#1 Posted by BlueAya (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone, I started reading X-Men comics not too long ago. When I decided I wanted to read X-Men I was having trouble deciding where I wanted to begin. So what I did was I've been reading the very first X-Men published and am trying to read up all the way to the current issues. I also read Wolverine and the X-Men and have started All New X-Men. So I'm trying to bulldoze my way through the older issues so I can catch up to what I'm reading now. I want to know the history and everything, the Wikis aren't enough. So my question is when does the X-Men actually start becoming an Academy filled with students. I mean I know that they're all considered students, but I mean when does the school actually become more populated and it's not just the team that Xavier sends out on missions? I had to stop at The Uncanny X-Men issue #154 because the Marvel unlimited comic subscription didn't have a lot of those issues after that. So there's a huge gap and I'm kinda stuck now. I think I read that the next recruit is Rogue. Anyway, also do you have any suggestions where I can easily access the issues following issue 154?

Sorry that was a really jam packed post, but thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (12341 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it started at issue 410 of Uncanny Xmen but I might be wrong though.

#3 Posted by BlueAya (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow so I have a long way to go then?

#4 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (12341 posts) - - Show Bio

@blueaya: I mean if you watch the 90's cartoon of the x men you pretty much get the feel for the x men in the 90's .

#5 Edited by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

If you mean students like it is currently, you'd have a lot of reading to do. I read all uncanny X-men and it took till around the 2nd post said.

#6 Posted by TheGwailo (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read probably 90% of everything X-Men, so maybe I can help out here.

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters wasn't really a school full of kids for a pretty long time. Most of the time the school is home to the X-Men you've heard of, and a few kids and random mutants in training. This was the case for most of the 70's and 80's. In the 90's, in Uncanny X-Men you have the Gold Team, (Storm, Archangel, Bishop, Colossus, Iceman, Jean Grey) and they have the occasional student mutant show up to move the story along and whatnot. Same for the X-Men series, with Blue Team (Cyclops, Wolverine, Psylocke, Gambit, Jubilee, Forge, etc.) and a few new guys that became popular later.

It's not until way later, when Professor X goes public during Grant Morrison's 2001 New X-Men (which is actually X-Men vol. 2 #114-156) that you start to get all kinds of new students and the school's name is changed to the Xavier Institute. It's around this time that all of the X-books (like Uncanny #410) start to show the mansion as what it is usually portrayed as these days, which is a boarding school full of wild kids.

#7 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4281 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read probably 90% of everything X-Men, so maybe I can help out here.

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters wasn't really a school full of kids for a pretty long time. Most of the time the school is home to the X-Men you've heard of, and a few kids and random mutants in training. This was the case for most of the 70's and 80's. In the 90's, in Uncanny X-Men you have the Gold Team, (Storm, Archangel, Bishop, Colossus, Iceman, Jean Grey) and they have the occasional student mutant show up to move the story along and whatnot. Same for the X-Men series, with Blue Team (Cyclops, Wolverine, Psylocke, Gambit, Jubilee, Forge, etc.) and a few new guys that became popular later.

It's not until way later, when Professor X goes public during Grant Morrison's 2001 New X-Men (which is actually X-Men vol. 2 #114-156) that you start to get all kinds of new students and the school's name is changed to the Xavier Institute. It's around this time that all of the X-books (like Uncanny #410) start to show the mansion as what it is usually portrayed as these days, which is a boarding school full of wild kids.

yeah, except that in the 80's, the original New Mutants went to school there, along with Kitty. So it had a bit of that school feel until about '87 or so.

#8 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3453 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think you have that much to catch up on if you just want to see where it started and avoid the melodrama: Grant Morrison's run on "New X-Men" (2001-2004) is when it started - X-Men 114 - 154. While I was a big fan of the '80s New Mutants team, there were so few students that it didn't get the feeling you are referring to until "New X-Men" and the relaunch of "New Mutants" in 2003.

Yep; agree with Gwailo.

#9 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@blueaya:

I'd just flat out read New X-Men and New X-Men, same title name, same school setting, but different tone. New X-Men (Morrison) focused more on the core team of X-Men (Cyclops, Jean, Emma, Beast, and Wolverine) with appearances and issues dedicated to some of the students and had a more serious tone to it. And New X-Men (initially Weir and DeFilippis then Kyle and Yost) actually focused mostly on a group of students in a student body in the school setting (my personal favorite).

#10 Posted by BlueAya (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok thank you everyone I appreciate the help