Starkiller vs Starkiller (not an actual battle)

#1 Edited by departed402 (549 posts) - - Show Bio

So I know that Starkiller/Galen Marek in the actual canon isn’t portrayed to be as strong as he is in The Force Unleashed videogame. However, I’m not exactly sure just how reduced the book version of Starkiller is because I haven’t read the novel. I would get it but with college and trying to get my career off the ground I don't have the time. I was hoping someone could explain how powerful Starkiller is in the actual canon vs TFU videogame.

Also, I was wondering if any of this would change if it turns out that the Starkiller Clone from TFU2 actually turns out to be the original Starkiller.  I mean since there isn't a novel to go along with the second game there isn't an usurping level of canon this time around.

#2 Posted by Project_Worm (3376 posts) - - Show Bio
@departed402: 
This is a good question..but hasn't it been said that hes so powerful because hes in almost perfect harmony with the force.
#3 Posted by JediXMan (30179 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, there is a novelization of the Force Unleashed II - I haven't read it yet, simply because I did not like the second game and there are other novels I'd rather read. I can't comment on that, but I really hope the feats are explained.

Starkiller was utterly owned in terms of lightsaber combat every time. He only won with his Force abilities, and he never faced anybody particularly powerful in the game. Vader put up a very good fight - and Vader was the most powerful one he faced, and Vader ain't that great either. Starkiller vs Palpatine was this:

Starkiller hurls debris at Palpatine
Palpatine goes down
Palpatine does old man act
Cue cutscene.

Less than a paragraph in the book. That's it. Now you tell me Palpatine really was defeated that easily.

And the book clearly states that Starkiller guided the Star Destroyer in its descent, and that he did not actually pull it down (... the game says that too, but everyone forgets that...). It was falling no matter what he did; he just made it so it hit the cannon.

#4 Edited by departed402 (549 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

"Actually, there is a novelization of the Force Unleashed II - I haven't read it yet, simply because I did not like the second game and there are other novels I'd rather read. I can't comment on that, but I really hope the feats are explained. Starkiller was utterly owned in terms of lightsaber combat every time. He only won with his Force abilities, and he never faced anybody particularly powerful in the game. Vader put up a very good fight - and Vader was the most powerful one he faced, and Vader ain't that great either. Starkiller vs Palpatine was this:Starkiller hurls debris at PalpatinePalpatine goes downPalpatine does old man actCue cutscene.Less than a paragraph in the book. That's it. Now you tell me Palpatine really was defeated that easily. And the book clearly states that Starkiller guided the Star Destroyer in its descent, and that he did not actually pull it down (... the game says that too, but everyone forgets that...). It was falling no matter what he did; he just made it so it hit the cannon. "

I've only played the games. I hadn't seen or heard there was a novelization of Force Unleashed II.

I haven't read the novelization of the first one either, so I didn't know his saber skills were that bad. It stands to reason I guess. No matter which combat form he employed, the backhanded grip would probably be good for quick slashes against most enemies, but not so great when strength is needed against other saber wielders.

That's too bad they cut the Palpatine vs Starkiller battle short in the novel.

I had heard about the difference with the Star Destroyer though. It's still an awesome feat though. Obviously not quite as awesome as Nihilus' feats with his ship, but given time Starkiller could have improved.

Just comparing videogame Starkiller to his (maybe) videogame Clone, the clone was able to vaporized enemies with Force repulse. Now whether or not that feat makes it into the novelization is yet to be seen. Also the clone didn't move a Star Destroyer, but he did wreck some TIEs and moves some large debris out of the way on the Salvations' decent to Kamino. Also I haven't read the novelization, so I’m left to wonder how impressive the canon fight with the Gorog actually was.    

#5 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio
@departed402: As far as I'm aware, the games are just as canon as the novel and the comic, it's just the canon parts of the games are restricted to the cutscenes and the general progression of the story. The problem is the 2 main versions of the game, the comic, and the novel all differ on various points, meaning unless there has been some specific statement released saying the novel trumps all the others, there isn't actually an absolute, authoritative version of the story. So people who are greatly concerned with what is and is not canon get frustrated when you've got 4 different versions of everything happening that are all equally valid. It kind of defeats the purpose of canon to have such a situation, really, but I'm not aware of any attempts made to resolve it. Frankly I really doubt Lucas is even aware of the issue, let alone cares.

That said, statements like, "Starkiller is the most powerful force user evar!!" are completely unfounded by any version of the story. Even if he had forcefully dragged the Stardestroyer out of orbit, that still wouldn't put him above EU Luke or Sidious, as obvious picks. And like JediXMan pointed out, that scene in the games tends to be exaggerated (though he did make it nosedive when it was a few hundred meters above the ground, which is still pretty impressive; of course, some people try to act like he could do that at a moments notice, instead of taking his time and clearly requiring tremendous effort and concentration).
#6 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Starkiller wins! Nyehehe!

#7 Posted by departed402 (549 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11:
Some of the super hardcore fans seem to not like Starkiller, or at the very least don't like that a lot of people and fair-weather-fans think "Starkiller is da best and most powerfulest ev-uh!"

Sure Starkiller isn't as great as EU Sidious or Grand Master Luke, but Starkiller is a telekinetic beast compared to most Force-users in the SWU. Also Starkiller was just a tool to kiil, he never was taught higher levels of the Force, and his true potential will probably never be realized, just like Vader.

#8 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I have read the novelization like an idiot in fact I thought TFU II was so horrible I took the book to the library and traded it for the audiobook and got high listening to it and it still messed up my trip.

I do have to say that it is accurate to the game. There are some stuff that are missing in the game but nothing special at all except just whining and sitting in a chair pissed at Darth Vader. Starkiller does all the insane force stuff he does in the game including the surfing on the crashing landing command ship like he's Launch Pad McQuack.

#9 Posted by departed402 (549 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon:
Well I'm sorry yourself through that. Lol. Anyway besides surfing on the command ship does the book say he perfomed any other awesome feats, like vaporizing/desintigrating people with Force repulse? Any awesome feat that would set him apart?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.