• 62 results
#1 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is a discussion thread dedicated to the discussion of Zenescope's Jungle Book series. Come here if you would like to talk about the series. What you think about it? What you liked and what you didn't like? It's all a full round and open discussion. So have fun viners.

#2 Edited by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz Inviting the local resident GFT Jungle Book expert to the thread. ^_^

What did you like about the series the most?

#3 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not digging the second series quite as much. It is ok, I wish they would use Akili in a better way.

#4 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Is it the psuedo-love triangle going on between Mowgli, Akili, and Tobaqui? That has kind of disturbed me a little, because of the undertones I picked up from it. Either that or I just have a dirty mind :P

#5 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazzStill Akili is my favorite character in the series. She just seems more full of life than the others. What did you think of the Baloo back up?

#8 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: She is good, I thought the second series might do for her what the first did for Mowgli, and it has to a degree but still not much. Baloo is fun.

#9 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Even with the implied beastiality undertones between Akili and Tobaqui, I have to admit from the perspective of the characters and how they have lived their lives up to this point in the series. It does make sense that perhaps one of them might have feelings for one of their animal friends. It would make sense for Akili in a way because she seems to be more integrated with her tribe than the rest of them.

#10 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: That is true, though don't you find her emotional involvement is more maternal?

#11 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Over all for tribe Tavi, I would definitely say her emotional involvement is maternal in nature. I would go as far to say she is that way for all things she considers to be "small". Like with the young elephant whose name I can't seem to recall right now, and at sometimes even with Mowgli. It would seem though with Tobaqui that emotional attachment goes beyond maternal. How far beyond though could be different between both Akili and Tobaqui. With Tobaqui I would say goes probably a little farther than it should as it was sort of implied in the dialogue exchange between Mowgli and Tobaqui. With Akili it seems more like the emotional attachment she shares with the Jackal is closer to that of a beloved sibling or childhood friend.

#12 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Yes that is all true, in light of all of that it should be interesting to see what happens with the reintroduction of Shere Khan.

#13 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: It will be interesting, and it's sort of sad to see how Bomani is being treated in the face of all this. He turned from the kid who tried to protect the others when they first appeared on the island, to a mockery of Shere Tribe, and now he's a cocaine addict. What I found interesting is when they were in the cave and before they ran back into Shere Khan they ran into a set of several eyes. I'm willing to bet that's the Bada Dar (Bear tribe), because it would make sense considering the backup story they did with Baloo, and the whole "Last of the Species" approach.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Oh yes good point, I forgot about those as soon as Shere Khan showed up.

#15 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I had a feeling since the end of the last book that they wouldn't kill off Shere Kahn right away. It was pretty vague about how it was done. What did you think of they tiger's hit list? Remember the rock they had with drawings of various different animals on it, and ones they had killed were scratched off? I found it odd that there had been Lion's on the island at one point in time.

#16 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Oh yeah I blogged about the location of the island, I was curious as to how so many creatures could exist in one place.

#17 Edited by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Oh oh, it's magic! ya know! :P

What's your opinion on the two boys? Bomani and the other one whose name I can't remember right now?

#18 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Yes its magic, but I am trying to see if it fits into the GFT universe at all, though it would work fine as a standalone.

Like most GFT properties they seem to put more effort into the female characters I think. The male characters are less filled out.

#19 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I have a feeling that they had no intention of really fitting this into the GFT universe, because as you said it seems more like a standalone. I would imagine though that Zenescope would find some way to integrate it. The question is how exactly? What are the likes of Mowgli and Akili going to do against someone like Belinda or any of the Wonderland cast?

#20 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I am not sure, though they put Calie Liddle into the GFT universe and she doesnt fit very well (not yet anyway)

#21 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Well for the jungle kids I think it would be even harder to integrate them. Are there any plans for the series to continue after last of the species?

#22 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I am not sure, it is a decent franchise though. Better than Salem's Daughter for instance. And they keep churning out more things like Robyn Hood. I think there is supposed to be an Oz story soon as well

#23 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I saw the advertisement for the Oz story. It looked interesting, and I may just pick it up. Are you going to?

#24 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I pick up 100% of all GFT stuff and most of Zenescope in general :)

#25 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Right though, we're getting a little off topic here. What would you like to see happen in the remaining two issues? I think it's two more issues anyway.

#26 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Its two more, I am not sure. The first series was about the consuming nature of revenge. I think something here will have to do with forgiveness.

#27 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I'm not so sure. I feel more like "Last of the Species" is tackling the subject of loneliness.

#28 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Really? it gives off a redemption or forgiveness vibe to me.

#29 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I get that from how it first starts off, with Baloo and his approach to Mowgli about how she doesn't ever want to know what it's truly like to be the last of one's kind. It approaches Bomani from the aspect that despite being leader of the Shere, he is still alienated. Monkey-boy, is obviously attracted to Mowgli, but is so far mentally gone that he doesn't really understand what his feelings are. Akili, who is the least lonely of the group, is very much attached to tribe Tavi, and her desperation in finding both Mowgli and Tobaqui is a struggle against the possibility of loneliness. There are other examples, but for me it seems like every character is exhibiting the aspect of the struggle against being alone.

#30 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: That is a good point, I guess I am looking for something more positive from the resolution though

#31 Edited by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Well looking for the positive in things is a gift I think. On the other hand, being a person who particularly enjoys tragic elements and seeing how it motivates characters into action, perhaps that is why I picked up on the "Loneliness" factor? I'm curious how you picked up what you did?

#32 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Because Shere did not just eat Mowgli would be the main reason.

#33 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Well technically he hasn't had the chance yet has he? I mean the whole cliffhanger aspect of "Oh my God, Shere Kahn is alive, stay tuned for the next issue to find out what happens!" sort of applies there doesn't it?

#34 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I am not sure if he will other than a token battle for a bit of action.

#35 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Well personally I like you're idea better. Sure Kahn hates Mowgli, but maybe considering his current predicament he wouldn't see the point in fighting?

#36 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I think that is where this is going, to an uneasy truce.

#37 Edited by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz How do you think this will resolve for the girls and boys?

#38 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I haven't yet. Didn't pick up new comics today. Will be doing that tomorrow.

#40 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I finally got around to reading this one, and I have to say with this one I wasn't as impressed. Normally I don't pay a whole lot of attention to art, but the art in the latest issue was pretty horrendous. It's redeeming factor though, was the horror element, but over all it really felt like a filler and didn't advance the plot in any way in my opinion.

#42 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: Really? I thought it was finally starting to come around with this issue.

#43 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I already felt like the series was very solid. It is by no means a perfect series, but it stood on it's own as a shining example against the stereotypes that are normally placed on Zenescope books. My biggest problem with this issue was the art, because it looked very sloppy, plus I didn't like all the cliffhangers. This issue made this series feel like what should have been a four issue series is being forcefully stretched out to five. Plus I had predicted that the other inhabitants of the cave had been the Bada Dar, and I guess since I predicted it, that I wasn't as impressed with the literary direction that was taken. The final issue should be coming up soon though; possibly within the next couple of weeks.

What did you like so much about this issue?

#44 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: It just felt like the underlying drive behind the characters finally came together. In the first couple of issues, it just seemed like they were messing around without much focus, but I can see the characters better now.

#45 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I think that had a lot to do with the fact that the conflict and character goals were not really established till about the third issue.

#46 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: True, though they were apparent almost immediately in the first series. Sequels are almost never as good though.

#47 Posted by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: I agree, this series doesn't really have as much of a drive as the first did. What do you believe the initial reason behind the creation of last of the species?

#48 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I am not sure, I think probably they were really happy with the first series and wanted to continue the story. I wonder if Mowgli is going to get rolled into the main GFT universe like all the others have been

#49 Edited by Delphic (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz: Do you not think they would bring the entire cast, or at least Akili? Also, how exactly do you think they would fit into the GFT Universe. Isn't it a lot more "modern"?

#50 Edited by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio

@delphic: I am not sure, probably the same way that Robyn Hood fits in.