Follow

Frankie Raye

Character » Frankie Raye appears in 248 issues.

Frankie Raye was a young girl accidentally given the powers of the android Human Torch, which inspired her to volunteer to be a herald of Galactus.

One of the few characters to be permanently killed

BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BatDance

Morg killed her off in the 90s and then he dies (Nulified)

I didn't see any mention of her in Annihilation

Is she gone for good?

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

No one is ever gone for good
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " No one is ever gone for good "
    True.  Even Thunderbird has come back from the dead... And he was the one X-Man who seemed guaranteed never to come back.
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "No one is ever gone for good "
    Tell that to Uncle Ben, the Wayne's, and Gwen Stacy. =P
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Precise
    @MysterioMaximus: Uncle Ben was revived for 5 minutes by Dr. Strange for Spider-Man :p
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By joshmightbe

it appeared that nova was revived once but it turned out to be an elaborate scheeme by mephisto to try to get silver surfers soul
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Precise said:

" @MysterioMaximus: Uncle Ben was revived for 5 minutes by Dr. Strange for Spider-Man :p "

Oh I know, Gwen was cloned too. And there have been numerous flashbacks, visions, delusions, nightmares, and villain ploys and tricks in which they've all been "brought back"...but can you really say they're actually brought back? I don't truly think so, not in the sense of say Bucky Barnes or Jason Todd, characters once though untouchably dead.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Precise
    @MysterioMaximus: Ow no, you're completely correct there if you meant truly bringing them back =)
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Precise said:
    " @MysterioMaximus: Ow no, you're completely correct there if you meant truly bringing them back =) "
    You know, I actually really liked that Dr. Strange/Spider-Man issue. I want to say thats the Happy Birthday arch, right? That was great! Nice tribute to the history of the web-slinger. =]
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@MysterioMaximus said:

" @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:

Tell that to Uncle Ben, the Wayne's, and Gwen Stacy. =P "
    im glad you said this. theres a good reason they stay dead too. because its integral
    to who the core character (Spider-Man, Batman) is that they stay that way. its a driving
    factor for those characters. the same is supposed to be true of Frankie Raye for Surfer,
    but, i feel that she sort of took the place of Shalla-Bal, who readers couldnt connect with
    since she really wasnt shown. i also feel that i wouldnt mind if they brought Frankie Raye back, 
    because her death really didnt seem to hold much to the Surfer character.
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Precise
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " @Precise said:
    " @MysterioMaximus: Ow no, you're completely correct there if you meant truly bringing them back =) "
    You know, I actually really liked that Dr. Strange/Spider-Man issue. I want to say thats the Happy Birthday arch, right? That was great! Nice tribute to the history of the web-slinger. =] "
    Yup, that was the Happy Birthday arch. Best birthday present ever and really good story =)
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I've been wanting her to come back for a long time. She and the Surfer had a great relationship, much better than the one with Shalla. At the time, it meant a great deal to the Surfer that she was killed, but it didn't hold with the Surfer like CATMANEXE said. She hasn't been mentioned in a long time. Hell, even Galactus almost cared for her a little bit until she started lying to him. 

My fantasy involves her coming back in a Silver Surfer ongoing title. Then he breaks free of service once again from Galactus and they travel the universe together, much like they had planned before she was killed by Morg. But, this is probably not even a long shot....

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @MysterioMaximus said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    Tell that to Uncle Ben, the Wayne's, and Gwen Stacy. =P "
    im glad you said this. theres a good reason they stay dead too. because its integral to who the core character (Spider-Man, Batman) is that they stay that way. its a driving factor for those characters. the same is supposed to be true of Frankie Raye for Surfer, vut, i feel that she sort of took the place of Shalla-Bal, who readers couldnt connect with since she really wasnt shown. i also feel that i wouldnt mind if they brought Frankie Raye back,  because her death really didnt seem to hold much to the Surfer character. "

Oh absolutely. Their deaths became something more. Jean Grey’s constant kicking the bucket affected Cyclops, for example, but not in the same sense as say Uncle Ben or Thomas and Martha Wayne to Spider-Man and Batman. Scott Summers was already an acting hero, fighting the good fight. Nothing was literally given to Cyclops, everything was taken away. But without Uncle Bens passing, Spider-Man would probably been something more so the equivalent of Booster Gold – superhero celebrity. Peter was out for quick cash in off these abilities. He’d lack a grasp on that “with great power comes great responsibility” catchphrase. Through tragedy came inspiration and duty. When you take that away and truly revive someone like Ben…you kill Peter. Almost all their stories really are just extensions of that origin. In many ways I’m still bothered by them bringing Bucky and Jason back as they were so much more in death than they ever were in life IMO. They gave so much more depth through torment to Batman and Steve Rogers. We’ve had a lot of Gwen Stacy revival threats, but in the end she’s stayed six feet under. Sometimes writers forget that characters die because, though it takes away that caricatures future, an epic or tragic finale adds so much more to the endurance and memory of the character and book then a cheap reincarnation ever will. Through death, they find life, if you get my meaning. Everyone would remember the "Death in the Family" arch, it would be one of the biggest events in Batman history, ...if Todd stayed dead. Now it doesn't have the same impact. I understand the cliffhanger “no body is found” cliché. I also grasp that some characters you just cannot keep deceased and continue the comic title indefinitely, someone like Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker themselves simply cannot permanently die. It’s just they forget the artistry and real point behind killing off a character sometimes. In my world, Norman Osborne has been long dead. A characters death leaves a watermark on the history of an almost immortal franchise like some from the superhero genre are. An amazing last hurrah will always stay with fans more then over welcoming your stay and growing stale.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.