Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) 9 months, 8 days ago

Poll: X-men in a separate universe? (38 votes)

I like that all of the 616 Marvel characters exist in the same world, enabling the potential for any of them to interact. 42%
I would prefer if the X-men were in their own separate world, and would be more likely to read an Avengers or X-men book in which they were. 34%
I like that they live in the same world, but I would read an Avengers or X-men book in which they didn't. 24%

It seems there are some Avengers and/or X-men fans that think the two teams would be better served by existing in separate universes, that the X-men and their related characters should exist in one reality, and the rest(?) of the MU characters should exist in another.

Though I personally disagree with this sentiment, and enjoy the diversity of stories that can be told because of the shared universe, I could see myself enjoying an Avengers comic just as much if it wasn't set in a world with X-men or vise versa (since, for most of them, it doesn't really matter anyway).

Since both the Avengers and the X-men are both in several monthly series, I wonder if maybe they could try having one Avengers book and one X-men book each set in their own independent world, thus establishing three distinct versions of the MU in which to set stories. Would this be an idea that would interest you guys, or does the idea sound redundant?

Also, if there were separate versions of the Avengers and the X-men, how do you imagine they would be different from the versions that already exist in the shared universe?

#1 Edited by HumanRocket (8080 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer that things stay the way it is.

#2 Edited by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer the that things stay the way it is.

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5868 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they live in the same world, but I wouldn't mind reading books that just have the X-men and the Avengers dealing with their own problems.

#4 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33359 posts) - - Show Bio

um did I just have a seizure or is this a dupe?

#5 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

um did I just have a seizure or is this a dupe?

I have the same poll on the Avengers board, with a different title avengers-separate-from-x-men.

I figured my results would be more accurate if I asked X-men fans and Avengers fans (even though, most people who are a fan of one are probably a fan of the other anyway). This probably means that the results will be slightly different between them and that many people will essentially vote twice. But, given that every book you buy counts as an actual vote, it seems appropriate that fans of both get two votes, since they're more likely supporting both anyway.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they live in the same world, but I wouldn't mind reading books that just have the X-men and the Avengers dealing with their own problems.

I'm sure I would give books like that a chance, just because it could be different.

My main thing is that the books technically already can "just have the X-men and the Avengers dealing with their own problems", which is actually what most of their stories are, even though they exist in the same world.

And, the way things are with the shared universe, they also have the option of not doing that, of having them interact, if that would better suit the story they want to tell. Which, to me, just seems like having the best of both worlds.

#7 Posted by McKlayn (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm, this is the thing.

I dont mind them existing in the same world, i even ENJOY some times seeing spiderman, or Iron man pop up in a X title. HOWEVER i dislike when they take some of my favorite characters and start making them BG characters in the Avenger books, or any other for that matter.

I only have so many $$ and since i grew up with the X men most my favorite characters come from those roots, so i try to buy just about every X title, when they start going outside of the X titles to others, i have to spend more Cash or forget about them. So i kind of wish they would stay together but separate lmao

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them existing together

#9 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

hmmm, this is the thing.

I dont mind them existing in the same world, i even ENJOY some times seeing spiderman, or Iron man pop up in a X title. HOWEVER i dislike when they take some of my favorite characters and start making them BG characters in the Avenger books, or any other for that matter.

That's a good point, but because there's so many X-men characters, most get sporadically delegated to the background even within the X-men books (and the same is true of Avengers). So it sort of just seems like a separate subject to me.

I only have so many $$ and since i grew up with the X men most my favorite characters come from those roots, so i try to buy just about every X title, when they start going outside of the X titles to others, i have to spend more Cash or forget about them. So i kind of wish they would stay together but separate lmao

haha, yeah, I have pretty limited resources myself, so I totally feel that. Because I like X-men and Avengers (and, basically most marvel characters, really), I only follow three Avengers books and three (or four..) X-men books instead of reading all of either. But I'm still happy to have all the options :v

#10 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, it seems to me without the addition of regular superheroes (meaning, humans who gain superpowers as opposed to people born with powers), things would be a lot worse off for mutants. In the current universe, humans have an example of how super powers can be an asset, used for heroic means, through superheroes like the Avengers. And even in this world, the X-Men are still more often than not too busy playing defense to get anything done.

Without the Avengers, people will be even MORE afraid of mutants, because there won't be anyone BUT mutants to stop OTHER mutants. Every time the X-Men would fight Magneto, they'd be betraying their own species, because there's no one else with powers like mutants, no ideals or heroes to strive towards or stand alongside. Humans would retaliate even more viciously because they don't have any heroes of their own to defend them from mutants.

So while it could be interesting, and I'd definitely read a What if? series with that premise, I don't think I'd like on a day to day.

#11 Posted by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they live in the same world, but I would read an Avengers or X-men book in which they didn't.

#12 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutants existing in the same world as superhumans creates a ton of questions. Questions no one really deals with.

Although I am not totally opposed to the heroes existing in the same world, under the right writers pen a lot of good stories can be churned out with all the characters in the same world.

#13 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutants existing in the same world as superhumans creates a ton of questions. Questions no one really deals with.

Although I am not totally opposed to the heroes existing in the same world, under the right writers pen a lot of good stories can be churned out with all the characters in the same world.

That may be true, but if they only existed in separate worlds then no one would even have the option to deal with those questions.

#14 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@emequious_swerve said:

That may be true, but if they only existed in separate worlds then no one would even have the option to deal with those questions.

Sure there would.

If mutants existed in their own world, the government would no doubt take actions in a bid to control them and weaponize them, like Weapon X does. There would also likely be humans weaponizing themselves to combat and hunt mutants. So characters like Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye and other would exist in both realities, they would be kind of different though. I always imagine they would function more like the Ultimates than the actual Avengers.

#15 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

I don't know, it seems to me without the addition of regular superheroes (meaning, humans who gain superpowers as opposed to people born with powers), things would be a lot worse off for mutants. In the current universe, humans have an example of how super powers can be an asset, used for heroic means, through superheroes like the Avengers. And even in this world, the X-Men are still more often than not too busy playing defense to get anything done.

Without the Avengers, people will be even MORE afraid of mutants, because there won't be anyone BUT mutants to stop OTHER mutants. Every time the X-Men would fight Magneto, they'd be betraying their own species, because there's no one else with powers like mutants, no ideals or heroes to strive towards or stand alongside. Humans would retaliate even more viciously because they don't have any heroes of their own to defend them from mutants.

So while it could be interesting, and I'd definitely read a What if? series with that premise, I don't think I'd like on a day to day.

Isn't that basically the appeal of the X-men a team that is in the middle trying desperately to unite both sides since a majority of theirs stories have them as the underdog. Besides X-men are like Spider-Man people love that losing battle fighting hard to achieve their goal even if it doesn't turn out how they hoped. Having them removed from the Marvel U. eliminates those pointless questions of "Why wasn't the Avengers their to save Genosha, mutant registration , etc. Plus writers won't have to make up a stupid excuse as to why mutants are unanimously hated over super humans like horrid excuses as Sentient virus's makes all humanity instinctively hate mutants.

#16 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

If mutants existed in their own world, the government would no doubt take actions in a bid to control them and weaponize them, like Weapon X does. There would also likely be humans weaponizing themselves to combat and hunt mutants. So characters like Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye and other would exist in both realities, they would be kind of different though. I always imagine they would function more like the Ultimates than the actual Avengers.

It's funny you mention that, when I was picturing how the two separate worlds would be, it seemed to me that the X-men's world would be more different from the 616 than the Avengers world would. And that, yeah, the X-men's world would be more like the ultimate comics X-men.

Stuff like which characters would be in which world aren't so hard, but it does seem like there's a lot that would work just as well or make just as much sense in either.

#17 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny you mention that, when I was picturing how the two separate worlds would be, it seemed to me that the X-men's world would be more different from the 616 than the Avengers world would. And that, yeah, the X-men's world would be more like the ultimate comics X-men.

Stuff like which characters would be in which world aren't so hard, but it does seem like there's a lot that would work just as well or make just as much sense in either.

Thats one of the things the Ultimate Universe did the best. They actually dealt with, or tried to at least, deal with the fact that no one know which hero isn't or is a muatnt, I remember people calling Spider-Man a mutant in his title.

#18 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't that basically the appeal of the X-men a team that is in the middle trying desperately to unite both sides since a majority of theirs stories have them as the underdog. Besides X-men are like Spider-Man people love that losing battle fighting hard to achieve their goal even if it doesn't turn out how they hoped. Having them removed from the Marvel U. eliminates those pointless questions of "Why wasn't the Avengers their to save Genosha, mutant registration , etc. Plus writers won't have to make up a stupid excuse as to why mutants are unanimously hated over super humans like horrid excuses as Sentient virus's makes all humanity instinctively hate mutants.

I always understood the Avengers never helping the mutants because the X-Men have superpowers too, and therefore should be able to handle most of their own problems. Like you never see anyone questioning why Spider-Man, or Iron Man, or Captain America don't just call the Avengers to deal with their villains because it's assumed they can handle them.

As for why mutants are universally hated while superhumans are loved, again, I kind of assumed that was just because superhumans are superHUMANS, they're what humans can be, what anyone could be if chance aligned just right. Whereas mutants are born what they are, another species altogether, more powerful than humans by nature rather than chance, hence the hatred and fear.

Still, like I said, I am open to this idea in a separate universe, a pure mutant universe with no superhumans, only humans and mutants, but I like the X-Men in this shared universe alongside the Avengers, especially with the way they're integrating and mixing these days.

#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats one of the things the Ultimate Universe did the best. They actually dealt with, or tried to at least, deal with the fact that no one know which hero isn't or is a muatnt, I remember people calling Spider-Man a mutant in his title.

Yeah, see? Spider-man's been mistaken for a mutant lots of times even before the Ultimates', he's always had issues with public perception the same way the X-men have. Hulk even more so. They could make just as much sense in either world, or both.

#20 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5868 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog said:

I'm sure I would give books like that a chance, just because it could be different.

My main thing is that the books technically already can "just have the X-men and the Avengers dealing with their own problems", which is actually what most of their stories are, even though they exist in the same world.

And, the way things are with the shared universe, they also have the option of not doing that, of having them interact, if that would better suit the story they want to tell. Which, to me, just seems like having the best of both worlds.

I agree with this, although I think that the X-Men stories and the Avengers stories would still be good with or without the involvement of the others.

#21 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:

Yeah, see? Spider-man's been mistaken for a mutant lots of times even before the Ultimates', he's always had issues with public perception the same way the X-men have. Hulk even more so. They could make just as much sense in either world, or both.

Yeah, but thats one minor note. Other things I have never understood stem from the fact that mutants have superpowers just like superhumans, some of them have the same ones. So why are only mutants persecuted? Also why was superhuman registration during Civil War such a big deal when mutant registration has been thrown around for decades beforehand? Why does every superhero operate out of NYC? Some superhumans have done a lot more property damage then any mutant when losing control, being mind controlled or fighting a villain, yet, suspiciously they are not ostracized.

#22 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Other things I have never understood stem from the fact that mutants have superpowers just like superhumans, some of them have the same ones. So why are only mutants persecuted? Also why was superhuman registration during Civil War such a big deal when mutant registration has been thrown around for decades beforehand? Why does every superhero operate out of NYC? Some superhumans have done a lot more property damage then any mutant when losing control, being mind controlled or fighting a villain, yet, suspiciously they are not ostracized.

yeah, I guess those kinds of questions just really don't keep me up at night.

I mean, I usually think it's cool when those kinds of things are addressed, but I don't care if their not. It's not really important. Public perception of just about anything changes from place to place and all the time, in the real world, there's no reason to assume it's not the same in theirs. Popular perception in the story will be what the story needs it to be.

#23 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:

Other things I have never understood stem from the fact that mutants have superpowers just like superhumans, some of them have the same ones. So why are only mutants persecuted? Also why was superhuman registration during Civil War such a big deal when mutant registration has been thrown around for decades beforehand? Why does every superhero operate out of NYC? Some superhumans have done a lot more property damage then any mutant when losing control, being mind controlled or fighting a villain, yet, suspiciously they are not ostracized.

yeah, I guess those kinds of questions just really don't keep me up at night.

I mean, I usually think it's cool when those kinds of things are addressed, but I don't care if their not. It's not really important. Public perception of just about anything changes from place to place and all the time, in the real world, there's no reason to assume it's not the same in theirs. Popular perception in the story will be what the story needs it to be.

Yeah, everything you say is truth. It doesn't keep me up at night, but sometimes when reading X-men stories it is bothersome.

Although, as I said in my first response, I am not opposed to superhumans and mutants in the same universes. In fact, one of my favorite New Mutants issues is when Emma Frost has the New Mutants and Magneto attempts to come to their rescue she calls the Avengers to deal with him. Which leads to a nice battle between them.

#24 Posted by CheeseSticks (2465 posts) - - Show Bio

I want them in their own universe because they have so much potential. Look at all the X-Men in limbo, thanks Marvel.

#25 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, everything you say is truth. It doesn't keep me up at night, but sometimes when reading X-men stories it is bothersome.

Although, as I said in my first response, I am not opposed to superhumans and mutants in the same universes. In fact, one of my favorite New Mutants issues is when Emma Frost has the New Mutants and Magneto attempts to come to their rescue she calls the Avengers to deal with him. Which leads to a nice battle between them.

oh, man that sounds awesome!!!

I really need to get around to reading the original New Mutants... it's like the only major X-men series I haven't read most of. Did Barry Windsor-Smith draw this issue, or just the cover? he's great!

#26 Posted by HAWK2916 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess for me, its ok for things to stay the way they are as far as everybody being in the same universe. Im a fan of the xmen and also though less so a fan of the avengers. Xmen I grew up on Avengers im newer to. What I dislike is the x-characters being used on avengers teams. Wolverine,Beast,Cannonball and Sunspot belong with the Xmen. Even with the Uncanny Avengers, though I feel its the best book out there, I dont want xmen running around as avengers. The only place I can see it is in New Avengers as Iluminati members and thats it. Of course this may change for me soon since we will have the Avengers,Xmen, Inhumans and Fantastic Four all in one universe. That may be a bit crowded

#27 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

I guess for me, its ok for things to stay the way they are as far as everybody being in the same universe. Im a fan of the xmen and also though less so a fan of the avengers. Xmen I grew up on Avengers im newer to. What I dislike is the x-characters being used on avengers teams. Wolverine,Beast,Cannonball and Sunspot belong with the Xmen. Even with the Uncanny Avengers, though I feel its the best book out there, I dont want xmen running around as avengers. The only place I can see it is in New Avengers as Iluminati members and thats it. Of course this may change for me soon since we will have the Avengers,Xmen, Inhumans and Fantastic Four all in one universe. That may be a bit crowded

I agree with you about Wolverine, I just prefer him in the X-men. Beast I can go either way with, I like him as an X-man and as an Avenger, and I really wouldn't mind if he was just both (-for a lot of characters I would, but he's the exception that proves the rule for me).

Sunspot and especially Cannonball definitely seem more like X-characters, but I do think it's cool that they have been Avengers now. It is an acknowledgement, at least. If they aren't going to be X-men or (preferably) have their own team, I don't mind that they've been drafted to be Avengers for a spell; at least they aren't in limbo.

Also, the Avengers, X-men, Inhumans, and Fantastic Four already all live in the same universe, they always have.

#28 Posted by XsPectre28 (719 posts) - - Show Bio

they are all fine in the 616 universe, just stop beefing the avengers, they cannot beat the x-men..... JMO. avx was fixed!!!!!!!!!

#29 Edited by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I want them in their own universe because they have so much potential. Look at all the X-Men in limbo, thanks Marvel.

yes this too

#30 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

yes this too

why do you guys think having them in a separate universe would change that?

#31 Posted by BrokenSpear (189 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

I think the X-men existing in their own universe would make for some compelling storylines that would definitely set them apart from marvels other franchises, but them existing in the 616 means they have better exposure and more opportunities for big events and tie-ins. My main issue with 616 right now is just that It just seems like everything is revolving around the avengers to the detriment of X-Men storylines and character progression.

#32 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

• I think the X-men existing in their own universe would make for some compelling storylines that would definitely set them apart from marvels other franchises, but them existing in the 616 means they have better exposure and more opportunities for big events and tie-ins.
  • My main issue with 616 right now is just that It just seems like everything is revolving around the avengers to the detriment of X-Men storylines and character progression.

yeah, I definitely agree with your first point.

as for your second, I read three Avengers books and three or four X-men books a month, and, to me, it seems pretty well balanced. Personally, I could do with less events and crossovers in general, but I'd hate to see them rule out the possibility of good ones just for expediency sake.

#33 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve said:

Except the difference is even Spider-Man had some public acknowledgement of being a hero heck even Hulk on some rare occasions with the X-men I feel as though human hatred is written so unanimously you don't see the side that defends them. Its hate for the sake of hate.

@cheesesticks said:

yes this too

Exactly in order to have your X-men characters we need to have them placed in a heroes Reborn style universe by Franklin or Scarlet Witch. I get to see the return of old members of the Avengers you get to see returning old X-men members in their separate universe everyone wins. Plus I get payback at the X-men for that horrid Onslaught event.

#34 Edited by CheeseSticks (2465 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau said:

@cheesesticks said:

yes this too

Very simple: The focus would be on them.

#35 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

Except the difference is even Spider-Man had some public acknowledgement of being a hero heck even Hulk on some rare occasions with the X-men I feel as though human hatred is written so unanimously you don't see the side that defends them. Its hate for the sake of hate.

Hate for the sake of hate is what prejudice is, which is what the theme of X-men is.

If you read X-men, you know that they have also been loved and hated by the public, depending on the story; just like Spider-man, and just like the Hulk. And the Thing and the Human Torch, heck, even like the Avengers. If you do your homework, you'll see that that's just a theme of marvel heroes in general.

#36 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

in X-men comics, the focus has ever been on X-men. That there are dozens upon dozens of X-men to shift the focus between would not change in an alternate reality.

or, at least, I have no reason to believe it would.

#37 Posted by CheeseSticks (2465 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

in X-men comics, the focus has ever been on X-men. That there are dozens upon dozens of X-men to shift the focus between would not change in an alternate reality.

or, at least, I have no reason to believe it would.

Yup, with many ties-in and event with the rest of Marvel universe. Putting them alone would obviously not do a thing.

#38 Edited by jhazzroucher (15757 posts) - - Show Bio

X-men only! : )

#39 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Yes I know that but the difference is the hate the X-men receive is higher and when cross overs happen between them and Avengers it always seems like a one sided debate with the X-men being right to crap like them throwing comments of why weren't you their during Genosha's and I would have been okay with that if the Avengers made mention of Kang Dynasty but they never do and. Have to reminded of Genosha three times from New X-men, Civil War and New Avengers so I'm a little tick when I read that event over Kang Dynasty. Because of that and the countless Versus events to make the X-men like the victim I find they are better suited in a Earth 2 style title that DC did for its Golden Age heroes. Plus we get to retcon out Onslaught, Avengers vs X-men, House of M, Avengers Disassembled, Decimation and Age of Ultron. Everyone Wins.

#40 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya said:

@oldnightcrawler: Yes I know that but the difference is the hate the X-men receive is higher and when cross overs happen between them and Avengers it always seems like a one sided debate with the X-men being right to crap like them throwing comments of why weren't you their during Genosha's and I would have been okay with that if the Avengers made mention of Kang Dynasty but they never do and. Have to reminded of Genosha three times from New X-men, Civil War and New Avengers so I'm a little tick when I read that event over Kang Dynasty. Because of that and the countless Versus events to make the X-men like the victim I find they are better suited in a Earth 2 style title that DC did for its Golden Age heroes. Plus we get to retcon out Onslaught, Avengers vs X-men, House of M, Avengers Disassembled, Decimation and Age of Ultron. Everyone Wins.

nobody wins with pointless retcons. It's almost always a waste of time.

If it was a reboot, the start of two new continuities outside the 616, I think it could work just as well.

They already make books set in others realities: the Ultimate Comics, the Marvel Knights books, the MAX books, anything based on the cartoons; they could just as easily have an X-men book set in it's own reality, and an Avengers book set in a world without X-men, and still have a shared universe as well.

#41 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

this is from the Avengers version of this:

@xwraith said:

The X-Men have been part of 616 for 50 years. I don't think you can change it now.

I agree that breaking up the established (awesome) history of the 616 seems a colossal waste, that's why I was thinking having two books set in their own universes, outside of the 616, would be the way to go.

Based on the limited results of these polls, it seems like 32% of Avengers fans and 31% of X-men fans think the two would be better served in their own universes. That makes me think it might be worth taking one of the many Avengers books and one of the many X-men books and re-purposing them into this sort of idea. Especially given that another 16% of Avengers fans and 26% said they would also give such books a chance.

I know that these are extremely limited stats, but that almost half of the Avengers fans and more than half of the X-men fans say they would give such books a chance makes me think it could be a way to satisfy all of the fans.

Don't get me wrong, I personally agree that the shared 616 universe is the best way to go, and I'd hate to see that ever go away. But if having two new ways to look at and tell stories with the characters in addition to that would satisfy what some fans want to see anyway, and what other fans would be willing to try, it seems like it could be at least worth a try.