Posted by darthphoenix (1454 posts) 1 year, 9 months ago

Poll: Who should be the Next X-men leader (29 votes)

Rogue 7%
Rachel grey 3%
Kitty 34%
Beast 14%
Cannonball 17%
Cable 24%

Rogue- She did a good job defending the jg school against the avengers. liked her leadership in their space stint. She can take down almost any team just by herself, she did it with the avengers during her early years as a villain.

Rachel Grey- Daughter of two Great leaders. Future founder of Clan askani. I see so much promise in her, being passionate on her beliefs. Even stood up against storm re. karima. She is also one of the most powerful x-man.

Kitty- typical strict and intelligent leader. she has a good leader's qualities. very believable even at her young age.

Beast- never seen him lead a team. i Think it would be nice for him to step up

Cannonball- been 2nd in command for teams, it would be great to see him promoted.

Cable- More physical and unarmed combat training for everybody-techie style! X-men would be more Kick-ass!

#1 Edited by time (5838 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue gets my vote, but Cannonball is a good choice as well.

#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

Cannonball.

#3 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

Cannonball.

he should have his own team now, in my opinion.

I'm digging Storm's team in X-Men and Cyclops' team in Uncanny X-Men, but even if there were only three X-men books, Cannonball should be the leader of one of them.

Though, if he were to replace Storm, I'd want to see Kitty as his right hand man; and if he were to replace Cyclops, I'd want to see Moonstar as his right hand man (or he as hers). Really, though, I'd rather he had his own team.

#4 Posted by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. That's a tough one. I have to say for me it's a 4 way tie at the moment between Rogue-Rachel-Kitty-Cannonball.

Rachel because she's from the future. Seeks redemption for being a hound so you have the Wolverine/Magneto element there. Daughter of Jean Grey and more successful dealing with the Phoenix than most. Been to outer space and fought on all fronts. Telepath like Xavier with Scott Summers leadership.

Rogue can really develop the next generation plus she is a one person wrecking crew on her own.

Kitty could really get mutants accepted in society and can be a great mentor

Cannonball well trained been a leader and second in command had triumphs and failures would be like Scott Summers all new. Not afraid to get hands dirty or operate outside the law if need be.

Maybe these four can form a cabal. And each take a separate team. Then come together as a team-up with a few select members from their respective squads to fight against Extinction level threats or in big events. lol

#5 Posted by Exia009 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

I may be missing something pretty obvious, but is there a reason why Storm isn't on that list?

For me, although difficult to call, it should be Kitty. She's got a strong, level-headed nature in spite of her age and is natural leader material. Just an opinion, I'd like to see her take the leadership role. I mean, she practically is the leader in All-New X-Men.

#6 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

Wow. That's a tough one. I have to say for me it's a 4 way tie at the moment between Rogue-Rachel-Kitty-Cannonball.

Maybe these four can form a cabal. And each take a separate team. Then come together as a team-up with a few select members from their respective squads to fight against Extinction level threats or in big events. lol

this actually just really makes me want to see Cannonball join the current X-Men. I'd love to see him with those characters.

#7 Edited by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

this actually just really makes me want to see Cannonball join the current X-Men. I'd love to see him with those characters.

Yeah that would be a great addition to the team. Maybe him and Frenzy or Monet

#8 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: him and Warpath.

That would be awesome, though I've always envisioned Warpath joining Cyclops and Emma How would you feel bout Adam though. And maybe having a story arc getting to the bottom of his origins? I think it would be a cool and fresh twist on everything. He's a great pilot for flying the x-jet and one of the best fighters in the galaxy

#10 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Tbf, since Claremont's New Mutants run and Cannonball's return during the Seagle/Kelly run, the natural order of things would have Dani and Cannonball replace both Storm and Cyclops for obvious reasons. Why it hasn't happened, i have no idea.

#12 Posted by darthphoenix (1454 posts) - - Show Bio

@exia009: storm, cyclops and wolverine are not on the list because they're the current leaders.

#13 Posted by knighthood (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Kitty.

You should too. So says the interwebs.

#14 Posted by Exia009 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthphoenix: You know, currently reading three X-Men titles, you would think that piece of information would have donned on me before asking. :x

#15 Edited by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

yeah Adam X. I guess it would be hard to just put him on a team but it would be an interesting thing to explore as a supporting character and maybe an origin story involving the team. By the way Psylocke would move over to Xforce iMO

#16 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Tbf, since Claremont's New Mutants run and Cannonball's return during the Seagle/Kelly run, the natural order of things would have Dani and Cannonball replace both Storm and Cyclops for obvious reasons. Why it hasn't happened, i have no idea.

I do, it's because Cyclops and Storm are awesome. I'm not saying that having Cannonball take over for one or both of them wouldn't also be awesome, but they are classic, well recognized, awesome characters.

Having Cannonball take over the X-men would be like Nightwing taking over the JLA (which would also be awesome), it would be cool, but you know it wouldn't last, because Superman and Batman are awesome, and he'll always be a rung below them. The main difference being that you can have the X-men regardless of which characters are on the team (sort of).

I do see your point, but there's been a lot of stories between Claremont's classic run and now, and if he wanted to have Cyclops and Storm fade into the background, he shouldn't have made them so damn cool. It's why I think Cannonball should just have his own team, because, you're right, he should be the leader of the X-men, but he shouldn't have to compete with Storm or Cyclops to do so.

#17 Posted by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

Having Cannonball join Storm's team would be one of the best things IMO. I also want Dani with Cyclops' X-team

#18 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

Having Cannonball join Storm's team would be one of the best things IMO. I also want Dani with Cyclops' X-team

I could totally dig that.

#19 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

I do, it's because Cyclops and Storm are awesome. I'm not saying that having Cannonball take over for one or both of them wouldn't also be awesome, but they are classic, well recognized, awesome characters.

Having Cannonball take over the X-men would be like Nightwing taking over the JLA (which would also be awesome), it would be cool, but you know it wouldn't last, because Superman and Batman are awesome, and he'll always be a rung below them. The main difference being that you can have the X-men regardless of which characters are on the team (sort of).

I do see your point, but there's been a lot of stories between Claremont's classic run and now, and if he wanted to have Cyclops and Storm fade into the background, he shouldn't have made them so damn cool. It's why I think Cannonball should just have his own team, because, you're right, he should be the leader of the X-men, but he shouldn't have to compete with Storm or Cyclops to do so.

That's how things become stagnant, as if they aren't already--also one of the reasons why people actually think that there are no new waters to tread with the X-Men, because we have fans like you that would rather have the same old faces mast-heading the franchise. It's not about fading into the background or competition, it's about introspective development and reflection, doing different and new things, getting out there and broadening the scope.

Cannonball just having a team of his own would not suffice because 1. He's not that significant of a character for so much attention to be drawn to himself and the team, unlike Rogue, during the earlier Carey days and 2. He deserves more than that. In today's market, that "team" would essentially be New Mutants vol w/e. A team won't provide and warrant him the natural progressive status/recognition that he was groomed for and earned, same goes for Dani.

#20 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

That wouldn't make much sense.

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

That's how things become stagnant, as if they aren't already--also one of the reasons why people actually think that there are no new waters to tread with the X-Men, because we have fans like you that would rather have the same old faces mast-heading the franchise. It's not about fading into the background or competition, it's about introspective development and reflection, doing different and new things, getting out there and broadening the scope.

Cannonball just having a team of his own would not suffice because 1. He's not that significant of a character for so much attention to be drawn to himself and the team, unlike Rogue, during the earlier Carey days and 2. He deserves more than that. In today's market, that "team" would essentially be New Mutants vol w/e. A team won't provide and warrant him the natural progressive status/recognition that he was groomed for and earned, same goes for Dani.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "fans like you", but I'm certainly not going to feel bad for recognizing that Cyclops and Storm are both good characters. And, yeah, so is Cannonball; and yeah, he does deserve to be put in more significant roles than he has been.

If you told me that Storm or Cyclops died (or whatever), and that Cannonball was going to replace one (or both) of them, I would be interested and excited to see that happen. I would not be whining about the death of one of my favorite characters (which both of them are); I would be happy to see the wheel turn towards a character like Cannonball who has spent so much of his existence in the their shadow, deserving of more. I'm just saying that

1.) I do still really like both Storm and Cyclops, they're still two of my favorites, and they're teams are my two favorite X-men books right now, and

2.) If Cannonball is really going to forge his own destiny, his own identity as a leader, he really should be doing it independently of either of them. Consider what Cannonball's role was in the early 90's as the leader of X-force; with Storm and Cyclops on the same team, it really was his team that stood out as the official opposition party, the most relevant other X-team there was. He has the potential to have that significance again, if not more, but there's no denying that a lot of his appeal as a character comes from the underdog status he's earned by not doing what Cyclops or Storm would have done.

Simply, his X-men will be distinct and relevant regardless of what other X-men teams exist anyway, I see no reason to kill off characters in the prime of their life just because he's older than they were when they became leaders. Cannonball's already proved he's as much a leader as either of them.

#22 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

I don't know what you mean exactly by "fans like you", but I'm certainly not going to feel bad for recognizing that Cyclops and Storm are both good characters. And, yeah, so is Cannonball; and yeah, he does deserve to be put in more significant roles than he has been.

If you told me that Storm or Cyclops died (or whatever), and that Cannonball was going to replace one (or both) of them, I would be interested and excited to see that happen. I would not be whining about the death of one of my favorite characters (which both of them are); I would be happy to see the wheel turn towards a character like Cannonball who has spent so much of his existence in the their shadow, deserving of more. I'm just saying that

1.) I do still really like both Storm and Cyclops, they're still two of my favorites, and they're teams are my two favorite X-men books right now, and

2.) If Cannonball is really going to forge his own destiny, his own identity as a leader, he really should be doing it independently of either of them. Consider what Cannonball's role was in the early 90's as the leader of X-force; with Storm and Cyclops on the same team, it really was his team that stood out as the official opposition party, the most relevant other X-team there was. He has the potential to have that significance again, if not more, but there's no denying that a lot of his appeal as a character comes from the underdog status he's earned by not doing what Cyclops or Storm would have done.

Simply, his X-men will be distinct and relevant regardless of what other X-men teams exist anyway, I see no reason to kill off characters in the prime of their life just because he's older than they were when they became leaders. Cannonball's already proved he's as much a leader as either of them.

There's an unhinged lot of fans who feel things should be kept the same in terms of positions/roles/stories, promoting character stagnancy and inducing an extremely circular market.

Tbf, what hasn't he done, exactly, that was a significant deference from both Storm and Cyclops (having not read a great deal of the character) ? I personally wouldn't take that route with Cannonball, he's a bit too mature for cliched angst-ridden conspicuous leave of absence trope,, as i've always said, that'd be better suited for the younger X-Men. It's time for them, as well. They're still in the process of making a name for themselves, he isn't. He should take the reigns from the inside. That was what he'd been groomed for around the AoX era.

They'll be relevant as long as there's a warranted mandate.

#23 Posted by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: Cannonball doesn't fit into the somewhat exclusive familial equation that is the magic of Storm's team. His inclusion would make no sense and serve no use other than to babysit Shogo while Jubilee's not around. He hardly has any ties with most of the members of this team, while this team's all about the ties that bind. Plus, he's a male.

What would Dani be doing in a fake Revolution ? And why should Dani receive Bendis treatment ?

#25 Posted by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

listen bub lol just kidding. I may be wrong here but I thought Cannonball had some ties with Rogue from being on her team. Maybe not but then again who says the team has to be all female. I personally want some changes to the current landscape so I was just stating my preferences for a team. As far as Dani is concerned. I always felt Cyclops had mad respect for her and shes a strong character. The revolution that never was really needs to end already. And as I said Im praying for this to hapoen in the future. A future where Bendis is not writing my Uncanny Xmen. Let him stay on All New or something else but no im not thinking about writing anything with Dani in it

#26 Posted by CheeseSticks (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast? REALLY? Lmao

#27 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: Cannonball doesn't fit into the somewhat exclusive familial equation that is the magic of Storm's team. His inclusion would make no sense and serve no use other than to babysit Shogo while Jubilee's not around. He hardly has any ties with most of the members of this team, while this team's all about the ties that bind. Plus, he's a male.

I don't think that that's really true. Cannonball kind of grew up with Kitty, Rogue, and Rachel; they all went to the school at the same time, I even recall Kitty helping him with his homework (despite being younger than him). And he's been on at least three of the same teams as Rogue, even acting as her right hand man when she got her own team.

I think you're right that the family feeling of Storm's team is what really makes it special, but that's something that's always been shown to be important to Cannonball, so I actually see him as one of the few characters who would fit organically with this team.

#28 Edited by fodigg (6210 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty practically already is the leader in the W&tXM.

@cheesesticks said:

Beast? REALLY? Lmao

Seriously. How would that work? Who would hypocritically undermine the leadership if Beast was in charge? He has monopolized that role.

#29 Edited by time (5838 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@cheesesticks said:

Beast? REALLY? Lmao

Seriously. How would that work? Who would hypocritically undermine the leadership if Beast was in charge? He has monopolized that role.

Well he's smarter than most of the X-Men in that above poll. To be fair look at what happen with Cyclops and Wolverine leadership. Not only are the X-Men divided, but they also at each other throats. They also went to war with the Avengers, like that help matters. Cyclops team right now is like the new Brotherhood. There nothing to say that Beast and any another X-Men couldn't do a better job that them. All they need is a good writer. I still wonder would Rogue & Storm do a better job at leadering than Cyclops or Wolverine. What about Storm and Jean or Storm and Emma.

#30 Posted by CheeseSticks (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

@time: Because the X-Men would love to have an Avengers who's willing to stab you in the back for his own gain.Beast is an hypocrite, no one want him to be the leader.

#31 Posted by fodigg (6210 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@fodigg said:

@cheesesticks said:

Beast? REALLY? Lmao

Well he's smarter than most of the X-Men in that above poll. To be fair look at what happen with Cyclops and Wolverine leadership. Not only are the X-Men divided, but they also at each other throats. They also went to war with the Avengers, like that help matters. Cyclops team right now is like the new Brotherhood. There nothing to say that Beast and any another X-Men couldn't do a better job that them. All they need is a good writer. I still wonder would Rogue & Storm do a better job at leadering than Cyclops or Wolverine. What about Storm and Jean or Storm and Emma.

Beast has been written as quite the hypocrite the last few years, though. Things like getting pissy over X-Force and yet joining the Secret Avengers, where he then nuked a thriving underground city. And then sided with Wolverine in Schism, the guy who...ran...X-Force?

#32 Posted by Wolverine08 (48219 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty.

#33 Edited by lykopis (10868 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast -- one of the original X-Men and capable of leading any team. Everyone else on the list is good as well but I put Beast above them (although Rogue has clearly proven herself so her being on the list is a bit unfair to the others).

#34 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Beast -- one of the original X-Men and capable of leading any team. Everyone else on the list is good as well but I put Beast above them (although Rogue has clearly proven herself so her being on the list is a bit unfair to the others).

In my mind, most of these characters have proven themselves; Cable and Cannonball both lead X-force at different times, Kitty basically was the real leader of the original Excalibur, and Beast lead the X-men (at Xavier's request, which I think only two other characters can claim) after Cyclops and Jean left the team on their honeymoon. I actually really like both Beast and Kitty as leaders too.

#35 Posted by HAWK2916 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast is such a hypocrite though. He would be a good leader and I always picture him as the mentor to the New X-men team made up of some of the students at the school. In that way he would have a bit of professor X quality to him.

#36 Posted by CheeseSticks (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast is horrible. Cannonball is an Avengers.

#37 Edited by RaggedScarecrow (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable or Kitty

#38 Posted by Veitha (3825 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty would be the best one. She's a good teacher and a good field leader, she can make the right decisions and think with her own head.

#39 Edited by lykopis (10868 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

In my mind, most of these characters have proven themselves; Cable and Cannonball both lead X-force at different times, Kitty basically was the real leader of the original Excalibur, and Beast lead the X-men (at Xavier's request, which I think only two other characters can claim) after Cyclops and Jean left the team on their honeymoon. I actually really like both Beast and Kitty as leaders too.

That's right! I forgot about that (Xavier getting beast to lead the team). Good show. :)

#40 Posted by Yung ANcient One (5094 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean... Who should be the leader of the X-Men once they become one sole team and not 5 different ones?

Uncanny

XX

Astonishing

Amazing

Wolverine's

( + )

#41 Posted by Dayvid3 (913 posts) - - Show Bio

Which X-men? Anyways Cable. He has just the right philosophy for my taste, original X-Force. Be good but don't be a doormat. Kind of the sane, real world middle ground between magneto and xavier. Cannonball studied under him, led X-force for a while, was a main character, then got relegated to the background again. There was a good build up of him, I can't find now. Said he was becoming a leader, the product of all he served under. Xavier, Magneto (no idea when that was), and Cable.

No Whiners

#42 Posted by TDK_1997 (15910 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable is the best choice for me.I think he has proven himself more than once as a leader and as a mutant and I also would really like to see him be the leader.

#43 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

That's right! I forgot about that (Xavier getting beast to lead the team). Good show. :)

it's actually one of my favorite parts of 90's X-men. I never quite understood it, because Storm was still around (maybe she was supposed to be the field leader, but it still seemed like we saw Beast in the field more); enough characters had left the team that there weren't really blue and gold teams so much as one big team comprised mainly of Beast, Gambit, Rogue, Iceman, Archangel, Psylocke, Bishop, and sometimes Storm, though most of the stories only had 2-4 characters in them. Which actually worked pretty well for getting a real feel for the characters, even if the plots seemed to go nowhere most of the time.

#44 Posted by papad1992 (7015 posts) - - Show Bio