How is Galactus different from the Celestials?

#1 Posted by dewboy01 (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

Surely he must look like one of them?

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

He has a different purpose than the other Celestials.

#3 Posted by jloneblackheart (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: he's not a Celestial

Galactus is a cosmic being, the balance between Eternity and Death. He serves a cosmic purpose.

The Celestials are once mortal beings that progressed their technology and knowledge to cosmic levels.

#4 Posted by AssertingValor (5449 posts) - - Show Bio

He isnt much more powerfull than they are........

#5 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Short answer: he's not a Celestial Galactus is a cosmic being, the balance between Eternity and Death. He serves a cosmic purpose. The Celestials are once mortal beings that progressed their technology and knowledge to cosmic levels.

wow, thanks, i didnt know that about the celestials

@ebuchanan said:

He isnt much more powerfull than they are........

i thought he was weaker than they were

@dewboy01 said:

Surely he must look like one of them?

he doesnt look that similar IMO. Also i believe he is a being that is the only survivor of his race and all of the previous life before the big bang.

@TheCrowbar said:

He has a different purpose than the other Celestials.

you make it sound like he is a celestial just for a different purpose

#6 Posted by jloneblackheart (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I know, Galactus is more powerful than any of the Celestials. The main issue is there is only one Galactus. Plus, Big G has varying power levels based on his hunger.

I guess we will see in Fantastic Four soon.

#7 Posted by BoundlessPowerCosmic (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Short answer: he's not a Celestial Galactus is a cosmic being, the balance between Eternity and Death. He serves a cosmic purpose. The Celestials are once mortal beings that progressed their technology and knowledge to cosmic levels.

Wrong on both counts.

The celestials DO SERVE a cosmic purpose, fact. They are responsible for both creating species, key evolutionary events and for erasing species from existence in case they fail to meet their criteria after a period of time defined by themselves.

On top of that, the Celestials were NEVER mortal beings; they were the manifestation of Eternity's thoughts (and I quote: "and from this meditation came the manifestation - as the celestials appeared from the nebulous spheres"); nebulous spheres (their minds), which gestated in the form of living galaxies. After the maturation process is complete, they are encased by a full suit of VIRTUALLY indestructible body armour that transcends dimensions (or else they would appear to us as big as a galaxy).

Galactus on the other hand, is an universe entire - the living embodiment of the cosmos before our own, and, according to Byrne's arc, the next Eternity. He was saved by the Phoenix Force and merged with the incarnation of Eternity of the previous universe.

For more information on Galactus go to: http://www.comicvine.com/galactus/29-2149/the-true-power-of-galactus/92-527038/ and http://www.comicvine.com/galactus/29-2149/can-you-explain-to-me-why-you-think-galactus-is-so-powerful/92-551264/?page=3

So you're basically comparing a few galaxies to an universe whose power level greatly varies depending on how hungry Galactus is. No offence to the celestial fanboys but SOON, soon.... we'll see.

#8 Posted by jloneblackheart (5483 posts) - - Show Bio
@BoundlessPowerCosmic Just because they have a purpose in the cosmos does not mean they serve a cosmic purpose in the scheme of the universes existence. If they were all killed or died, there would be no cosmic consequence.

As for them being mortal once, it depends on the story you read. Same with the involvement of the Phoenix force in Galactus' existence.
#9 Posted by Corneliusthegreat (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus was created by the celestials as the sole survivor....he has an unlimited power which can create such destruction, has more prominent mind than other living creature (right after celestials have passed away)....can enhance the power of the specific creature and turn them into his heralds .......more likely, one of my most favorite hero in Marvel (i call him a hero because he saves the universe from "Hunger" and team up with Thanos to stop Hunger from entering the reality <earth 616> )

#10 Posted by The Enigma (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

He likes to be tickeld

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.