Enough with raping Galactus.

#1 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

I must say I am quite annoyed and tired at the number of times when a writer has depowered Galactus or underestimated his might and what he is supposed to represent.

One of the biggest rapes according to me was orchestrated by an artist and a writer that I otherwise admire but who in this occasion just betrayed big G: during the Hunger arc, Galactus is being depicted as an idiot who doesn't understand much of the way the universe works and who, in addition, can even be hurt by one of Thanos's blows.

No, no, no I say. Thanos might be powerful, be he is still on a very different power range. Galactus eats planets for breakfast, he is almost omniscient and has been monitoring this universe almost since the day of its creation, you just can't make him an idiot who can be hurt be a demi-god.

My favourite recent interpretation is the one that was given to us by Abnett and lanning in the "Final Hour" Nova issue (number 14 I think): Not only Galactus but even his herald are way above the classic powerhouses of the Marvel universe.

What do you think, don't you believe the devourer should represent a constant and some sort of scale in the Marvel universe?

#2 Posted by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

He still walks away in the end. Sometimes when one has the power to do something, they still don't simply because they don't even have to.

#3 Posted by Saren (25116 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, he's fighting Celestials in the next issue of Fantastic Four.

#4 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: True, he walks away, but we see him literally harmed (with his suit crippled) by an ENERGY blow! Come on, the guy sometimes absorbs enough energy to recreate entire galaxies. I mean, come on. He's Galactus.

#5 Posted by Bernicky (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly read Annihilation, he gets his share of raping everything else back in like 1 page lol.

#6 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bernicky: Yeah, I love the "know my wrath!" line.

#7 Posted by Bernicky (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: sexiest line ever

#8 Posted by Time_Phantom (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Prehapes he should seek some Counciling for all this rape?

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol...

Just pictured a giant dude with a purple helmet getting raped by Thanos.

#10 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree we should stop committing sexual assaults on Galactus...wait what?

#11 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Eh, he's fighting Celestials in the next issue of Fantastic Four.

#12 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: me2 x3

#13 Edited by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: Apparently, rogues from Titan do it better, but they never call you in the morning because they returned to their deadly mistress.

#14 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: Wait what if Galactus got pregnat from it xD

#15 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. The only person who should be allowed to bring Galactus to his knees is DOOM - and that was a one-time only scenario.

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

All rape is bad. This includes the rape of Galactus.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio

C-List character + No Contribution to Marvel's revenue=Writing Fodder.

#18 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio

When did rape become a word used in this context?

I don't understand... eh.

#19 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

When the internet was invented.

The context isn't that hard to understand anyway. "Rape" here = written terribly.

#20 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3866 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Hawkeye446 said:

When the internet was invented.

The context isn't that hard to understand anyway. "Rape" here = written terribly.

No, I understand what the context is - I just don't understand why.

Thank you though.

#21 Posted by gravitypress (2066 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has a way of making their most powerful into punching bags for little to no reason. Thor, Galactus and many more are downplayed considerably.

#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Lol...

So yeah....I was planning on getting therapy anyway....

#23 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a way for writers to show the villain as a legible threat and quickly raise the stakes up. Like in Annihilation, depowering Galactus was a quick way to show that Annihilus isn't messing around. He's a dangerous threat.

#24 Edited by nickthedevil (13969 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Lol...

So yeah....I was planning on getting therapy anyway....

hey at least now you can't put it off for later :)

#25 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and since I'm whining, how come Galactus never met the Guardians of the Galaxy, the original team I mean. I want to see what the conversation would be.

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91414 posts) - - Show Bio
@DocFatalis said:

Oh, and since I'm whining, how come Galactus never met the Guardians of the Galaxy, the original team I mean. I want to see what the conversation would be.

Huh? 
#27 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13676 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this thread was about something else. I was about to give the big G a number for a certain hotline.

#28 Posted by daak1212 (7866 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus sucks

#29 Edited by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

He still walks away in the end. Sometimes when one has the power to do something, they still don't simply because they don't even have to.

@DocFatalis said:

@CATPANEXE: True, he walks away, but we see him literally harmed (with his suit crippled) by an ENERGY blow! Come on, the guy sometimes absorbs enough energy to recreate entire galaxies. I mean, come on. He's Galactus.

To be specific, the Galactus almost always shown on panel is the form he/it assumes to interact with static reality, in other words, what we see is Galactus as his own avatar. Not unlike seeing the Phoenix Force representing in a host whom can be affected by the regular physical plane. The true form of Galactus however, the one that stands next to and shakes the hand of Eternity (1, 2 ) and is brother to Death (1a, 2a ), is the matter I was pointing at. I think it's safe to say that when that form is tampered with, or if it was tampered with in a manner it was unusable, that the " entity " that is Galactus could simply repair/reform it, and seems to in the present case at all times. Again, Galactus is defined as a natural force, he would likely observe the balance of that and even go as far as to allow attacks on his form in order to preserve the balance, and because really the lasting effect of any are moot. Eternity itself will allow itself to be destroyed if it comes to it, stating that it would be in the cosmic order of things for such an event to happen, and will refuse to defend itself in the case of.

The short of it, Galactus takes it because he can. Most beings and offenses to his " form " are in the end not of consequence. Compare to characters like Thor, Wolverine, and Superman not avoiding attacks on their person. They really don't have to even bother in the end of it. They will be standing unscathed later. Add, what exactly Galactus is and his purpose/motivation for being. Galactus devours worlds because it's his purpose dictated by the natural balance. Likewise occurrences around him, including attacks on his shell (think Onslaught), are just natural functions within Eternities body to him, and always escapable. This is offset however when Galactus does take arms, though note and despite how he rationalizes this to others, is generally done to preserve either other beings who are reluctant to stand up to challenges they face, or the challenge threatens to interfere with the order of his own natural purpose.

-----

To be a little clearer, since it was brought to light that my composure may be off. Again, like the Phoenix Force, Galactus is infinitely above and beyond what we know as physical and conventional reality, as well as beyond time, space, and perception itself in their true forms. Hence, they need to establish a form to contact and interact with the place which they themselves are removed from and in doing so, have to use a form that is inevitably able to be effected by the lesser planes, ei: physically interacted with, even damaged apparently. If you ever read Stephen Kings IT, or saw the movie, compare this to IT. IT was a being that was far removed from any form of reality humans were capable of perceiving at all. In order to feed, it took on several different forms. The more familiar, was Pennywise The Clown, as psychic/mental/emotional manifestation used to evaluate and weaken it's prey. This form could be interacted with adversely on those planes. IT also took a physical form when it came time to actually feed on matter, and this form could be harmed. That didn't however do much to actually destroy the entity known as IT. See, even in such a beings case, it still is attached in way or another to physical existence, and if it's not self sustaining it does require a means to gain sustenance from corporeal reality. In this is found the nature of Galactus and the form that usually presents itself. Again, Galactus also takes a natural stance for this form knowing full well it can not be effected at the end of the day by such lesser physical attempts. Compare God taking human form here, or a better example would be Jesus Christ, his life and the fact he allowed humans to interact with him in any of the ways they did. So it is actually relevant that Galactus's form can be assaulted in such a sense, especially considering the devastating and unique forces often at play in the situations. It comes as a matter of skewed perception. We as a species do cause a large amount of damage to the planet Earth. But really, this doesn't effect the Universe so much to the point that it doesn't bother to try and stop us from doing so. It will be there as will the planet Earth after we are dust. dust which it will just well consume.

#30 Posted by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the recent portrayal of his powers only falling to the combined forces of the Celestials

#31 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

" I...Galactus...hereby inform you insignificant humans that any attempt to rape me would be for naught...for mine pimp hand is strong"

#32 Posted by Herokiller12344 (997 posts) - - Show Bio

If they're not going to use Galactus as the Apocalyptic Threat that he was when he started, they should either kill him off (which would be a pretty epic storyline in itself) Or make him a Good Guy. Now before you guys hang me for saying this, Its obvious that in Marvel, there are things WAY worse than him hanging around. The Celestials are a pretty good example, and THANOS, but even now that I'm done with this train of thought I can tell that this would be an atrocious idea. Better Idea incoming! Make Galacta a major player, instead of that Anime-esque space demigod that people like to draw sexual fan art for. Either way, I think it's easy to tell that Galactus's run as an actual threat is just about done.

#33 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus is a joke.I can't take view him as all powerful. He became the herald of adult franklin richards? Galactus sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.