Follow

Galactus

Character » Galactus appears in 1750 issues.

Galactus is the infamous "Devourer of Worlds" in the Marvel Universe. His powers are nearly omnipotent. He has appointed several entities as his Heralds, imbuing them with the Power Cosmic. He uses energy from the core of planets and universal sources to sustain himself.

Would you consider Galactus as a villlian?

• 120 results
    angryvigilante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By angryvigilante

He eats planets, kills billions of lives and civilizations. But for some reason I don't think he is actually a evil villian. Any thoughts?

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

He's a force of nature, like a tornado or a plaugue , can't really prevent him ,he doesn't discriminate and he just does this to survive, he doesn't really do anything with malicous intent either plus it's been stated that he is essential to the universe

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I would say he is not evil. He is mostly emotionless though. There have been instances where he acted out of vengeance, such as when he consumed Zenn-La when the Silver Surfer rebelled against him. But he did give the residents a chance to leave.

Everything else I can say was already said by the Emperor.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Id say he's a Chaotic Neutral

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "He's a force of nature, like a tornado or a plaugue , can't really prevent him ,he doesn't discriminate and he just does this to survive, he doesn't really do anything with malicous intent either plus it's been stated that he is essential to the universe "
    That's sounds about right
    loveNwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By loveNwar

Since the dawn of Man, hunting and killing  became the way to survive. We don't regard ourselves as bad, only natural predators. So is Galactus. If he was malicious, LT would interfere. Search for power is not considered bad by LT, either, just a natural thing.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`

He certainly isn't. At first he was, but when Marvel decided to flush out his background and make him something more then just the devourer of worlds, he instantly became a universal force. People could look at him and say what he does is evil, but all he is doing is surviving. And its been stated that Galactus will give back ten fold of what he has taken from the universe. So what I would assume when this universe comes to an end, he is instrumental in creating the next one.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Zoom

Yes.  His appearance is an affront to humanity.

box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By box turtle

Yes, he refuses to do the right thing--die--which would prevent anymore murders.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I would consider him as someone with an eating disorder... He has to eat more than he should.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By geraldthesloth

He's just a hungry dude.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
    Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    "

Yes, he refuses to do the right thing--die--which would prevent anymore murders.

"
    By that standard we should all kill ourselves to prevent anymore murders towards animals. Vegetarian? Do you have any idea how many bacteria you kill everytime you wash? ;-)
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By box turtle

@Do I have to give a name? said:

"@box turtle said:
    "

"
    By that standard we should all kill ourselves to prevent anymore murders towards animals. Vegetarian? Do you have any idea how many bacteria you kill everytime you wash? ;-)"

All right, if I kill you and munch on your remains, then tell the judge "But your honor, you've devoured hundreds of bacteria," I'll bet you anything I'm still gonna be in jail a long, long, long, long time. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    "

"@box turtle said:
    "

"
    By that standard we should all kill ourselves to prevent anymore murders towards animals. Vegetarian? Do you have any idea how many bacteria you kill everytime you wash? ;-)"

All right, if I kill you and munch on your remains, then tell the judge "But your honor, you've devoured hundreds of bacteria," I'll bet you anything I'm still gonna be in jail a long, long, long, long time.  "
    The point being that from Galactus' point of view humans etc would be the equivilant of bacteria and that devouring a planet would be no differant to you or I eating a steak.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:
    "

"@box turtle said:
    "

"

All right, if I kill you and munch on your remains, then tell the judge "But your honor, you've devoured hundreds of bacteria," I'll bet you anything I'm still gonna be in jail a long, long, long, long time.  "
    The point being that from Galactus' point of view humans etc would be the equivilant of bacteria and that devouring a planet would be no differant to you or I eating a steak."

The fact is Galactus is wrong, because science shows that people have far more intelligence and coherence than cows, and it does not seem that mentally Galactus is much different from a person, though he is quite a lot different from a cow. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:

The fact is Galactus is wrong, because science shows that people have far more intelligence and coherence than cows, and it does not seem that mentally Galactus is much different from a person, though he is quite a lot different from a cow.  "
    That's a logical fallacy. Life has existed on earth for about 3.5 billion years. Human and bovine ancestors diverged roughly 80 million years ago. So what you are saying is that 80 million years of evolution sets us apart sufficiently that there is no moral dilemma in eating a cow, but that a being that has existed for well over 14 billion years is close enough to us that there would be.

Also, you're right, cows aren't very intelligent (but hey we've domesticated them to the point that it hurts them if they're not milked) But there are several other species of animals, including insects that have incredible spatial awareness, group co-operation, memory, tool use and engineering capabilities that show humans really aren't that special.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:

The fact is Galactus is wrong, because science shows that people have far more intelligence and coherence than cows, and it does not seem that mentally Galactus is much different from a person, though he is quite a lot different from a cow.  "
    That's a logical fallacy. Life has existed on earth for about 3.5 billion years. Human and bovine ancestors diverged roughly 80 million years ago. So what you are saying is that 80 million years of evolution sets us apart sufficiently that there is no moral dilemma in eating a cow, but that a being that has existed for well over 14 billion years is close enough to us that there would be.Also, you're right, cows aren't very intelligent (but hey we've domesticated them to the point that it hurts them if they're not milked) But there are several other species of animals, including insects that have incredible spatial awareness, group co-operation, memory, tool use and engineering capabilities that show humans really aren't that special."

The animals that have an exceptional level of intelligence: primates, dolphins, parrots, orcas, etc.  are not eaten in most of the world. 
    The insects do not appear to have any thoughts, its all just instinct.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @box turtle said:
    "

"
    If Galactus dies, then the universe is in imbalance and everyone in the universe may die as well. It isn't a matter of superior beings or intelligence or what lifeforms deserve to be alive. Galactus must survive.

He currently has the Surfer as a herald who usually tries to find lifeless planets to sustain him. In the past he has had other heralds that did the same (Firelord, Air-Walker, Nova)
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By box turtle
    @jloneblackheart said:
    "@box turtle said:
    "

"
    If Galactus dies, then the universe is in imbalance and everyone in the universe may die as well. It isn't a matter of superior beings or intelligence or what lifeforms deserve to be alive. Galactus must survive.He currently has the Surfer as a herald who usually tries to find lifeless planets to sustain him. In the past he has had other heralds that did the same (Firelord, Air-Walker, Nova)"

I thought Stardust was the current Herald, because Surfer had left Galactus in Planet Hulk. 
    Anyway, the cosmic balance is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.  How is having a mass-murderer die going to create chaos.  I mean, thats all Galactus doe--he just eats.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @box turtle: i'm not to current with things but i though annihilation was after planet hulk? i've been reading godhunter and he is still herald.

as far as the cosmic balance: i didn't write it, i just read it. from what i can tell, galactus is important to the universe and what he does must be done.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By box turtle
    @jloneblackheart said:
    "@box turtle: i'm not to current with things but i though annihilation was after planet hulk? i've been reading godhunter and he is still herald.as far as the cosmic balance: i didn't write it, i just read it. from what i can tell, galactus is important to the universe and what he does must be done."

Whoever wrote that is insulting Marvel-fans intelligences.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    "
    The animals that have an exceptional level of intelligence: primates, dolphins, parrots, orcas, etc.  are not eaten in most of the world.  The insects do not appear to have any thoughts, its all just instinct. "

They are however eaten and hunted for money by many. Also insects (which are eaten in many parts of the world) do run on instincts. However, self awareness and conscious thoughts are merely an evolutionary extension of instincts. They are also for the most part incredibly well developed (Ants, for example, are the only known species other than humans that keep "herds" of livestock for milk)

Went off on a bit of a sidetrack there, but the point that you didn't address is that a being like Galactus would be so far beyond a human that for him to destroy the person (or his race) would be perspectively indistinguishable from a human eating some chicken.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:
    "
    The animals that have an exceptional level of intelligence: primates, dolphins, parrots, orcas, etc.  are not eaten in most of the world.  The insects do not appear to have any thoughts, its all just instinct. "

They are however eaten and hunted for money by many. Also insects (which are eaten in many parts of the world) do run on instincts. However, self awareness and conscious thoughts are merely an evolutionary extension of instincts. They are also for the most part incredibly well developed (Ants, for example, are the only known species other than humans that keep "herds" of livestock for milk)Went off on a bit of a sidetrack there, but the point that you didn't address is that a being like Galactus would be so far beyond a human that for him to destroy the person (or his race) would be perspectively indistinguishable from a human eating some chicken."

But people have been able to speak to Galactus, and show that they have feelings.  And Galactus is only superior physically.
    loveNwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By loveNwar

We don't master the great truth behind the Universe, we just live in it. When we were born, predators were already eating prey, they will still do it when we are gone. Can we see the big picture behind all this? No! So, let's just live according to the law of the Universe we were born in. Let prey be prey and predator be predator. Hell, perhaps all living things (past and future) shall be united in a big vital energy fusion when the Universe crumbles, hell i don't know... i'm sure there's more to this than we can see, and crying over death is stupid anyway. Because if it was so wrong, why would it exist ?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By AtPhantom
    @box turtle said:
    "I thought Stardust was the current Herald, because Surfer had left Galactus in Planet Hulk.  Anyway, the cosmic balance is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.  How is having a mass-murderer die going to create chaos.  I mean, thats all Galactus doe--he just eats. "
    Why is it absurd? Galactus constantly expends energy to keep Abraxas, the embodiment of destruction at bay. If Galactus dies, then Abraxas is unleashed and the whole universe is be destroyed. Whole universe > few little planets. See the logic?
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By box turtle
    @AtPhantom said:
    "@box turtle said:
    "I thought Stardust was the current Herald, because Surfer had left Galactus in Planet Hulk.  Anyway, the cosmic balance is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.  How is having a mass-murderer die going to create chaos.  I mean, thats all Galactus doe--he just eats. "
    Why is it absurd? Galactus constantly expends energy to keep Abraxas, the embodiment of destruction at bay. If Galactus dies, then Abraxas is unleashed and the whole universe is be destroyed. Whole universe > few little planets. See the logic?"

According to Abraxas's bio on comicvine, Abraxas is dead, dead, dead as a doornail.
    lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lordraiden
    @geraldthesloth said:
    "He's just a hungry dude."

Big G going thru the drive-thru: "Um, yes, can I have one milky way galaxy upgraded, and a side of two  uncivilized worlds please, and can you make that to go please, i'm in a hurry to and need to dispose of the waste matter from my last feed, thankyou  :-)"
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By CellphoneGirl

AHAHHA!!!!

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @box turtle said:
    " @AtPhantom said:
    "@box turtle said:
    Why is it absurd? Galactus constantly expends energy to keep Abraxas, the embodiment of destruction at bay. If Galactus dies, then Abraxas is unleashed and the whole universe is be destroyed. Whole universe > few little planets. See the logic?"
    According to Abraxas's bio on comicvine, Abraxas is dead, dead, dead as a doornail. "
    Abraxas isnt dead. everything got rewrote when reed used the UN and he's still at bay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    " But people have been able to speak to Galactus, and show that they have feelings.  And Galactus is only superior physically. "
    Many species of animal show signs of fear, mourning, excitement, anticipation, joy etc. Or is the difference that Galactus can speak English? do you truly think that if a rabbit could talk it would say that it enjoys being trapped, killed, skinned and eaten? Or that it wants to be strapped down and have shampoo dripped into it's eye?

The Comicvine page on galactus states that: The true form of Galactus is not known. He is perceived as the species of whoever is looking at him. To a human, he appears human. To an alien, he would appear the same as them. Galactus's true form is a golden glowing humanoid body of energy with energy surrounding him, he wears his armored suit to sustain his immense power, he is omnipotent and powerful enough with his armor but without his armor he is beyond omnipotent.

Personally that doesn't sound very close to any human I've ever met. Another thing is that you said Galactus is only superior physically, but you have also said that humans are superior to animals due to our mental prowess. This however is a result of a physically more developed brain. And to suggest that a being that can control the power cosmic, contains the sentience of the universe and predated the big bang is not mentally superior to a human is ludicrous (Reed Richards doesn't count as if he didn't win Marvel wouldn't have very much left to write about)

box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By box turtle
    @geraldthesloth said:
    "@box turtle said:
    " @AtPhantom said:
    "@box turtle said:
    According to Abraxas's bio on comicvine, Abraxas is dead, dead, dead as a doornail. "
    Abraxas isnt dead. everything got rewrote when reed used the UN and he's still at bay"

Someone should change the sitedescription of Franklin Richards and Abraxas, 'cause they say he is dead.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:
    " But people have been able to speak to Galactus, and show that they have feelings.  And Galactus is only superior physically. "
    Many species of animal show signs of fear, mourning, excitement, anticipation, joy etc. Or is the difference that Galactus can speak English? do you truly think that if a rabbit could talk it would say that it enjoys being trapped, killed, skinned and eaten? Or that it wants to be strapped down and have shampoo dripped into it's eye?

The Comicvine page on galactus states that: The true form of Galactus is not known. He is perceived as the species of whoever is looking at him. To a human, he appears human. To an alien, he would appear the same as them. Galactus's true form is a golden glowing humanoid body of energy with energy surrounding him, he wears his armored suit to sustain his immense power, he is omnipotent and powerful enough with his armor but without his armor he is beyond omnipotent.

Personally that doesn't sound very close to any human I've ever met. Another thing is that you said Galactus is only superior physically, but you have also said that humans are superior to animals due to our mental prowess. This however is a result of a physically more developed brain. And to suggest that a being that can control the power cosmic, contains the sentience of the universe and predated the big bang is not mentally superior to a human is ludicrous (Reed Richards doesn't count as if he didn't win Marvel wouldn't have very much left to write about)

"

A rabbit is too stupid to talk, or communicate, or really have in  depth feelings (fear is an instinct).  People and Galactus communicate perfectly, so Galactus knows exactly what he is doing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually rabbits have a fairly sophisticated system of communication. Which includes : Thumping, to signal danger to other rabbits, or to express fear or annoyance. Teeth grinding: Softly for pleasure, hard for pain. Jumping: expresses joy. Flattening to the ground: with tense muscles to express fear, or with relaxed muscles it's a sign of comfort. Lunging: to indicate aggresion.They also consistently squeal, grunt, growl, snort, hiss or scream when placed in to different situations in experiments. Admittedly I've never known a rabbit to sit up and emphatically say, in English " I don't want to be food" But you'd have to be pretty damn stubborn to only accept that as evidence.

There are also several types of animals with much better communication abilities that are eaten in some (though not all) parts of the world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:

People and Galactus communicate perfectly, so Galactus knows exactly what he is doing. "
    All creatures, be they Mammal, Reptile, Bird or Fish, Have an in built survival instinct. This is a well known fact. So to suggest that an animal really doesn't mind being killed is ridiculous.
    You seem to imply that because humans are much higher on the food chain it doesn't matter, whilst simultaneously ignoring the fact that were a being like Galactus to exist, he would be many many multiples higher to us than we are to an insect.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:

People and Galactus communicate perfectly, so Galactus knows exactly what he is doing. "
    All creatures, be they Mammal, Reptile, Bird or Fish, Have an in built survival instinct. This is a well known fact. So to suggest that an animal really doesn't mind being killed is ridiculous.You seem to imply that because humans are much higher on the food chain it doesn't matter, whilst simultaneously ignoring the fact that were a being like Galactus to exist, he would be many many multiples higher to us than we are to an insect."

I didn't say they don't mind, they just don't have the emotional abilities for it to be wrong.
    Once you reach that level, it doesn't matter how far you are above it, your life is worth living.  I mean, a chimp is bellow me on the evolutionary ladder, but I don't eat it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    " @Do I have to give a name? said: I didn't say they don't mind, they just don't have the emotional abilities for it to be wrong.Once you reach that level, it doesn't matter how far you are above it, your life is worth living.  I mean, a chimp is bellow me on the evolutionary ladder, but I don't eat it. "
    So even though an elephant doesn't  want to die it's okay to kill it because they can't articulate the thought that "They shouldn't be doing this just for my tusks"?

Edit: The power cosmic allows him to manipulate creation, matter, energy, and universal sources. Galactus can erect nearly impenetrable fields, project devastating energies powerful enough to blow up planets and split them apart, shoot lasers or give off radiation, open wormholes or portals to other dimensions and time, transport beings across the universe and again even time, teleport, read minds across the universe, levitate matter via telekinesis, reconstruct matter or transmute it like turning water into ice, turn matter into energy or vise versa, manipulate elements and elements of the Periodic Table, blast meteors or comets, erase memories through manipulating souls, bestow power, repair or heal living tissue, or even resurrect the dead. From the comicvine Galactus page.

From what's written above it would seem evident that Galactus would see conscious thought (or a brain capable of it) as merely a physical arrangement of matter, for example someone with a brain injury might lose all sense of right and wrong. From Galactus' point of view it could be repaired by simply re-aligning atoms.

What it boils down to is that though self-awareness may seem like a big deal to us (I mean it kicks ass right?) in truth it is just another of evolutions little tricks, no different to a wing or an eye (I've got to be honest, I eat things that have both) For a being like Galactus it would be even less impressive.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:
    " @Do I have to give a name? said: I didn't say they don't mind, they just don't have the emotional abilities for it to be wrong.Once you reach that level, it doesn't matter how far you are above it, your life is worth living.  I mean, a chimp is bellow me on the evolutionary ladder, but I don't eat it. "
    So even though an elephant doesn't  want to die it's okay to kill it because they can't articulate the thought that "They shouldn't be doing this just for my tusks"?

Edit: The power cosmic allows him to manipulate creation, matter, energy, and universal sources. Galactus can erect nearly impenetrable fields, project devastating energies powerful enough to blow up planets and split them apart, shoot lasers or give off radiation, open wormholes or portals to other dimensions and time, transport beings across the universe and again even time, teleport, read minds across the universe, levitate matter via telekinesis, reconstruct matter or transmute it like turning water into ice, turn matter into energy or vise versa, manipulate elements and elements of the Periodic Table, blast meteors or comets, erase memories through manipulating souls, bestow power, repair or heal living tissue, or even resurrect the dead. From the comicvine Galactus page.

From what's written above it would seem evident that Galactus would see conscious thought (or a brain capable of it) as merely a physical arrangement of matter, for example someone with a brain injury might lose all sense of right and wrong. From Galactus' point of view it could be repaired by simply re-aligning atoms.

What it boils down to is that though self-awareness may seem like a big deal to us (I mean it kicks ass right?) in truth it is just another of evolutions little tricks, no different to a wing or an eye (I've got to be honest, I eat things that have both) For a being like Galactus it would be even less impressive.
    "

First off, elephants are too smart to be killed, and there is a law against it.
    Galactus can talk to the people he eats.  That makes him fully aware of what he is doing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    " First off, elephants are too smart to be killed, and there is a law against it.Galactus can talk to the people he eats.  That makes him fully aware of what he is doing. "

If elephants were too smart to be killed there would be no need for a law against it. There would also be a lot less Ivory antiques in circulation. And the law against it only reduces elephant hunting, it hasn't stopped it.

And the second point is exactly what I'm saying. Galactus is fully aware of what he's doing. As is any other meat eater. You claim that animals for the most part have no emotion, morality etc. This is a mistaken point of view. A quick google search would find you many many examples of animals displaying emotion. Morality/empathy etc are merely extensions of the altruistic behaviour necesary for any "community" of creatures to survive.

You seem to think that a humans mind is what makes the real difference here, But as I have stated before the mind is merely a quirk of evolution. Creatures which lack Conscious thought are no more eager to die. They still have a survival instinct and they still have nerve endings making them fully able feel pain, as well as adrenal glands (or their equivalents) that make it possible to feel anxiety and distress.

Shoot a piglets mother in front of it, watch the reaction. That alone would tell you that animals mourn. Really to say that it's okay to kill chickens because they show no signs that they can, for example, day dream. Is no different to saying it's okay to kill humans because they can't breath under water, or harness the power cosmic ;-)
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:
    " First off, elephants are too smart to be killed, and there is a law against it.Galactus can talk to the people he eats.  That makes him fully aware of what he is doing. "

If elephants were too smart to be killed there would be no need for a law against it. There would also be a lot less Ivory antiques in circulation. And the law against it only reduces elephant hunting, it hasn't stopped it.And the second point is exactly what I'm saying. Galactus is fully aware of what he's doing. As is any other meat eater. You claim that animals for the most part have no emotion, morality etc. This is a mistaken point of view. A quick google search would find you many many examples of animals displaying emotion. Morality/empathy etc are merely extensions of the altruistic behaviour necesary for any "community" of creatures to survive. You seem to think that a humans mind is what makes the real difference here, But as I have stated before the mind is merely a quirk of evolution. Creatures which lack Conscious thought are no more eager to die. They still have a survival instinct and they still have nerve endings making them fully able feel pain, as well as adrenal glands (or their equivalents) that make it possible to feel anxiety and distress.Shoot a piglets mother in front of it, watch the reaction. That alone would tell you that animals mourn. Really to say that it's okay to kill chickens because they show no signs that they can, for example, day dream. Is no different to saying it's okay to kill humans because they can't breath under water, or harness the power cosmic ;-)"

No, emotions are not physical atributes, and emotions (not fear, pain, excitement, etc., but real emotions) set us apart from chickens. 
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Fear is an emotion as is excitement. But the fact of the matter is Galactus does what he must to survive, that does not make him a murderer. Murderers don't need to murder to survive they do it for the pleasure they get out of it. Can a human survive by eating nothing but plants, sure, if you call that surviving. Making Galactus stop eating planets is like telling the sun not to raise or the ocean not to be wet.

Plus when he tried to take away his hunger using the Infinity Gems, he unleashed a being that devoured whole realities. He has seen the error of his ways and lives with that fact that he must do what he must do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said:
    No, emotions are not physical atributes, and emotions (not fear, pain, excitement, etc., but real emotions) set us apart from chickens.  "
    You're mistaken: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-27-2004-52238.asp

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/05/000501081252.htm

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/press_releases/pressrelease_braindamage_050592.htm

It's not that animals don't have emotions, they are simply not as well developed as our own, in much the same way that we are nowhere near as highly evolved (I use the term loosely in his case) as Galactus would be. How can you say what is morally reasonable for a being with near cosmic awareness?

@Nova`Prime` said:
    But the fact of the matter is Galactus does what he must to survive, that does not make him a murderer. Murderers don't need to murder to survive they do it for the pleasure they get out of it.

"Plus when he tried to take away his hunger using the Infinity Gems, he unleashed a being that devoured whole realities. He has seen the error of his ways and lives with that fact that he must do what he must do. "

Well said.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By box turtle
    "@box turtle said:
    No, emotions are not physical atributes, and emotions (not fear, pain, excitement, etc., but real emotions) set us apart from chickens.  "
    You're mistaken: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-27-2004-52238.asp

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/05/000501081252.htm

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/press_releases/pressrelease_braindamage_050592.htm

It's not that animals don't have emotions, they are simply not as well developed as our own, in much the same way that we are nowhere near as highly evolved (I use the term loosely in his case) as Galactus would be. How can you say what is morally reasonable for a being with near cosmic awareness?

@Nova`Prime` said:
    But the fact of the matter is Galactus does what he must to survive, that does not make him a murderer. Murderers don't need to murder to survive they do it for the pleasure they get out of it.

"Plus when he tried to take away his hunger using the Infinity Gems, he unleashed a being that devoured whole realities. He has seen the error of his ways and lives with that fact that he must do what he must do. "
    Well said."

Murder is never ok, especially when you can hear full well the people you are killing and know they could live happy, capable, full, lives. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By joshmightbe
    @box turtle:
    if he dies the universe goes with him so that would be bad
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By box turtle
    @joshmightbe said:
    "@box turtle: if he dies the universe goes with him so that would be bad "

Why is that?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joshmightbe
    @box turtle: ok then if you look at all things being equal if galactus is evil for what he does then every time you step on a bug youre committing murder cause thats about how he would see us.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joshmightbe
    @box turtle:
    to galactus all our emotions are considered pointless any way so thats not really a valid argument people have no more or less right to exist than any other life form.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By box turtle
    @joshmightbe said:
    "@box turtle: ok then if you look at all things being equal if galactus is evil for what he does then every time you step on a bug youre committing murder cause thats about how he would see us."

First off, bugs don't feel complex emotions like love.  Secondly, why does the world end with Galactus's death.
    box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By box turtle
    @joshmightbe said:
    "@box turtle: to galactus all our emotions are considered pointless any way so thats not really a valid argument people have no more or less right to exist than any other life form. "

Yes they do.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshmightbe

galactus is beyond good and evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@box turtle said: 

"Murder is never ok, especially when you can hear full well the people you are killing and know they could live happy, capable, full, lives."

So a pig would be happier on your plate than in a field? And you may say that a pigs life is pointless compared to a humans. But guess what. A humans life is pointless compared to what Galactus's would be. You may also say that pigs are unable to communicate with us. Spend some time in an abattoir, there can be no confusion over their feelings on the matter once the killing starts.

First off, bugs don't feel complex emotions like love.  Secondly, why does the world end with Galactus's death. "

Bugs no. Animals yes :     http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4595810.ece 

http://researchnews.wsu.edu/health/141.html 

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-10-2003-44071.asp 

The world ends with Galactus's death because that's how it's written. It's like superman flying, it doesn't have to be logical, it's fiction.

@box turtle

said:

" @joshmightbe said:

" @box turtle: to galactus all our emotions are considered pointless any way so thats not really a valid argument people have no more or less right to exist than any other life form. "

Yes they do. "

Why is that? As shown we're not the only species with emotions (even complex ones) and when looking at the whole picture there are much more useful species: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod 

http://www.drudge.com/archive/90802/bees-mans-future-dying 

http://www.naturegrid.org.uk/biodiversity/plants/crypalga.html

Fact is if humans were wiped out tomorrow a new dominant species would take our place soon enough. Emotions are not a rare occurrence and do not make us "special". Especially when put into the context of a fictitious universe with countless billions of "Civilized" worlds. Not that I like the idea of being eaten, I just don't delude myself that I have an unwritten right to step out of the hunter/prey scenario. Survival of the fittest and all that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.