#1 Posted by DRUDOX19 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Well wolverine is the main guy yet again with X Men Days of Future Past but I was watching clevver news and they brought up how the writer said wolverine is the most popular and he makes sense to go back in time then kitty sense his consciousness is going back in time. Only he would be alive at the time of Xavier and Eric's time in 1973. But here is my problem, so we can't send kitty back in time but we have the youngest summers brother happen to be in the early 60s. Wow fox just WOW

#2 Posted by dbatdog (541 posts) - - Show Bio

its marvel, that's what they do, they just want your money.

#3 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

This really grinds my gears. Im pretty much sick of the Wolverine-centric Xmen films, and I was really excited to see Ellen Paige lead a movie as Kitty. IMO, theres only been 1 good Xmen movie, and it coincidentally didnt feature Wolverine at all.

#4 Edited by HumanRocket (8174 posts) - - Show Bio

@drudox19: Well we never seen Alex in an of the X films other than the Origins film. And since you said you watched the clevver movies video remember they did say that film makers don't stick to what the comics have established. So in this case we may see that Alex is the older brother and Scott was the younger. The X-men films don't have great continuity so I'm expecting the film maker to use the chance with time travel to re write some things that happened in the previous films (Last Stand.).

#5 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@drudox19 said:

Well wolverine is the main guy yet again with X Men Days of Future Past but I was watching clevver news and they brought up how the writer said wolverine is the most popular and he makes sense to go back in time then kitty sense his consciousness is going back in time. Only he would be alive at the time of Xavier and Eric's time in 1973. But here is my problem, so we can't send kitty back in time but we have the youngest summers brother happen to be in the early 60s. Wow fox just WOW

Erik. With a K.

And please try using some more punctuation next time, your post was kind of hard to read.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

@drudox19 said:

I dunno, the original Days of Future Past story is one of my favorite X-men stories, and Kitty is my (at least second) favorite X-man, but somehow it still doesn't bother me.

It's not like it would have been like the original anyway, and I might yet really enjoy this movie if I can keep myself from judging it based on what it's not.

(oh, and I think the implication in ':First Class was that, in this version, Havok is actually Cyclops' father. It sounds kind of weird, but only because we know the difference)

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (42355 posts) - - Show Bio

Money talks, bullsh%t walks.

#8 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, stop complaining and just go see the movie like you know you will.

#9 Posted by gor724 (827 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the business get over it. To quote @fallschirmjager "The studios job isn't to stay true to the comics, it's to make a good movie" People need to let go and enjoy things how they are. Wolverine makes a profit, simple as that. If your not happy, don't see the movie (even though you will anyway)

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4573 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Wolverine08 (42355 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Money talks, bullsh%t walks.

by bullsh%t, are you referring to Claremont and Byrne's seminal masterpiece, to Kitty Pryde, or to Ellen Paige?

because I have to respectfully disagree on all counts.

(still admire your moxxy, though)

My post was a metaphor for the idea that Wolverine does what he does, and haters just going to have to hate :D

#12 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17552 posts) - - Show Bio

@gor724 said:

It's the business get over it. To quote @fallschirmjager "The studios job isn't to stay true to the comics, it's to make a good movie" People need to let go and enjoy things how they are. Wolverine makes a profit, simple as that. If your not happy, don't see the movie (even though you will anyway)

Its true. Even if as comic fans we don't like it.

Wolverine is more popular that Kitty. He always will be and he has proven he can make money.

If they want to take inspiration from DOFP and make a movie, they can. But its just inspiration, not a panel-by-panel adaptation.

#13 Posted by patrat18 (9772 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup Wolverines popularity will always prevail over other characters.

#14 Posted by MN_Logan (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine is the only character that matters anymore. Remember that time when they made Wolverine the main character of a movie in X-Men the last stand and that went SO well that they gave him two other movies? That movie and the other two Wolverine movies were WAY better and deeper than the first two movies and First Class.

Right guys?

Right?

...guys?

#15 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's something to consider: Wolverine isn't even making them that much money. In fact, First Class made more domestically than The Wolverine did, and First Class had no Wolverine at all.

Are you telling me Marvel's all time most popular franchise, the X-Men, can't even do as well as say Iron Man at theaters? And with First Class being an actually really good film outperforming The Wolverine domestically, doesn't that tell you that maybe they should just focus on good storytelling and not rubbing Wolverine in our faces. And then if Wolverine is a main character, not the main character, in a very well done movie, wont they make EVEN more money?

X-Men should be an easy sell, it has been for comics and tv for decades! Every X-Men movie should be as exciting as the Avengers, but with a lot more "human" characters, and traditionally more popular characters.

I think its a matter of time before studios give up on Singer and Wolverine.

#16 Edited by bigfoot09 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 @Fallschirmjager @gor724: well thts jst crock... are u sayin tht the x-men movies wouldn't b successful if wolverine was the main character? I am complaining but yes I will go see the movie lol Jst cuz x-men are my favorite team! But do u seriously think its not bull tht they put allll the attention on him and ignore the rest of the team? Its not even an x-men movie... its a "wolverine ft the x-men........ when needed" movie..... which btw the movies have been.... there not needed very often lol. I get he's the most popular but tht doesnt mean tht they should shaft the x-men to the xtent tht they have... it pathetic really. They can focus on him but still make the otha members useful and interesting, cant they? Sure they can! Look at the avengers! Iron man is marvels main man but they still managed to focus on ironman more than the others cuz he was in the middle of everythng pretty much but at the same time they didnt ignore the otha characters but actually focused on them too! Thor had a good role and was shown flyin around, kickin ass, usin his powers and was portrayed as being strong and useful and was in the middle of everythng as well.... hulk.... was portrayed good and had a good size role and also kicked ass and wasnt jst in the back ground doin nothn... cap America was portrayed good and was fightin and involved... hell, even black widow and hawkeye had a decently size role and there not really even part of the avengers (u get wat I mean lol). Hell they got more screen time than cyclops and collosus combined and thts sad... really sad lol... the point im tryin to make is jst cuz iron man is the most popular they still focused on ALLLL the characters and let them all shine imstead of jst pushin all them to baxk ground and only let iron man shine and get all the action... they were all portrayed more like their comic book counter parts and it was actually a team movie and they wrked tgether.. but the x-men like I said they didnt focus on them harsly at all... they were all pushed back for wolverine and messed up almost all there characters..... besides wolverine of course! Cyclops had no screen time and is spose to be the leader of the x-men and a good tactical leader and fighter but watching the movies u got none of tht! He did pretty much nothn the whole rime and was never seen! He didnt even have an actual fight scene (minus him bein mind controlled and attackin jean)... o im sry lets not forget the 30sec fight scene when he knock out a guard and got knocked out by lady deathstrike... but really he wasnt seen and did pretty much nothn... and we have Storm! We all kno storm is the most powerful outta the line up of x-men in the movies but yet she was portrayed weak and not powerful! I mean she got her ass kocked by toad... really? Not only tht but she didnt have a voice and didnt fight or fly.. we all kno shes a fighter and fliesand the x-men respect and listen to her and shes the co leader... but they didmt show none of tht! Its like they jst hired her for eye candy and to stand there doin nnothn. It took her eyes like 2min to turn to white and anotha 2min for her power to actually start and cme down... for the amount of time tht took sabertooth coulda jst snapped her neck but instead he jst stood there lookin up at the cool light show im the sky and then let it hit him throwin him througha wall lol. The only good showin she had was the tornado scene but otha than tht didn do nothn and wasnt involved in any action... (the toad scene was cool tho when she floated out the elevator blastin him). Then theres rogue............ do I really need to xplain how useless and uneedes her character was? She literally did nothing.... I mean nothing!! She has no feats besides crying ery movie and being annoying... why the hell did they put her in the movie if she was jst gna do nothn and amount to nothn.... shes not even a useful member of the team and brings nothn to the team in the movie... jst a weak ass lol... collosus! Another one tht was n allbthe movies but had screen time of about 3min total.... again same with rogue... why are thwy gna put these characters in if there jst gna have them do nothin!? He also has no feats... there jst ruining the characters for us cuz like I said... there bringn them in and shovin them to the back and lettin wolverine have all the screen time and developin his character only.. wat about cyclops development cyz right now hes pathetic.. well actually dead. Storms development.. shes weak aswell and has barely dne nothn.. rogue and collosus as I stated before were usless and brought nothn to the team and have absolutely no feats... iceman was boring and didnt do nothn either.. only fight scene he had was n 3rd movie with the end result bein in the lame fake ass ice form... tht was it and he also was n all 3 movies... jean..... 1st movie weak as hell and boring and didnt do nothn 2nd got developed (for the storyline) if they wernt doin the pheonix arc she wouldnt of been developed at all.. jst look at the otha x-men lol true story! Mystique was badass but thts jst cuz she was a villain... otha wise she woulda been lame too! Beast and nightcrawler.... BADASS I must say lol... but those were the only 2! Nome of them were portrayed even close to their comic book counter part besides *supriiiisseee* wolverine! None of them did anything or really got im action besides wolverine.... and to top tht off... it wasnt really a team superhero movie! Jst a "wolverine and company movie"... and like I said all the avengers were focused on and were in the ligjt and action and wasnt pushed back to do nothng besides watch on the sidelines for iron man to do everythng... they were all kick ass and written good! So if avengers can do this and prove to b one of the most successful movies ever.... are u really saying tht fox cant give us the same respect to all the x-men characters in the movie and still b kickass! I mean I like wolverine as much as the next guy but damn lol... and sry if I have lots of spellin mistakes... typed all this on my phne haha my fingers are crampin!

#17 Edited by Wolverine08 (42355 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's something to consider: Wolverine isn't even making them that much money. In fact, First Class made more domestically than The Wolverine did, and First Class had no Wolverine at all.

Are you telling me Marvel's all time most popular franchise, the X-Men, can't even do as well as say Iron Man at theaters? And with First Class being an actually really good film outperforming The Wolverine domestically, doesn't that tell you that maybe they should just focus on good storytelling and not rubbing Wolverine in our faces. And then if Wolverine is a main character, not the main character, in a very well done movie, wont they make EVEN more money?

X-Men should be an easy sell, it has been for comics and tv for decades! Every X-Men movie should be as exciting as the Avengers, but with a lot more "human" characters, and traditionally more popular characters.

I think its a matter of time before studios give up on Singer and Wolverine.

No one on the X-Men beside Wolverine are traditionally more popular than the Avengers. I see the point of your post, but that statement was just wrong.

#18 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@drudox19 said:

I dunno, the original Days of Future Past story is one of my favorite X-men stories, and Kitty is my (at least second) favorite X-man, but somehow it still doesn't bother me.

It's not like it would have been like the original anyway, and I might yet really enjoy this movie if I can keep myself from judging it based on what it's not.

(oh, and I think the implication in ':First Class was that, in this version, Havok is actually Cyclops' father. It sounds kind of weird, but only because we know the difference)

Meh, stop complaining and just go see the movie like you know you will.

Basically, I agree with all of this. Even though part of me still wished that it was Kitty who was the main character in this movie just so the X-Men movies could focus on someone else besides Wolverine, another part of me knows that movies rarely stay faithful to their source material and all I could wish for in this movie is for the story to be good.

#19 Posted by darkbeam (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: actually X-Men was more popular then the Avengers into their movie came out.

#20 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: As a team as a whole, the X-Men were traditionally more popular/sold better than the Avengers, up until the movie came out. Through most of the 90s the X-Men had the best selling books of all.

And before the movie no one cared about Iron Man, Hawkeye, or Black Widow. I dont think Thor was that popular either. Cap has always had icon status.

Anyway, The Amazing Spider-Man made 350 Mil MORE than the last Wolverine movie, that is a terrible sign for one of Marvel's "Trinity" of characters. I, like most people I think, am pretty much over reboots, but I have to say, a totally new X-Universe, with a totally new cast and director, completely unrelated to any other X-Movie before could easily become of the most profitable comic book movies.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (42355 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: As a team as a whole, the X-Men were traditionally more popular/sold better than the Avengers, up until the movie came out. Through most of the 90s the X-Men had the best selling books of all.

And before the movie no one cared about Iron Man, Hawkeye, or Black Widow. I dont think Thor was that popular either. Cap has always had icon status.

Anyway, The Amazing Spider-Man made 350 Mil MORE than the last Wolverine movie, that is a terrible sign for one of Marvel's "Trinity" of characters. I, like most people I think, am pretty much over reboots, but I have to say, a totally new X-Universe, with a totally new cast and director, completely unrelated to any other X-Movie before could easily become of the most profitable comic book movies.

Ah, thought you were talking individually at first. And you have a pretty good point with the reboot thing. Reboots with no dragging history are pretty hot these days.

#22 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

@dbatdog said:

its marvel, that's what they do, they just want your money.

it's not really Marvel, but... yeah.

(+)

@drudox19 said:

It is a alternate universe. People love to overlook the idea of this being a alternate universe and not a representation of the current canon.

#23 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a alternate universe. People love to overlook the idea of this being a alternate universe and not a representation of the current canon.

exactly! People don't have these kinds of complaints about the Ultimate comics, or any of the cartoon series, or the comics based on the cartoon series. I just don't get the difference, it's just another version.

#24 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: That's exactly how I see it too, it makes it more interesting. In this universe Scotts dad is Havoc. Nobody complained about Wolverine having Jimmy Hudson as a son instead of Daken. Nobody complained about Superman being from Russia. Nobody complained about Creed being a hero. Why? Alternate Universe.

but whatever, fans loves to hate and will watch, buy, or play something just to talk trash about it.

(+)

#25 Edited by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

exactly! People don't have these kinds of complaints about the Ultimate comics, or any of the cartoon series, or the comics based on the cartoon series. I just don't get the difference, it's just another version.

That's because the ultimate comics are comics and therefore have a viable alternative in the original canon comics. There is no original canon alternative to the movies. If the movies don't represent the current canon then why do DOFP at all? All the other movies got along OK being loosely based on current canon however this one has the balls to name itself DOFP and it's not DOFP in the slightest.

#26 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

@skypilotbinky: That's because the ultimate comics are comics and therefore have a viable alternative in the original canon comics.

Now,... What is DOFP originally about? Terrible future? Sending a mutants mind back to stop an assassination so that the terrible future never comes to existance... right?

(+)

#27 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

you really think kitty pryde would carry her own movie? come on now man.

im sure if it was cyclops rouge gambit nightcrawler everyone would still whine

#28 Edited by patrat18 (9772 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

She has the entire X-men behind her. Stick to the comics not the money.

#29 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

@tazzmission said:

@patrat18 said:

id like to point out this film takes place in the 60's and 70's so none of the xmen we know of exist yet other than wolverine so it would make perfect sense as to why he go's back seeing as he hasnt aged in what 50 years or more

#30 Posted by patrat18 (9772 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

@tazzmission said:

@patrat18 said:

id like to point out this film takes place in the 60's and 70's so none of the xmen we know of exist yet other than wolverine so it would make perfect sense as to why he go's back seeing as he hasnt aged in what 50 years or more

Let me ask you a question. Was Wolverine the main character in X men first class? No. And that film did just fine. Wolverine doesn't have to be the main character in every X men movie for it to succeed.

#31 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

That's because the ultimate comics are comics and therefore have a viable alternative in the original canon comics. There is no original canon alternative to the movies. If the movies don't represent the current canon then why do DOFP at all? All the other movies got along OK being loosely based on current canon however this one has the balls to name itself DOFP and it's not DOFP in the slightest.

It'll still probably be better than this one.

#32 Posted by xmenfallen (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the story of DOFP but i was already expecting them to change some things in the story. We need to remember that IT IS VERY HARD TO COPY WHATS IN THE COMICS/BOOKS TO A MOVIE. Making movies is BUSINESS. I'm a business student and i know that there are a lot of things going on in making a movie like this. Stuff like Production budget, cost cutting and other stuff. Their MAIN purpose is to GAIN LOTS OF MONEY and then entertain. I also know that they dont really pay attention to us (comic readers) because we are only a small percent on their potential market. They concentrate more on the NORMAL VIEWERS which dont know anything about the comics and they take up a whole lot of their market.

I thought the first trailer of DOFP was pretty AMAZING it actually looks good.

#33 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

@tazzmission said:

@patrat18 said:

@tazzmission said:

@patrat18 said:

Let me ask you a question. Was Wolverine the main character in X men first class? No. And that film did just fine. Wolverine doesn't have to be the main character in every X men movie for it to succeed.

magneto and prof.x are more well known than kitty f*cking pryde. just because it works in a comic dosent mean it will always work as a movie. i really wish you would understand that that as well as 90% of the fanbase

#34 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1651 posts) - - Show Bio

For the purposes of the movie, someone being sent back to a time they already exist in, it works. Kitty doesn't exist yet, shrug. Also didn't care for her in X3 so i'm not really bummed about it. She's not really established enough in the movieverse for me to see it happening.

#35 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11621 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean it makes perfect sense why Wolverine was chosen. Other than that Wolverine makes money…

In the comic story, it was the future traveling into the present. In the movie it's the present traveling into the past.

If Kitty traveled into the the past, she would be negative 20 years old and wouldn't exist. Wolverine was the only person who could have mentally traveled back in time and still be the same age since he hasn't aged from then to now. The only other candidate would have been Beast but he wasn't a full fledged X-Man in the trilogy and Havok, at the point DOFP takes place, is an old man.

People just find things to complain about without accepting WHY they made the decision.

#36 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: Id have preferred it if they had changed the "mentally traveling to the past aspect" instead of the "Kitty is the main character aspect". Just send her back in time for real. If youre going t change something, make it something really insignificant.

#37 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: Id have preferred it if they had changed the "mentally traveling to the past aspect" instead of the "Kitty is the main character aspect". Just send her back in time for real. If youre going t change something, make it something really insignificant.

eh i like the past idea. makes more sense.

#38 Posted by numi (237 posts) - - Show Bio

I suspect the people in charge at Fox are essentially cowards who just want to bet on something that's already made money, Hugh Jackman. Expect more and more films starring "Wolverine" + whoever until they drive it into the ground or he stops drawing enough for them to make an obscene profit on each movie.

My fondest wish is that the movie rights to the X-men go back to Marvel so Disney can take a crack at the franchise... though I know it won't happen.

#39 Posted by patrat18 (9772 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18 said:

@tazzmission said:

@patrat18 said:

@tazzmission said:

@patrat18 said:

magneto and prof.x are more well known than kitty f*cking pryde. just because it works in a comic dosent mean it will always work as a movie. i really wish you would understand that that as well as 90% of the fanbase

It's not her movie, she still has the entire X men behind her. Instead we get more Wolverine who's in what 7 movies? No comic book movie is exactly like the comics, we accepted that long ago.

#40 Posted by HAWK2916 (1754 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand the use of Wolverine though I do get tired of every movie being about him. I just hope they nail it with this movie and it gets everyone talking about and buying the xmen again. In all honesty I think Im a little upset that I havent heard any mention of Rachel Grey for this movie. Im slightly more bummed about that over the Wolverine thing though I will have to look past that because its hard sometimes to seperate the movies and the comics. For me as long as its not the utter travesty that X3 was... I will be happy. By the way, anybody else feel like the perfect fit for the xmen is the crew that did Dark Knight? I dunno maybe its just me but it seems like a hand n glove thing.

#41 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean it makes perfect sense why Wolverine was chosen. Other than that Wolverine makes money…

In the comic story, it was the future traveling into the present. In the movie it's the present traveling into the past.

If Kitty traveled into the the past, she would be negative 20 years old and wouldn't exist. Wolverine was the only person who could have mentally traveled back in time and still be the same age since he hasn't aged from then to now. The only other candidate would have been Beast but he wasn't a full fledged X-Man in the trilogy and Havok, at the point DOFP takes place, is an old man.

People just find things to complain about without accepting WHY they made the decision.

This is the main reason why Kitty can't the one who travels in time. Wolverine is the only one who existed at the same time Xavier and Magneto existed, so there was no way they could use Kitty unless she was born when Xavier and Magneto were young.

#42 Edited by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@skypilotbinky: That's because the ultimate comics are comics and therefore have a viable alternative in the original canon comics.

Now,... What is DOFP originally about? Terrible future? Sending a mutants mind back to stop an assassination so that the terrible future never comes to existance... right?

(+)

Wow you got me there. Except you don't. Time travel and dystopian future aren't really specific enough criteria to stamp "DOFP" on the title. If you can stamp DOFP on that loose plot critieria then you could call Terminator 1 and 2, 12 Monkeys, Men In Black 3, Austin Powers, Bill and Ted, Back to the Future 3, Timecop etc etc DOFP.

Hell that criteria also describes Age of Apocalypse which ironically has more to do with this movie than DOFP. It involves mutants from the present going back in time (like in this movie) rather than people coming to the present from the future (actual DOFP). It also has Blink and Bishop who were in AOA but not in DOFP.

#43 Edited by Crimsonlord53 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Let us not forget that "kitty" is also a young woman and that fact alone means the character could never sell/lead the movie. They could have picked anyone else besides wolverine beast for example and I would have forked over the 15 bucks to see it. Now because I'm a little wolverine burnt out I'm not so sure.