Posted by time (4950 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: What couple should reunite (109 votes)

Rogue & Gambit 18%
Kitty & Colossus 15%
Psylocke & Archangel 3%
Jean & Scott 15%
Emma & Scott 21%
Cable & Domino 2%
Hellion & X-23 4%
Storm & Black Panther 7%
Dazzler and Longshot 3%
Cannonball & Boom Boom 6%
Other 6%
#201 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

wanted/implied Rachel to be Logan and Jean's child

I think I'd love Rachel more than I already do if this were the case...

(also, amazing use of that meme, always brightens my day when I see it)

#202 Posted by Avenger85 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_:

But thank the heavens that theory's proven to be wrong. :P

#203 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:

wanted/implied Rachel to be Logan and Jean's child

I think I'd love Rachel more than I already do if this were the case...

(also, amazing use of that meme, always brightens my day when I see it)

Just curious: Why?

#204 Posted by Mercy_ (92676 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Jean x Logan more than I ever liked Jean x Scott

ducks and runs for cover

#205 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: AH! That's explains everything LMAO.

#206 Edited by Rickbarry (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: W...what!? -Optic blasts into oblivion.-

I want to take my vote back. Domilossus is too good to break up.

#207 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenger85: Actually and I'm certain that many people at CV believe the contrary, I'm not a Scott-Jean zealot. Actually I'm more of a let these characters ride off into the sunset and quit f***ing them up zealot. However to comment on the cover, I've learned to take covers with a grain of salt, as most are just to generate shock value in some way to make you pick up the issue. Thus far only Iceman has escaped Jean's clutches, but we could Kevin Bacon him from Emma to Jean. Actually I really like the love ...square(?) of Warren, Logan and Scott vying for Jean's affections. That was a great John Bolton back up too...

#208 Posted by Avenger85 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis:

Oh nono I never implied that you're a Scott-Jean ZEALOT lol. You just like the Scott-Jean pairing. Even I was in favor of Scott & Jean just retiring permanently in the mid-late 90s. The Onslaught story should have been their last one as a part of the X-Men. They should have retired together after that one.

#209 Edited by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenger85: Wow, Avenger. That would have been a really good idea. Actually to be honest I like the Scott and Jean, Scott and Betsy and Warren and Jean pairings. But I rarely talk about those because I just want writers and editors to stop defecating on characters who's arch-types are best spent in the past, away from jaded claws of today's writers. You know honestly I knew Scott and Jean both together and separately writers didn't want to write them since when Scott got a f***ing bomb implanted in his chest. So eventually from bad writer to bad writer they betrayed and killed Jean and terraformed Scott into someone completely unrecognizable. THAT is what I'm vehemently against.

#210 Posted by papad1992 (6828 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

I think you're right, but still. If it's propagating a negative stereotype at all, I'd rather they just didn't bother.

I agree with both of you... but it depends on the reader and how they view the bond. I personally never viewed Dani and Rahne's relationship like that but I do see where your concern is oldnightcrawler!

See, I always liked it, too. And I still think it's pretty cool, in and of itself. But then, I was never a Native kid growing up in a culture that propagates that stereotype. It's a bit like how I've never been offended with Little Black Sambo or how Black people are portrayed in Dragon Ball, but I still get how it is offensive.

Well take it from someone who knows ALL about stereotypes and has experienced many different levels of them, it's only offensive if its either implied or if the viewer takes it that way.

argh... Dragon Ball!

#211 Edited by Avenger85 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis:

Yes. Even to me, it seemed that the Onslaught story should have been the point where Scott & Jean said, "OK this is enough. We've contributed and sacrificed more than our fair share to the mutant cause. Now it's time to live the normal life that we deserve".

Then since the Bastion story it just felt like the writers literally ran out of ideas for Scott and Jean. So instead of doing the right thing and retiring them at the end of Onslaught as they should have ( it would also have made alot of sense if they did), they just went ahead with that stupid bomb-in-chest thing with Cyke and the return-of-Phoenix with Jean. Then with a further loss of creativity, I just think that they felt like they had no choice other than killing off Jean and turning Scott into what he is now.

I think the editors believed that retiring Scott & Jean at that point would upset alot of fans who read the book for Cyke and Jean ( and when there is no Cyclops ongoing series, the best the fans can do is read his team book).

P.S. I think Alex actually got it the worst after the Onslaught story with that pathetic attempt at making a villain out of him. Alex Summers has got the short end of the stick compared to his brother IMHO. And I just read the solicitation of the ANXM 15 cover. Yeah, things sure look bleak as hell for young Cyke...

#212 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4420 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

See, I always liked it, too. And I still think it's pretty cool, in and of itself. But then, I was never a Native kid growing up in a culture that propagates that stereotype. It's a bit like how I've never been offended with Little Black Sambo or how Black people are portrayed in Dragon Ball, but I still get how it is offensive.

Well take it from someone who knows ALL about stereotypes and has experienced many different levels of them, it's only offensive if its either implied or if the viewer takes it that way.

argh... Dragon Ball!

you mean it's only offensive to you if it's implied or taken that way?

#213 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: @oldnightcrawler: You two always have the weirdest conversations. Dragonball is a bad example honestly, as the Japanese (actually) are not racist by any measure of the word. Some are modestly xenophobic however not racist, that is an inaccurate term. Popo from the databooks I've seen are just artistic license that resembles Sambo, inadvertently. He is supposed to be based on a Djinn. Anyway not to jump into your convo...just wanted to share what I know empirically of Japanese culture. Hope you find it useful. If not then sweep the legs, Johnny.

@avenger85: (NOTE: this rancor is not directed at you but the writers of the X universe) Why is people think that way? What an utterly vapid notion of them absolutely disappearing. Older key characters are the LARGEST reason for a bi-monthly or quarterly anthology title like "unlimited". They can still go on adventures just not with the X-men main group every month. In order to keep them "relevant" every month writers feel compelled to bastardize them like they did with Scott. Actually I'm MORE pissed about Alex than Scott really. Havok (out of all the X-Men) has some of the highest possible (I mean stellar) potential and is consistently fumbled by biased writers.

#214 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4420 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: @oldnightcrawler: You two always have the weirdest conversations. Dragonball is a bad example honestly, as the Japanese (actually) are not racist by any measure of the word. Some are modestly xenophobic however not racist, that is an inaccurate term. Popo from the databooks I've seen are just artistic license that resembles Sambo, inadvertently. He is supposed to be based on a Djinn. Anyway not to jump into your convo...just wanted to share what I know empirically of Japanese culture. Hope you find it useful. If not then sweep the legs, Johnny.

Isn't saying that " the Japanese (actually) are not racist", y'know, kinda racist?

anyway, I wasn't saying that the creators of Dragonball, or even Little Black Sambo were themselves overtly racist, just that they depict Black characters as an archaic and racially insensitive stereotype. Because this type of artistic stylization was so popular for so long, it's probably most likely that most illustrators simply didn't understand that it was (or could be) offensive, which doesn't mean that they were being consciously racist so much as ignorant. Hell, remember Whitewash Jones? the little Black kid that helped Bucky fight Nazis?

Little skinny kid? Talked funny, dressed like a cartoon pimp? In case anyone forgot, there's a reason we don't see caricatures like this any more. It's because they propagate negative racial stereotypes, which I would call racist, whether or not that was their intent.

#215 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah we're done. Sorry for interfering with your conversation.

#216 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17827 posts) - - Show Bio

Elixir +X-23 Should happen

#217 Edited by papad1992 (6828 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

argh... Dragon Ball!

you mean it's only offensive to you if it's implied or taken that way?

All I'm saying is it's only offensive to me if it's implied towards me or to other stereotypes! That's all. But for the Native American/animal connection stereotype, it's not one too prominent among the list of major stereotypes and it's not one I picked up right away! But that's just me! :P

#218 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4420 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: well I'm not trying to say you should be offended, I'm only saying that I can see why people would be.

#219 Posted by papad1992 (6828 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: well I'm not trying to say you should be offended, I'm only saying that I can see why people would be.

I was just using myself as an example...

#220 Posted by Veitha (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenger85: Emma may have been the better partner for Scott, but Scott currently isn't the better partner for Emma.

I agree with this, but then I would always love to see them together again.

#221 Posted by Avenger85 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@xmentas said:

Scott and Jean have too much of a history to not get back together.

Yeah I fully agreee and its the logical thing to do, but this is Marvel. See what they did with Peter Parker & Mary Jane.

#222 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

@xmentas said:

Scott and Jean have too much of a history to not get back together.

Yeah I fully agreee and its the logical thing to do, but this is Marvel. See what they did with Peter Parker & Mary Jane.

I definitely agree with the whole Peter Parker and Mary Jane thing. I can't believe that Marvel would keep on breaking up long running couples when it's obvious that they got too much history with each other to just break up.

#223 Posted by Xhan56 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

So all those couples arent together anymore? i thought scott and emma were still together

#224 Posted by CaptainCyke (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Other: Chamber and Husk :(

#225 Posted by xmentas (175 posts) - - Show Bio

@xhan56: They sorta ended it in ANX early issue

#226 Posted by time (4950 posts) - - Show Bio

@xmentas: I think there more interesting being that way. Uncanny X-Men 2 was pretty good.