#1 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12592 posts) - - Show Bio

This is something that I've known for a while but it never really clicked until now. Joss Whedon, the man who created this amazing Astonishing X-Men run, took FOUR years to write 24 or so issues, something that should have taken 2 years (assuming each issue was released monthly, like normal). The run has seen breaks, for example, from August 2005 to February 2006. That's a little ridiculous to me but I assume there's good reason for it. So does anyone know why this happened? Thanks Viners for the help.

#2 Edited by Rickbarry (1853 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: John Cassaday. He was the only artist on the title throughout the run, but he is known for delaying books. I believe he did the same with Uncanny Avengers earlier this year. They replaced him after a few issue run. Why did they put up with it? I guess it was the sales as each issue sold quite well. I guess it's the price you pay for having him on the book. Everything is going to look amazing, but he does take his time.

#3 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: John Cassaday. He was the only artist on the title throughout the run, but he is known for delaying books. I believe he did the same with Uncanny Avengers earlier this year. They replaced him after a few issue run. Why did they put up with it? I guess it was the sales as each issue sold quite well. I guess it's the price you pay for having him on the book. Everything is going to look amazing, but he does take his time.

This... but it's enlightening to know that Marvel cares about quality... or maybe all they saw was dollar signs. Patience is everything!

#4 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@rickbarry said:

This... but it's enlightening to know that Marvel cares about quality... or maybe all they saw was dollar signs. Patience is everything!

Maybe a bit of both? They know they treat their fans to (some) quality, it pays off in the long run. TBH, I thought Uncanny Avenger's art wasn't Cassaday's finest :\

#5 Edited by Rickbarry (1853 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12592 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah okay, I see. Thanks a lot for the info! I can't believe Marvel allowed the book to go on hiatus for so long multiple times, I'm guessing Whedon really wanted Cassaday on the book rather than having a replacement artist.

#7 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, even though it did take long for the issues to come out, I definitely think it was worth the wait! That series was fantastic!

#8 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5003 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I generally refer to it as Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men.

It may have taken twice as long as most runs, but it was probably twice as good as most runs. If nothing else, it was the most consistent X-men run, in terms of quality.

There's at least an even chance that if I wasn't so fond of Cassaday's work, I may not hold this series in the esteem that I do.

#9 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

It may have taken twice as long as most runs, but it was probably twice as good as most runs. If nothing else, it was the most consistent X-men run, in terms of quality.

There's at least an even chance that if I wasn't so fond of Cassaday's work, I may not hold this series in the esteem that I do.

I agree that this run was the most consistent in terms of storytelling. There were no events interrupting the flow of the stories and this series was pretty much self contained for the most part, which is why I loved this series so much! You can tell that Cassaday put so much detail into the artwork as the characters really look realistic!

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5003 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I agree that this run was the most consistent in terms of storytelling. There were no events interrupting the flow of the stories and this series was pretty much self contained for the most part, which is why I loved this series so much! You can tell that Cassaday put so much detail into the artwork as the characters really look realistic!

it's also worth mentoining, in regards to Cassaday's pace, that he was also working on Planetary (1999-'09) the for the duration of his run on Astonishing X-Men ('04-'08).

#11 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

it's also worth mentoining, in regards to Cassaday's pace, that he was also working on Planetary (1999-'09) the for the duration of his run on Astonishing X-Men ('04-'08).

Oh yeah, I forgot that Cassaday was working on Planetary at the time.

#13 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5003 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim: his initial Uncanny Avengers arc may have been a little slow and not quite up to the standards of stuff like Astonishing X-Men or Planetary, but it just makes me wonder if maybe he felt rushed compared to some of his other gigs.

They still certainly don't look bad..

#15 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: while not bad, i guess many (myself included) expected more from Cassaday based on his credentials. you're right to say he probably was felling rushed during the course of his short stint on Uncanny Avengers. Whether Cassaday was meant to continue beyond #4, or whether it was planned that he was to only work on the opening arc, i have no idea. He does have a reputation of not being a "fast artist". And now we get to see why.

That being said, i'd take a rushed Cassaday over the likes of Greg Land any day.

Coipel did a good job on #5, and i've enjoyed Acuna's style for this book. Here's hoping McNiven fares well.

#16 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5003 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

Coipel did a good job on #5, and i've enjoyed Acuna's style for this book. Here's hoping McNiven fares well.

yeah, I always enjoy Coipel, and I always enjoy Acuna.

When is McNiven coming on?

#17 Posted by slimlim (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimlim said:

yeah, I always enjoy Coipel, and I always enjoy Acuna.

When is McNiven coming on?

if im not mistaken, its the upcoming issue