Which writer has the best X-Men run, from these

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Poll Which writer has the best X-Men run, from these (53 votes)

All-New X-Men (Bendis) 9%
Uncanny X-Men (Bendis) 17%
Uncanny X-Men (Kieron Gillen) 47%
Uncanny X-Men (Matt Fraction) 23%
Wolverine and the X-Men (Jason Aaron) Volume 1 26%
Wolverine and the X-Men (Jason La Tour) Volume 2 4%

With Bendis leaving the X-Men titles, I'm interested to know how popular his titles are compare to previous writers. I decided to start with these writers first.

Please pick your favourite from the lists and rate the titles from best to worst.

• 
Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dear God this is ugly...

Worst to Best

Latour, Aaron, Bendis(All New), Bendis Uncanny, Fraction then Gillen.

Fraction and Bendis' Uncanny are neck and neck with Bendis never having a higher moment then Fraction's good stuff, but still being better on average then a non event Fraction issue.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Dear God this is ugly...

Worst to Best

Fraction and Bendis' Uncanny are neck and neck with Bendis never having a higher moment then Fraction's good stuff, but still being better on average then a non event Fraction issue.

So Gillen had the best run out of these. His writing was so boring though.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is what I think

Best

All-New X-Men (Bendis)

Uncanny X-Men (Bendis)

Ok

Wolverine and the X-Men (Jason Aaron), although at times the writing was very bad and very childish. There were some decent issues, not many, but some.

Worst

Uncanny X-Men (Matt Fraction), I lost interest in the series after Sisterhood story arc.

Uncanny X-Men (Kieron Gillen), nice line-up, such a boring series.

Wolverine and the X-Men (Jason La Tour), worst ever, I only like one issue.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@koays said:

Dear God this is ugly...

Worst to Best

So Gillen had the best run out of these. His writing was so boring though.

Gillen probably had a week narrative, since there wasn't much going on outside of whatever the big bad of the arc was doing. But his Mr. Sinister arcs, and the AvX Consequences issues were the better then most.

Fraction's regular issues didn't stand out much because it was alot going on, but his Dark Reign, Utopia, Second Coming, and Fear It's Self arcs were all exciting and strongly written with a lot of great character moments.

Bendis' Uncanny just suffers so much from pacing (both internal and external) that it's hard to defend despite being written well. And in the end reading it from start to finish feels like nothing happened and then it was over. (though perhaps his last issue can reddem)

All New is poor quality. There's no direction to the series from Trial of Jean Grey onwards which is more then half the series...but it's at least interesting

..All New is still better then Aaron which was bounced between being anti-climatic or a self parody after AvX and really just sucked the life out of the JGS.

And Latour.... Latour has the worst X-Men run of all time and Chuck Austen is somewhere laughing at it.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time:

You just called Gillen boring and then highlighted Bendis both books....................................

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all-new x-men first then uncanny x-men bendis

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

People actually liked Kieron Gillen's work on Uncanny...???

I thought Fractions run on Uncanny was waaaayy better.

Pikachunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pikachunicorn

Kieron Gillen is one of my favourite writers ever, so y'know.

He kinda makes me proud to be British!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler

of these, I think Bendis' Uncanny X-Men is by far the most interesting and memorable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

None of them.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

From this list Gillen and Fraction were the best. Then Bendis is a far distant third and worthy of not wver being mentioned again followed by both Aaron and Latour both needing to be driven to the desert and dumped in a hole for their work

sian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

Here is what I think

Best

All-New X-Men (Bendis)

Uncanny X-Men (Bendis)

Ok

Wolverine and the X-Men (Jason Aaron), although at times the writing was very bad and very childish. There were some decent issues, not many, but some.

Worst

Uncanny X-Men (Matt Fraction), I lost interest in the series after Sisterhood story arc.

Uncanny X-Men (Kieron Gillen), nice line-up, such a boring series.

Wolverine and the X-Men (Jason La Tour), worst ever, I only like one issue.

Hard to pick the best out of that rogue's gallery but the worst is definitely Fraction's run - most of the X Men were reduced to cameo roles and every story revolved around Scott and Emma. Who came across as completely unlikeable.

I started to lose interest in Uncanny X Men about then.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol this is a joke. Bendis is an awful team writer. It's a fact. He concentrates on one person and leaves a bad taste in the mouth once it's done. At least Gillen and Fraction had their adults act like, well... ADULTS. Both Bendis and Aaron (loved the beginning of WatX), made all the X-Men talk like they were 12-15 years old. I know most of you must be teenagers, but let's get real. I'm 31 years old and I would never talk like they do. Bendis and Aaron treated the whole franchise like a joke, and it was very apparent. Gillen and Fraction are the only two who had appropriate dialog and held respect for the industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dman1366 said:

Lol this is a joke. Bendis is an awful team writer. It's a fact. He concentrates on one person and leaves a bad taste in the mouth once it's done. At least Gillen and Fraction had their adults act like, well... ADULTS. Both Bendis and Aaron (loved the beginning of WatX), made all the X-Men talk like they were 12-15 years old. I know most of you must be teenagers, but let's get real. I'm 31 years old and I would never talk like they do. Bendis and Aaron treated the whole franchise like a joke, and it was very apparent. Gillen and Fraction are the only two who had appropriate dialog and held respect for the industry.

yup

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:
  1. Lol this is a joke. Bendis is an awful team writer. It's a fact.
  2. He concentrates on one person and leaves a bad taste in the mouth once it's done.
  3. At least Gillen and Fraction had their adults act like, well... ADULTS. Both Bendis and Aaron (loved the beginning of WatX), made all the X-Men talk like they were 12-15 years old. I know most of you must be teenagers, but let's get real. I'm 31 years old and I would never talk like they do.
  4. Bendis and Aaron treated the whole franchise like a joke, and it was very apparent. Gillen and Fraction are the only two who had appropriate dialog and held respect for the industry.

1. that's not a fact.

2. matters of taste are, by definition, opinions.

3. I'm 35 and I don't think there's anything that weird about the dialogue; adults can be as childish as children. Also, being 35, I don't really feel entitled to be the target audience. It makes sense for writers of superhero comics to write to teenagers, since that's when most people start reading them. I love superhero comics, partially because they let me feel like a kid, but if writers started writing them to appeal only to adults, I doubt they'd stay in business. I doubt I'd like them as much.

4. Gillen and Fraction were boring.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say Gillen as I found his Sinister/later uncanny issues to be incredibly strong. The Emma/Scott throwdown and Magik/Colossus reveal were fantastic.

Fraction was bad, but he had some amusing moments. Colossus bringing a bunch of Russian prostitutes to the mansion. Those horrible U-men? Funny stuff.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UXM Bendis

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dman1366

@oldnightcrawler: you're totally right, what was I thinking? Clearly Bendis is the best x-writer of all time. His run is infallible and no one will ever be able to match the quality of his work.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@oldnightcrawler: you're totally right, what was I thinking? Clearly Bendis is the best x-writer of all time. His run is infallible and no one will ever be able to match the quality of his work.

hey, I wasn't trying to imply that either. Bendis has done lots of crap I don't care for and I feel like he's not even in the same league as the best X-men writers.

But opinions aren't facts, superhero comics should at least be for kids, and you should be old enough to acknowledge that, right?

anyway, thanks for the mature, adult response :P

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dman1366

@oldnightcrawler: I admit that I use sarcasm and extremes as an argument. And I agree that opinions are not facts. I also agree that at the very least, in the literal sense, superhero comics should be for kids. That does not mean that all superhero comics should be directed to kids. I think it would be easy to lobby that adults collect more comic books, and read more comic books, then children do.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@oldnightcrawler: I admit that I use sarcasm and extremes as an argument. And I agree that opinions are not facts. I also agree that at the very least, in the literal sense, superhero comics should be for kids. That does not mean that all superhero comics should be directed to kids.

I think it would be easy to lobby that adults collect more comic books, and read more comic books, then children do.

I'm not sure what you mean by this last part.

I'm just saying, if you see X-men on the front of a comic book, I don't know why anyone would assume it was not intended for at least kids. They were like the Super Friends of the 90's.

I mean, they do use some of the characters to tell stories aimed more at adults with stuff like X-Factor or Uncanny X-Force or the MAX stuff, and they seem to consciously illustrate those books to appeal to more refined aesthetics and more organic pallets, visually distancing themselves from the more brightly colored all-ages stuff.

But the flagship title with Bubblegum Bachalo? If this one's not supposed to be for kids, I don't know which one is.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: The last part was just saying that it could be assumed that the industry is almost entirely fueled by adult readers. I understand that children USED to read comics, but I honestly don't think that is the case anymore. With that being said, I think that Marvel should take itself more seriously as a medium, and start gearing all it's titles towards adults, like us.

I totally agree with what you're saying however. UXM is totally geared to children, or at least in part. And so is the majority of the titles on the market from Marvel and DC.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@oldnightcrawler: The last part was just saying that it could be assumed that the industry is almost entirely fueled by adult readers. I understand that children USED to read comics, but I honestly don't think that is the case anymore. With that being said, I think that Marvel should take itself more seriously as a medium, and start gearing all it's titles towards adults, like us.

I don't know.. that seems a bit entitled and short-sighted for me. I mean, they already make more comics for adults now than they ever have before, but I don't see why they would stop trying to be for kids as well. Even as an adult fan, I don't want to have to read serious stories all the time to enjoy the X-men.

I totally agree with what you're saying however. UXM is totally geared to children, or at least in part. And so is the majority of the titles on the market from Marvel and DC.

Maybe it's the majority, I dunno. But that's always been part of Marvel and DC, and I don't see that as a negative to either. If that means some of the characters I like are in stories that aren't aimed at me, so be it.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Is it entitled and short sighted? I mean, when I go to any comic book stores, all I ever see are adults. I have seen kids seldom. I would guess the same is true for everyone, but who knows, people often lie on the internet to make a point. I never said stop making them for kids. But maybe have a line that is exclusively for children is all I am saying.
Ultimately, who cares all around. None of it matters in reality.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

You mention respect and Fraction in the same sentence. Are you serious?

What respect did Fraction show Magneto, Wolverine & Emma Frost.

Matt Fraction wrote the worst version of Magneto ever. When Magneto join the X-Men, he was on his kneels hailing Cyclops as Caesar. What respect did Fraction show X-Men fans and Magneto fans, when he made that happen. Magneto would never, ever do that. To make matters worse, he was portray as being weak and he became Cyclops little-lapdog.

Then he turn Wolverine into a weirdo, by having him keep a lock of Jean Grey hair.

Then he wrote the worst version of Emma Frost. All he ever did was turn her into some sort of sex toy. Matt Fraction and Greg Land only care about making her look good. When Namor join the X-Men, it became about him trying to get into Emma Frost Snickers. Emma also let Cyclops do whatever he wants.

Fraction wrote the worst characterization ever, in X-Men history.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gillen, but the list is tough because I consider none of them particularly great for the X-Men. Bendis single-handedly turned me off of the X-Men and the Avengers once he got on those titles...and I was a Bendis fan prior to his run on both! I agree with the overall sentiment that he isn't the best choice for a team book.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixofthetides: I was a huge fan of Bendis before his avengers. I loved daredevil, ultimate universe, and powers.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@phoenixofthetides: I was a huge fan of Bendis before his avengers. I loved daredevil, ultimate universe, and powers.

Same here. I just don't think that his tone is quite right for the X-Men or the Avengers. It's a very destructive and deconstructed approach to superheroes - not quite the right tone.

Padsworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're all awful. They made me quit X-Men and I have no desire to ever return.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gillen

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers