#1 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

With Peter David's X-Factor coming to a close (sadly I've read NONE of it, though I plan on reading #200 to present), I started to wonder what will fill the void. If I'm not mistaken X-Factor is more of a detective agency than a formal "Xavier's Dream" team. In keeping with that I started to wonder what it'd be like if the X-Men had a heist team similar to Leverage.

For the uninitiated, Team Leverage was a group that set out to right the wrongs of the world and stand up for the little guy in a "Spy vs. Spy" type way. The group consisted of 5 basic archetypes: Mastermind, Thief, Hacker, Hitter and Grifter - though for my purposes I'll be expanding that list. This is a "get in and out before they even know what happened" team. Everything from item "acquisition" to the recovery of missing persons fall under their umbrella.

A bit of criteria first:

1. Experience is a must, this is not a "learn on the job" type of gig. This rules out many, but not all of the New X-Men squad as well as all of the new mutants in UXM.
  2. Must bring more than powers to a team. If a character uses them as a crunch, they aren't fit for this group.
  3. Moral ambiguity. These missions while definitely not on the level of X-Force, still involve doing some bad things for the right reasons.

Gambit

(Mastermind, Thief, Grifter)

There's nobody else fit to lead this team. He has the experience, the versatility and know-how. He can get by on his wits and acrobatics - his kinetic abilities are just icing on the cake.

Psylocke

(Hitter, Interrogator, Infiltrator)

Brings many skills to the table from her telekinesis and telepathy, to her honed ninja skills. Can deal with antagonists quietly and efficiently with lethal and/or non-lethal force.

Lifeguard (Rescue & Retrieval)
Versatility. Sometimes things don't go as planned and when they don't you need versatility. Lifeguard is someone who can easily adapt to a less than adequate situation and make the most of it.

Longshot (Infiltrator, Rescue & Recovery, Odds Manipulation)
With his inhuman marksmanship, acrobat-like agility, psychometry and luck based powers, Longshot brings a lot to the table.

Sage (Hacker, Field Intelligence)
With her computer-like mind, Sage is an invaluable asset to a heist team. Her ability to quickly assess friends and foes alike, while carry an enormous amount of mission related intel in her head make her second in command. Works closely with...

Fence (Hacker, Mission Intelligence, Mission Coordinator)
Gambit's trusted ally from his new series - which is ending in September :( - Fence not only has connections that other members of this team don't have access to, he also is a brilliant researcher and expert in cybernetics if the need rises. He coordinates missions and keeps track of the status of each member. His cupcake shop, Sugar Muffins, serves as a front for his illegal fencing operation as well as the team's headquarters.

Bedlam (Infiltration, Hitter, Crowd Control)
A bit of a jack-of-all-trades member, Bedlam lends himself to heavy black ops jobs with his experience in espionage, hand-to-hand combat and his versatile mutant ability.

Pixie (Transportation, Crowd Control)
With her mass teleportation abilities and hallucinogens allow her to get the team where they need to be quickly and cause diversions when necessary.

Frenzy (Hitter)
When things go wrong, she doesn't. Her primary function is a field bodyguard for Fence as he coordinates the mission in progress. However, if it all hits the fan she goes in and gets everyone out.

Essentially this team could be broken down to a smaller group. I didn't use Kitty Pryde as I wanted to stick with as many lesser used characters as possible and her moral ambiguity or lack thereof could cause problems - though obviously she'd be a great asset to a team like this.

Discuss!

#2 Edited by McKlayn (1175 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it, i think you went astray on a few of your picks like Lifeguard, you said yourself that powers shouldn't be a must and i know she was a lifeguard before joining the X men but being able to swim and give CPR doesn't exactly put you on the ranks of a leverage team (loved the show btw) and in the Xtreme X men run she was in (the only run i remember her being part of) she wasn't exactly cool when things got stressful, also she would stand out like a sore thumb which in a spy vs spy world where you want NOT to draw attention would be bad right? (Pixie also would be solely relaying on her mutant gifts)

I especially like Gambit, Sage, Frenzy, Psylocke and Longshot.

I might suggest if you want to add more or just others i think might fit Prodigy (he could do as much as hardison did for the team as a hacker) and Domino (pretty much female longshot so you might not want to double up lol)

#3 Posted by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn: I didn't say powers shouldn't be a must, I just said they shouldn't be the only thing that is brought to the table. Lifeguard's ability to instantly adapt to any situation IMO is worth the risk of losing stealth. If her power works the way I think it does, then her ability will actually help keep her under wraps. Worst comes to worst, she on the Panic Button Squad along w/ Frenzy.

While Pixie would stand out, she still has her dust to confuse and manipulate those around her. Not to mention Longshot, Psylocke and Bedlam are able play w/ people's minds as well. Admittedly, she could be replaced by Blink or Slipstream... probably a better fit.

I seriously, seriously, seriously considered Prodigy, but I figured him in addition to Fence and Sage would be a much for the technical side of the team.

I stayed away from Domino just for a change. Everyone expects Domino on a team like this, so I went with Longshot instead. Besides, the roster was getting a bit female heavy. This could've easily been named Gambit's Angels in it's original configuration.

Others I considered, but didn't include: Cecilia Reyes, Forge, Doctor Nemesis, Fantomex, Hellion, Elixir, Cloak & Dagger, Darwin, Hope Summers, Karma, Madison Jeffries, and just considered Warlock.

#4 Posted by Teerack (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

No Domino?! O.O

#5 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

No Domino?! O.O

Haha, check out my response above your post.

Though I will admit, it'd be crazy to see what stacking Luck powers w/ Longshot would do lol.

#6 Posted by ShadowX (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this team. It has a good amount of diversity( power wise and background). Would you have any stories or villans/enemies you would see this team go up against?

#7 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx said:

I like this team. It has a good amount of diversity( power wise and background). Would you have any stories or villans/enemies you would see this team go up against?

Not a villain per se, but I loved the Gambit arc w/ Pete Wisdom. Other than him, this team trying to steal something from SHIELD and/or SWORD headquarters would be awesome.

As for pure villains... since Gambit is the lead, you have to throw Sinister in there. Then probably Atlantis, AIM, The Hand (Shadowland), Assassin's Guild, Thieves Guild (the irony), Avengers Tower, New Xavier's School, JGS, etc - they'd hit everything.

#8 Posted by ShadowX (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg: niceeee. Everything and everybody aw

#9 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5103 posts) - - Show Bio
@mcklayn said:

I like it, i think you went astray on a few of your picks like Lifeguard, you said yourself that powers shouldn't be a must and i know she was a lifeguard before joining the X men but being able to swim and give CPR doesn't exactly put you on the ranks of a leverage team (loved the show btw) and in the Xtreme X men run she was in (the only run i remember her being part of) she wasn't exactly cool when things got stressful, also she would stand out like a sore thumb which in a spy vs spy world where you want NOT to draw attention would be bad right? (Pixie also would be solely relaying on her mutant gifts)

I especially like Gambit, Sage, Frenzy, Psylocke and Longshot.

@ctg: I have to agree that I don't think Lifeguard or Pixie would be very good fits, but otherwise I'm liking everything about this team. I have a hard time picturing Gambit in a leadership role, but I like the idea of this team a lot.

#10 Edited by judasnixon (8400 posts) - - Show Bio

I would throw in these two thieving ladies.....

#11 Edited by ShadowX (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: who is the second one? Boom boom?

Also another intresting member to add might be Ricochet.

People often forget he is also a mutant and I think it would be intresting to see him on an x-men team and his disks could be useful. Especially since its been shown he has EMP ones( could be used to cause errors with computers, cameras, etc)

#12 Posted by McKlayn (1175 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx: yes the second one is boom boom

#13 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Boom Boom causes explosions... Not a good fit for a team that wants to maintain a low profile.

#14 Posted by judasnixon (8400 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg: Then you better get Gambit off the team.........

#15 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

@ctg: Then you better get Gambit off the team.........

Do you know anything about the guy? He was raised to do just this... Boom Boom was not.

Have you been reading his solo series? He uses his abilities in a lot more creative ways than just blowing things up.

#16 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5103 posts) - - Show Bio

Boom Boom makes me think of the Vanisher.. he might be a cool old character to bring back for something like this. Maybe not as a member of the team, but even just as someone they run across in this area of work..

#17 Posted by Jake Fury (21299 posts) - - Show Bio

How about Storm? Outside of Gambit she has the most experience as a thief.

#18 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury said:

She was the second or third character I considered, but her powers can be a bit "noisy" most of the time and she lacks the moral ambiguity needed.

To recap, the only change I'd make right now to this team is swapping out Pixie w/ Blink or Slipstream

#19 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5103 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that element of Storm a lot, but I can't help feeling that it would be too much like Storm's team if she were involved. And at the same time, if she weren't a main character in it, it would seem like a waste to have her there in the first place.

I guess, even though she is one of my favorites, I just think this team would be more distinct without her.

#20 Posted by MistressOfTheElements (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg: You forgot that Storm is a excellent thief and good Co-Leadership!You should of replaced Storm with Pixie, Storm can travel the speed of the wind.She can summon up a gust of wind for her team members if they really need it.Storm have crowd control!Just because Pixie is cute dose not mean Storm can't get the job done!Storm powers is not that noisy compared to Pixie yelling out spells for her teleportation. Other than that..Good List

#21 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg: You forgot that Storm is a excellent thief and good Co-Leadership!You should of replaced Storm with Pixie, Storm can travel the speed of the wind.She can summon up a gust of wind for her team members if they really need it.Storm have crowd control!Just because Pixie is cute dose not mean Storm can't get the job done!Storm powers is not that noisy compared to Pixie yelling out spells for her teleportation. Other than that..Good List

*sigh*

#22 Posted by time (5823 posts) - - Show Bio

cool team. I like Betsy, frenzy on the team they will go well with Gambit. I would swap pixie for Vanisher though. You should do all girl team.

#23 Posted by batmannflash (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

I like having Gambit, Fantomex, and Psylocke on a heist team. And a little of an odd choice, Kitty Pryde because of her intangibility abilities. I feel like Storm's powers would be too disruptive in a situation like this, unless she plans on not using her powers.

#24 Edited by iTzBigPanda (28 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to create a team from scratch it would have to be Colossus (hitter), Kitty Pryde (thief), Gambit (mastermind), Fence (hacker), and Jean Grey (grifter). It may be a very mainstream team but it gets the job done. Colossus really wouldn't even need his powers... He is still huge without going organic steel.

#25 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46670

Amus planned on Gambit leading a Marvel heist team. I'm so hype and disappointed at the same time.

So opening this discussion up to Marvel characters and not just X-Men, who do you go with?

Obviously you start with...

Then I still use Fence...

But then who?

Scarlet Spider? Moon Knight?

I still like my original team, but in the spirit of adding non X-Men... this is gonna take a bit of thought.

#26 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

After sleeping on it, in addition to Gambit and Fence...

#27 Posted by captkangaroo727 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Husk could also be a great addition to a heist team for her hacking skills. Sure she's not on par with Sage but she is still a skilled hacker and could double as a heavy hitter if needed.

#28 Edited by John Valentine (16403 posts) - - Show Bio

This list isn't a team per se, more so a list of X-Men/mutants whose powers/skills I can see benefitting said operation, morality aside.

• Gambit
  • Sage
  • Storm
  • Domino
  • Longshot
  • Cipher
  • Cypher
  • Mystique
  • Forge
  • Madison Jeffries
  • Kitty Pryde
  • Nightcrawler - 616 version is deceased
  • Nocturne
  • Amelia Vought
  • Psyclocke
  • Anole
  • Madrox
  • Vanisher
  • Fantomex/EVA/Cluster
  • Bolt - deceased
  • X-23
  • Wolverine
  • Daken (not sure on his level of training, but if X-23 and Wolverine are capable, Daken should be too)
  • Jimmy Hudson (same applies, if X-23 and Wolverine are capable, Jimmy should be too)
  • Pulse
  • Random
  • Microxmax
  • Shortpack
  • Shinobi Shaw - deceased
  • Mach Two (Ultimate)
  • Lady Mastermind
  • Martinique Jason
  • Trance
  • Mercury
  • Bedlam -deceased
  • Blink (Teleportation?)
  • Pixie (Teleportation? Probably too noticeable)
  • Ariel (Teleportation?)
  • Magik (Teleportation?)
#29 Edited by Blacharrt1 (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg: How did you make this list without storm, considering she is also a master thief?and Frenzy is probably the worst person you would want on a stealth mission of any kind she is not subtle at all. Pixie could be substituted for a better teleporter (I'd prefer Blink or Magik), she has to speak in order to use her teleportation which could be really inconvenient if someone was say covering her mouth.

For a stealth inside out job, Storm, Gambit, Fantomex/cluster, Psylocke, Cipher, and Cypher (or Sage), Mercury (or Bling,) because the the surfaces of their bodies are reflective, and can't be detected with lasers. Dust. That team should be able to get into anywhere easily.

#30 Edited by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@blacharrt1 said:

@ctg: How did you make this list without storm, considering she is also a master thief?and Frenzy is probably the worst person you would want on a stealth mission of any kind she is not subtle at all. Pixie could be substituted for a better teleporter (I'd prefer Blink or Magik), she has to speak in order to use her teleportation which could be really inconvenient if someone was say covering her mouth.

For a stealth inside out job, Storm, Gambit, Fantomex/cluster, Psylocke, Cipher, and Cypher (or Sage), Mercury (or Bling,) because the the surfaces of their bodies are reflective, and can't be detected with lasers. Dust. That team should be able to get into anywhere easily.

Already explained why Storm isn't in.

And if you're questioning why Frenzy is in, you probably didn't read any of the original post.

#31 Edited by Backflip (2284 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Gambit
  • Domino
  • Fantomex
  • Nocturne
  • Sage
  • Vanisher
#32 Posted by tomasmaclgh (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercury would be a great infiltrator:

#33 Posted by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

This list isn't a team per se, more so a list of X-Men/mutants whose powers/skills I can see benefitting said operation, morality aside.

• Gambit
  • Sage
  • Storm
  • Domino
  • Longshot
  • Cipher
  • Cypher
  • Mystique
  • Forge
  • Madison Jeffries
  • Kitty Pryde
  • Nightcrawler - 616 version is deceased
  • Nocturne
  • Amelia Vought
  • Psyclocke
  • Anole
  • Madrox
  • Vanisher
  • Fantomex/EVA/Cluster
  • Bolt - deceased
  • X-23
  • Wolverine
  • Daken (not sure on his level of training, but if X-23 and Wolverine are capable, Daken should be too)
  • Jimmy Hudson (same applies, if X-23 and Wolverine are capable, Jimmy should be too)
  • Pulse
  • Random
  • Microxmax
  • Shortpack
  • Shinobi Shaw - deceased
  • Mach Two (Ultimate)
  • Lady Mastermind
  • Martinique Jason
  • Trance
  • Mercury
  • Bedlam -deceased
  • Blink (Teleportation?)
  • Pixie (Teleportation? Probably too noticeable)
  • Ariel (Teleportation?)
  • Magik (Teleportation?)

Not sure if you saw my new post, but Asmus actually planned on doing a Gambit led Heist team of Marvel characters - not just mutants. Adds a lot to the mix. My new team is a couple posts above yours.

Gambit, Fence, Black Cat, Winter Soldier, X-23, Elsa Bloodstone, Agent Venom.

#34 Edited by Backflip (2284 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg: That debunks the idea of an 'X-Men' team though.

#35 Posted by CTG (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@backflip said:

@ctg: That debunks the idea of an 'X-Men' team though.

I didn't want to make a completely new thread, so I just put it here.

Jokes on me assuming people read through threads.

#36 Posted by cajunpirate (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd start with Gambit & Psylocke. Since the X-Men and Avengers are mixing things up now, I'd bring in Ant-Man as well. Those are the three I'd send in, with Forge and Sage on the team as well.

#37 Posted by ChillinVillain (176 posts) - - Show Bio

- Gambit

- Mystique

- X-23

- Dust/Mercury

- Fence

- Cypher

- Cipher

- Hellion

- Elixir

#38 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5103 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg said:

After sleeping on it, in addition to Gambit and Fence...

Great Idea!

I'd start with Gambit & Psylocke. Since the X-Men and Avengers are mixing things up now, I'd bring in Ant-Man as well. Those are the three I'd send in, with Forge and Sage on the team as well.

this sounds like a great team! I'd have to check out a book with this crew.

oh, did you mean Pym or O'Grady? I guess O'Grady makes more sense.

#39 Posted by papad1992 (7015 posts) - - Show Bio

@ctg:

I would stick to the X-Men side of this thread and conversation... it makes things more interesting and personal!

My team would be:

Gambit (leader)

Sage (missions operator)

Mercury

Anole

Cipher

Longshot

Hepzibah

Trance

Warpath

Darwin