Posted by 7474josh (5 posts) 6 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Who is your favorite current student at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning? (28 votes)

Kubark (Kid Gladiator) 7%
Quentin Quire 39%
Genesis (Kid Apocalypse/Evan Sabahnur) 14%
Idie 18%
Broo 18%
Iara Dos Santos 0%
Trevor Hawkins (Eye Boy) 0%
Sprite (Jia Jing) 4%
Manuel Enduque 0%
Victor Borkowski 0%
#1 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4451 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by HAWK2916 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of the list you put up, I would say Idie. This list is kind of messed up because the best characters arent there.

My favorites are Armor, Dust, Hellion, Surge (not sure, where the hell she is) and I guess Pixie and Match. (that would be an awesome team, lol)

I dont know much about Genesis besides him being cloned and created by Fantomex. I kind of resent him because I want the real Apocalypse back and not some kiddie version who might be good or bad. Im really trying to like Quire but so far its difficult for me on that front. I actually liked him in the Phoenix Warsong-Endsong stuff though

#3 Posted by Ultra_beleco (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Broo

He is the kind of character that would fit in any X-men book for comedy purposes and still be awesome.

#4 Posted by Koays (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Quire, but that's because most of the students haven't really been written well. They tend to get one line a issue with the exception of Quentin and Broo...most of the JGS student body are just....well bodies, that say or react to something going on around them in whatever stock characteristic they have.

#5 Posted by JROCK72 (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Idie, but I'm a huge X-Students fan anyways, so I love all of them, especially Hellion, Mercury, Rockslide, Anole, Pixie, Surge, and X-23.

#6 Posted by frozenedge (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I love all of them, I gotta go with Kid Gladiator. Dude is just hilarious in his attempts to get anybody and everybody to know his name and if you don't know his name and his numerous exploits and adventures schooling the Hulk and Thor in a punching contest, he'll fly you around the Sun until you do

#7 Edited by THUNDERBOLT30 (10321 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Quire (and wish I could add Idie as well) but where is Gentle?

#8 Edited by devilsgrin81 (649 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmmm i want to vote for Hellion (he's so yummy, even with those "hands" - check out X-Men #10 for a funny comment from Pixie re: Julian and short shorts...)

But my vote goes to Quire. He's the only one of the students aside from Blindfold (who bores the hell out of me) and Idie (who annoys me like no-one else except for Wolverboring) that gets any decent panel time.

#9 Edited by poisonfleur (3029 posts) - - Show Bio

Idie a.k.a. Oya

#10 Posted by Selina_Sublime (151 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Idie
2. Kid Omega3. Surge
4. Rockslide
5. Bling!

I like Shark Girl, but there's not enough to know about her to list her as a favorite.

#11 Posted by Squares (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Quire. And that's really, really sad.

#12 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

why? what's wrong with Quire?

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14704 posts) - - Show Bio

Quentin Quire.

#14 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg lol. Quire is fugging gross. Why is he getting so much love ? Like, this is really surprising. Where'd the mass fascination come from ? He's akin to that repugnant pimple you get on your nose on a seasonal basis that just gets bigger and bigger till the point where it develops a mind of its own and starts talking to you. *cringe* Eugh.

OT - Idie and Broo. They were the only reasons i picked up WATX until Aaron decided to take a runny crap over introspective progression.

#15 Posted by Denam_Pavel (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixie

#16 Edited by Squares (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

why? what's wrong with Quire?

I used to have a really, really low opinion of him. That's changed somewhat, but he's still nowhere near one of my favourites.

#17 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg lol. Quire is fugging gross. Why is he getting so much love ? Like, this is really surprising. Where'd the mass fascination come from ? He's akin to that repugnant pimple you get on your nose on a seasonal basis that just gets bigger and bigger till the point where it develops a mind of its own and starts talking to you. *cringe* Eugh.

Really? I thought you'd like Quire. To me he seems like one of the most perfectly realized X-men characters of the last 20 years. His origin story is a contemporary classic, his character arc has been both clear and consistent ever since they brought him back, and he's the kind of character that creates friction. And he's fun.

Colorful similes aside, I really don't get why anyone wouldn't like him.

OT - Idie and Broo. They were the only reasons i picked up WATX until Aaron decided to take a runny crap over introspective progression.

Broo was my second choice. He's great. (also, he makes an awesome foil for Quire).

Oya I like, but mostly for her relationship to Quire and Broo. She was one of my favorites of her class (along with Zero); but she still doesn't feel very fleshed out to me, even after all this time.

#18 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Don't get me wrong. He's a likable dude, dare i say loveable, but i just feel his character's story was told in its entirety during Morrison's memorable spin on the franchise. He was just one of those intentionally annoying characters that needn't receive so much panel time unless the situation warranted.

Or perhaps it's the fact that i don't like Aaron's plastic iteration of the character and how much i feel Idie's suffered for his advancement within the present narrative. He creates friction, like you said, and there's so much potential for the character to be unleashed amidst his reactions betwixt the characters of the JGS, but 42 issues in and Aaron's decidedly been playing in an extremely small sandbox. *shrugs*

#19 Posted by Onemoreposter (4023 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Quentin. He's a fun character.

#20 Posted by Djainess (172 posts) - - Show Bio

From the voting list I'd say quire. He's a great and fun character. But my personal favorite would be armor. Too bad no writer cares about her currently :(

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Don't get me wrong. He's a likable dude, dare i say loveable, but i just feel his character's story was told in its entirety during Morrison's memorable spin on the franchise. He was just one of those intentionally annoying characters that needn't receive so much panel time unless the situation warranted.

mm. I can see that. His origin story is still his best, most classic story. Like Spider-man.

Or perhaps it's the fact that i don't like Aaron's plastic iteration of the character and how much i feel Idie's suffered for his advancement within the present narrative. He creates friction, like you said, and there's so much potential for the character to be unleashed amidst his reactions betwixt the characters of the JGS, but 42 issues in and Aaron's decidedly been playing in an extremely small sandbox. *shrugs*

That's definitely a fair criticism, and I totally agree that WatX-men was under-realized at best; I guess to me that's more of a criticism of Aaron than of Quire's character, even if he is the writer who's used him in the most issues.

#22 Edited by Selina_Sublime (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Quire and Idie have oppositely problematic narratives. Idie seems stuck in a rut after an amazing backstory and motivation to be at the school while Quire seems to be progressing quite nicely without much of a why. I think both are promising characters, but there are definite gaps to fill.

I'd like to see Oya called out on her self-hating and see her character evolve from the 'we are all monsters' trope she has been fixated on since Schism, while I'd like to see the inner-machinations of Quire's psyche.

#23 Edited by Cutter (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellion, Dust, and Sofia AKA Wind Dancer,

#24 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I like a lot of that cast, but this book's take on Quire really is great.