a mistake (I don't ask that they be perfect and never make a mistake ever), however you'd think the editor would be the guy to catch these types of things.

#23 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

This slip up bothered me too, but like SC said the fight with Mags and Iron Man ignored aspects of Mags character to dumb down the fight (his powers clearly aren't limited to manipulating magnet sensitive metals) so I'm just calling the whole thing crap as far as establishing power levels and such.

By the way, I was also bothered that Cap was just fine and dandy after taking a direct explosion from Remy.

#24 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hus said:

I appreciate your effort and scans. This clears up a lot. Hopefully writers read comic vine lol

That i don't think they do, i think the post here on CV, CBR, and Marvel own forms can give the writers more than they can chew? But man i didn't like how they keep putting Gambit like this.

#25 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

This entire event is a travesty.

#26 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

This entire event is a travesty.

Agreed^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.