Free Comic Book Day Recommendations

Posted by inferiorego (21102 posts) - - Show Bio
 First Saturday of May
I got my hands on some FCBD issues and read through them at an alarming rate. It's hard to put down a free comic. Anyway, comic books store across the country are giving away free comics (they do it every year on the first Saturday of May), so you should head into your local store and pick a few up. But before you do, maybe check out my suggestions. Hopefully, you haven't just read the first sentence, hopped in your car, and sped towards your local shop, leaving the rest of this article open in your browser, and sadly unread. Anyway, let's get down to brass tax. Here's a few books I enjoyed, and recommend, for 20 or so books I picked up.

War of the Supermen #0

Supes has been stuck on New Krypton for quite some time: A year actually.  War of the Supermen #1 hits shelves this month and this 0 issue does a great job at not only catching the reader up on everything that's going on, but it brings the conflict between Kal-El and Zod to a boiling point and completely sets up issue 1. Is this something you need to continue reading War of the Supermen? Not too sure. But it's free, and at the top of my list for my favorites.

Artifacts #0

I'm slowly being sucked into the Top Cow Universe, and this issue really helped me to understand what their upcoming book, Artifacts, is going to be about. I now understand what these 13 artifacts, that could end the universe if they were brought together, are, and I now know who has them in their possession. I think this is going to be a highly entertaining mini-series, and this book will get you caught up and prepared for this July, when Artifacts begins.

Toy Story: FCBD

You know I can't pass up a Toy Story freebie. Contrary to the first two books I recommended, this book is a self-contained story, with a cliff-hanger ending, that will be continued in the monthly series by Boom! Studios. This was a great story for kids, and kids at heart, with a little bit of Buzz Lightyear action. If you're a Toy Story or Boom! Studios fan, definitely pick this one up.

Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock FCBD

Archaia offers two books for the price of one! (that price being free) The first is a Mouse Guard: Spring 1153 story, and like the rest of the Mouse Guard stuff, it was excellent. Everything about the story was really solid. However, if you flip the book over, you get two short Fraggle Rock stories. Much like release of the full Fraggle Rock issue this past Wednesday, both the stories are in keeping with the original show, they're light-hearted, and a lot of fun to read. Plus, there's a story involving Dozers, and I think I've gone a little Dozer crazy recently.

Anyways, most comic book stores, at least the ones I know, only let you pick up two books, and out of my four favorites from this year's Free Comic Book Day, I'd highly recommend Artifacts #0 and the Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock Split. Artifacts is setting up what I think will be a great storyline, and the Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock split was just a lot of fun. Enjoy Free Comic Book Day guys!

~Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, comic store employee, and has an ego that is indeed in fact inferior.~
Staff
#1 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

i just got 

War of the supermen 
Iron Man/Thor 
Iron Man/ Nova 
DC Kids (lol it had Wonder woman on it) 
World of Aspen 
and Lady Gaga Comic (lol what a crap)
#2 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man/Thor?

#3 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio
@timrothsays:
yes :)
#4 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I got War of Supermen, Iron Man/Nova, and Iron Man/Thor.  

War of Supermen is fantastic. Great catch-up book and story progresser....I'm now interested in grabbing War of Supermen. 

The other two? Meh.

#5 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14399 posts) - - Show Bio

i had the choice between iron man 2 and free comics so i saw film , but now i regret not getting some free comics lol " not because i didnt like film thou"

#6 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Our store let us pick out three books!  I was very happy. 

I grabbed: 

• Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock double feature one-shot
  • War of the Supermen #0
  • Green Hornet #1

I was going to pick up the Irredeemable/Incorruptible #1 double feature that they had, but I decided that I really wanted to get into the Green Hornet run that Kevin Smith is doing.  I also grabbed Vol. 1 of Loveless and issues #3-#5 of Criminal: The Sinners. 

Overall, the turnout at the shop for the last three or four hours has been absolutely GREAT!  It was nice to see so many parents bringing in the little ones for FCBD, and the kids were excited as all Hell!
#7 Edited by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

my comic store let us pick 6 books :) so happy about that
#8 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I went to get Artifacts, and it was all gone, so I purchased Firestar instead.

The review was nice and well appreciated, but for those that were lined up outside the comic book store when it opened probably missed out.

#9 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

Man... my free comic book day has been filled with ups and downs. First of all on the way there my sunroof was open and a bird crapped on my face! So I had to stop in at Dunkin Donuts and clean my face in the bathroom. Then I get there and they are out of War of the Supermen :( But I grabbed a few books: Iron Man/Thor, Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock, Spiderman: Grim Hunt, Irredeemable/Incorruptable, and Invincible Iron Man #1. That was pretty much all they had. But the awesome thing was they had the GL promo rings from Blackest Night and I got the Indigo, Sinestro Corps., Green Lantern, and Red Lantern rings. My store was also doing a one dollar grab bag with 5 comics in each, limit three per customer, so I grabbed three of those and got some cool stuff for only 3 bucks. Now I'm trying to get a ride to another shop to pick up a copy of War of the Supermen...

#10 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Picked up:

Spider-man: Grimm Hunt
Iron Man / Thor
Iron Man / Nova
War of Supermen
Fragile Rock
#11 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theodore said:
" Man... my free comic book day has been filled with ups and downs. First of all on the way there my sunroof was open and a bird crapped on my face! So I had to stop in at Dunkin Donuts and clean my face in the bathroom. Then I get there and they are out of War of the Supermen :( But I grabbed a few books: Iron Man/Thor, Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock, Spiderman: Grim Hunt, Irredeemable/Incorruptable, and Invincible Iron Man #1. That was pretty much all they had. But the awesome thing was they had the GL promo rings from Blackest Night and I got the Indigo, Sinestro Corps., Green Lantern, and Red Lantern rings. My store was also doing a one dollar grab bag with 5 comics in each, limit three per customer, so I grabbed three of those and got some cool stuff for only 3 bucks. Now I'm trying to get a ride to another shop to pick up a copy of War of the Supermen... "
LMAO, LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO
#12 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Theodore said:
" Man... my free comic book day has been filled with ups and downs. First of all on the way there my sunroof was open and a bird crapped on my face! So I had to stop in at Dunkin Donuts and clean my face in the bathroom. Then I get there and they are out of War of the Supermen :( But I grabbed a few books: Iron Man/Thor, Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock, Spiderman: Grim Hunt, Irredeemable/Incorruptable, and Invincible Iron Man #1. That was pretty much all they had. But the awesome thing was they had the GL promo rings from Blackest Night and I got the Indigo, Sinestro Corps., Green Lantern, and Red Lantern rings. My store was also doing a one dollar grab bag with 5 comics in each, limit three per customer, so I grabbed three of those and got some cool stuff for only 3 bucks. Now I'm trying to get a ride to another shop to pick up a copy of War of the Supermen... "
LMAO, LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO "
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
#13 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: It was pretty rough, f*cking birds!
#14 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theodore: when I was a little kid...me and my family went to Virgina beach and I was feeding the seagulls pizza crust off the balcony of the hotel room and one crapped on me so I know how you feel
#15 Posted by Icon (2050 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh! I want the Mouse Guard book with the Fraggle Rock stories. That sounds awesome. I loved Fraggle Rock as a kid. 

#16 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman n Iron Man/Thor comic was nice the rest were okay but I GOT THEM ALL CAUSE ITS FREE but I'm there was no Spidey or X-Men this year

#17 Posted by comicnerdy (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I got Iron Man/ Thor, Iron Man/ Nova, and DC Kids. Plus, a free little figure of War Machine. 
#18 Posted by ninjadude853 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

Artifacts is my favorite,

it has sucked me into top cow

i've read literally three top cow comics before today

#19 Edited by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Only had the choice between Gi-joe & doctor solar-magus  :( Oh well it free.

Edit: I actually liked GI Joe the abiance at the cobra base is awesome.

#20 Posted by NightFang (9811 posts) - - Show Bio

I got.... 
1. War of the Supermen 
2. Artifacts 
3. G.I.Joe 
4. The Green Hornet 
5.The Tick  

and

6. Archie 

#21 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Doctor Solar and Magnus the Robot Fighter...dumb. Steer clear.

#22 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got back spent like 30 Bucks on dollar comics.
But I picked up :
Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock,
 Simpsons,
 Iron Man / Nova,
 And War of The Supermen 0.

#23 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Atomic Robo was the best I've read of the ones I picked up

1. Iron Man/Thor
  2. Artifacts
  3. Atomic Robo
  4. War of the Supermen
  5. Incorruptable
Than my brother gave me his because he didn't want them

which gave me 4 more comics lol.
#24 Edited by Harlekin (680 posts) - - Show Bio

ATOMIC ROBO!!!

I got 1 of each and the heroclix.

#25 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm comic store only allowed me to get one comic...So I got Iron Man/Thor.

#26 Edited by War Killer (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

I got:

Iron Man/Thor - (fun story, you get to see how Tony and Thor's friendship is slowly being patched up, and for those who liked Tony's new armor from Invincible Iron Man #25, you'll want to pick this up. Art's pretty decent as well, kind of a preview for what's in store for  Avengers #1 that comes out later this month)

Iron Man/ Nova - (Good story, fun little team up)

War of the Supermen - (Haven't been keeping up with Superman, but hey it was free xD The story does seem interesting though.)

Justice League Unlimited -  (I, like many others, loved this TV show, yes this book is for younger readers, but it's still a fun read for all)

#27 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

oh that sucks just found out now ah well

#28 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Harlekin said:
" ATOMIC ROBO!!!  I got 1 of each and the heroclix. "
Hell yes.
#29 Posted by SuperGamera (565 posts) - - Show Bio

my store only let me have 2
#30 Posted by emerald_lamp_2814 (630 posts) - - Show Bio

my comic shop let us get 5 FCBD comics and a bunch of older comics the older ones were free but you could only get a 100

#31 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

My niece & I went this morning & each got 5.  (The books were a mix of this years & older ones.) I was a little disappointed there were no Avengers or X-Men titles this year.
Her picks: 
Puppy Sister/Lady Gaga
DC Kids
Knights of the Old Republic/S.W. Rebellion
And 2 others she deemed as dumb that were left at Sonics during lunch. 

My picks:
Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock
Iron Man/Thor
Fractured Fables
New Mutants Saga
Iron Man/Nova

#32 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm saddened to see that so few grabbed Mouse Guard.  =  (

#33 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

1.the silver surfer 
2.the invincible iron man 
3.captain america 
4.detective comics featuring batman
#34 Posted by ateygheyev (93 posts) - - Show Bio

1. War of Supermen 
2. Incorruptible/Irredeemable
3. Radical Sampler
4. Ironman/ Nova
5.Doctor Solar/ Magnus Robot Fighter
6. Artifacts
7. The Sixth Gun
8. Secret Agent Corrigan

#35 Posted by brucebanner (27 posts) - - Show Bio

i grabbed the ironman/thor and Iron Man/Nova, wel, my dad grabbed the IM/Nova one, he grabbeda another i jsut dont remember
#36 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

Got some free stuff from two stores but I was hoping to get some really good deals on books. I don't really buy single issues anymore and look more at trades to buy. Amazon typically has the best deal but there are times when I will catch some stuff on sale. Didn't really see any major sales at all which sucked. It gets harder and harder to support LCBS with the economy and just lack of really offering a better price.

#37 Posted by Pando (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I grabbed -
The Losers 
Chew 
Hush  
Green Hornet  
GI Joe 
Was pretty surprised at the 5 per customer at my comic store but I ain't complaining.

#38 Edited by Spotter (16 posts) - - Show Bio

War of the Supermen was my favorite, but I could only get three. So I got: 
War of the Supermen 
Green Hornet 
Iron Man/Thor

#39 Posted by danielddavis (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet, shame I couldn't do it this year.

#40 Edited by Da Talking Beaver (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the store I always go to for FCBD is just plain awesome. You can have 1 copy of each book that they have & they get almost entire line of FCBD. Plus, they had a sale on back issues. The price per comic: 25 cents. So, I walked out of the store with a pretty nice haul. :)

#41 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not participate in free comic book day whatsoever. >_>

#42 Posted by darkxman123 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

couldent get to my comic shop so peved 

#43 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

The store I went to only offered one comic per person hand I had no money to buy a comic so that I could get more. My dad was with me so he grabbed one for me too. We got War of the Supermen #0 and Iron Man: Supernova.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.