#1 Posted by Koays (581 posts) - - Show Bio

In most genres there are icons.
But music, television, sports and politics are all slaves to time and as such the icons grow old and are forgotten. Comics are different however as they have a longer shelf life do to their change in creators, editors and depictions with the time. Characters like Superman will continue to live on for generations with updates to the status quo to keep the character from aging.

The X-Men are different, they are a team with an ever changing roster and line-up including 100's of old faces and new ones added every year.Very few people have the same favorite X-Men members and even fewer can agree on a line-up or direction because of how long running the series has been.

As such every time a new book is announced people will speculate on who will appear in it, complain about who isn't appearing in it, insult the character who are and then reminisce on there favorite teams.

On the other hand its been suggested that the "old school" vision for the X-Men, as a team of people who fight and grow together before each character eventually moves on, retires or decides to take another path in life, should be the status quo. The logic behind it is that this prevents characters from becoming bigger then the other X-Men while allowing for a character to have finality with the growth they've experienced within the team. This also prevents roster sizes from growing out of control with hundreds of background characters fighting for exposure within the same books as the fan favorite X-Men that have been getting the same attention for decades.

The problem with this idea is that if the most popular characters left two things may happen:
1. people who aren't attached to the new characters will leave,
2. people will compare characters/line ups who may never share a panel even moreso then now, with the lingering question being who is more of an X-Man.

And the fact is Wolverine is more of an X-Man then Marrow. And while this doesn't diminish her characters growth and challenges, Wolverine is an Iconic X-Man who should never retire for the sake of the franchise. When you tell your grand children about your favorite comic book team your going to say Wolverine was on it so that they have something to latch on to.

That being said:
THE QUESTION (finally)
1- Which X-Men do you personally give "iconic" status to? (not just the first 5 or the 80s team)
2- Which X-Men do you see becoming an Icon?
3- If an X-Man is "Iconic" then how do you think they should be handled? Should characters like Jean Grey stay dead for another 30 years or be killed off for shock value despite their overwhelming importance in and out of the story(ex: Prof. X, Nightcrawler)?

and lastly
4- Can you see a way in which characters like Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine etc, could retire from all of the X-books and the franchise could continue on at the same or greater heights?

#2 Posted by Koays (581 posts) - - Show Bio

please pardon any errors in the initial post :)

#3 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is the really the only "iconic" X-character. I always contest that Marvels big three characters are Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine, although they would like you to think otherwise.

As far as them building characters, I can't really see anyone reaching Wolverines status. Character that obtain the status that characters like Wolverine, Spider-man, Batman have done so because they are featured in things outside the comics like movies, TV shows, etc over decades. Also, the fact that the X-men are a team book featuring tons of different characters and confusing stories makes it difficult for certain characters to stand out.

Yes, I could definitely see the old characters retiring. In fact, I am disappointed that the X-Men of the present aren't comprised of more New Mutant characters, I mean, characters like Dani Moonstar, Sunspot, Magma have enough potential to be, or, are already more interesting than characters like Colossus (sorry Colossus).

I mean, look at a book like Teen Titans, which was pretty much DCs answer to X-Men in the 80s, their final team before the New 52 reboot had none of the original members and constantly introduced characters who became real popular, though, you could argue it was more due to their family ties, but then again, that is their primary gimmick.

#4 Edited by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine and possibly Storm are pretty much it. Cyclops and Jean Grey are the closest seconds, although Xavier and Magneto are getting a lot of boost from the First Class stuff. I'd love to see Kitty Pryde get more prominence there because in the comics I see her as quintessential X-Men, but we haven't really seen enough of her in the films.

#5 Posted by jhazzroucher (13958 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Wolverine and Storm are iconic. Cyclops can be considered iconic. Magneto, Professor X, Jean Grey and Rogue are close to being iconic.

2. Probably Iceman.

3. Storm should have her own ongoing and movie. Same goes to Cyclops, Jean Grey and Rogue. I think Magneto should remain a villain. I only put Professor X on my list because of his appearances in movies.

4. If it's like killing Wolverine, Storm and Cyclops, then the x-books would sell less.

#6 Posted by phisigmatau (433 posts) - - Show Bio

No one X-men should have an on-going... they're a team.

Maybe a quick little series here and there.. but not a long term book.

But yeah Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Professor X and Pheonix are iconic...

#7 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure jean dies alot but others have came back from the dead ie magik, cyclops, cable, lady deathsterike, Mr. sinister. Why should jean tahke the heat for not bothering with characters death because they will come back later?????

#8 Edited by Koays (581 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure jean dies alot but others have came back from the dead ie magik, cyclops, cable, lady deathsterike, Mr. sinister. Why should jean tahke the heat for not bothering with characters death because they will come back later?????

Hey, Xavier is included in that sentiment as well. And I doubt he'll be gone as long as Jean, since he's been "dead" crippled and everything in between every 5 years or so since the 80s simply to come back to his original wise old mentor role.

#9 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

Hey, Xavier is included in that sentiment as well. And I doubt he'll be gone as long as Jean, since he's been "dead" crippled and everything in between every 5 years or so since the 80s simply to come back to his original wise old mentor role.

Yea so true but even if xavier comes back alive again, i dont see him joining the x-men or being the leader again. Heck even before he died, he was just in the background not really doing anything.

#10 Edited by THUNDERBOLT30 (9013 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Wolverine and Storm are iconic. Cyclops can be considered iconic. Magneto, Professor X, Jean Grey and Rogue are close to being iconic.

2. Probably Iceman.

3. Storm should have her own ongoing and movie. Same goes to Cyclops, Jean Grey and Rogue. I think Magneto should remain a villain. I only put Professor X on my list because of his appearances in movies.

4. If it's like killing Wolverine, Storm and Cyclops, then the x-books would sell less.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. And I think sales would tank pretty hard without having Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops, Psylocke, etc. in the books. I think they have much bigger fan following than most of the characters created after them.

#11 Posted by Koays (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

Yea so true but even if xavier comes back alive again, i dont see him joining the x-men or being the leader again. Heck even before he died, he was just in the background not really doing anything.

yea, but the point is he's so important to the mythos that he'll keep coming back so that an entire generation of readers doesn't grow up asking why their called the X-men and why they stand for what they do.

#12 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@koays said:

yea, but the point is he's so important to the mythos that he'll keep coming back so that an entire generation of readers doesn't grow up asking why their called the X-men and why they stand for what they do.

I wonder when he come back, im going to guess maybe next year or 2.

#13 Edited by Koays (581 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@koays said:

I wonder when he come back, im going to guess maybe next year or 2.

With one movie coming out and another supposedly in the works I see it coming by the time the images for the 2nd movie start going

#14 Edited by adamTRMM (855 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely no one, everyone is expendable for a great story and sometimes it's better kill the characters then force their relevance into the story, of course with a respect and making their deaths symbolic. I guess I am inspired with the end of SOA's season 6 lol