k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Gambit's time with Tombstone been a huge improvement over the previous story arcs in this book. Despite being a total fanboy for Remy ever since the '90s animated series, I wasn't really digging this series all that much. But this latest story? It's exactly what I'd want from a Gambit book. Man, if this is the kind of quality I can continue to expect from writer James Asmus, then I pray he's granted all the time he wants with the Ragin' Cajin!

While a fair amount of the action goes pretty much as expected, that doesn't detract from the adrenaline rush one bit. Gambit desperately holding onto a car's rooft as Tombstone fires a pistol through it is something we've seen countless times before yet it still manages to be totally thrilling here. What I especially love is the amount of character Amsus breathes into the two leads. The snark between Remy and the Spider-Man villain is hugely amusing and it's nice to see Tombstone as a legitimate threat (though, it does suck to see he's probably dead now).

Asmus does manage to wrap up the X-Man's involvement with the villain and Joelle quite well. The twist is expected if you've been paying attention (and you are, right?), but it was still fairly heartfelt. However, what really sells the scene and other critical moments are the numerous people lending their talents to the art. It's a full house when it comes to the visuals and while transitions are easily noticeable, they're mostly reserved for entirely different scenes. Only once was the pace interrupted by a switch-up and was truly jarring.

The Bad

I suppose you can chalk it up to arrogance or attitude, but the brief scuffle between Rogue and Joelle felt forced (even if it did look great) . Regardless, it was nice to see that matter was quickly resolved. While most of the art ranges from good to great, there's one instance where's there's a considerable lack of detail and it takes away from what could have been quite a cool scene (the helicopter blades striking Tombstone). Honestly, part of me wishes Gambit used his powers more during his battle with Tombstone. His agility and powers have the potential to make that really enthralling, but the battle plays out in a totally different manner.

Aside from those minor issues, nothing else really hindered the experience for me.

The Verdict

This issue's big on fun, serves up plenty of solid banter and character interactions, and is loaded with just the right amount of heart. Throw in terrific yet diverse visuals and I can confidently say this story arc is without question the best one from the series thus far. Does my love for Gambit boost my enjoyment of this book? Absolutely and I won't deny that for even a second. I imagine if you're not a big fan of the character, this chapter will likely fall more into the 3.5-4 star range for you. I haven't been all that enthusiastic about this book for awhile now, but thanks to the last few issues, my opinion has done a complete 180. Nice to have you back, Remy!

JMLG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tombstone!!!

tho i hate that vampire costume, get him his original suit

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jmlg said:

Tombstone!!!

tho i hate that vampire costume, get him his original suit

He's not wearing that in the issue.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The series has been doing a great job with introducing new characters into the Gambit universe. And then........they go and jam Rogue in, again. Same banter, some interactions, same stagnant Rogue/Gambit pairing that happens everytime these two show up in a comic together. Mann's art is great and the first arc (with the exception of Rogue) was really enjoyable. I liked this version of Tombstone better then most and Fence is just cool. Moving forward I'd like to see some re-imagined Assassin and Thieves Guild characters but most of all I think Gambit fans deserve an arc in which Gambit's past is completely exposed. And by that I mean they should reveal Mister Sinister is his father.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By dreamfall31

A 5-star review for Gambit?!?!!? I should tell my brother to jump back on board!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I was really irritated that they killed off Joelle. One of the most badass characters to be introduced in comics in a while and I feel like there was great potential for stories for her in the future. They could have played up the perpetual life scheme and maybe made her (semi) suicidal. Seeing what hijinks she could get away with without losing her life or something, I don't know.

It's not often that we get badass, independent females introduced into comics and it's even less often that we get them kept around. I would have liked to have seen that happen.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I really want to like this book but it's just not doing it for me.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hanson724

Is this a good issue to jump in on?I've been eyeing this for awhile and been wanting to check it out.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Tombstone is a badass!!

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CTG

Is this a good issue to jump in on?I've been eyeing this for awhile and been wanting to check it out.

I'd say jump on around issue #9, which where this particular arc starts - however keep in mind is interactions with some of the key players start in issue #1.

@mercy_ said:

I was really irritated that they killed off Joelle. One of the most badass characters to be introduced in comics in a while and I feel like there was great potential for stories for her in the future. They could have played up the perpetual life scheme and maybe made her (semi) suicidal. Seeing what hijinks she could get away with without losing her life or something, I don't know.

It's not often that we get badass, independent females introduced into comics and it's even less often that we get them kept around. I would have liked to have seen that happen.

I think she'll be back. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, because she was an awesome new character, but w/ her being immortal they have an easy out to say the substance couldn't keep her down.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ctg: Sounds good thanks

Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9....

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This was a really good issue for a series that has just been shy of being good. Looks like it is starting to hit its stride. It was nice to see Gambit go up against a non traditional X-Men villian in Tomestone. Also after of years of seeing Gambit following Rogue around like a love sick puppy its nice to see her follow him for once.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.