X-Men face moral dilemma in 'No More Humans'

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mike Carey's original graphic novel marks the first for the Marvel Comics mutant team since 1982.

Mike Carey first jumped into the world of Marvel Comics' X-Men after the massive House of M event, the pronouncement of "No more mutants!" and a severe dearth of those in the homo superior race.

The British writer's coming back into the fold in 2014, this time with bad news for mankind.

Next year brings the original graphic novel X-Men: No More Humans by Carey and artist Salvador Larroca that spins out of the recent Battle of the Atom crossover and puts the X-Men in a serious dilemma: how to respond when the world's entire human population disappears, from those at the local mom-and-pop comic shop to the likes of the Avengers and Fantastic Four.

"The stakes, for mutants and humans alike, couldn't be higher," Carey says. "This is a story about who gets to inherit the world and what the cost of that victory might be."

The 128-page No More Humans hardcover book is out May 7 and will also include codes for a free digital copy of the graphic novel and of Battle of the Atom No. 1.

Carey, who penned the X-Men and X-Men Legacy series in the late 2000s, wanted to come up with a "juggernaut" of a crisis that wouldn't just call on the mutant supergroup's skill and ingenuity but also could serve as a moral touchstone.

"There are times in this story when it seems as though there isn't any right thing to do — and when the different ideals and personalities of the X-Men threaten to split them apart," Carey explains.

"We really throw them some monstrous, agonizing curveballs. And we see them, finally, finding the core of themselves and responding as the heroes they are."

Marvel senior editor Nick Lowe promises that the story will appeal to both mainstream audiences who just watch the X-Men movies and also the hardcore fans who've been wondering about the aftermath of Battle of the Atom and its effect on the X-Men at the Jean Grey School and at Cyclops' Xavier School.

The core cast is a "dream team" for Carey, one that includes past and present Cyclops, Jean Grey from the original X-Men squad, Beast, Wolverine, Magneto, Storm and Emma Frost.

But, Carey says, there will also be a mix of familiar heroes and villains — plus one canonical character who hasn't been around for a while "who comes late to the scene but changes everything in a single panel" — in the story that forces the X-Men to choose sides and positions.

The time-traveling saga Battle of the Atom introduced the new antagonist Raze, the offspring of Wolverine and Mystique from the future, and he's the catalyst of the goings-on in No More Humans with a scary agenda and tactics that lead to a powerful first act, according to Carey.

"As far as he's concerned, everything that happens in our time is established and well-documented history. That gives him a terrific edge, and we see him putting it to harrowing use," the writer say.

"We also get to see him interacting with his mother and father. It's not a warm and cuddly family dynamic, sadly."

Carey feels the graphic-novel format offers a different set of expectations than a reader would get with a story explicitly embedded in the run of one particular X-Men book, and No More Humans marks the first original X-Men graphic novel since 1982's seminal God Loves, Man Kills by writer Chris Claremont and artist Brent Anderson.

When that book came out, it was a major influence for Carey, he says. "Chris Claremont was redefining long-form storytelling in comics, and one of the things he was doing was building his book around a solid core of compelling characters, widescreen action and realistic moral dilemmas.

"The themes of intolerance and bigotry addressed in God Loves, Man Kills carried a lot of weight and felt — as a lot of Claremont's work did — like a new color in the mainstream comic book palette. They also felt like a perfect fit for these conflicted characters, who were hybrids of the hero and the outcast."

Carey similarly set out for something deeper than good old superhero fisticuffs in No More Humans. The best X-Men stories for him have had a dimension of moral ambivalence, and the core situation in his story is either a heaven-sent opportunity after decades of being put down or the biggest existential crisis ever.

"One of the themes we keep coming back to is whether the ends ever entirely justify the means and whether you can profit indirectly from evil without being tainted by it yourself," Carey says. "Having said that, we also build up to a battle scene that starts off big and then goes off the scale."

Carey has been away from the X-Men for a couple of years, and Lowe wanted a meaty story to lure him back from his novels, screenwriting and long-running The Unwritten comic.

"Mike is ridiculously talented and does here what he always did best: put our biggest characters in the most difficult situation possible and see them try and fight their way out of it," Lowe says.

The reason Carey keeps returning to the X-Men, though, goes back to his childhood. In fact, they played a major role in two parts of his life.

When Carey was around 8 years old, he read the first wave of Marvel reprint titles that were produced in his native Great Britain. And then later it was Claremont's building of a foundation for the modern franchise that drew him back into comics after he had been a lapsed reader in his teens.

"On one level, I'm writing for those earlier versions of me," the writer says. "I try to triangulate on the stories that both 8-year-old Mike Carey and 16-year-old Mike Carey would have loved to read."

Thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/12/10/x-men-no-more-humans-graphic-novel/3950275/

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

@frogdog: Damn, you beat me to the punch. I had it all typed up and everything :P Oh well. Yeah, I love Mike Carey's work (Suicide Risk is amazing and you should all read it) so I'm definitely getting this. I'm not happy that Raze is going to be the book, but I do like that Nightcrawler is getting a cameo. It'll be interesting to see the two sides interact in the wake of Battle of the Atom. Between this OGN and Carey's part in X-Men Legacy's 300th issue, it seems like Carey is making a return to the X-Men so I couldn't be happier.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lykopis

Hmmm.

Xavier is going to return.

Everything else is just...overwhelming at this point, tbh. I don't separate mutants from humans so having humanity disappear doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. My first thoughts go to the rest of the Marvel Universe which would be most of the Avengers, Fantastic Four, Thor and the gods/goddesses and even cosmic characters. A bit too much perhaps but isn't it always the way?

I enjoy Carey for the most part. Outside of his penchant for pairing up the most unlikely of characters romantically, I have faith he will do right by the X-Men. Maybe even fix some of the Bendis/Remender wounds which are still fresh at the moment for me.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally excited about this and I will be getting it :D

In the fourth(black&white) panel it looks like nightcrawler is there. Did anyone notice???

Whose the girl climbing the building is it x-23

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

In the fourth(black&white) panel it looks like nightcrawler is there. Did anyone notice???

woah, did not notice that..

so much for my theory that he's not really coming back, though, I guess I'm glad to be wrong about that :v

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

woah, did not notice that..

so much for my theory that he's not really coming back, though, I guess I'm glad to be wrong about that :v

I'm glad his back, the x-men can use his guidance.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whose the girl climbing the building is it x-23

The person climbing the building is Raze (BotA-era Wolverine and Mystique's son), X-23 is the girl crouching below Teen Cyclops on page 4. Nightcrawler is cameo'd on the third page (MORE NIGHTCRAWLER, AWWWW YEAH!!!).

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By frogdog

@frogdog: Damn, you beat me to the punch. I had it all typed up and everything :P Oh well. Yeah, I love Mike Carey's work (Suicide Risk is amazing and you should all read it) so I'm definitely getting this. I'm not happy that Raze is going to be the book, but I do like that Nightcrawler is getting a cameo. It'll be interesting to see the two sides interact in the wake of Battle of the Atom. Between this OGN and Carey's part in X-Men Legacy's 300th issue, it seems like Carey is making a return to the X-Men so I couldn't be happier.

Same

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can't wait, Night Crawler seems to be officially back and on Wolvies team of X-Men. I've wanted to see more of Raze as well.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maddpanda531

Nightcrawler! :D

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

That would be interesting and would definitely surprised me if they did this. Another huge monkey wrench in the X-Verse machine. I can only imagine everyone's reactions, especially Cyclop's and Wolverine's.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GonnaRain

Finally Emma in another book. Sold.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

That would be interesting and would definitely surprised me if they did this. Another huge monkey wrench in the X-Verse machine. I can only imagine everyone's reactions, especially Cyclop's and Wolverine's.

It'll be something special like the White Force Phoenix taking Xavier into the White Room unbeknownst to Cyclops and then woohoo -- reveal. Or not, lol. I try to avoid guessing. It's too insane right now as it is. :)

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By HAWK2916

Am I the only one disappointed that tbos book is supposed to be "spinning out of" BOTA? That was a horrible event and while I like Carey and love the idea of graphic novels (by the way they should put the novels on graphic audio. For those that havent check out Civil War in that format, its like a movie in your ears) I really dislike that this ridiculous story keeps coming up. Cant they act like it never happened, lol. Plus if its an "original" story/graphic novel, why does it have to "spin" out of anything. Im not sure about this one

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Am I the only one disappointed that tbos book is supposed to be "spinning out of" BOTA? That was a horrible event and while I like Carey and love the idea of graphic novels (by the way they should put the novels on graphic audio. For those that havent check out Civil War in that format, its like a movie in your ears) I really dislike that this ridiculous story keeps coming up. Cant they act like it never happened, lol. Plus if its an "original" story/graphic novel, why does it have to "spin" out of anything. Im not sure about this one

I think it has more to do with uncanny avengers how the mutants were teleported away in the coming uncanny avengers 15: Rapture

Well that untold story how the mutants were gone and where did they go?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

on it like a car bonnet

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bender agrees with the mutants.

No Caption Provided

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit, I was hoping for the X-men mythos to be teleported out of existence guess I'll have to settle for Decimation as my revenge for the Heroes Reborn garbage and Rogues death. Pleases my heart that another X-men member is still dead.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Xavier, lost Rogue but got Nightcrawler back. It's like some weird Red Rover game that never ends.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mercy_

@lykopis said:

Lost Xavier, lost Rogue but got Nightcrawler back. It's like some weird Red Rover game that never ends.

There's obviously a quote of mutants allowed alive at a time. It's the clear answer.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I thought the solicits said it was from BOTA. Especially with teen jean and all being in it. I still cant get over why the O5 are here

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Dammit, I was hoping for the X-men mythos to be teleported out of existence guess I'll have to settle for Decimation as my revenge for the Heroes Reborn garbage and Rogues death. Pleases my heart that another X-men member is still dead.

hahaha

why would you even think that would happen?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was interesting:

But, Carey says, there will also be a mix of familiar heroes and villains — plus one canonical character who hasn't been around for a while "who comes late to the scene but changes everything in a single panel" — in the story that forces the X-Men to choose sides and positions.

I'm calling it now its Angela becuase marvel keeps saying there is going to be a OMG moment with her

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds stupid.

"There are times in this story when it seems as though there isn't any right thing to do — and when the different ideals and personalities of the X-Men threaten to split them apart," Carey explains.

heroes fighting heroes? Where haven't I've seen this before? Rolls eyes

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am definitely interested.

"Carey similarly set out for something deeper than good old superhero fisticuffs in No More Humans. The best X-Men stories for him have had a dimension of moral ambivalence, and the core situation in his story is either a heaven-sent opportunity after decades of being put down or the biggest existential crisis ever."

Even more interested.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

W

This sounds stupid.

heroes fighting heroes? Where haven't I've seen this before? Rolls eyes

well we know wolverine is going there first then cyclops shows up and let the screaming match begin

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I hope he does something interesting with Mystique, other than killing her or making her senselessly evil. These days she's infiltrating SHIELD, she's a member of the Hellfire Club's faculty (?), she's got all these master plans that never formulate...it's all wacky. She used to be like Magneto, it was always a guessing game of "Whose side will she fall on?" whereas now she's only around for Wolverine to gut in the stomach occasionally.

Also, in what whacked out future would Mystique have Wolverine's child?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

I hope he does something interesting with Mystique, other than killing her or making her senselessly evil. These days she's infiltrating SHIELD, she's a member of the Hellfire Club's faculty (?), she's got all these master plans that never formulate...it's all wacky. She used to be like Magneto, it was always a guessing game of "Whose side will she fall on?" whereas now she's only around for Wolverine to gut in the stomach occasionally.

Also, in what whacked out future would Mystique have Wolverine's child?

I know i dont get it either, its a game of wait and see