Is Galactus' killings justified?

#1 Posted by WorldEater (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Are they really? 

#2 Edited by Israphael (354 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong section.

#3 Posted by nickzambuto (15035 posts) - - Show Bio

IIRC, Galactus is essential in the universe's continued survival.

So it's either Galactus eats a few planets, or the whole universe explodes.

Yes, I think they are justified.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus is beyond concepts like justice 

#5 Posted by Pyrogram (41344 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you justified eating a chicken, yes.

#6 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Do the planets he devours have to be occupied? Can he just eat planets that are dead? I actually don't know the answer, just throwing it out there. He may not consider whether they are occupied or not, because he's a "higher being" or whatever, but do they have to be?

#7 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9199 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

Are you justified eating a chicken, yes.

My thoughts exactly.  
Not like Galactus can go to a intergalactic fast food joints, and get something to go.

#8 Posted by xMercy (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes if he doesn't he will die and the universe with collapse due to him being in the Cosmic Vishanti, and Abraxas would be free and destroy everything yata yata yata

#9 Posted by demifiendninja (299 posts) - - Show Bio

yes. its called balance

#10 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

I know there was an FF story arc that portrayed him as a force of nature weeding out the weak and so on but just because a planet that is occupied with sentient life cannot either defeat or assuage Galactus does not mean that they are not worthy of existence.

If he was not such a base coward he would allow himself to starve to death and thus spare many billions of lives and a number of vast planets that might have one day supported life. But, no, he's hungry. Lame. So many should perish just because one giant being is hungry? Nay.

#11 Posted by BigCimmerian (8887 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

No.

I know there was an FF story arc that portrayed him as a force of nature weeding out the weak and so on but just because a planet that is occupied with sentient life cannot either defeat or assuage Galactus does not mean that they are not worthy of existence.

If he was not such a base coward he would allow himself to starve to death and thus spare many billions of live and a number of planets that might have one day supported sentient life. But, no, he's hungry. Lame

If Galactus dies then Abraxas would come and destroy everything. It's either just planets or entire multiverse.

#12 Posted by ImmortalOne (3539 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

No. I know there was an FF story arc that portrayed him as a force of nature weeding out the weak and so on but just because a planet occupied with sentient life cannot either defeat or assuade Galactus does not mean that they are not worthy of existence.

If he was not such a base coward he would allow himself to starve to death and thus spare many billions of live and a number of planets that might have one day supported sentient life. But, no, he's hungry. Lame

That's just like you eating a hamburger, bacon, or other forms of meat to a larger degree. If Galactus is guilty of eating, so are you. Also, your immune system kills off microorganisms, so you can't really be talking.

Anyways, if he doesn't, the Universe would die.

#13 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian said:

@TheSwordsman said:

No.

If Galactus dies then Abraxas would come and destroy everything. It's either just planets or entire multiverse.

Pfft. Hit him with the Ultimate Nullifier and Abraxas is toast.

@ImmortalOne said:

@TheSwordsman said:

No. I know there was an FF story arc that portrayed him as a force of nature weeding out the weak and so on but just because a planet occupied with sentient life cannot either defeat or assuade Galactus does not mean that they are not worthy of existence.

That's just like you eating a hamburger, bacon, or other forms of meat to a larger degree. If Galactus is guilty of eating, so are you. Also, your immune system kills off microorganisms, so you can't really be talking.

Anyways, if he doesn't, the Universe would die.

Wrong. A cow or a chicken is not capable of human speech or engineering or science or performing brain surgery or curing diseases, nor are bacteria/microscopic-organisms. It would only be analagous if i was a cannibal and ingested, say, someone with primordial dwarfism which would still be a horrendous, unjustifiable, act.

The universe would not die. 2 words: Ultimate Nullifier.

#14 Posted by BlackWind (7243 posts) - - Show Bio

He's beyond our concept of morality. Our opinions mean nothing.

#15 Edited by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

Oh great another cosmic entity that can't be killed because life ends.........seriously Marvel needs to stop with this stupid a$$ plot armor used to keep people alive. This is the only real thing that annoys me about Marvel atm.

#16 Edited by Dextersinister (6520 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

He's beyond our concept of morality. Our opinions mean nothing.

People keep saying this but then he wouldn't try and justify his actions to his victims. Can't he use his power to weaken himself so that he no longer needs to eat planets to survive.

How does his existence stop Abraxas from showing up? There are multiple copies of him accross the multiverse and he has already shown that he is not above base addiction so he could simply be lying.

#17 Posted by Shawnbaby (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@nickzambuto said:

Oh great another cosmic entity that can't be killed because life ends.........seriously Marvel needs to stop with this stupid a$$ plot armor used to keep people alive. This is the only real thing that annoys me about Marvel atm.

It's not like DC doesn't use the same sort of concept.

Darkseid's Omega Beams for example...they can completely eradicate you from existence....unless you are somehow too important to the universe. In which case...you're fine.

#18 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby: Oh I know DC uses it too it just annoys me. I mean things like the Phoenix and Galactus dying then causing the end of the universe seems pointless. They're already enormously powerful why not leave it at that?

#19 Posted by Dextersinister (6520 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@Shawnbaby: Oh I know DC uses it too it just annoys me. I mean things like the Phoenix and Galactus dying then causing the end of the universe seems pointless. They're already enormously powerful why not leave it at that?

I don't think either are essential, Galactus was an accident and the Phoenix may already be dead.

#20 Posted by Shawnbaby (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Ah ok....I misunderstood your intent.

I don't mind it when they link these kind of forces with creation....but the whole "the End of The Universe" aspect does get overused.

#21 Edited by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister: Unfortunately they are. If Galactus dies Abraxas gets freed and destroys everything. The Phoenix force is the embodiment of life (or some crap like that) and if it dies the Marvel multi-verse auto-dies with it. Its pretty stupid because they are already powerful without having ridiculous plot armor that means the Marvel-verse commits suicide with their deaths.......

#22 Posted by Shawnbaby (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Strider92 said:

I don't think either are essential, Galactus was an accident and the Phoenix may already be dead.

Well...the great thing about The Phoenix is they can kill it as many times as they want...It can always come back.

#23 Posted by Shawnbaby (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus' killings are as "justified" as a Lion killing a Gazelle. You wouldn't call a Lion a "murderer". It's simply doing what it needs to do to survive.

It's the Food Chain...Galactus is what you might call an Apex Predator.

#24 Posted by BlackWind (7243 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, Galactus will one day give back far more than he has ever taken.

#25 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

No, definitely not. The universe would go on just fine without him. I mean, he doesn't exist in DC and they're doing fine lol...but seriously though, no. He's a genocidal murderer.

#26 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

A man's gotta eat!

#27 Posted by Onemoreposter (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92: @WorldEater:@Dextersinister:

I'm sure you've heard old fossils like me talk about Pearl Harbor. Fact is, we mostly lie about it, we make it sound like we all leaped to our feet and went after the axis on the spot.

Hell, we were scared. Rumors were flying, we thought the Japanese had taken California. We didn't even have an army, so there we were, lying in bed with the sheets over our heads....

And there was Roosevelt, on the radio, strong and sure, taking fear and turning it into fighting spirit. Almost overnight we had our army.

We won the war.

A few years back a lot of people with a lot of evidence said Roosevelt knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked...and that he let it happen. Wasn't proven, things like that never are. I couldn't stop thinking how horrible that would be. Pearl Harbor is what got us up to fight the axis, but alot of innocent men died that day, but we won the war...

It bounced back and forth in my head till realized I couldn't judge it. it was too big. He was too big.

Heh, and so is Galactus. Cheer to anybody who get the reference.

#28 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: Sorry, I don't get the reference. But I think that whoever said that was wrong. If they truly knew that Pearl Harbor was going to happen, then the right thing to do would have been to try to prevent it rather than sacrificing people. I'd consider that pretty screwed up if they knew and allowed it to happen, regardless of the morale that surged from it.

#29 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

I'm sure you've heard old fossils like me talk about Pearl Harbor. Fact is, we mostly lie about it, we make it sound like we all leaped to our feet and went after the axis on the spot.

Hell, we were scared. Rumors were flying, we thought the Japanese had taken California. We didn't even have an army, so there we were, lying in bed with the sheets over our heads....

And there was Roosevelt, on the radio, strong and sure, taking fear and turning it into fighting spirit. Almost overnight we had our army.

We won the war.

A few years back a lot of people with a lot of evidence said Roosevelt knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked...and that he let it happen. Wasn't proven, things like that never are. I couldn't stop thinking how horrible that would be. Pearl Harbor is what got us up to fight the axis, but alot of innocent men died that day, but we won the war...

It bounced back and forth in my head till realized I couldn't judge it. it was too big. He was too big.

Heh, and so is Galactus. Cheer to anybody who get the reference.

@Strider92 said:

Seriously? THAT'S the only thing that annoys you? Not AvX, not the vast majority of the Marvel U acting out of character, not the half hearted "Me too!" New 52 'Marvel NOW!' crap? And Spider-Man's possibly going to be replaced or go more edgy/gritty? The fact that Marvel protects big cosmos characters by holding the multiverse hostage is the ONLY THING that annoys you about Marvel right now?!

#30 Posted by jloneblackheart (5497 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we discuss the morality of killing ants? No. They are beneath us and their existence is inconsequential. As humans, we justify anything and everything to suit our purposes and our existence. At least Galactus has a cosmic purpose. We're just apes with computers waiting out the clock.

#31 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@Strider92 said:

Seriously? THAT'S the only thing that annoys you? Not AvX, not the vast majority of the Marvel U acting out of character, not the half hearted "Me too!" New 52 'Marvel NOW!' crap? And Spider-Man's possibly going to be replaced or go more edgy/gritty? The fact that Marvel protects big cosmos characters by holding the multiverse hostage is the ONLY THING that annoys you about Marvel right now?!

I didn't read AvX so I can't be annoyed at it and from what i've seen Spider-man isn't being replaced. Marvel Now! I don't really care about due to the fact theres only 2 titles in Marvel I pick up now (previously it was just Scarlet Spider) so again why should I annoyed at something I don't read?

#32 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

I didn't read AvX so I can't be annoyed at it and from what i've seen Spider-man isn't being replaced. Marvel Now! I don't really care about due to the fact theres only 2 titles in Marvel I pick up now (previously it was just Scarlet Spider) so again why should I annoyed at something I don't read?

Eh, it's the principal of the thing: These are abominations of such stature that they should automatically light a fire of hatred with your heart just because they exist and go against ones principals as a reader of comics. And it appears that Spidey WILL be replaced for the upcoming Superior Spider-Man comics. So there's that.

#33 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

If he doesn't feed, a worse being will try to destroy the universe (forget the name.)

#34 Edited by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: Fair point.

It still hasn't been concretely stated that it isn't Peter under the mask. We've been told its not Peter but we don't know if this is a metaphorical thing. Slott likes misdirecting us. He said Curt Connors would kill the Lizard in "No Turning Back" and he did. Just not how we all thought. It is completely possible that it is still Peter under the mask just with a new name or a new body thanks to regeneration.

#35 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Oh, goodie. Wordplay. Thinking whatever Peter does in 700 it'll result in him no longer allowed to be Peter Parker, so he takes a new identity?

#36 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: That would be my guess. Either he takes on a new name or maybe he and Ock kill each other in 700 and the "Other" brings him back to life as it did last time he died but also giving him a new body/face in process. It would explain his claws.

#37 Posted by Rumble Man (11073 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah

Just like everything is

Why did they kill that guy, because that guy is from a different 'group'

That is a justification enough, but does not mean that it is a good justification

a good example would be racial purity, it is a valid justification

but is it a good one?

you be the judge

#38 Edited by stormphoenix (947 posts) - - Show Bio

#39 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus is one of those beautiful characters from the Lee/Kirby era that challenges so many things. The character himself is amoral like as to presume the concept of a higher purpose than we can qualify. However, the character has a defined purpose that is essential to the existence of us mere mortals. He must feed on planets to sustain his lifeforce and keep the universe alive. He doesn't need to feed on occupied planets to survive, yet he chooses to it seems more often than not. Is this because he enjoys it or is it because it's irrelevant whether or not a planet is inhabited to a cosmic entity? To me the question is: are the humans of earth being selfish by denying Galactus to feed on it? If he hungers and he has set his sights on Earth and we fight it and he starves would the death of the universe be our fault?

By "our" I of course mean the fictional humans of the Marvel Universe and not us literally.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.