#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

In your opinion, who wrote the best and worst Colossus?

For me it's:

BEST: Claremont, Whedon and Brubaker.

WORST: Aaron

#2 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it's:

Claremont, Whedon, Scott Lobdell, and I guess Brubaker..

didn't Aaron only write him as the Phoenix?

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog said:

For me it's:

Claremont, Whedon, Scott Lobdell, and I guess Brubaker..

I think he did, although I was sure that he wrote Colossus somewhere else, but I can't really remember what issue.

#4 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I think he did, although I was sure that he wrote Colossus somewhere else, but I can't really remember what issue.

well, not to try and justify anything about Aaron or Avs.X, but if that's the only time he wrote him -when he was supposed to be out of character- I just don't know if it counts..

#5 Edited by God_Spawn (38237 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone really wrote a "bad" Colossus, tbh? I like the big Russian, but he's vanilla. His personality is just kind of stoic, calm, and peaceful with occasional joking here and there, but he can come out and be cold at times in battle. Idk. Maybe I'm brain farting, but he just seems like the character type that can be hard to screw up. I mean you can obviously write takes that make him seem better than how he is consistently, but you could have him in an entire run and not say anything aside from a few grunts here and there amidst battles and it wouldn't exactly be a "bad" take on him because of his character type. He's just very 2-dimensional in most cases I guess would be the best way to put it. He has been getting more love and depth, though, in recent years, IMO.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone really wrote a "bad" Colossus, tbh? I like the big Russian, but he's vanilla. His personality is just kind of stoic, calm, and peaceful with occasional joking here and there, but he can come out and be cold at times in battle. Idk. Maybe I'm brain farting, but he just seems like the character type that can be hard to screw up. I mean you can obviously write takes that make him seem better than how he is consistently, but you could have him in an entire run and not say anything aside from a few grunts here and there amidst battles and it wouldn't exactly be a "bad" take on him because of his character type. He's just very 2-dimensional in most cases I guess would be the best way to put it. He has been getting more love and depth, though, in recent years, IMO.

that's why I listed some best writers and no worst ones, actually, since those were the only writers that made me care one way or another if he were around.

Even Claremont's Colossus was pretty straightforward and more of a supporting character most of the time, but at least Whedon and Lobdell managed to make him central and interesting where many others haven't bothered or known what to do with the character.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this! By the way, I haven't been keeping up, but has Colossus come back in Amazing X-Men?

#8 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this! By the way, I haven't been keeping up, but has Colossus come back in Amazing X-Men?

I haven't followed been following it for a few issues, but based on this week's preview, it looks like he is.

Appropriate, considering this book seems to be about the X-men who won't stay dead; they should call it the Immortal X-Men :p

#9 Posted by God_Spawn (38237 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog: He was back a couple issues ago.

Thanks! And who do they have a good relationship with Wolverine's team or Cyclops' team? I haven't been keeping up Amazing X-men, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

#11 Posted by God_Spawn (38237 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog: I haven't really made it a priority to read Amazing X-Men. I've skimmed a few issues here and there, so I don't know what the exact terms are. I don't believe he has had any interactions with Scott's team and when ANXM just started Magik I think assumed Colossus would kill Scott when he finds out about him killing Xavier. And we know how Colossus feels about Magik or did during AvX Consequences. Magik doesn't seem to harbor any ill-will towards him given her reaction to future-Colossus. But Pete chose Logan's team and seemed happy to see everyone, so he's at least on good terms there. How he interacts with everyone else has yet to be seen.

#12 Edited by adamTRMM (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

So the culmination of this thread is almost every writer who portrays him typically is the worst writer? It makes Claremont, Gillen and Lobdell the only good ones then.

#13 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7306 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon's his worst writer by virtue of resurrection for an ineffectual role within the grand scheme of eventful things. Bringing him back for no particular reason other than to flounder fans some more with incessant KP nostalgia, and since then he's been bobbed from one writer to the next just so it's not as if he's being relegated to background detritus and seemingly doing something.

Lobdell's iteration was okay...but at best he was still just a watered down version of Claremont's construction. And imho, his arc was done post-Siege Perilous. That was interesting. In fact, i don't think Colossus the character has ever been more interesting than when he was the X-Men-amnesiac and happily indulging in his passion while having a saucy dalliance with Callisto. People seem to forget that the guy never really saw being an X-Man as a long-term thing anyways, he always had his trepidations and stipulations but only pulled through on the seeming condition that there'd be a positive impact (Lobdell got that, at least).

I don't believe it was Claremont's decision to bring him back as the antagonistic scapegoat during the Muir Island Saga, but what happened, happened. Thankfully Lobdell killed him off and then Whedon (after Morrison was declined, but i kind of like to think he would have either done something new, or tremendously horrible from a fan's perspective) decided to bring back. And he hasn't been doing much ever since.

The colossonaught period was ripe with story potential, but Gillen failed flat on his arse with that one. And what's he doing now? Aimlessly traipsing the globe within what's equally an aimless title.

#14 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7306 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopeless did a lot of good with the Domino relationship, though.

#15 Posted by AwesomePerson (732 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Claremont and Whedom...

Worst: is there a worst? I mean in the stories, he's either a supporting character or a main one, and the akin one writers did a pretty good job....

#16 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Claremont and Whedom...

Worst: is there a worst? I mean in the stories, he's either a supporting character or a main one, and the akin one writers did a pretty good job....

I agree with this.

So, there isn't a worst writer for Colossus?