Who would you like to see writing Uncanny now?

• 73 results
HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HAWK2916

So...... Now that we've had the big announcement of Bendis' departure and are still reacting to it, I thought I would pose this question about who's next. So who do you want to replace Bendis on Uncanny? Also if indeed All New is ending, what do you want to see taking its place? Maybe say....another New Mutants or Generation X or another Xfactor or Xforce type book? Or maybe All New continues as another book based on the x-students... who knows. Or maybe you would want to just drop that book completely and trim down the titles altogether. Thoughts?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Short List: Gail Simone, Grant Morrison, John Byrne, and Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (they are usually a duo)

Dream Get: Alan Moore - just to see who is left standing at the end (he doesn't typically do straightforward superhero books)

All New X-Men should focus on the members of the New Mutants and Generation X who become the new X leaders and replace the old guard.

I'd keep X-Factor around because that comic has impressed me consistently for over three creative shifts and two lineup overhauls.

I'd add a title called Hellions or Hellfire, which would basically be about villains with legitimate goals, somewhat like what happened with Superior Spiderman, but be presented in a limited issue format (i.e. three issues for one storyline, then come back for another story arc when a writer has an idea for them). Basically, while the X-Men wander around wringing their hands over their black ops teams (which they've always technically been, anyway), the villains actually get things done.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Either Mark Waid or Greg Rucka.

I also want them to cut down the books to just Uncanny, Adjectiveless, and about two other satellite books; all with competent creative teams and a clear direction.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tbh, I'm not familiar with any current decent team book writers at Marvel who I'd like to flagship the franchise....

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adamTRMM

Gillen. Since Bendis did nothing, he can get started right where he stopped before. *sigh* who am I kidding, the sh!tstorm is only about to begin.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see Gillen or David, or maybe even another Yost/Kyle title

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yost is doing a pretty good job on Amazing X-men. He does a wonderful job with the characterization as well as dividing necessary panel time between each member of the team. I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of the Juggernaut arc currently going on. so I wouldn't mind seeing him take over once Bendis is out of the picture. Also a part of me is bias because I love his Storm lol :P I also wouldn't mind seeing Morrison make a return. He had a very mature yet eccentric feel to his X-men, which I feel the X-men should be at this point of their careers. However when in doubt you can never go wrong with Claremont.

Avatar image for violet_davenport
Violet_Davenport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Violet_Davenport

I'd like to see Gillen, but I don't think it's going to happen. He left Iron Man in order to write Darth Vader because his schedule didn't allow for both IIRC. And now with WicDiv and the upcoming volume of Phonogram, I really don't see him having the time to be able to dedicate to not only writing a twice-monthly title, but for being the creative director for the entire X-Men family of books, which I assume whoever they bring on to replace Bendis will be.

Some dream world choices, all factors allowing:

• Gail Simone
  • Peter David!!!
  • Greg Rucka
  • Craig Kyle/Chris Yost
adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Gillen, but I don't think it's going to happen. He left Iron Man in order to write Darth Vader because his schedule didn't allow for both IIRC.

Oh no, you just crushed me :(

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@violet_davenport said:

I'd like to see Gillen, but I don't think it's going to happen. He left Iron Man in order to write Darth Vader because his schedule didn't allow for both IIRC.

Oh no, you just crushed me :(

Right?! Me too :(

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

Right?! Me too :(

I'd like Peter David as well, also Straczynski.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By poisonfleur

Uncanny would be great under the pen of... Yost, Wood, Kyle, or...

if Brian K. Vaughn brushed up on his X-History, I KNOW HE WOULD DO WONDERS TO THE SERIES.

Overall... I just want a consistent story with innovating plot and original justice to our beloved characters.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me personally I'm a bit torn as to who I would like to see on this title. So here's my so-called list of candidates:

Kurt Busiek lol is he still writing. This was a dream a long time ago but now?? And i'll say the same with just bringing Whedon back- huge pipe dream right? lol

Kyle/Yost would be great but staying on Amazing Xmen and building it would be fine for now.

I happen to like alot of Remender's stuff as far as storylines go. His characterization can be a bit off at times. I dont think I'm in the minority on this when I think about his treatment of Rogue.

I want Gillen back just because I thought he would have been the best person to continue his vision for the Xmen being outlaws and all. While some of his run was a little boring his AVX stuff and AVX Consequences was the best of that whole event in my opinion. I feel like he was gaining momentum. I'd say he has unfinished business with the Xmen and part of me just feels like he'd be great on a New Mutants/ generation X/New Xmen type book, especially if that would replace or become All New Xmen.

Mike Carey or Peter David would be good for this but who knows if either wants to commit to writing Xmen again. Both would be able to build some great stories with Uncanny. Especially if given control and can keep the roster out of all the events and crossovers.

I think Gerry Duggan would be the perfect fit for Uncanny. He's becoming a star at Marvel. And this is a writer that respects continuity and ties things together well.

Al Ewing would do great on this book in my opinion too for the same reasons that Duggan would.

Greg Rucka just tells damn good stories and is good with characterization. He would do well with a flagship book like this in my opinion.

I can't forget Cullen Bunn and how he's killing it on Magneto. This could be a great book for him.

Others to consider are James Asmus, James Robinson, Mark Waid and Mark Millar (though Millar seems like an Xforce writer for some strange reason in my opinion)

And just for the sake of discussion.... With Marts as editor could we see some of the DC folks come over and write Uncanny. Maybe Scott Snyder comes over as far as a big name. Or maybe considering previous his work at both DC and Marvel, Marts might possibly get Dan Slott to write Uncanny. Either of those would be a big name.

And let me add this... and i know some may not like it but I hope whoever gets it I would hope they are not allowed to create any new pet-Mary Sue-Godlike mutants. Use the millions we already have. In fact I would say that another bus scene wouldn't be too terribly incovenient. lol. But thats just me.

So really for me out of that list my top choices would be Gerry Duggan, Al Ewing and Greg Rucka. David, Carey and Gillen would be the next choices for me and I'd be curious as to what Slott would do.

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Chapmar

I will more than likely drop X-men after Bendis leaves. The other X-books are awful and no one seems to want to do anything remotely interesting with the characters bar Bendis. It seems people want these characters to exist in perpetuity with no development and that's just not my bag.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HAWK2916

That's probably because you are a Bendis fan as opposed to an Xmen fan. Which is fine but the guy isn't above criticism. He's not the be all end all that some try to make him out to be. Its not to say Bendis isn't a good or even great writer he's just not necessarily the best fit for xmen

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hawk2916: But I am an X-men fan. I have been reading X-men for on and off 18 years now?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:
Mark Millar (though Millar seems like an Xforce writer for some strange reason in my opinion)

Yes!!! Had the exact thoughts! That would be either a total and needed renovation or a failure though, but I'm prepared for the risks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Simon Spurrier.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: He is great for satellite books but I dont think he would be good for flagship ones. That being said , I want him to do write Excalibur reboot (if its ever done again) along with Alan Davis

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love see Bunn writing Uncanny X-Men, because I love his way to write Magneto: he's writing a solid story, without spectacular expedient (graphic or narrative), designed only to amaze the reader. Every issue of his Magneto is simple and focused to describe Magneto, in his search of justice/revenge against the enemies of the mutantkind. You can't see incredibly spectacular fights or catchy phrases. The Bunn's storytelling is rational, effective and efficient, exactly like in the italian comics, but also oriented to those long term plots tipical of american comics.

In is comics I see the best sides of the italian comics, merged with the best sides of american comics and it is exactly what I want see.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

I would love see Bunn writing Uncanny X-Men, because I love his way to write Magneto: he's writing a solid story, without spectacular expedient (graphic or narrative), designed only to amaze the reader. Every issue of his Magneto is simple and focused to describe Magneto, in his search of justice/revenge against the enemies of the mutantkind. You can't see incredibly spectacular fights or catchy phrases. The Bunn's storytelling is rational, effective and efficient, exactly like in the italian comics, but also oriented to those long term plots tipical of american comics.

In is comics I see the best sides of the italian comics, merged with the best sides of american comics and it is exactly what I want see.

Bunn's work on Magneto is nothing short of incredible. It's my favourite book currently, but I don't know how he'd function with a team book?

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is going to be Wilson. It all makes sense now with the push and promotion they are giving her. Whatever is left after Secret War will be the quality of her current X-men story to which the Bendis bashers will be asking for him back at that point. Sad day for the only 2 books that sell decent on the line. This will hurt sales and if the quality is at the level of the non-main 2 this is the first time I have realistically thought they could cancel the line with little care.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EC2277

@john_valentine said:

Bunn's work on Magneto is nothing short of incredible. It's my favourite book currently, but I don't know how he'd function with a team book?

No Caption Provided

He worked on 12 and 13 issues of Cable and the X-Force, but I don't know if he wrote other group titles.

Anyway I don't necessarily want Bunn. I would someone able to write like him, or better able to write the X-Men like Martin write "A song of ice and fire": with a very long term plot, with a continuous and meticulous development of the characters, scenarios and situations, with a storytelling having the characteristics that I have described before.

This is what I hope to see in the next writer, so I know that the next writer will be surely the nemesis of Bunn or Martin.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277 said:

@john_valentine said:

He worked on 12 and 13 issues of Cable and the X-Force, but I don't know if he wrote other group titles.

Ah, I've hated every iteration of X-Force since Uncanny X-Force Vol.1 ended two years back.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine:
Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chapmar said:

I will more than likely drop X-men after Bendis leaves. The other X-books are awful and no one seems to want to do anything remotely interesting with the characters bar Bendis. It seems people want these characters to exist in perpetuity with no development and that's just not my bag.

Most of what Bendis has done has simply written characters to be out of character, and ignored continuity for the sake of "Gotcha!" moments. As a result, there is no character development that results in anything interesting happening to characters, because nothing has greater meaning.

I think your critique would mean more if we haven't already seen more recent writers push the characters forward without breaking them down or making them act like constantly angry, ego tripping, frenemies.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

- Chris Yost

- Jeff Lemire

- Charles Soule

- Nick Spemcer

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with a lot of the suggestions. Remender,Gillen, and Rucka wouldnt be afraid to keep the Uncanny X-Men book as high profile as its become during Bendis' run but with tighter laced stories.

K&Y, would be interesting one day, but I like the world building going on in the other X-books write now so I wouldn't want them to leave.

Both Peter David and Mike Carey are people who have proven to love and respect the X-Men characters and history as well as being on anyone's list of best X-writers. The only thing is that neither has ever really led the Flagship of the X-Men before and while they've got good track records and 9/10 runs I'm not sure if I'd give them Uncanny or just All New X-Men & XX-Men where they would thrive.

The thing is that for all of Bendis' faults ( and there are alot especially where All New X-Men is concerned), he's kept Uncanny X-Men at the top of the "must read" pile do to the level of importance his stospeciallyld. And on top of that, Uncanny X-Men, has been the easiest jump on point in years under his run. So a successor to Bendis wouldnt just have to take on the weight of having an interesting plotline, or a respect for the characters, but also would have to keep Uncanny X-Men at is current level of importance without slathering it in continuity that might lock out new fans.

Its going to be very difficult and while Bendis may not have very big shoes to fill, they are custom made....so can we say with confidence that a lot of the fan preferred writers would be able to wear them?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By adamTRMM

No, no, no, no! Let Remender stay as FAR from the X-books as it is possible. Our poor girl Rogue, she's under offpanel Scarlet Witch's spell to be her lapdog currently. We don't need additional and irrational character changes.

#saveXmen

Snurks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, but I think I will like to see Cullen Bunn taking over. He's doing tremendous with his books lately.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: This is why I think Gillen, Duggan, Ewing or Rucka would be a great fit. I think they would get the characters right while also respecting continuity but not being handicapped by it so as to alienate the new fans. Its not like Bendis excelled so greatly that he brought in all these legions of new readers. I just think these guys could do close to what he did but also do better at where he was weak at.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HAWK2916

@adamtrmm: Lol. i hear you about Remender. Though i must say some of his plots are very good while at times the characterization can be lacking.

In regards to Rogue, I think he could have done himself wonders with a little better or more in depth explanation of events.Maybe an issue where we see more of the fallout from Xavier's death and a focus on how Rogue is dealing with it and her thoughts as to what lead up to it and everything would have explained her behavior a whole lot better. Also I dont know that his interpretation of Rogue is so much out of character as much as its sort of like her reverting back to how she was originally. And really i dont know if it was all Remender or that its just as much a problem with Marvel as a whole when it comes to line-wide cohesion between their books.

I will say that his story with the Apoc Twins and Avenge the Earth felt more so like an Xmen story. Now his Red onslaught - Inversion thing was ridiculous. It felt like they had to just use the Xmen and Avengers together and the plot was really lacking and basically unnecessary. I dont know why some of these writers feel the need to resort to possession by some force or a magic spell to explain behavior. For instance, the things that happened to Havok in Uncanny Avengers would have been traumatic enough to explain him turning to a more fatalistic and ruthless approach when it came to mutant-human issues. I mean you give up your daughter to basically save the human race and the earth while jeopardizing your marriage and get disfigured in the process only to return to the same old issues of hatred and intolerance. I wouldn't need any type of spell to make me want to fight fire with fire and change my perspective on how things should be. In this instance I think going more in depth into that natural human emotion would have been much more profound and would ultimately lead to the same reult as going what I call the cheap and sloppy route of just casting a spell. It was just completely unnecessary

The only reason I wouldn't personally dismiss the consideration of Remender is that his plots are usually pretty good and him telling a revolutionary type story in Uncanny might be a perfect fit.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remender for me.

I liked Uncanny Avengers overall. AXIS was a mess. Very disappointing. But if someone is gonna take over UXM - a group of X-Men who walk in the grey area, why not the man who arguably delivered the best X-Force run ever? Unless by the end of Secret Wars the "SCHISM" is over... then it really depends on the new status quo of the X-Men

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently started reading after Schism. I actually like the composition of the team as is right now. Pacing aside, overall I actually like Bendis' writing. Most of the character interactions are good. I dislike how he portrays Emma. But I have not really seen many writers do a good job with her anyway. I'm nervous as to what the team composition will be after secret wars. I'm probably going to stop reading Marvel once it starts and depending on what comes out, I may just drop them completely.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if there will be an Uncanny X-Men 601: Uncanny X-Men 600 will come out in May, in May it will start Secret Wars and a commemorative issue sell better than a issue number 35 whatever. So I think Uncanny X-Men 600 could be the last issue and then there will be only Secret Wars.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Let's tacitly follow in the fashion of Adam and say no to Remender. Stories of purported cataclysmic scope veiled with ostensible impact are what the current X-market is replete with and they're adding to the problem of stagnancy. Remender is incapable of capitalizing on the 'mutants are a minority' metaphor and seems averse to receiving any elucidation on it. I don't think he understands the mutant or minority plight and that is a stipulation crucial for anyone being handed the keys to the proverbial kingdom. No more stories for the sake of telling stories. These stories must have a palpable and poignant meaning.

This is a question to the devout followers of the man in question: did he actually stay true to the mandate of the preceding UA run? Did his stories and character development actually reflect the notion of union between man and mutant?

Whoever it is, (echoing sentiments here) i just hope they love the X-Men and have an actual level of respect for them whilst not being afraid to toe the line and push the envelope on particular aspects of the The Cause. It's time for innovation and evocative stimulation. I wouldn't want the franchise to plunge into another Bendis-Aaron era where characters face decadent measures of mistreatment and/or neglect while everything is at a stand still.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: I agree somewhat. But Remender's stories were/are ten times better than what we got from Bendis or that damn Aaron travesty. An Xmen run under Remender would more than likely be higher quality than what weve been getting.That is of course with the exception of the Red Skull-Axis stuff. But while we suffered through BOTA for an x-event, the more event worthy story was being told in Remender's book. In my opinion he actually told a story that should have appeared in Uncanny Xmen instead of an Avengers book. I will grant that Remender really didn't stick to the supposed premise of what his book was supposed to be. But his Apoc Twins stuff followed by the Avenge the Earth story felt more like Xmen than Avengers and so in that aspect it felt like he captured a little x-essence if you will. On top of that I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that the x-cast that Remender was allowed to work with or use for his book was not his first choice among characters.

Don't get me wrong although he is one of the better writers in my opinion when it comes to plotting stories, he's not my 1st,2nd or even 3rd choice to take over. Some of his dialogue can seem a bit foreign when reading about the Xmen so it may be that he doesn't understand the metaphor but I think he tells stories that mean something and have lasting affects.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38  Edited By McKlayn

claremont already came back to marvel with his nightcrawler run <.< just saying i wouldn't object to bringing the 80's back so to say

Also I like Peter David and Mike Carey those would be good choices imo

Only other names that pop to the top of my head is Ed Brubaker, and Josh Wheldon (both of which wrote stories i enjoyed in the x franchise neither of which i could ever see returning so yea toss them out)

Also just some random names Rucka seems popular here and I enjoy his Cyclops and punisher series not sure how he would work with the team dynamic but i would be willing to give it a try, and just for shits Dan Slott might be fun, i really enjoy his spiderman run so why not right?

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we are going with random writers, I would go with Dysart from Valiant. His stuff on Harbinger is what Bendis wishes his UXM could be

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HAWK2916

@dman1366: I strongly agree with that.

By the way I saw some mention of Jeff Lemire.I'm not really familiar with his work. What does he write?

Also depending on whether Marvel wants to make a big name splash with whoever is taking over Uncanny as the flagship title. Dan Slott would seem to be more and more a possibility with Marts as editor. I think that name would generate some excitement. I actually love the Brubaker suggestion but lately I've kind of thought of him as an ideal Avengers writer and would love to see him there

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By adamTRMM

@hawk2916:

Lol. i hear you about Remender. Though i must say some of his plots are very good while at times the characterization can be lacking.

In regards to Rogue, I think he could have done himself wonders with a little better or more in depth explanation of events.Maybe an issue where we see more of the fallout from Xavier's death and a focus on how Rogue is dealing with it and her thoughts as to what lead up to it and everything would have explained her behavior a whole lot better. Also I dont know that his interpretation of Rogue is so much out of character as much as its sort of like her reverting back to how she was originally. And really i dont know if it was all Remender or that its just as much a problem with Marvel as a whole when it comes to line-wide cohesion between their books.

I will say that his story with the Apoc Twins and Avenge the Earth felt more so like an Xmen story. Now his Red onslaught - Inversion thing was ridiculous. It felt like they had to just use the Xmen and Avengers together and the plot was really lacking and basically unnecessary. I dont know why some of these writers feel the need to resort to possession by some force or a magic spell to explain behavior. For instance, the things that happened to Havok in Uncanny Avengers would have been traumatic enough to explain him turning to a more fatalistic and ruthless approach when it came to mutant-human issues. I mean you give up your daughter to basically save the human race and the earth while jeopardizing your marriage and get disfigured in the process only to return to the same old issues of hatred and intolerance. I wouldn't need any type of spell to make me want to fight fire with fire and change my perspective on how things should be. In this instance I think going more in depth into that natural human emotion would have been much more profound and would ultimately lead to the same reult as going what I call the cheap and sloppy route of just casting a spell. It was just completely unnecessary

The only reason I wouldn't personally dismiss the consideration of Remender is that his plots are usually pretty good and him telling a revolutionary type story in Uncanny might be a perfect fit.

I know you like Remender, hell I myself expressed numerous times how some of his concepts are absolutely gold, but man, the more I read through his dialogues and characterization the more I realize how weak he's at it. I mean, Havok, from an X-men quitting via "I'm going to kill my brother" space pirate to this holier than thou, Captain America protege? What.... How? Now Rogue... it's like Legacy and everything that Carey did with her was retconned, fully, besides the romance with Magneto (it was mentioned at least). Wanda, wow... No one, but no one could've messed her even MORE when he turned her into this unapologetic piece of trash. And she was at her road to redemption, now, kinda impossible.

You raised a very neat point about Havok (Remender's Havok but still, we can't run from continuity lol), yet just another point thrown into the mix.

Now if you're really interested in what my problems with Remender in general are, I just remembered a thread where I explained myself to Oldnightcrawler in detail and I don't think I will say it any better. So, if you're interested it's all there:

http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/magnetos-black-list-1597194/?page=1#js-message-12750434

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind Bunn. I think he's been doing great so far.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Yea, like I said I don't disagree with you. Remender's plotlines and stories are great but the characterization and dialogue is lacking. With him I almost wish we could get a combination type thing similar to Kyle/Yost. Let someone like say a Peter David do the characterization side while Remender does the story and plot. That could be gold for sure lol.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hawk2916 I think Remender could do it.

I mean really whether Bendis ends his run with a bang or a whimper is going to be a big factor in the future of the X-Men. And honestly not knowing whether Bendis will do a rushed wrap up of everything he was writing(which happens a lot in comics),or if he'll leave the sentence unfinished and someone else will continue the current Uncanny plotline....its puts a huge question mark on what the new writer will have to accomplish. But Remender is good enough that he'll keep or raise the stakes enough that it won't feel like the previous run was a waste and he's not afraid to go deep and personal with a characters storyarc at the same time as a major plot is happening.

He's not my first choice, but he's high profile, high stakes and a good team writer who won't leave characters behind. So he's the type of writer were looking for given how.little we know about the post Bendis situation. The only downside is that he is horrible at following up on other peoples character growth, but I think it compliments Bendis' lack of characterization so it might go smooth.

Basically someone with Remender's skill set would do well until we know more.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: yeah you make some good points there. I cant help but think of how good a Remender Emma Frost would be. In fact in just speculating at the local comic book shop, we were discussing taking his stories in Uncanny Avengers and putting that story in Xmen and replacing all the Avengers with Xmen. Most people there said they could see Emma in the role of Rogue in dealing with Scarlet Witch and Rogue was in the role of Wasp. It was kind of neat really. I guess we have to wait on Secret Wars which Im not too happy about for sure.

What do you think about Dan Slott?

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaymarePrime

If they pair the line down to 1 or 2 books I think they should let the writer do both so there is consistency. Pair down the line to 6-10 members, go back to Blue and Gold (which they pretty much have anyhow), keep the O5 and some of the new and rebuild. This should allow them to hopefully find a stable ground the non-Bendis titles have not had for years now (based on sales, not personal opinions).

Throw Storm over in the Avengers, or whatever diversity team comes out of Secret War and have it be the Ultimate Universe version so it is the non-mutant version (they can erase or kill the current one), and use this as a way to move all the displaced X-men(due to a paired cast).

There are most likely some lasting ramifications from Marvel for this event as there may be a concept artist for a certain game that has been asked to draw new looks for some characters (some X-men) and they are either the classic looks for "In Remembrance Of" or the new status such as possibly reverting back to original nationalities or bodies...the character packs are not free either so if someone is going to spend what they typically charge on them my thoughts are they would stick around. *This is the extent of the hints I could get as well, they are taking leaks on this event VERY seriously, especially from 3rd party licensees*

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: One of my friends who works at my LCBS just mentioned Slott. Idk, I feel like we might have the same issue with Bendis. Great story ideas, but they come with OoC dialog and about 30 issues an arc.

Who knows though, he has his moments where he is fantastic (like this Spider Verse stuff).

And as for your previous question, Lemire writes, currently, JLU and Green Arrow. He used to write Superboy and Animal Man along with Sweet Tooth. His, Kindt, and Rivera's work on The Valiant is crazy amazing. I forgot, outside of Saga, that comics could be like that.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Koays

@hawk2916: The idea of Emma in Rogue's place under Remender definitely has the fire that the character had in the early 2000's in mind with both the prideful mutant and the unforgiving critc aspects he had going for Rogue so there's definetly something there. And even though I'd hate to see her hook up with Havok, the way Wasp spent time listening to Havok early on was arguably closer to Rogue's portrayal as the "nurturer" in recent years so there is something to that as well. Bendis' blank slate characterization though will leave a lot less room for miscast so he should have an easier go at fitting someone like Emma as a rebel, leader, mother figure, etc.. Without it seeming out of character.

Dan Slott...i mean don't get me wrong he's got the credentials, but is he really an X-Men kinda writer? I think that over time he could do well and maybe if we had to redo the last year of Uncanny developments without changing them then he'd be the guy...buy something about him just reminds me to much of Bendis. It might just be nitpicking because I do enjoy his current stuff, but i'd argue that his best point is conversations and personal developments as opposed to action and complex plots which Bendis has similar stats in. Its mostly just based on his Recent Spiderman stuff though so I'm not sure if im making sense, but a lot of the action plotting is meh while the drama is always there.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they pair the line down to 1 or 2 books I think they should let the writer do both so there is consistency. Pair down the line to 6-10 members, go back to Blue and Gold (which they pretty much have anyhow), keep the O5 and some of the new and rebuild. This should allow them to hopefully find a stable ground the non-Bendis titles have not had for years now (based on sales, not personal opinions).

I disagree with letting the same writer control the two main titles. I just don't think that's worked well in X-Book history, arguably Lobdell did well early on but as he winded down in quality you almost felt trapped in the flawed writing style. Similarly with Bendis, people like Uncanny X-Men but his flaws in All New X-Men were frustrating and led to insane levels of hate for the writer, that created backlash for Uncanny when it sometimes didn't deserve it.

To me if we're going to look at it from the perspective of just two X-Books i'd argue that they should be written by to seperatem but collaborating writers. That way it expresses a unique feel from the team that dividing them in half should, while giving the much needed cohesion that everyone looks for these days.

Personally though, i'd like to see there continue to be 3-4 main X-titles. XX-Men has been a reprieve from Bendis sure, but it expands the world by dealing with things completely unrelated to other titles and awesome characterization for a unique group in a faction. Amazing has finally found it's feet, and it contributes the main voice for the B-side of the X-Men so that they aren't lumped into side characters in one book. Uncanny is the flagship where A & B sides of the franchise intermingle and set the course of the franchise but the A-side develops. And All New X-Men sucks..but it gives an extended look at the A-side of the team without as many factors crammed into an issue of uncanny.

Maybe one book could be cut, but at this point anything less then 3 books is a disservice to the quality that the X-Books could have.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HAWK2916

@koays said:

@hawk2916: The idea of Emma in Rogue's place under Remender definitely has the fire that the character had in the early 2000's in mind with both the prideful mutant and the unforgiving critc aspects he had going for Rogue so there's definetly something there. And even though I'd hate to see her hook up with Havok, the way Wasp spent time listening to Havok early on was arguably closer to Rogue's portrayal as the "nurturer" in recent years so there is something to that as well. Bendis' blank slate characterization though will leave a lot less room for miscast so he should have an easier go at fitting someone like Emma as a rebel, leader, mother figure, etc.. Without it seeming out of character.

Dan Slott...i mean don't get me wrong he's got the credentials, but is he really an X-Men kinda writer? I think that over time he could do well and maybe if we had to redo the last year of Uncanny developments without changing them then he'd be the guy...buy something about him just reminds me to much of Bendis. It might just be nitpicking because I do enjoy his current stuff, but i'd argue that his best point is conversations and personal developments as opposed to action and complex plots which Bendis has similar stats in. Its mostly just based on his Recent Spiderman stuff though so I'm not sure if im making sense, but a lot of the action plotting is meh while the drama is always there.

It was a fun exercise for sure. I think in the end the Unity squad was pretty much all mutants with there being some who had been Xmen and Avengers like Beast and of course Wolverine, but Storm got a lot of mention, even Bishop got quite a bit of mention, also Sage and Dazzler for some strange reason and the newest to join Cannonball and Sunspot and even a repowered Dani with Valkryie status also got a surprising amount of play . Cap, Thor, Wonderman and Wasp were all replaced. Cap got just a contact-type advisory role. I think we also came up with Valerie Cooper having a big role like in the Freedom Force days and Miguel Reyes for the humans working with mutants premise. Strangely enough the store owner had a great idea for Vulcan joining in the role that Wonderman, I mean it was mind-blowing. Like I said it was pretty cool to see people ideas and roster changes, you know for those of us that dont really like our peas and carrots mixing lol

With Slott I've just heard quite a bit of banter, not officially of course, about how that would be a great high profile follow up to Bendis. But again I want someone who can write a team and the points you make there are very valid.

Either way, i'm a bit scared for the Xmen with Secret Wars coming. Seriously dreading this thing