Will Bryan Singer's scandal impact the X-films?

• 53 results
poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

So all of us by know that Bryan Singer is gay. Cool. But apparently recently he was just charged for doing things with a 17 year old boy-- back in 2009... At least that's the article what my article read when I was on the plane.

Think this scandal will hurt the X-films? Or do we have so much star power and X-hype that it will barely make a ripple?

(Personally, Bryan Singer could be an axe-murderer just as long as the X-films are done justice, imo. lol)

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't do anything because no one except people on the internet will know about it, and most people here won't care because its not like it was a 12 year old boy.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I don't think that it would have much impact on the X-Men films since in the end of the day, the X-Men is just a franchise and any other director could come in and take over the franchise if things go badly for Bryan Singer.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot said:

It won't do anything because no one except people on the internet will know about it, and most people here won't care because its not like it was a 12 year old boy.

Right because only then would the rape be unacceptable...

#areyouf***ingseriousbro?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's innocent until proven guilty, isn't how these things are meant to work?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

If the kid was 17 it wasn't really rape, not like the kid can't fight back... guy probably didn't even know he was underage... been five years... Hollywood just wants a scandal but I don't see this one going far.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I don't think it'll affect it one bit. Now, if it were someone like Hugh Jackman, the face of the cinematic X-Men, then I think it would.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

yes it is.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

If the kid was 17 it wasn't really rape, not like the kid can't fight back... guy probably didn't even know he was underage... been five years... Hollywood just wants a scandal but I don't see this one going far.

What? Did you read the description of what happened? It was real rape (not statutory), IFthe events proceeded as the plaintiff suggests.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joygirl
@deaditegonzo said:

@joygirl said:

What? Did you read the description of what happened? It was real rape (not statutory), IFthe events proceeded as the plaintiff suggests.

Ooooooh, okay. No I didn't read the description, I figured it was statutory like 97% of rape involving people in their late teens tends to be.

If he actually raped the poor guy then f*** him, let me make the X-films instead, I promise they'll be better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think many people even know about it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Yeah, if it had just been statutory, and the guy was 17 (which is legal in most states), id honestly call the whole case a scam, but if what Egan claims happened actually happened, then Singer is pretty scummy.

One thing for me though, ive heard other people say they wished the names of the accused were kept secret until the person was found guilty, and I definitely agree, because even if Singer wins, his rep is tarnished. And Fox already seems to have ditched him.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't in 2009, it was in the 1990's. This is some washed-up thirtysomething douchebag trying to get paid.......scapegoating Singer because of his sexual preference. Really? You gonna wait 20 years to say something? Oh, wait, COINCIDENTALLY, Singer is directing probably the biggest superpowered movie, EVER......I'm sure that has Nothing to do with it.

Spare me.......really.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It shouldn't if it isn't true.

If it is true, somebody is in need of some jail time.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dude is suing him for money and not for the crime. There IS NO crime, no arrest. The statute of limitations is LONG past.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakeN7

@joygirl: You mean it wasn't pedophilia? How does age affect the act of being raped? You know, forcibly sodomized?

EDIT: Just read the comment where you said you thought it was stat rape. Lol, silly Joy.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@joygirl: You mean it wasn't pedophilia? How does age affect the act of being raped? You know, forcibly sodomized?

It doesn't. Look up, I have already been corrected. I had the wrong idea.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I know, I read further down and edited my comment.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By goobot

@jaken7 said:

@goobot said:

When i first read it i thought it was just normal sex but with an underaged person, so i thought it was just him not knowing it was a 17 year old which they still call rape stupidly.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot said:

@jaken7 said:

@goobot said:

When i first read it i thought it was just normal sex but with an underaged person, so i thought it was just him not knowing it was a 17 year old which they still call rape stupidly.

Ah, another one who thought it was just stat rape. Gotcha. Carry on then...

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@goobot said:

@jaken7 said:

@goobot said:

Ah, another one who thought it was just stat rape. Gotcha. Carry on then...

Some people will believe anything they read. Of course the dude's gonna say he was forced (TWENTY YEARS LATER!). There is a statute of limitations on f^^^king someone.....but NO statute for f^^^king someone outta their MONEY!

Does anyone actually believe this drivel? apply LOGIC, people.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon: Singer has been accused of this type of thing before.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Frozon

@jaken7 said:

@frozon: Singer has been accused of this type of thing before.

Because he's GAY. Easy target.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon: You sound like an expert on this. You must have been there back in 1998. Thanks for enlightening us all...

I wonder why there aren't many other openly gay celebrities accused of forcibly sodomizing a minor?

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

@frozon said:

It wasn't in 2009, it was in the 1990's. This is some washed-up thirtysomething douchebag trying to get paid.......scapegoating Singer because of his sexual preference. Really? You gonna wait 20 years to say something? Oh, wait, COINCIDENTALLY, Singer is directing probably the biggest superpowered movie, EVER......I'm sure that has Nothing to do with it.

Spare me.......really.

This...

The guy is thirty something, it happened in the 90s, and he's suing for money not the crime... It's a scam!

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@frozon: You sound like an expert on this. You must have been there back in 1998. Thanks for enlightening us all...

I wonder why there aren't many other openly gay celebrities accused of forcibly sodomizing a minor?

No need to get snippy. obviously I wasn't there. Neither were you. IF Singer was accused of this type of thing before (and I don't remember that), why the hell didn't this alleged "victim" step forward THEN? why wait nearly twenty freakin years?

Also, in America, we presume someone is INNOCENT until proven guilty.

and, just a little sidebar, the whole mutant storyline, from the moment of its inception, is a euphemism for discrimination......racism, sexism, and HOMOPHOBIA.....Stan Lee has said as much.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon said:

@jaken7 said:

No need to get snippy. obviously I wasn't there. Neither were you. IF Singer was accused of this type of thing before (and I don't remember that), why the hell didn't this alleged "victim" step forward THEN? why wait nearly twenty freakin years?

The first allegations arose a few months prior to when Egan claims he was raped (1999).

However, don't assume you know anything about me. There are two giant holes in the accusation, and the timing is one of them. I haven't picked a side, I'm just defending the fact that none of us actually know. You screaming at people for thinking anything other than "he's innocent" is ridiculous,

I'm aware. I live here.

and, just a little sidebar, the whole mutant storyline, from the moment of its inception, is a euphemism for discrimination......racism, sexism, and HOMOPHOBIA.....Stan Lee has said as much.

Great. Did you know lemons are yellow?

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@frozon said:

@jaken7 said:

The first allegations arose a few months prior to when Egan claims he was raped (1999).

However, don't assume you know anything about me. There are two giant holes in the accusation, and the timing is one of them. I haven't picked a side, I'm just defending the fact that none of us actually know. You screaming at people for thinking anything other than "he's innocent" is ridiculous,

I'm aware. I live here.

Great. Did you know lemons are yellow?

THAT was actually my point all along.....there are holes in the story. the TIMING being the biggest. not to mention one does not usually lavish gifts upon people and fly them around the world in order to forcibly rape them. another is that, in Many states, 17 is actually a legal age of consent....my entire point is that it is all about money. period. whether or not it actually happened is almost irrelevant, really. This dude is looking to get PAID. Big-time. Screaming at people wasn't my intention.

The lemon comment? really? can we stop this before it gets any sillier? We're not in kindergarten.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As horrible as rape is... waiting to talk about something a decade later is bull. I've been in a situation as such and it hurt to talk about it but I didn't wait a decade later-- It was later the same afternoon.

This has too many holes in it-- and besides, isn't Singer with an old guy anyways???

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#31  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@the_tree: I agree that if it was one of the main actors like Hugh Jackman or Patrick Stewart that was involved in this scandal, then it would have made a bigger impact on the movie since many viewers would be seeing the movie for the actors also.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And no this scandal will not hurt or impact the x men films.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By HumanRocket

This.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RustyRoy

This won't affect the movie too much, he's already been distanced from all the promotions of the movie. And to be honest I think neither side is completely innocent, why would the guy come out after 20 years?

BlackBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a scandalous lol. I don't think it will impact the x-films. it will prob affect his career. Well, I don't know, only if he guilty.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I never cared for Bryan Singer and if this is all true then he should not get the privilege to make more movies. Especially the last X-movie. Maybe Matthew Vaughn can come back for Apocalypse. Or someone that cares about the X-men.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cattlebattle

I never cared for Bryan Singer and if this is all true then he should not get the privilege to make more movies. Especially the last X-movie. Maybe Matthew Vaughn can come back for Apocalypse. Or someone that cares about the X-men.

Bryan Singer does care about the X-Men. Otherwise, he wouldn't have come back to the franchise.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

I pasted this for you cause it was meant to tell you this.

Some people will believe anything they read. Of course the dude's gonna say he was forced (TWENTY YEARS LATER!). IF Singer was accused of this type of thing before, why the hell didn't this alleged "victim" step forward THEN? why wait nearly twenty freakin years? Really? You gonna wait 20 years to say something?

Not to mention one does not usually lavish gifts upon people and fly them around the world in order to forcibly rape them. another is that, in Many states, 17 is actually a legal age of consent....my entire point is that it is all about money. period. This dude is some washed-up thirtysomething douchebag who is looking to get PAID. Big-time.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon said:

Some people will believe anything they read. Of course the dude's gonna say he was forced (TWENTY YEARS LATER!). IF Singer was accused of this type of thing before, why the hell didn't this alleged "victim" step forward THEN? why wait nearly twenty freakin years? Really? You gonna wait 20 years to say something?

Not to mention one does not usually lavish gifts upon people and fly them around the world in order to forcibly rape them. another is that, in Many states, 17 is actually a legal age of consent....my entire point is that it is all about money. period. This dude is some washed-up thirtysomething douchebag who is looking to get PAID. Big-time.

It literally is about money. He is suing Bryan Singer, there is no jail time foreseeable, its a civil lawsuit.....who does that?? Who sues someone that raped them instead of wanting them to rot in jail??

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon said:

It literally is about money. He is suing Bryan Singer, there is no jail time foreseeable, its a civil lawsuit.....who does that?? Who sues someone that raped them instead of wanting them to rot in jail??

That was actually my whole point here. He's suing him for the money and not for the crime. What a douchebag. Trying to ruin Singer's life after he's directing the biggest superpowered movie, EVER. And even if it's true......I want him to direct the next x men film, which is the Apocalypse I believe. He directed x men 1 and 2 and it was better than what Brett Ratner directed, which was x3 and it was garbage.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to look at these things very closely and certain types like Terry Richardson or Woody Allen I feel have very little to defend their innocence but in this case, I don't think Bryan Singer is guilty.

1. The first complaint the guy suing filed with the FBI (against another offender) didn't include Bryan Singer during the events of the alleged rape. The FBI has no reason to protect Singer and made a statement about how that evidence would not be dismissed.
  2. Bryan Singer says he has documentation to prove he was not even in the state during the time of the incident and I think Fox Studios probably has meticulous proof of that.
  3. The first suit filed against Singer in the 90's involving underage boys was dismissed due to lack of evidence and could've easily been used as ammunition for this case.
  4. Bryan Singer has a reputation for being into "twinks" which doesn't necessarily mean underage guys, just young and nubile boyish types.
  5. Bryan Singer has infamously wild parties....like every other director, producer, and actor in town.
  6. Singer's legal team emphasized that an image consultant represented the accuser, an image consultant who recently guest starred on Dr. Phil...

Frankly, I see a lot of double standards in the press. Mogul bachelors who date young women hardly ever catch any heat but in Singer's case, people just assume he's a pedophile and I really do think it's because a lot of people used to habitually associate homosexuality with perversion.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Innocent until proven guilty, I don't think the movies will be impacted in the slightest

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon said:

That was actually my whole point here. He's suing him for the money and not for the crime. What a douchebag. Trying to ruin Singer's life after he's directing the biggest superpowered movie, EVER. And even if it's true......I want him to direct the next x men film, which is the Apocalypse I believe. He directed x men 1 and 2 and it was better than what Brett Ratner directed, which was x3 and it was garbage.

I know, I just thought I would illustrate the point further seeing as some people seem to be saying things like " if he is guilty, I hope the scum rots in jail". Thats not the case, the guy just wants money from Singer, which makes the case absurdly suspicious....

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

I try to look at these things very closely and certain types like Terry Richardson or Woody Allen I feel have very little to defend their innocence but in this case, I don't think Bryan Singer is guilty.

1. The first complaint the guy suing filed with the FBI (against another offender) didn't include Bryan Singer during the events of the alleged rape. The FBI has no reason to protect Singer and made a statement about how that evidence would not be dismissed.
  2. Bryan Singer says he has documentation to prove he was not even in the state during the time of the incident and I think Fox Studios probably has meticulous proof of that.
  3. The first suit filed against Singer in the 90's involving underage boys was dismissed due to lack of evidence and could've easily been used as ammunition for this case.
  4. Bryan Singer has a reputation for being into "twinks" which doesn't necessarily mean underage guys, just young and nubile boyish types.
  5. Bryan Singer has infamously wild parties....like every other director, producer, and actor in town.
  6. Singer's legal team emphasized that an image consultant represented the accuser, an image consultant who recently guest starred on Dr. Phil...

Frankly, I see a lot of double standards in the press. Mogul bachelors who date young women hardly ever catch any heat but in Singer's case, people just assume he's a pedophile and I really do think it's because a lot of people used to habitually associate homosexuality with perversion.

Thanks for this info. This will help for those who seem not to understand the case.

@frozon said:

I know, I just thought I would illustrate the point further seeing as some people seem to be saying things like " if he is guilty, I hope the scum rots in jail". Thats not the case, the guy just wants money from Singer, which makes the case absurdly suspicious....

VERY absurdly suspicious. I do feel bad for Singer, who for being gay, became the target. I hope Singer win this case so he can be able direct the next film. I'm sure he will do fantastic cause DOFP looks awesome.

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You know you live in a rape culture when people are so quick to defend the alleged rapist, and not the alleged victim. None of us know yet who is right or wrong in this situation, or other alleged situations, but it's really gross that quite a lot of people are dismissing or criticizing the accuser before they have all the facts about this case.

I really do hope this is a false accusation, so I can just dislike Singer for his treatment of women in his movies and interest in going where the money is good instead of following his heart (like when he left the X-men for Superman). But the commentary so far about this scandal, has proven why some many people who have been sexually assaulted are afraid to come out with the truth, because no one will believe them. And given me more inclination to believe the accuser.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HexThis

@silver_raven said:

You know you live in a rape culture when people are so quick to defend the alleged rapist, and not the alleged victim. None of us know yet who is right or wrong in this situation, or other alleged situations, but it's really gross that quite a lot of people are dismissing or criticizing the accuser before they have all the facts about this case.

I really do hope this is a false accusation, so I can just dislike Singer for his treatment of women in his movies and interest in going where the money is good instead of following his heart (like when he left the X-men for Superman). But the commentary so far about this scandal, has proven why some many people who have been sexually assaulted are afraid to come out with the truth, because no one will believe them. And given me more inclination to believe the accuser.

I agree with your point about sexual abuse victims, I really had to read quite a bit before I formed an opinion on this. If Bryan Singer were or is guilty, it would be tough to take but I'd accept it. But in this case, unlike with someone like Terry Richardson or Woody Allen, I'm suspicious about a lot of the details I've learned so far about the accuser and I've really looked into it as much as I can. And what really upsets me is that it only takes ONE person falsely accusing another of rape being caught in a lie to effect every other victim who comes forward after because the ignorant will always refer back to the last liar they can think of. That's what I'm worried about because then it perpetuates this belief that people lying about rape is to be expected or a ploy for money. I was really upset about people accusing Mia Farrow of lying to get back at Woody Allen, everyone kept on saying "Innocent until proven guilty" with regards to Woody but had no problem insinuating a woman who devotes her life to helping children, particularly abused or neglected children, would lie about a molestation to spite her EX.

Also, I don't think Bryan Singer is sexist. Take a character like Jean, he made her a doctor and a pilot, he had her making repairs on the X-Jet, he even had her speaking in front of congress, he also depicted a rapport between Storm and Jean instead of solely relying on her chemistry with Scott. Then he depicted Mystique as almost being equal to Wolverine (if not better, at times) in combat, he made her nudeness a symbol of young girl's self acceptance to spite conventions of beauty and actually touched on sexism a few times in First Class as well with Emma, Moira, and Angel Salvatore. Also, of all the superhero movie directors, he features the most women in his casts and has even said he would like to garner a greater female audience, he even tried to with Superman (wherein I felt at least Lois was well-written). I've never felt as though the women in his movies are even exploited sexually and characters like Mystique or Emma appear to be in control of their sexuality, not defined by it.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rape culture?? What the f are you talking about. People are quick to defend Bryan Singer because he is being accused under outright suspicious circumstances with no evidence and its 15 years after the fact. So.....we are just supposed to defend any person that claims to have been raped no matter how shady it sounds??

It just seems like you are commenting on this to slip your opinion in about what you think of his films....in which who cares, this is a serious accusation that far exceeds whether you like his films or not.

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not like rapist, but if this guy had had Bryan Singer arrested when it happened.....if it happened, that's one thing. He should've gone to prison. But instead, he's coming up with this allegation almost 20 years later for MONEY. You can see why some people might think that's suspicious.

PiofNEPTUNE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"There are some of us, who have been raped or molested as children but said nothing because of the shame and persecution by others in the community, which then caused us not too say anything until we became full-grown Adults, only too find out at our dismay that there were many other victims before and since our ordeal. Imagine the huge guilt that you feel when you said nothing until much later, and subsequently many others suffered the same fate due too your own silence until Adulthood, just something too think about folks... we really don't know, what we really don't know" (:)

Martian81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal opinion is if this is in any way true , then I simply dont want him directing X-men Apocalypse. Whether this would be a financial or ethical decision by the studio does not matter, it would be right to get another director for that film if indeed this turned out true.