#1 Edited by Zadoulo (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm new to Marvel comics and have no knowledge of X-Men whatsoever but I'm interested in them. I really want to try reading X-men but I don't know which series to get. I think there's like 4 X-men titles: X-Men, Uncanny X-men, and All new X-Men, Uncanny X-force. I just want to hear you guys opinion of which series is the best story, art, consistency, characters, e.t.c....

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

All 4 x books are good( you forgot wolverine and the x-men) but if you only wanna read one, go with ANXN. Just so you know though there is currently an event going on through all four.

#3 Posted by frozenedge (1295 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate X-Men in my opinion is the top one right now. Followed by ANXM, a tie between WATX and X-Men

#4 Posted by Xwraith (19366 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't enjoy any of them. Vol. 4 had a lot of potential, but Wood has been fumbling since issue 3.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (43679 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really feeling any of them. X-Men are in a drought, but at least my Avengers are having some of their best comics and events with Jonathan Hickman at helm :)

#6 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men is my favorite. But if you're new to the X-Men, you probably won't understand a lot of the X-titles right now...unfortunately. However, I say give it a go and see if you do

#7 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7385 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo:

All New X-men comes first followed by Uncanny X-Men. They are great! Also Wolverine and The X-men is consistently good.

#8 Edited by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I read All New and Uncanny, between those I'd go with Uncanny. Read X-Men for 3 issues and dropped it. I didn't think it was very good but most people seemed to like it.

#9 Posted by MrShway88 (669 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny is favorite and this current crossover got me hooked.

#10 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Do not waist your time on Wolverine and the xmen. Uncanny xmen, xmen, ultimate xmen and all new xmen would be the way to go. Although all new drags a bit as does uncanny because of the writer

#11 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-Men are a in a right mess atm. You're better off going for the satellite titles like: Cable and X-Force, Uncanny X-Force, X-Men Legacy (very good) and an upcoming X-Factor, than trying to get caught up in the convoluted fart'splosion that is Bendis-Aaron-men.

And, imho, you shouldn't really heed from the people who're in complete favor of ANXM and Uncanny. Not that adequately knowledgeable in all things X, they're probs just as new as yourself.

#12 Posted by Xwraith (19366 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane: The new Uncanny X-Force is probably the worst comic I've ever read.

#13 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@ageofhurricane: The new Uncanny X-Force is probably the worst comic I've ever read.

Lolol. You'll no qualms from me on that one--that slapdash FantomexXBetsy goin' round the world arc never should have seen the light of day. But new readers don't have any solid context to fall back on, so it's either way.

#14 Edited by Robert2928 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo: Finally I'm useful!!!XD

Btw the term "best" is ultimately subjective and I would avoid it because you will get a million different answers from a million different people lol I'm assuming you have an interest in X-Men and just want to get into a "current" X-Men title opposed to reading past works (I've been there) You said you are new to Marvel comics (don't know if you new to comics all together) so I will just say you are a "casual reader" who is just interested in a fun read. If so, I recommend All New X-Men for 3 reasons.

Reason 1

Not only did I pick it up when I was new to X-Men comics and looking to read something current, I also had my wife (Who kinda likes comic book movies but is not interested in comics) read them and she enjoyed them. Prior my wife only seen comic book movies and wasn't really invested in the characters but after reading All New X-Men she has a favorite character. So if she was also a casual reader in a similar situation to yourself (except she had little/no interest in X-Men) then you will likely enjoy it as well. I would argue it's a fun read too.

Reason 2

All New X-Men keeps the Marvel "man behind the costume" theme fairly well. The characters are interesting along with their relationships with other characters. All New X-Men will teach you about the original X-Men/current X-Men by compare and contrast. I purchased All New X-Men because I just wanted a current X-Men book. I went in blind not knowing what to expect. The art is very well done, the book kinda let's you know what is currently going on in the marvel universe and, best of all, just because you are new doesn't mean you have to know much about the past events to enjoy it.As someone new looking to get a feel of what the X-Men are about not only would I recommend All New X-Men as a starting point for the reasons above but the "best" part is if you enjoy All New X-Men there are other X-Men products just as good (and better) than it. Also it's possible to easily find collected editions of prior events for very reasonable prices online on sites like on amazon.

***Note***

The first volumes or so are kinda like the primer to "catch up" the reader on what's currently going on in Marvel.

If you like All New X-Men you might like Uncanny X-Men so it would be my second recommendation. It runs along side All New X-Men from a different perspective with new mutant characters introduced in All New X-Men. I don't have too much data on X-Men and Uncanny X-Force so I won't say anything on that.

Personal Recommendations

I know you asked for Marvel Now series but if you are generally interested in the X-Men you might enjoy X-Men the Animated Series (from the 90's) or the Astonishing X-Men motion comic. Last I checked both are available on Netflix if you have an account with them.

#15 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

And, imho, you shouldn't really heed from the people who're in complete favor of ANXM and Uncanny. Not that adequately knowledgeable in all things X, they're probs just as new as yourself.

I've been reading X-men comics for 20 years, I've read almost every X-men comic that's ever been printed, and I completely disagree.

Though I'm still on the fence about the current Battle of the Atom crossover, All-New X-Men is a great place for new readers to jump on right now, and Uncanny X-Men is one of the best X-men comics to come out in the last few years. I would recommend it just as highly as Wood's work on X-Men or Ultimate Comics X-Men.

not everyone likes Bendis' writing style, and I can get why, but I'm digging his books right now.

#16 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7301 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

I've been reading X-men comics for 20 years, I've read almost every X-men comic that's ever been printed, and I completely disagree.

Though I'm still on the fence about the current Battle of the Atom crossover, All-New X-Men is a great place for new readers to jump on right now, and Uncanny X-Men is one of the best X-men comics to come out in the last few years. I would recommend it just as highly as Wood's work on X-Men or Ultimate Comics X-Men.

not everyone likes Bendis' writing style, and I can get why, but I'm digging his books right now.

I had you in mind while typing that, and you're one of a kind, but out of all the people who have incessantly expressed their love for ANXM and Bendis' work, the majority of those people just started reading the X-Men. I've observed and deduced.

#17 Edited by John Valentine (16313 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

I'm enjoying ANXM too.

#18 Posted by Squares (7503 posts) - - Show Bio

IMHO, All-new X-men is the only X-title worth reading from Marvel Now, though I've only read an issue or two of the others.

#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

I had you in mind while typing that, and you're one of a kind, but out of all the people who have incessantly expressed their love for ANXM and Bendis' work, the majority of those people just started reading the X-Men. I've observed and deduced.

sure, but even if that's true (which, I don't know that it is or not), it still doesn't invalidate their opinions, in and of itself.

#20 Posted by Dayvid3 (815 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Uncanny X-men

#21 Edited by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

All new X-men: Really fancy art, but I couldn't care less for the story. Most every issue involves the 05 or Kitty Pryde making some grandiose speech.

Uncanny X-men: I want to like the blue team, but this book has left me wanting on a few isuses. I don't particularly care for any of the young mutants and find myself wishing Namor, Danger and Colossus were back in the lineup.

Uncanny X-force: I hate this book. The art is rather odd, Fantomex/Betsy is terribly done and the roster is the tamest X-force to date.

X-men Legacy: I'm not the biggest fan of Legion, but it's something different and I can appreciate that change of pace the book offers.

Cable & X-force: One of the better titles. Cable is interesting again, Domino/Colossus are a pretty cool pairing and Dr. Nemesis/Forge's bickering is always amusing.

X-men: I'm a little on the fence with this book, but I can't judge it properly until after Battle of the Atom is over.

I think that's most of the major titles, but there are a couple coming out soon. I say pick up Cable & X-force, Uncanny and Legacy. Cable's book is fun, Uncanny will keep you up to speed with the majority of the universe and Legacy is something different.

#22 Posted by Zadoulo (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@robert2928: Thank you for your thoughts and helpful advice robert2928, I'm actually been reading comics for a while and been only reading DC's New 52 titles.

#23 Posted by Zadoulo (90 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo said:

: Thank you for your help guys/girls! Do you guys think in your opinion that I could read one of the X-Men titles and read Battle of the Atom and still understand the story?

No? I'm not sure, I've skipped a couple chapters and I'm still following it alright.. but if I was going to say which book is the most important to the story.. probably all-new X-men? after the first couple they all have three or four teams in all of them. I don't even remember which book I read last; it's almost becoming like a parody of a crossover. It is a lot of fun though, if you really want to only pick up just one book, you could just wait until the crossover's over.

This reminds me of one of the first X-men comics I ever read. It was The Uncanny X-Men #295 - X-Cutioner's Song Part Five: ,but the only X-men I knew were the ones from Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #5 - The Battle of Four Armies. I could see this being equally confusing, is all. Anyway, I just waited until the X-cutioner's Song was over.

I picked up The Uncanny X-Men #297 - X-Cutioner's Song Epilogue Songs End - Up and Around, in which Angel and the Beast rebuild a bar that had been destroyed and Xavier and Jubilee go rollerblading. It seems weird in retrospect that that's the issue that started me reading X-men regularly, but there it is.

#25 Posted by Xwraith (19366 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo: Most Marvel books have a "Previously in..." page at the beginning, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

#26 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo said:

@frozenedge: @peppeyhare: @wolverine08: @batmannflash: @madeinbangladesh: @hanson724: @mrshway88: @hawk2916: @xwraith: @oldnightcrawler: @ageofhurricane: @john_valentine: @squares: @rickbarry: Thank you for your help guys/girls! Do you guys think in your opinion that I could read one of the X-Men titles and read Battle of the Atom and still understand the story?

1. It depends which X book you pick.

2. When it comes to the actual BoTM issues you'll probably be lost if you skip from part 1 to 5 or whatever

#27 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4717 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@zadoulo: Most Marvel books have a "Previously in..." page at the beginning, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

oh, yeah! I always forget that that's there..

#28 Posted by Zadoulo (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

oh, yeah! I always forget that that's there..

Oh, that's nice. Thanks for the info.

#29 Posted by frozenedge (1295 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo: You'd be alright. Like mentioned above most of them have a previously in section right before the beginning telling you what happened so far but if you missed one of BOTA chapters yo 'might' be alright since they usually retell you what happened somehow in the next chapter

#30 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7385 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo said:

@frozenedge: @peppeyhare: @wolverine08: @batmannflash: @madeinbangladesh: @hanson724: @mrshway88: @hawk2916: @xwraith: @oldnightcrawler: @ageofhurricane: @john_valentine: @squares: @rickbarry: Thank you for your help guys/girls! Do you guys think in your opinion that I could read one of the X-Men titles and read Battle of the Atom and still understand the story?

1. It depends which X book you pick.

2. When it comes to the actual BoTM issues you'll probably be lost if you skip from part 1 to 5 or whatever

you will most likely be lost and will not get the whole experience. I suggest wait for the trade.

#31 Edited by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

You could wait for the trade or you could get my copies as Im up to date since I help the guys unload everything at the Comic shop in my city. You can get em bro no problem and don't spend your money just shoot me an email and i'll ship it out to you

#32 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I don't enjoy any of them. Vol. 4 had a lot of potential, but Wood has been fumbling since issue 3.

This.

#33 Posted by HAWK2916 (1895 posts) - - Show Bio

Wood is the best writer they have at the moment

#34 Posted by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo: You should either wait for the trade or get them all. You couldn't follow it if you don't read them all seeing as how they're not tie-ins they're each a chapter of the same story. And it's not that great of a story IMO.

#35 Posted by LCazT1996 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

DEFINITELY recommend All-New X-Men.

I've been reading Wolverine and the X-Men and read the first volume of the new Uncanny X-Men book. They're good, but I 100% recommend All-New. I'm also really looking forward to Amazing X-Men (which starts next month)

#36 Posted by jhazzroucher (16149 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men

\

and Uncanny X-Force

#37 Posted by BlackFreight (3 posts) - - Show Bio

All-New X-Men is an outstanding read. After reading the X-Men books since 1983, this run, despite what I thought would be a limited story, has really had a fun presence and is a welcome change-of-pace from the usual story in this end of Marvel. The art is usually crisp and there was a lot of thought put into the difference in lifestyles from the 60's to the current times.

X-Men has had a good start, but hasn't had enough issues to make a full opinion on, yet.

Uncanny X-Men's current run has been interesting as some of the X-Men's most powerful mutants have had their powers changed and broken while trying a change of tactics at a time when the X-Men's purpose has become muddy. There's been a lot of good interaction between not just the main characters, but their sub-characters and families. My only complaint is a couple of odd speeches by Cyclops that seems too close-minded for the character's usual thoughfulness.