• 65 results
#1 Posted by time (5029 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it will be a good idea, to vote 4 best X-Men characters of 2013.

So what characters you think have been writing the best this year. You can vote 4 6 characters.

Here my choices

1) Teen Jean Grey

2) Kitty Pryde

3) Iceman (2 of them) Teen and present Iceman

4) Wolverine

5) Cyclops(adult Cyclops)

6) Magik.

Hope u guys can take part.

#2 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it's always a joy to read Teen Jean Grey and Teen Cyclops. Hell, the O5 travelling to the present turned out a lot better than I thought. (Then again, this is coming from a guy who surprisingly enjoys Superior Spider-Man and put's it in the top of his pile bi-weekly).

Except Warren, who has been dull and angsty and has been consistently mind-wiped since he got to the present. Also, there's something about WatX's Angel what annoys me. Maybe it's because he's too campy.

#3 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

I say it's always a joy to read Teen Jean Grey and Teen Cyclops. Hell, the O5 travelling to the present turned out a lot better than I thought. (Then again, this is coming from a guy who surprisingly enjoys Superior Spider-Man and put's it in the top of his pile bi-weekly).

Except Warren, who has been dull and angsty and has been consistently mind-wiped since he got to the present. Also, there's something about WatX's Angel what annoys me. Maybe it's because he's too campy.

Totally agree except fot the superior spider-man part :P

someone fix present warren already geez

#4 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine is:

1) Magik

2)Teen jean

3) Magneto

4) Storm(shes single again)

5) Teen Iceman(hilarious)

#5 Posted by Jake Fury (18672 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Legion (loved Legacy so far)
  2. Blindfold (Probably my favorite X-Woman right now)
  3. Storm (UXF has been a great revival for her character)
  4. Psylocke (see Storm above)
#6 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Legion and Kitty Pryde.

#7 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

How so?

#8 Edited by adamTRMM (1804 posts) - - Show Bio
@hopesummersforthefuture said:

You don't really read between the lines, do you?

And, Magneto? How?

#9 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:
@hopesummersforthefuture said:

You don't really read between the lines, do you?

And, Magneto? How?

Magneto because he acts like Scott right hand man and is full of useful advice

#10 Posted by adamTRMM (1804 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto because he acts like Scott right hand man and is full of useful advice

This isn't the best for the character like Magneto, when we'll finally see where his shenanigans lead and how badass they are, I will agree.

#11 Edited by dbatdog (541 posts) - - Show Bio

the young jean grey and scott summers are cool

there are no difference between the young and old iceman and beast.

i have no idea what happened to young warren since i'm not reading the cyclops/magneto x-men book.

#12 Posted by Jake Fury (18672 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury said:

How so?

I like her leading her own team again and I love the mohawk!!

#13 Edited by time (5029 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: So teen Jean, Cyclops, Beast and teen Iceman gets your vote. You can vote 4, 2 more characters.

#14 Posted by CheeseSticks (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

No one. This year was so depressing.

#15 Edited by time (5029 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by adamTRMM (1804 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

compare to the last 6 years.

Not per character, but the last six years we had X-force, Kyle\Yost's New X-men and Extinction Team, not to mention Cyclops (the only bad thing he overshadowed pretty much everyone else) development.

What we had this year? BOTA. Nuff said.

#17 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1532 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine is:

1) Magik

2)Teen jean

3) Magneto

5) Teen Iceman(hilarious)

Isn't she banging Wolverine?

I read the Bendis X-books before BOTA so my top 5 are

1) Cyclops

2)Kitty

3)Beast (He's been cool in New Avengers)

4) Namor

5) Jean

#18 Edited by CheeseSticks (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@cheesesticks: really, compare to the last 6 years.

The last 6 years were a lot better than this year. If you think that Bendis and Aaron humor style books are better than Kyle and Yost X-Force + Kieron Gillen Uncanny X-Men, then i don't know what to say.

I'm probably the only one who want a serious tone X-Books.

#19 Posted by time (5029 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: We also had Matt Fraction run, Kieran Gillian run, Wolverine and the X-Men and horrible story that's schism. All of X-ladies were treated badly. The X-force titles were the only good titles. This year we had All new X-Men, uncanny X-Men, Cable and the x-force. Brian Wood X-Men. Savage Wolverine and Japan Most wanted. That's 6 quality titles, out in one year. Most of the characters are being writing well now.

#20 Edited by time (5029 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks: Bendis work on all new X-Men and uncanny X-Men is much better than Kieran Gillian run and Matt Fraction run. All Fraction and Gillian cared about was Cyclops and that's it. Bendis is focusing on all of the characters.

Kyle and Yost X-Force, is the best series over the last 6 years. No writer has been better than them.

#21 Edited by adamTRMM (1804 posts) - - Show Bio
@time said:

Wolverine and the X-Men and horrible story that's schism.

For saying how horrible it was you pretty much dig all it's legacy (JGS) runs, so maybe it wasn't that horrible?

All of X-ladies were treated badly.

All of X-ladies? Kyle\Yost made it clear there are people who pretty sure that every decision Cyclops makes is actually EMMA FROST's decision, and that's why X-men have become so militant. Psylocke shined in UXF. Rogue led Lecacy until it's relaunch. Hope, her ultimate plot and her "heralds", they even received a book. I don't think I've seen love for X-23 on this forum, but she got a lot of spotlight if you care. Jean was dead, maybe that was a problem for you? And everybody knows why Storm wasn't there for the most of time.

This year we had All new X-Men, uncanny X-Men, Cable and the x-force. Brian Wood X-Men. Savage Wolverine and Japan Most wanted. That's 6 quality titles, out in one year. Most of the characters are being writing well now.

Yeah, ANXM, Jean Grey is back, that what matters. But how idiotic this idea was, it doesn't as long as she stays.

Uncanny, it's being a year, and I can tell what happened pretty much in one sentence.

CAXF, this sh*t smells with 90s and it's ridiculous degenerative monsters and other "mysterious" threats to existence itself! The same second I've read that moment in X-sanction where Hope cured Cable I was like "OK, they will have to make some plot now, for him to keep this robotic arm and a reason for him to be powerless", and what did you expect? His arm is atrophied (a robotic arm enhancement) and he was lobotomized and now he's powerless! F*ckin lame, seriously, this book is as atrophied as his arm and everything I hate about the X-men stagnancy and lack of progression.

Wood's All-fem, X-men is the most female dominating franchise, why do we even need an all female line-up? To this moment, Storm co-leading two books and now she fully leads this one. And what about Academy X\New X-men? Yeah, let them rot in a damn limbo.

Like many other X-fans, I'm sick of Wolverine, I don't follow him, I want other characters to shine.

So no, not really an expression of quality for me.

Gillian cared about was Cyclops and that's it.

Not true, how can you overlook multiple sub-plots he was prevented to develop because of AvX? What about Sinister narcissistic egocentric hive-mind race? About Illyana being sick of being called "Snowflake" so hard, she made Colossus become Juggernaut just to tell him "There's no snowflakes in hell." in the end, sacrificing their whole relationship and hurting Colossus so much. What about Unit and whole "five lights" were actually supposed to be some kinda "five heralds of Phoenix Hope", this sub-plot for AvX itself, he prevented them and Hope to become what they were intended to be just to observe "What will happen then?". So P5 might be his manipulation in the end. I really disliked the way he mistreated Magneto, but compared to Fraction it was a decent run. Saying it was Cyclops-centric it's like saying "Hey I didn't read it."

Kyle and Yost X-Force, is the best series over the last 6 years. No writer has been better than them.

At least something we agree on.

#22 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4579 posts) - - Show Bio

the characters I found most entertaining this year were probably..

honorable mention, I'm already glad he's back. :v
#23 Edited by CheeseSticks (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@cheesesticks: Bendis work on all new X-Men and uncanny X-Men is much better than Kieran Gillian run and Matt Fraction run. All Fraction and Gillian cared about was Cyclops and that's it. Bendis is focusing on all of the characters.

Lol what? You're putting Gillen and Fraction in the same sentence? Gillen focused on every member on the Extinction team.

Bendis is out there with Fraction and Austen. Bendis is focusing on every character, but none are written in character. Emma Frost doesn't even act like herself, Magneto act nothing like himself and Cyke started from a leader of a revolution, under Gillen, to a pussy (under Bendis writing). The only X-Men that Bendis is doing justice is Magik.

The pace of Bendis book is also very bad. There's only dialogue and 5 issues could be made into one issue. That's how the pacing is slow. Just look at BOTA.

Gillen, Wood, Yost and Kyle were the best writer we had since Whedon.

#24 Edited by mechem_93 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen was great!

As for character of the year, I would say Magik.

#25 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

Lol what? You're putting Gillen and Fraction in the same sentence? Gillen focused on every member on the Extinction team.

Bendis is out there with Fraction and Austen. Bendis is focusing on every character, but none are written in character. Emma Frost doesn't even act like herself, Magneto act nothing like himself and Cyke started from a leader of a revolution, under Gillen, to a pussy (under Bendis writing). The only X-Men that Bendis is doing justice is Magik.

The pace of Bendis book is also very bad. There's only dialogue and 5 issues could be made into one issue. That's how the pacing is slow. Just look at BOTA.

Gillen, Wood, Yost and Kyle were the best writer we had since Whedon.

slow pace=more books=more money for marvel

Which sucks by the way

#26 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen was great!

As for character of the year, I would say Magik.

Totally agree. I didnt like magik hurting her brother in gilllen though. Bendis is actually making magik more likable

#27 Posted by CheeseSticks (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: Yup, that's why i stopped buying his crap. But like i said, Magik shine under him. That's the only good thing tho.

#28 Posted by MN_Logan (247 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Adult Cyclops

2. Magik

3. Magneto

4. Dr. Nemesis

5. Teen Scott and Jean

#29 Edited by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@tomchu: So teen Jean, Cyclops, Beast and teen Iceman gets your vote. You can vote 4, 2 more characters.

Magneto is actually doing something besides being sidelined, Tempus because she had that one moment where she stopped the Avengers dead in their tracks. Damn right.

#30 Posted by HAWK2916 (1765 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: I agree with this. Well said. The best xmen character this year has been Magik. All new xmen was a bad premise as far as an idea, so thats kinda hard to get past. Bendis talks a good game in interviews but nothing ever happens in his stories. Like someone esle Im a fan of the more serious stories so for Aarons stuff is just ridiculous. The best writers imo jave been Kyle and Yost, Wood, and Remender. Gillens concept of the extinction team was awesome

#31 Posted by darthphoenix (763 posts) - - Show Bio

teen jean

kitty

magik

cyclops

#32 Posted by Farkam (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

Teen X-Men. Except Angel and Jean. They both suck. Adult Cyclops is the bomb.

#33 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

ack-hmm...... Why does jean suck? I think teen angel and teen beast suck. Do we really need another beast, where adult beast brought them here in the first place. Which means it makes no sense what-so-ever.

#34 Posted by Farkam (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

ack-hmm...... Why does jean suck? I think teen angel and teen beast suck. Do we really need another beast, where adult beast brought them here in the first place. Which means it makes no sense what-so-ever.

Jean is one of my least favorite characters, in any form, and so are her doppelganger off-shoots. She is over-powered, has a Worf effect and has a bland personality. This one happens to be both a control freak, misusing her powers and a bit whiny. I like Beast though, doesn't mean I agree with all his actions though.

#35 Edited by jhazzroucher (15825 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm - she's just everywhere. She is awesome in X-men and Uncanny X-Force.

Jubilee

Jean Grey

and Psylocke

#36 Edited by comicbookfan93 (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Eva Bell aka Tempus

#37 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4579 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

Jean and Angel are my least favorite of the original team, too; not because I don't like them, I just don't find them as interesting as most other classic X-men.

That said, I think if any of the "O5" are being kept around, then they all should. I like Jean and Angel with this group, and I like the group as a whole, they just have a cool dynamic between them. Like the Fantastic 4 or the original New Mutants, these characters were just made to go together.

#38 Edited by mechem_93 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Warren and Jean are my favourite of the O5. I don't dislike the other 3 but I do find little Iceman annoying sometimes (adult Iceman too).

#39 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4579 posts) - - Show Bio

Warren and Jean are my favourite of the O5. I don't dislike the other 3 but I do find little Iceman annoying sometimes (adult Iceman too).

sure, but isn't that kind of his thing? he's the X-men's obnoxious kid brother, even as an adult :v

#40 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10507 posts) - - Show Bio

My top 5 for 2013 would be:

1. Magik (breakout star for 2013; a lot of pivotal use under Bendis)

2. Dazzler (her X-Treme X-Men run was great and really gave the character a lot of focus and development; also became a SHIELD agent)

3. Teen Jean/Iceman (big impact and influence on the direction of the X-verse in general with Jean); (Bobby got a lot of impressive focus and development in Astonishing that really explored his power potential under Liu's pen)

4. Kitty Pryde (leading the O5, briefly on the XX-Men team, and notable roles in other titles)

5. Storm (Headmistress,leading her team, co-leading UXF, and lots of appearances in other titles) she has the relevant positions in the X-Verse but really needs the voice and writer focus to propel character and make these roles more pivotal)

#41 Posted by mechem_93 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@mechem_93 said:

sure, but isn't that kind of his thing? he's the X-men's obnoxious kid brother, even as an adult :v

yeah I guess being annoying is/has always been his thing. He is good at it.

#42 Posted by HumanRocket (8209 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty Pride especially during the first fifth-teen issues of All New X-men.

#43 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4579 posts) - - Show Bio

My top 5 for 2013 would be:

5. Storm (Headmistress,leading her team, co-leading UXF, and lots of appearances in other titles) she has the relevant positions in the X-Verse but really needs the voice and writer focus to propel character and make these roles more pivotal)

I genuinely think that Brian Wood really gets Storm's voice, it's just unfortunate that he's only had the chance to write her in a few short arcs so far. But I do feel pretty confident in Storm under his pen.

And, like you say, at least now she's back in the type of prominent role that she should be in.

#44 Edited by adamTRMM (1804 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916:

I guess we want pretty much the same from our X-men. Wood's proto-mutants story was kinda awesome, but what is about to happen between Rachel and Sublime is wrong on so many levels.

#45 Posted by Squares (6714 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops and Wolverine, obviously. They had, hands down, the most accurate character depictions in literally every comic they appeared in.

Rachel Grey came in a close second. She just seems so likable these days.

#46 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

@hawk2916:

I guess we want pretty much the same from our X-men. Wood's proto-mutants story was kinda awesome, but what is about to happen between Rachel and Sublime is wrong on so many levels.

Why do so many people detest Rachel's pursuit for romantic happiness ?

#47 Edited by adamTRMM (1804 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

This.. being, that claims he pretty much behind the whole human/mutant war, behind millions of lost lives. And you call this "pursuit for happiness"? You're trolling me right? Would you call it the same, if it was Storm flirting with Red Skull?

#48 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

@ageofhurricane said:

This.. being, that claims he pretty much behind the whole human/mutant war, behind millions of lost lives. And you call this "pursuit for happiness"? You're trolling me right? Would you call it the same, if it was Storm flirting with Red Skull?

Uh, what ?

Wherever you got that from, Rachel doesn't know this (him being a different person now, notwithstanding). And, like, you give people second chances. The X-Men have had worse additions for moral questioning join their ranks anyways. Wherever she goes, at least she's not rotting away in the depths of the JGS before Wood decided to take the initiative and develop her. People should just give it a chance.

#49 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@mechem_93 said:

I like teen jean and iceman from the "o5". Teen scott just feels like regular adult scott all shy and brooding. warren was annoying when he first appeared in anxm(didnt he make a speech about wanting to go home). Warren was way better in uncanny x-men but now hes going back to anxm(ugh).

#50 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

@ageofhurricane said:

Uh, what ?

Wherever you got that from, Rachel doesn't know this (him being a different person now, notwithstanding). And, like, you give people second chances. The X-Men have had worse additions for moral questioning join their ranks anyways. Wherever she goes, at least she's not rotting away in the depths of the JGS before Wood decided to take the initiative and develop her. People should just give it a chance.

Wait rachel and sublime are a couple??? shocking i didnt know. Sublime is a bad guy and i do think he started some mutant/human wars. Plus isnt sublime responsible for killing jean grey? Yeah that couple would really last, not!