Live-Action Star Wars Series In Preproduction?

Posted by G-Man (18918 posts) - - Show Bio

 


I will start off by saying that I am a huge Star Wars fan.  There has been talk of a Star Wars live-action tv series for a little while.  Today,  Sci Fi Wire has posted that their Australian sister site has reported that preproduction has begun.  The show is set to be shot in Australia and debut in 2010.  It has been reported that it will take place in between Episodes III and IV.

Is this a good thing?  The basic consensus is the newer trilogy (Episodes I-III) were not as good as the original trilogy.  There has also been reports that there will not be any major existing characters present, including Jedi or Sith.  What's the point then?  Apparently the Empire will be on the rise but the Emperor himself won't be seen.

According to Slash Film, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that the great Boba Fett would be "an instrumental part" of the series.  Okay, now I'm starting to get excited.  But how does this fit with the "no major existing characters" ideal?  The other sort of good news is the show has been described as " Deadwood meets The Sopranos in space."  That sounds weird but interesting.  Hopefully the show won't be watered down for "the kids" yet not be over the top and go against what the franchise has stood for.

What would you like to see in the series?  With the success of Battlestar Galactica, do you think a Star Wars tv show could work?  Would you be interested in a sci-fi tv series set in the Star Wars universe?  What minor characters would you like to see explored in this time period?  Is there any hope that this will redeem the franchise and bring it back to greatness?
#1 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Bobba Fett as a main character? Badass

#2 Posted by War Killer (20292 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they have New Jedi, and yeah Bobba Fett sounds cool

#3 Posted by danhimself (22718 posts) - - Show Bio

apparently this is the hardest show ever to make since they've been saying they're making it since the times of episode 1

Online
#4 Posted by NovaHulk (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they make a movie or tv series about the old Republic (Kotor, Ep 1, 2, 3)...Star Wars was weird after Episode 6 with all those weird plots...maybe a Clone Trooper/Band of Brothers tv series?

#5 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

no. I love the original Star Wars, but I am tired of this new junk. How much more prequel crap can Lucas pull. There were parts that were okay with the new Star Wars but overall the sucked. Unless they start doing something after episode 6 I am done with movies and tv shows.

#6 Posted by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (231 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I want to see: a series that's NOT about the clone wars. This is a very interesting peice of Star Wars history that I haven't seen much of. Maybe if you've read all of the books and comics then you do, but I'm just a fan of the movies and games. I wonder if Darth Vader's apprentice from the Force Unleashed is going to be seen, because technically, he's not a major character. Hm. But this is good news.

#7 Posted by G-Man (18918 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Bobba Fett as a main character? Badass "
I've been trying to catch up on the novels (listening to the audio books on my way to the office).  I'm currently in the Legacy of the Force series and it's been interesting how Boba's been dealt with.  He's obviously old and starting to degenerate (being a clone).  The references to his childhood and the other clones has been nice.  I'd love to see more of his time in becoming the badass that he is.
#8 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

I am wary of this.  Beyond Boba Fett being a "main character" who else and what setting is going to be involved if no other well known characters?  George Lucas is renowned for his ability with CG but not so much with actors, in my opinion.  I reserve judgment till more information is out there.

#9 Posted by Kurrent (14070 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll watch it just because it is Star Wars

#10 Posted by War Killer (20292 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked all of the movies

#11 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give it a chance.

#12 Posted by DarkCanuck (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember hearing about this last year, I believe it was some offhand comments Lucas made in an interview. Sorry can't remember where.
But I think he mentioned that they were gearing towards HBO and the other mature networks because the show would probably be directed at adults, meaning an hour runtime, contain swearing and other mature situations.
Could have some serious potential.

#13 Edited by Tyler Starke (4230 posts) - - Show Bio

it might work, but I dunno it would be very weird to see Star wars characters swearing and F***ing. I don't think it would mesh well together at all, I've always been a big star wars fan, but all I've ever wanted to see is Star Wars VII why can't they go forward in time, The Novels that take place after jedi have some amazing stories why not exploit some of that,  Has anyone else started to hate the word prequel as much as i have.

#14 Posted by xscarletkittie (594 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if it's going to be based around bounty hunters, considering Boba Fett will be an instrumental character and all. Could also go into how everyday people are being affected by the rise of the Empire. I think that would be interesting to touch on; always wondered about the 'little people' during this time. The fact it might be geared more towards adults has me sort of excited. I'll give it a chance and see where it goes.

#15 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Boba the Fett? noosh

#16 Posted by MysteriousBlack (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Sam Witwer will be back as Starkiller... They said they won't use any Major characters... What's this show even about at this point?

#17 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this show will have to be more like the original trilogy for it to work, maybe the constrains of a television budget will keep it from being all CGI and no story. It'll be good for this show to finally see the light of day....I hope.

#18 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

How are they going to make a Star Wars Live Action TV Show without major characters. If they are not using major characters ,whats the point of making this show,but I will give it a change.

#19 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on! We want major characters!

#20 Posted by Aronmorales (9304 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars series? Boba Fett?
giggidy.

#21 Posted by AngelFrost (2797 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly,
I think it will totally bomb....

and Star Wars fans are very serious over this franchise, so if they don't do it exactly how they want , it won't go very far.

Also, the budget must cost a hell of a lot.

#22 Posted by jefprice (848 posts) - - Show Bio

If they did a Old Republic show with all the Jedi stuff I'd be up for it.

#23 Posted by SystemID (439 posts) - - Show Bio

I've known about this for awhile now. They were planning on this around the same time they were planning for the CG Clone Wars stuff. I think it sounds pretty cool. Gotta love Boba.

#24 Posted by G-Man (18918 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
" Honestly,I think it will totally bomb....and Star Wars fans are very serious over this franchise, so if they don't do it exactly how they want , it won't go very far.Also, the budget must cost a hell of a lot. "
Lucas is funding it himself and we know he can afford it.  He's also just going to be the executive producer so he won't be completely in charge.
#25 Posted by AngelFrost (2797 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @AngelFrost said:
" Honestly,I think it will totally bomb....and Star Wars fans are very serious over this franchise, so if they don't do it exactly how they want , it won't go very far.Also, the budget must cost a hell of a lot. "
Lucas is funding it himself and we know he can afford it.  He's also just going to be the executive producer so he won't be completely in charge. "
Oh, well thats good.
I'll definately tune in and watch.

But I hope it doesn't turn into a massive flop like the failed attempted revivals of Sci-Fi classics such as:
Flash Gordon, Bionic Woman and Knight Rider.
#26 Posted by MoonKnightRPG (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#27 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

I worship Star Wars, so I bow down to the movie posters and build giant monuments to the awesomeness of Star Wars. So naturally I will like that show.

#28 Posted by The Psyentist (19124 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my gosh! Boba Fett! <3

@Kurrent
said:

" I'll watch it just because it is Star Wars "
Probably me too...
#29 Posted by MadLucied (35 posts) - - Show Bio

From my understanding they tried a Star Wars tv series way back when, but it was a terrible flop, and Lucas wants to forget it ever exsisted (I think. Anyone know for sure?).


As for this, from what i read a few months ago on wikipedia, (And from what i remember) it's suppose to be mainly about smugglers, bounty hunters, i THINK the hutts, and so on and so forth. Granted, this was a few months i read all of this, and this was Wikipedia, so I'm not really sure how accurate my info. on the subject would be.

As far as me looking forward to, with anything, so long as it's done right, I will watch it and like it.
#30 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:


I will start off by saying that I am a huge Star Wars fan.  There has been talk of a Star Wars live-action tv series for a little while.  Today,  Sci Fi Wire has posted that their Australian sister site has reported that preproduction has begun.  The show is set to be shot in Australia and debut in 2010.  It has been reported that it will take place in between Episodes III and IV.

Is this a good thing?  The basic consensus is the newer trilogy (Episodes I-III) were not as good as the original trilogy.  There has also been reports that there will not be any major existing characters present, including Jedi or Sith.  What's the point then?  Apparently the Empire will be on the rise but the Emperor himself won't be seen.

According to Slash Film, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that the great Boba Fett would be "an instrumental part" of the series.  Okay, now I'm starting to get excited.  But how does this fit with the "no major existing characters" ideal?  The other sort of good news is the show has been described as " Deadwood meets The Sopranos in space."  That sounds weird but interesting.  Hopefully the show won't be watered down for "the kids" yet not be over the top and go against what the franchise has stood for.

What would you like to see in the series?  With the success of Battlestar Galactica, do you think a Star Wars tv show could work?  Would you be interested in a sci-fi tv series set in the Star Wars universe?  What minor characters would you like to see explored in this time period?  Is there any hope that this will redeem the franchise and bring it back to greatness? "

This info has been out since 07 but I believe it'll work well.
#31 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
"Bobba Fett as a main character? Badass"

I thought you said he was the most overrated Character ever?
#32 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lantern Prime said:
" @Gambler said:
"Bobba Fett as a main character? Badass"
I thought you said he was the most overrated Character ever? "
He is.
#33 Posted by DarthBryan (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The discussion groups about this show prove my theory that Star Wars "fans" will never be happy.  So now you all are upset that there won't be any major characters in it.  Who do you want?  Apparently you all hated the cast of the prequels, so you wouldn't have been happy if they had cast Hayden and Ewan, etc.  You honestly can't expect the cast of the originals to be in it given that this takes place between the trilogies and those iconic characters can NOT be recast.  So what does that leave?  A new cast, but yet that isnt' good enough for you either.  LOL...amazing.  I for one am as excited about this series as I was the release of every movie since 1977.  Can't wait!  Boba Fett?  Awesome.  New characters?  Awesome too!  Cameos from some of the prequel cast?  Excellent! Bring it on....personally I'd like to see an all Star Wars channel.  Just think of it...all 8 movies playing from time to time (yes I'm counting the Ewok movies), interspersed with Clone Wars, the live action show, Droids and Ewoks cartoons, "making of" specials....ah, bliss!  Long live Star Wars!!!!

#34 Posted by Chaos Agent (2150 posts) - - Show Bio

The Jedi purge, the training of Obi-wan and other things would work as kickass stories

#35 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet.

#36 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish George and everyone else would just realize that Jedi Vs Sith is what Star Wars is all about.Don't get me wrong I love the other characters especially R2 but just think for a second what was your favorite part of any Star Wars film? was it a Jedi vs a Sith?

Yes, yes it was.Good Day!

#37 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
"@Lantern Prime said:
" @Gambler said:
"Bobba Fett as a main character? Badass"
I thought you said he was the most overrated Character ever? "
He is."

Y is he to u?
#38 Posted by White Mage (18751 posts) - - Show Bio

If they don't have Jedi, I'm not watching it.

#39 Posted by YONY (29 posts) - - Show Bio

George Lucas has been fucking up the star wars saga (and Indy) so i dont know if i should get exited, if it is good i hope they put more of Han & Chewy 

#40 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

even though im a huge fan of the fetts, i highly doubt the series will be good, to me a movie series like star wars should stay on the big screen with high production values if they turn it into a tv series the graphics which star wars has always relied heavily on would take a massive hit and we'd be forced to see the standard tv special effects that do more damage than good.

#41 Posted by Shanana (53466 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not approve of this lol

Online
#42 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see a distant future of star wars

The past has been done (Knights of the Old Republic) and how much more stuff can they cherry pick out in between epidsode 3 and 4?!!!! There is a game for that as well (the Force Unleasehed a.k.a Star Killer)

#43 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm the biggest star wars freak there is...SO going to watch this.

#44 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1741 posts) - - Show Bio

LIVE ACTION,AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! Please not Justin Timberlake!

#45 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6216 posts) - - Show Bio

Put  a Jawa VS Ugnaught VS Ewok slapfight in it and I'll be happy!

#46 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything else on TV sucks. They'd just shrink it down to the common level of crap & suck the life out of it.

#47 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6216 posts) - - Show Bio

I was aware of Boba being the shows main character for years... but had lost faith the show would ever happen... glad it is still a possibility!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.