Which X-Man could protect a city solo?

• 56 results
Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We're talking DC style, Superman and Metropolis, Batman and Gotham, Flash and Central City.

Who do you think has the skills/powers/brains/muscle to do it?

and who could make it the most interesting read?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: probably storm. X-Man too

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

That's kind of the point, isn't it? The X-men are a team (or teams), and I've always thought part of the reason for that was because they're not great at solving problems solo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: well the avengers and justice league are both teams yet many also have solo titles that protect their own cities so this should be okay. Im sure a couple of the x-men could be able to do it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martinceld: I'm aware that the Avengers and the Justice League have members that protect cities on their own.

And while I'm sure there's a decent number of X-men that would be capable of it, I don't know that they'd be a good fit for protecting a city on their own.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

That's kind of the point, isn't it? The X-men are a team (or teams), and I've always thought part of the reason for that was because they're not great at solving problems solo.

Very true, i fully expect that if Wolverine were to try to protect a city he'd be able to hold it down for a month before he reached a point where someone outsmarted him. Alternatively Storm could hold it down for two or three, before either she snapped at something not going her way or someone with powers tried to fight her and they end up taking out a city.

There's no denying that their teammates, but we've seen them all work on their own from time to time so some would have better success then others....while probably eventually failing because of a trait they lack.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@martinceld: I'm aware that the Avengers and the Justice League have members that protect cities on their own.

And while I'm sure there's a decent number of X-men that would be capable of it, I don't know that they'd be a good fit for protecting a city on their own.

Same way as JL and A would. Use your logic and you will know how good they fit for protecting a city on their own. Maybe use X-man for example. I'm sure you will agree :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler
No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@koays: Exactly.I thought any hero can protect a city no matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv said:

@squares said:

@koays: Exactly.I thought any hero can protect a city no matter.

I didn't say that.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on what threats they have to deal with. Most of the X-Men would lose at fighting Superman and Flash's rogues gallery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv: What are you going on about? First you edit a quote of me to include some nonsensical statement about how 'any hero can protect a city no matter', and then you just agree with me not saying that? Seriously, what are you trying to say?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: Standard threats, gangs, robberies and some organized crime on the street level. With maybe a few of their own personal rogues gallery sprinkled in with some random superhuman threats.

@oldnightcrawler- Why Iceman if you dont mind?

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what threats they have to deal with. Most of the X-Men would lose at fighting Superman and Flash's rogues gallery.

Silly. Well guess what. This is not a Superman or Flash or DC or Jl, or Batman's thread. I'm so eye-opener that people like you treat those DC characters as a GOD. If I can recollect this correctly, there is no such thing of GOD cause even GODS have fall down. I know cause I saw Superman getting defeat a lot of time.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 4U2NV

@squares said:

@4u2nv: What are you going on about? First you edit a quote of me to include some nonsensical statement about how 'any hero can protect a city no matter', and then you just agree with me not saying that? Seriously, what are you trying to say?

Don't get hyper. I just use your nonsensical statement to complete my sentence. Which you can see what was my suggestion. You didn't said that and I say Exactly (which you should). I believe any hero can protect a city because is their duty. There is a reason why being a hero you need to do such thing like protecting people as well cities. Either you are an A or Jl as well an xm. Is what I was trying to say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv: Well, first of all, you said it poorly.

Second, I don't think you understand that this thread is about X-men protecting cities SOLO. You know, entire cities on their own? Without outside help? That's not something any X-man can do.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Second, I don't think you understand that this thread is about X-men protecting cities SOLO. You know, entire cities on their own? Without outside help? That's not something any hero can do.

of course I understand. It's the reason why I told you to take X-man as an example and that you will understand and agree with me :)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: it would at least be funny

At first I was going to say Madrox, because I think cheating is funny. Madrox is one guy, but he's never solo in that he can be in hundreds of places at once, and so has the experience and expertise of several lifetimes.

But then I realized that Iceman can also be in hundreds of places at once, and be simultaneously aware of any or all of them. He can rebuild himself anywhere there's moisture, no matter how far away it is. Meaning not only can he teleport himself anywhere, he's also effectively indestructible and therefore immortal on top of all of the offensive and defensive things he can create out of ice.

I don't think Iceman ever would take solo responsibility for a city or anything because it's not really in his personality, but I do think that technically his power-set makes him the one most able to.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM

May I take a duo?

No Caption Provided

I miss K/Y :(

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

At first I was going to say Madrox, because I think cheating is funny. Madrox is one guy, but he's never solo in that he can be in hundreds of places at once, and so has the experience and expertise of several lifetimes.

But then I realized that Iceman can also be in hundreds of places at once, and be simultaneously aware of any or all of them. He can rebuild himself anywhere there's moisture, no matter how far away it is. Meaning not only can he teleport himself anywhere, he's also effectively indestructible and therefore immortal on top of all of the offensive and defensive things he can create out of ice.

I don't think Iceman ever would take solo responsibility for a city or anything because it's not really in his personality, but I do think that technically his power-set makes him the one most able to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv said:

@squares said:

Second, I don't think you understand that this thread is about X-men protecting cities SOLO. You know, entire cities on their own? Without outside help? That's not something any hero can do.

of course I understand. It's the reason why I told you to take X-man as an example and that you will understand and agree with me :)

I don't agree with you at all. X-man was, at one point, powerful enough to protect a city, but I don't think he'd have the patience, understanding or experience necessary to do it properly.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Characters that can fight without powers or can block/take bullets and heavy hits would probably last longer. Obviously everyone has a blind spot or a weakness someone can exploit to take them down without plot saving them. Someone like M who's versatility and intelligence would be very useful but with the cost of having a tough rogue after her like Emplate, many of the X-Men have regular human durability which will lead to a stray attack taking them out by themselves, and people with powerful abilities like Omega and Alpha mutants would last far longer with regular threats but most of them have enemies that are just as powerful.

As far as who'd last the longest: Monet (being good at everything), Fantomex (resources with E.V.A., useful abilities, skilled), Danger(durable,energy blasts, machine control, knowledgeable), and Warpath(enhanced stats in everything, skilled)

Funniest to read: Monet, Fantomex, Danger, and Multiple Man would all be interesting to read protecting a city

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv said:

@night4345 said:

Silly. Well guess what. This is not a Superman or Flash or DC or Jl, or Batman's thread. I'm so eye-opener that people like you treat those DC characters as a GOD. If I can recollect this correctly, there is no such thing of GOD cause even GODS have fall down. I know cause I saw Superman getting defeat a lot of time.

Chill out, man.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Characters that can fight without powers or can block/take bullets and heavy hits would probably last longer. Obviously everyone has a blind spot or a weakness someone can exploit to take them down without plot saving them. Someone like M who's versatility and intelligence would be very useful but with the cost of having a tough rogue after her like Emplate, many of the X-Men have regular human durability which will lead to a stray attack taking them out by themselves, and people with powerful abilities like Omega and Alpha mutants would last far longer with regular threats but most of them have enemies that are just as powerful.

As far as who'd last the longest: Monet (being good at everything), Fantomex (resources with E.V.A., useful abilities, skilled), Danger(durable,energy blasts, machine control, knowledgeable), and Warpath(enhanced stats in everything, skilled)

Funniest to read: Monet, Fantomex, Danger, and Multiple Man would all be interesting to read protecting a city

Please. If you want to talk about "Omega or Alpha mutants" take that to the Omega-Level Thread. Now as someone tried to corrected me (and I think she just became my BF "Square"), this is a thread about which X-Men can Protect a City Solo and I use X-Man as an example... so what's yours :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv: I'm not your BF, and my name is Squares.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4u2nv: uh.. Not sure how to respond...

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 4U2NV

@squares said:

@4u2nv: I'm not your BF, and my name is Squares.

I know. Just didn't add the S cause you will sound a lot :)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Lmao! Why is that not an ongoing?

@oldnightcrawler -Lol, probably should've disqualified Madrox then....If Iceman protects a city in say Texas, I can see him leaving enemies extremely paranoid of every puddle or change in temperature. It would be awesome...an yet he's more likely to have a snowman butler bring him warm drinks then to proactively defend a city...sad yet Bobby

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

lol I know right?

But really, I think anyone can be this kind of a hero.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Like all of them pretty much could lol

Storm has protected an entire nation, then people like Wolverine, Iceman, Nightcrawler, even like Angel with only wings can do just about what it needs to protect a city against most threats, they are all (or mostly) skilled in hand to hand, so yea.

The thing is they fight for the mutant cause, they fight to unite two races or whatever so yea i dont think NONE of htem would be as interesting to read. So ability wise sure i think they all could, would they be able to do it with out getting canceled prolly not lol

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@adamtrmm: Lmao! Why is that not an ongoing?

@oldnightcrawler -Lol, probably should've disqualified Madrox then....If Iceman protects a city in say Texas, I can see him leaving enemies extremely paranoid of every puddle or change in temperature. It would be awesome...an yet he's more likely to have a snowman butler bring him warm drinks then to proactively defend a city...sad yet Bobby

That's kind of my favorite thing about Iceman: he's got god-like powers on par with someone like Swamp Thing (if not more so), but he's kind of just a goofball who wants to fit in. There's a great duality there that really makes him pretty singular among X-men characters.

Unless you count Rockslide, I guess, who theoretically could become even more powerful, but Rockslide's very much like the Iceman of his generation...

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By poisonfleur
No Caption Provided

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Magneto could practically defend a country from invasion.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I think Bobby's a little wider in scale then even Swamp Thing, what with the weather aspect of his powers. I always figured that at one point or another he'd go through a maturing phase where he'd have to step up as the experienced leader of a younger team, or even try to balance being a leader with his goofball side (similar to what i think they tried to do when Nightcrawler led a team for a while and had issues with the responsibility ). It's an interesting part of his character that i'd have liked to see as a follow up to the development he had at the end of Astonishing.

Rockslide seems to genuinely be a very on the surface character with no depth. And thats perfect. He's the one character i'd like to see become more powerful, simply because he wouldnt be just about his power.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MakkyD

Wolverine has the power of omnipresence and money making, both very useful skills for when a hero wishes to go solo.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its completely believable that a Solo X-Man could protect a city. It's actually really stupid to state they couldn't. The fact is that comparing them to Superman is not all that far off anyway. Even HE gets his ass handed to him regularly. To say that a solo x-man couldn't do it coz they're "normal durability" is also bullshit as the most popular of all heroes is only a human himself... All heroes have weaknesses their foes try to exploit. Thats the way the game works. Seriously... Most of the X-Men had their solo lives before being drafted to the house of X...

The question from the OP was which x-man COULD do it. Not WOULD they. And there are several who could.

Storm

Iceman

Monet

Angel/Archangel

Psylocke

Gambit

others too...

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: I think Bobby's a little wider in scale then even Swamp Thing, what with the weather aspect of his powers. I always figured that at one point or another he'd go through a maturing phase where he'd have to step up as the experienced leader of a younger team, or even try to balance being a leader with his goofball side (similar to what i think they tried to do when Nightcrawler led a team for a while and had issues with the responsibility ). It's an interesting part of his character that i'd have liked to see as a follow up to the development he had at the end of Astonishing.

Nightcrawler may be fun-loving and fun, but he was never a goofball like Iceman. If anything, he's kind of the opposite.

For his whole original tenure with the team (1975-86) he was the least powerful member of the group, and was constantly training in new skills to make himself more useful to the team. He learned to be the team's pilot, jet mechanic, and medic on top of his already impressive skills as a swordsman and acrobat. He always seemed like he felt he had a duty to his friends to be as responsible as possible..

Iceman didn't even bother to master his own powers until well into the 90's..

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Nightcrawler may be fun-loving and fun, but he was never a goofball like Iceman. If anything, he's kind of the opposite.

For his whole original tenure with the team (1975-86) he was the least powerful member of the group, and was constantly training in new skills to make himself more useful to the team. He learned to be the team's pilot, jet mechanic, and medic on top of his already impressive skills as a swordsman and acrobat. He always seemed like he felt he had a duty to his friends to be as responsible as possible..

Iceman didn't even bother to master his own powers until well into the 90's..

True, my point being that Nightcrawler struggling with the pressures of leadership may have been a better character arc for Iceman then for the character who'd already shown on two seperate teams that he brought something of value to a group. It's why i said they "tried" because that character arc didn't go anywhere because it was just another instance of unnecessary self doubt for Kurt, while for Bobby it could've been a character making moment. Instead of being stuck in grumpy in Ice form...which i believe he was around that time

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Moonlighterstone

I'm sure they all can apply for the hero thing to protect the city. Here is what I think.

Jean can protect the galaxy (since she's consider to be so powerful) such of when there is a comet coming, she can stop it.

Magneto and Xavier can protect basically all the cities form all around the state or planet (Xavier can sense enemy with his cerebro and magneto... well I guess everything else).

Storm can protect her ppl from Wakanda which is an African nation in the Marvel universe ruled by the Black Panther.

Icaman can stop the global warming.

I'm sure they can protect this city on solo.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

True, my point being that Nightcrawler struggling with the pressures of leadership may have been a better character arc for Iceman then for the character who'd already shown on two seperate teams that he brought something of value to a group. It's why i said they "tried" because that character arc didn't go anywhere because it was just another instance of unnecessary self doubt for Kurt, while for Bobby it could've been a character making moment. Instead of being stuck in grumpy in Ice form...which i believe he was around that time

yeah, I could see that being cool, actually..

get it?

cool?bwahahahaha!

but, yeah.. Iceman.. you kind of have to take him out of his comfort zone a bit for him to really shine, but I like him most when that's where he's at. It's actually something I was intrigued with about when he first came to the new school, that it seemed like they were going to take him more in that direction, but it just kind of never really happened.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Iceman, Firestar, Storm, Colossus, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Magneto, Polaris, Havok, …. to many damn X-Men to name.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: agreed. I think quite a few X-Men can handle protecting a city solo. Outside of some high grade threats most standard city threats should be manageable for a good number of the X-Men.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

yeah, I could see that being cool, actually..

get it?

cool?bwahahahaha!

but, yeah.. Iceman.. you kind of have to take him out of his comfort zone a bit for him to really shine, but I like him most when that's where he's at. It's actually something I was intrigued with about when he first came to the new school, that it seemed like they were going to take him more in that direction, but it just kind of never really happened.

I think i'm going to ignore that outburst....not that i'm giving you the cold shoulder or anything.....(lol, see what i did there?)

i digress

It's Iceman's curse i think that he gets very little growth no matter what happens to him. And i think that would be cool (see did it again) if he at least was treated as more then just the funny guy in a group shot, and actually as a member of the team for 15-20 years....at this point the writers have made almost all the students ever seem more competent and that makes him almost makes him the biggest joke, instead of the coolest joker (and that's 3)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Lol, so we have a new one of these I already commented in. Do I post that comment here or should I just name new ones?