#1 Posted by darthphoenix (640 posts) - - Show Bio

why do students at the jean grey school look like freaks? they look like murlocks

scott's students are more human-like.

who are the top 5 most powerful students from both schools?

#2 Posted by phisigmatau (463 posts) - - Show Bio

why do students at the jean grey school look like freaks? they look like murlocks

ahahahahhahahhhhhhahh

#3 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (781 posts) - - Show Bio

They look that way because Aaron decided to take a page of Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men and do mutants that can't pass for human. It's just a design choice.

From Scott's side I'd have to say:

1. Tempus
  2. Teen Jean Grey
  3. Benjamin Deeds
  4. Christopher Muse
  5. The Stepford Cuckoos

From Logan's side I'd go with:

1. Genesis
  2. Quentin Quire
  3. Krakoa
  4. Pixie
  5. Bling!
#4 Posted by adamTRMM (1205 posts) - - Show Bio

The only new character I dig is Goldballs lol And maybe Genesis

Actually, Kid Gladiator as a potential X-men is the ONLY good thing from the whole WatXM run.

#5 Edited by darthphoenix (640 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: and kid gladiator is an alien. I love him though. he should be in a future team with quentin

#6 Posted by HAWK2916 (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as the X-students go, i personally am largely disappointed with what we are getting and whats recently been featured. WATX seems like the damn twilight zone with all these weird and ridiculous characters. Even Kid Gladiator is kind of silly. Seeing some of what been created in that book makes me feel like Wanda did the right thing and should do it again with House of M. I think some of Bendis' new characters like Goldballs is a terrible concept as well as Triage and a knockoff wannabe Mystique.

These are the students I like or enjoy reading about:

Pixie

Hellion

Surge

X-23

Dust

Mercury

Cipher

Bling!

Idie

Armor

Blindfold

Gentle

Trance

Hope

Loa (when she was there)

Elixir

Cuckoos

Tempus

Hijack

Match

Quentin Quire (though I really dont like him)

Anole ( not a favorite)

Rockslide (dont like him either)

Wind Dancer (loved her though she's depowered now)

The rest can go imo.

#7 Edited by adamTRMM (1205 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthphoenix:

Not a bad a idea, acknowledging X-men history with Shi'ar, for the worst X-writer :) I like that alien, potentially Gladiator-level flying brick, hangs with the X's, they never actually had a 'Superman' of their own. Anyways, too many interesting and powerful x-kids are in the JGS, some should reconsider their transfer to NXS :)

#8 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

They look like mutants because they are mutants. I wish all mutants were notably odd like that. It makes more thematic sense to distinguish mutants from "ordinary" supers and inhumans by making them more grotesque. If I were rebooting the X-Men you wouldn't find any steamy supermodel dudes or babes and nobody would read the book.

My most powerful five, any order:

Hijack would be a close sixth choice depending on what he takes control of.

#9 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32133 posts) - - Show Bio

eh isn't this exactly what the x-men are against

#10 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

@darthphoenix said:

They look like mutants because they are mutants. I wish all mutants were notably odd like that. It makes more thematic sense to distinguish mutants from "ordinary" supers and inhumans by making them more grotesque. If I were rebooting the X-Men you wouldn't find any steamy supermodel dudes or babes and nobody would read the book.

I will never understand why people think the X-Men and mutants in general would seem more at home of if they were all deformed. Never in X-Mens history outside of the Morrison stuff is it suggested that mutants are deformed except for rarities like the Morlocks and several other mutants, but that completely fits the dichotomy of the mutants. A character like Blob is more prone to be an evil mutant because of the way people treated him growing up, because he was a visible freak, thats also why Nightcrawler is such a great character.

I mean in real life there are ugly people and good looking people. Mutants were never suggested people anything else but humans with super powers.

#11 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4180 posts) - - Show Bio

I will never understand why people think the X-Men and mutants in general would seem more at home of if they were all deformed. Never in X-Mens history outside of the Morrison stuff is it suggested that mutants are deformed except for rarities like the Morlocks and several other mutants, but that completely fits the dichotomy of the mutants. A character like Blob is more prone to be an evil mutant because of the way people treated him growing up, because he was a visible freak, thats also why Nightcrawler is such a great character.

I mean in real life there are ugly people and good looking people. Mutants were never suggested people anything else but humans with super powers.

I think it's interesting that you use the Morlocks as an example, because, before they were wiped out, the existence of the Morlock society seemed to imply that actually most mutants were freaks.

You've already given good examples with Nightcrawler and Blob, and of the original X-men, at least Angel and Beast seem like they could qualify. I mean, of the X-men, certainly most could pass as baseline humans, but if you look to their rogue's gallery, or even just the hundreds of Morlocks that lived in the tunnels, it does make it seem like they were actually the minority of most mutants.

#12 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I think it's interesting that you use the Morlocks as an example, because, before they were wiped out, the existence of the Morlock society seemed to imply that actually most mutants were freaks.

You've already given good examples with Nightcrawler and Blob, and of the original X-men, at least Angel and Beast seem like they could qualify. I mean, of the X-men, certainly most could pass as baseline humans, but if you look to their rogue's gallery, or even just the hundreds of Morlocks that lived in the tunnels, it does make it seem like they were actually the minority of most mutants.

I don't recall how many Morlocks there actually were, but if their whole society was wiped out by several Marauders, I wouldn't bet there was a whole lot. Its also worth noting that there was just some really ugly humans living with the Morlocks as well, actually, I think at first, Callisto was supposed to be just a normal, deformed, girl

Most of their rogues gallery did pass for normal looking, nobody even knew most of the Hellfire Club were mutants, Magneto, Almost all of the Acolytes, Most members of the Brotherhood, Most Neo, Most Marauders etc. Basically, mutants, for the most part are normal looking humans with super powers and I was never really given the impression otherwise until Grant Morrisons run.

#13 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4180 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't recall how many Morlocks there actually were, but if their whole society was wiped out by several Marauders, I wouldn't bet there was a whole lot. Its also worth noting that there was just some really ugly humans living with the Morlocks as well, actually, I think at first, Callisto was supposed to be just a normal, deformed, girl

I think you might be right about a lot of the Morlocks actually being baseline humans, but it was still always my impression that the Morlocks alone well outnumbered all of the other mutants who had been introduced up until then. In several issues we see large crowds of what looks like hundreds of Morlocks, compared to the what? two or three dozen that had been introduced by 1983?

We may know now that there were many more mutants worldwide now, but it wasn't until 1988 that they introduced Genosha, and even there they made it seem like many mutants wouldn't have passed as normal anyway.

#14 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you might be right about a lot of the Morlocks actually being baseline humans, but it was still always my impression that the Morlocks alone well outnumbered all of the other mutants who had been introduced up until then. In several issues we see large crowds of what looks like hundreds of Morlocks, compared to the what? two or three dozen that had been introduced by 1983?

We may know now that there were many more mutants worldwide now, but it wasn't until 1988 that they introduced Genosha, and even there they made it seem like many mutants wouldn't have passed as normal anyway.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it was stated a lot of Morlocks had their face purposely deformed by Masque in defiance of the human society that rejected them. So maybe they weren't the most shining example to use.

So yeah, I just always thought for the most part, mutants are basically humans with super powers except for a number of them that are deformed...but there is also a large number of deformed normal people living in the world too. So, as I said, I never understood why people would question the reason why mutants are good looking people. Mutants are humans with super powers. Sometimes there super powers makes them look different. The end.

#15 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4180 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah, I forgot, it was stated a lot of Morlocks had their face purposely deformed by Masque in defiance of the human society that rejected them. So maybe they weren't the most shining example to use.

ooh, good point, I had totally forgot about that.

So yeah, I just always thought for the most part, mutants are basically humans with super powers except for a number of them that are deformed...but there is also a large number of deformed normal people living in the world too. So, as I said, I never understood why people would question the reason why mutants are good looking people. Mutants are humans with super powers. Sometimes there super powers makes them look different. The end.

alright, sure.

#16 Edited by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:
@fodigg said:

@darthphoenix said:

The outcast and dangerous aspect of mutants thematically makes them more like morlocks, except it's rolled around with smatterings of the "uber-man" archetype as well so people are supposed to fear them for one or the other, but the result is often a guy in cool shades who isn't much different from Captain America and both themes are lost. I think that's a negative. However you do it, mutants should be outcasts.

#17 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (9877 posts) - - Show Bio

Most power from Jean Grey School:

Kid Gladiator

Genesis

Quentin Quire

Gentle

Pixie

Most powerful from New Xavier School:

Jean Grey

Stepford Cuckoos

Tempus

Hijack

Christopher Muse

#18 Posted by darthphoenix (640 posts) - - Show Bio

why arent there deformed or freaklike students in scott's school? I just cant believe that writers would go overboard and have super freak-like mutant with a head of a shark.

#19 Posted by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind that the Jean school has freaks in it. What I hate most about Aaron's mutants is they all have shitty names. Kid this, Kid that Boy this Girl that. It's really lazy naming. This is also the second time someone who had the powers of Apocalypse has been named Genesis. It take ten seconds of research to figure that out. Lazy naming again.

#20 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4180 posts) - - Show Bio

why arent there deformed or freaklike students in scott's school? I just cant believe that writers would go overboard and have super freak-like mutant with a head of a shark.

it's just the same idea as Wolfsbane, but with a shark instead of a wolf.

There's lots of characters who just have the powers of (and/or ability to turn into) animals; there always has been at least some. Toad, Wolfsbane, Shark-girl, Catseye, Anole, Beak, Angel Salvadore, Bird-man.. it's all in the same ballpark.

#21 Edited by Ace_Of_Spades90 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused about Jubilee. Is she an X-Men (I know she used to be). Is she still a student? She's not a teacher, is she? Her role has always been confusing to me. She kind of floats around often.