Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Haunted Tank

Howard Chaykin is an artist I've never really appreciated. He's extremely talented, but his style is not my cup of tea. That being said, I loved his art on the Haunted Tank portion of this book. There is so much great detail in to everything here, and the Haunted Tank looks super awesome. There's an immense amount of detail here, right down to the rivets.

Haunted Tank is back! I'm so happy! I loved the Vertigo run from a few years back, and I've been patiently waiting the return of this character, and we finally have it. The story was incredibly fun, and it put a big dumb smile on my face.

The issue is action packed and filled with the Haunted Tank rolling over cars, zapping people, causing havoc wherever it goes.

Unknown Soldier

The Unknown Soldier gets himself into some trouble as he tries to uncover who is recent attacks. He seems to get closer and closer to what happened. There are some great action sequences in this issue, including one fantastically drawn splash page by Staz Johnson. Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray always to a great job with this book. I love how they've revamped this character for the New 52 Era. I just wish other people felt the same way.

I really enjoyed Staz's art here. He draws acts of violence extremely well, from smashing someone's face in with the palm of your hand to jamming a pistol literally down someone's throat.

The Bad

Haunted Tank

While I really enjoyed Chaykin's art here, I am not a big fan of how he draws faces. The jaws are a bit too chiseled for my liking. This is preference more than anything else, since his art is extremely solid throughout the issue.

Unknown Soldier

I wish this was its own on-going series. Each chapter is too short. I want more.

The Verdict

My biggest complaint about this series is that it's going to be cancelled come issue 7. This has been a fantastic series, especially Unknown Soldier, and I hate the fact it's going away. This book had 4 issues before DC threw in the towel. DC didn't give it a chance, and more importantly, I don't think comic book readers gave this book a chance, and that's a shame.

Although Haunted Tank and Unknown Soldier are two very different stories, I felt they really worked well here. Chaykin's art and Tomasi's writing bring Haunted Tank into the new DC age, and I couldn't be happier. Gray, Palmiotti, and Johnson do another great job on Unknown Soldier as well. G.I. COMBAT is a modern day war book that gives readers tired of the same old muscles and capes something to truly enjoy.

Overall, I loved this issue, and I highly recommend it, even though it's going to be cancelled in two issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.