Star Wars the Old Republic

• 199 results
#1 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer looked good...Hopefully the game will be too whenever it comes out

#2 Posted by Wisppeons (3726 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer was epic if the game is anything like it, it might have a chance to give wow a run for its money.

#3 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree..I got over wow a while ago.

If it brings what the website says it plans to bring it looks like it might be the first legit one like you said.

#4 Posted by Wisppeons (3726 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" I agree..I got over wow a while ago.If it brings what the website says it plans to bring it looks like it might be the first legit one like you said. "
I plan to drop wow once theres  another good MMO out there i tried most of them and they arent as good to me the bar has been set pretty high lol.
#5 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

let's just hope this is just as good :p

#6 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

AMAZING!

#7 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man I was searching for a thread about this the other day and I was surprised that I couldn't find one.I have been watching that trailer over and over again since E3.I am not an MMO kind of gamer but I am so anxious to play this.No doubt one of the best videogame trailers nay one of the greatest trailers ever.

but I'd rather have KOTOR instead of any MMO.

#8 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Archetype said:
" Oh man I was searching for a thread about this the other day and I was surprised that I couldn't find one.I have been watching that trailer over and over again since E3.I am not an MMO kind of gamer but I am so anxious to play this.No doubt one of the best videogame trailers nay one of the greatest trailers ever.but I'd rather have KOTOR instead of any MMO. "
Knights of the old republic 1 and 2 are in my top 10 games of all time...so much replay value its rediculous
#9 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the problem with the Jedi was always when they became blinded by pryde. Looks a nice game to be played.

#10 Posted by jesterlichloath (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant describe how awesome that looked, love the kotor games and i cant imagine what is going to be possible in this. ive never played an mmo except for the ten day trial of wow and thought it was ok but not amazing. I cant wait to see this game let alone play it

#11 Posted by King Saturn (223969 posts) - - Show Bio
wowzers....

looks pretty damn good
#12 Posted by Honor Guard (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

This is very misleading lol

I was a bit disappointed when i found out it was an MMo because i was hoping for a KOTOR three...

#13 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Trailer was awesome, but I find MMOs really, really damn boring, so not very hyped for this.

#14 Posted by jesterlichloath (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@Honor Guard said:
"This is very misleading lolI was a bit disappointed when i found out it was an MMo because i was hoping for a KOTOR three... "

yeah i have the first two kotors and still play them, im keeping my fingers crossed this turns out well i mean it is bioware and they have a great track records so i have hopes. anybody know if this is pc only or if it might be conslose too like dcuniverse?
#15 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought this was so awesome its even on PS3

#16 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nahero said:
" i thought this was so awesome its even on PS3 "
I gotta get a ps3
#18 Posted by jesterlichloath (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

so it is going to be on the ps3 officially? i cant find it anywhere on the actual website for old republic

#19 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesterlichloath said:
" so it is going to be on the ps3 officially? i cant find it anywhere on the actual website for old republic "
I think it's only PC
#20 Edited by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesterlichloath said:
" so it is going to be on the ps3 officially? i cant find it anywhere on the actual website for old republic "

both PS3 and online I read it but i can always check twice

ok its not on the list sorry guys
#21 Posted by jesterlichloath (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i figured its only pc thats why i was amazed dcu is going to be on ps3

#22 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

new trailers are in!

#23 Posted by Mr. Exfed (1127 posts) - - Show Bio

Goodbye World of Warcraft
Hello Old Republic =]

#24 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sparda said:
" Trailer was awesome, but I find MMOs really, really damn boring, so not very hyped for this. "
You have to keep in mind that MMO's are a lot about community as well. Not just gameplay. I've met some of the nicest people and people who I still consider friends and family from playing Star Wars Galaxies. A lot of us have come and gone from that game as the years passed. Since they changed it up so often, many times unjustly so and making the game worse. We're all hoping this game is worth it so we reuinite and beat some Sith @$$!
If this game ends up being as good as I Hope it is. Andferne will be returning to the Star Wars Universe.
#25 Posted by jesterlichloath (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

going to be the first mmo i play i think

#26 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of MMO's being made to accommodate platforms. There is just too many limitations that get introduced that way.

#27 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Spider-man. said:
" @Sparda said:
" Trailer was awesome, but I find MMOs really, really damn boring, so not very hyped for this. "
You have to keep in mind that MMO's are a lot about community as well. Not just gameplay. I've met some of the nicest people and people who I still consider friends and family from playing Star Wars Galaxies. A lot of us have come and gone from that game as the years passed. Since they changed it up so often, many times unjustly so and making the game worse. We're all hoping this game is worth it so we reuinite and beat some Sith @$$!If this game ends up being as good as I Hope it is. Andferne will be returning to the Star Wars Universe. "
I knew it was you.

have fun facing me when I'm a sith :)
#28 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" I knew it was you.
have fun facing me when I'm a sith :) "
lol
Will do, but I won't come alone. I'll have my Ice Dragons to back my war efforts. :P
I loved PvPing in SWG, some of my favorite moments are in pvp. That and I loved finding ways to solo the missions that were unsoloable. lol
We'll have to make sure to get on the same server so that we can face off then.
#29 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Spider-man. said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" I knew it was you.
have fun facing me when I'm a sith :) "
lolWill do, but I won't come alone. I'll have my Ice Dragons to back my war efforts. :PI loved PvPing in SWG, some of my favorite moments are in pvp. That and I loved finding ways to solo the missions that were unsoloable. lolWe'll have to make sure to get on the same server so that we can face off then. "
For sure! and I'll have uh...ME.
#30 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" For sure! and I'll have uh...ME. "
We'll set up some duals and stuff. Depending on how the quests are set up we can team up to level up.
#31 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Spider-man. said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" For sure! and I'll have uh...ME. "
We'll set up some duals and stuff. Depending on how the quests are set up we can team up to level up. "
Thanks man..Hopefully the game is as pretty as the trailer.
#32 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

The opening trailer you posted is just that. A trailer, no game ends up looking as smooth as them.
From what I have seen on the actual game play it won't look like that. Unless they have changed things. Been a while since I checked my account on their website and what all has gone on. Just waiting for them to send me my email for open beta when it start.s lol

#33 Posted by Secret Turchin Man (1852 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wisppeons said:
"@geraldthesloth said:
" I agree..I got over wow a while ago.If it brings what the website says it plans to bring it looks like it might be the first legit one like you said. "
I plan to drop wow once theres  another good MMO out there i tried most of them and they arent as good to me the bar has been set pretty high lol."

As weird as this sounds. And I know it does. I like City of Heroes much more than WoW.
#34 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio
@Secret Turchin Man said:
" I like City of Heroes much more than WoW. "
YES!
I can't stand Wow, personally. Last year or so I've been back to playing CoH again. They have recently done some cool updates for it too. A mission creator where you can make your own missions and have people play through them. Also their next expansion is going to come out soon, which takes you into their cross world, where the heroes are villains. Also in that one you will be able to make Villains become heroes and vice versa.
#35 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Spider-man. said:
" @Secret Turchin Man said:
" I like City of Heroes much more than WoW. "
YES!I can't stand Wow, personally. Last year or so I've been back to playing CoH again. They have recently done some cool updates for it too. A mission creator where you can make your own missions and have people play through them. Also their next expansion is going to come out soon, which takes you into their cross world, where the heroes are villains. Also in that one you will be able to make Villains become heroes and vice versa. "
Ugh I wanted to play CoH but it had so many patches..and it sucked up all my memory
#36 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty good

#37 Posted by Light (9257 posts) - - Show Bio

#38 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

The gameplay  looks impressive.

#39 Posted by Giuseppe Riccadonna (2071 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't look as good as the original KOTOR gameplay.

#40 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Giuseppe Riccadonna said:
" Doesn't look as good as the original KOTOR gameplay. "
It looks a tad like it with added elements

It looks better
#41 Posted by Giuseppe Riccadonna (2071 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:
Not to me. I remember the original and second game you saw the lightsabers actually making contact. This looks like the sabers are just swining around. IDK, maybe it'll look better if I played.
#42 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
" @geraldthesloth: Not to me. I remember the original and second game you saw the lightsabers actually making contact. This looks like the sabers are just swining around. IDK, maybe it'll look better if I played. "
In the trailer it  showed more of the fancy lightsaber movies..not alot of contact between them lol.
#43 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio
" @geraldthesloth: Not to me. I remember the original and second game you saw the lightsabers actually making contact. This looks like the sabers are just swining around. IDK, maybe it'll look better if I played. "
Also take into consideration that this one is made to be a MMO. If they used the same graphics as the KoTor games, then not very many machines and platforms would be able to run this game without serious lag. Unlike those first two games you are going to have hundreds of people on the servers. If you have never played a MMO then you won't understand this part.

The vidoe that Light posted is also a early version of gameplay. That was one of the if not the first game play video they released for viewing. Once Beta openings up and the game goes live that will be fine tuned some. The actual graphics of the game are awesome, IMO. Not counting the overly large Lightsabers, which is something I hope they fix.
#44 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18847 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#45 Posted by jesterlichloath (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

dont lool like oversized sabers to me but i guess thats just me

#46 Posted by .Spider-man. (3938 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesterlichloath said:
" dont lool like oversized sabers to me but i guess thats just me "
Should see some of the screen shots, when they are not in motion.
#47 Posted by G-Man (31619 posts) - - Show Bio
New trailer.

(And I'm moving this thread to the Old Republic forum).
Staff
#48 Edited by Tank. (2064 posts) - - Show Bio
General:
  • Only being released for PC, no consoles
  • 8 Classes confirmed - Multiple reviews
  • Seems that the Game has PvE Mode and a PvP Mode - SifiWire
  • No Permadeath - Confirmed by Dev Damion Schubert
  • The game is not aimed at the Hardcore player but the Star Wars, RPG and Bioware Fans - GamesRadar
  • Graphics are great and smooth - Mentioned in Multiple Reviews
  • The interface seems standardized. Hot keys on a UI Bar. - 1UP
  • Bioware was aware of there limitations in the MMO market so took the cream of all there divisions and hired people who were well versed in the MMO field - GamesRadar
  • The Majority of the Game can be done without Any help from anyone else - StarWarsMMO Demo
  • Space Experience will be in game, its still being worked on - Machinima
  • Subtitles for alien speech. - EuroGamer
  • 200+ Hours of game play per character - Gamespot 2 Vid.
  • BioWare is currently indicating that it will be unwilling to let players skip or read dialogue scenes- EuroGamer
  • The UI Can be customized!- StarWarsMMO
  • Naming Filters include not being able to have numbers, special characters or Star Wars names - StarWarsMMO Demo
  • Full Voice overs for all NPC, Companions and Player Characters - Bioware E3
  • Some voice overs being done by cast members of Battlestar Galatica - Kokaku
  • There is mention of a Player Driven Economy in the review from Joystiq.
  • The aim is to remove Grinding - multiple reviews.
  • They are looking into separate servers for PvP, RP etc as an option. - StarWarsMMO
  • They are trying to make TOR available to People with a mix of PC quality Old and New- StarWarsMMO
  • PvP, Auction House, Raiding and an Economy all confirmed on video by a Dev: ZAM
  • The Game is fully operational now Gophn.com
  • Localised instancing - When getting/handing in a quest you are the only one at NPC - MMOGAMER

Characters:
  • Still no mention of non-human playable races.
  • Information on races other than Human coming soon - StarWarsMMO
  • Was mentioned that both Trooper and Smuggler can use cover - GamesRadar
  • Bounty Hunters start on Hutta - Mentioned in Multiple Reviews
  • Bounty Hunters Story Arc is called 'The Great Hunt' - SifiWire
  • Bounty Hunters as well as ranged can do hand to hand combat plus dirty tricks - SifiWire
  • Smuggler starts on Ord Mantell - Mentioned in Multiple Reviews
  • Trooper also starts on Ord Mantell - GamesRadar
  • Characters can Jump!- StarwarsMMO
  • There is one Male and One Female voice per Class - Sean Dahlberg
  • Full Body and Facial expressions while speaking - StarWarsMMO Demo
  • Player Characters have some intresting moves.. Smuggler (knee NPC in nuts and shoot them in the head)
  • Mixed Party Quests, If a Smuggler and Jedi group to go do the Smuggler quest line there will be quests for the Jedi to do while helping Smuggler - MMOGAmer
  • Dialog selection via a Mass Effect Style Dialog wheel - GameSutra
  • There is an END to each classes Story with new content to extend each story- MMOGamer
  • The more Dark/Light Side you go you gain access to more abilities that lean towards that calling that going the other way denies you. - GameSutra

Combat:
  • No Auto Attack - Mentioned in Multiple Reviews
  • Combat is fast paced (Almost Console Speed) - TenTonHammer
  • Synchronized combat. Lightsabers actually clash etc - GamesRadar
  • Enemies fall fast and come quick, and the pace of action is consistent.- EuroGamer
  • While seeing the Combat in the Flashpoint its seemed very like Battlefront with 10 vs 2 combat - StarWarsMMO Demo
  • When engaging NPCs the NPC switched from Ranged to Melee as the Players got closer - StarWarsMMO Demo
  • Combat was more fluid not stiff like KOTRO - StarWarsMMO Demo
  • Cooldowns on the skills were very short, and the skills themselves were swift, immediate- EuroGamer
  • TOR is NOT going for normal MMO Combat but Star Wars Combat (2.43 on vid)- Gamespot 17th June
  • Sith was shown to use combo points to activate special moves similar to a rogue in WoW - GamesRadar
  • Players seem to be able to take on 1 to 4 NPCs at the same time. - Destructoid + StarWarsMMO
  • Duel use of Lightsabers shown. - Mentioned in Multiple Reviews
  • The Sith was Auto deflecting Blaster Bolts during the Flashpoint - StarWarsMMO Demo

Flashpoints/Loot:
  • Loot seems to be based on Light/Darkside as well as class.
  • End Game Content like Raiding is available if players do not want to re roll- MMOGamer
  • Looting is the standard Loot types in other MMOs - StarWarsMMO
  • Choices in Flashpoints can change the course of the instance. Kill a NPC and 'A' happens.. do not kill and 'B' happens. - Mentioned in Multiple Reviews
  • Flashpoints can be done solo or grouped.
  • Mentioned that during a solo Flashpoint (dungeons) friends can be invited at anypoint while doing quests - GamesRadar
  • Group decisions in Flashpoints (Its mentioned that BW are still working on how to apply LS/DS points depending on outcome).
  • Loot sets also seem to be in game, possible mutliple PvP sets mentioned - Gamespot Smuggler
  • The Group decisions seem to work like the LOTRO Combo Combat function, you get little time to decide what you want to do. A selection of outcomes appear and you have to decide fast.
  • Multiple different outfits per class- TenTonHammer (watch vid)

Edit: That is all of the known and confirmed parts for the game so far.
#49 Posted by lionhearted (152 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome stuff.

#50 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tank.: Thanks, that is a great round up of info.I am very eagerly awaiting this game although hopefully there is still enough time for me to get a better computer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.