#1 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Where do I start to get caught up with the current status quo? To give some background I've read some X-Men (completed Whedon's Astonishing X-Men) and some Wolverine trades (Weapon X, Logan, Origin).

I'd like to read and understand what's going on in the X-Men universe right now but it's been a bit confusing trying to just dive in. Ultimately I'd like to read the current Wolverine & the X-Men and Uncanny X-Men (of which I read the first issue but was a bit confused) as I assume these storylines are the main titles that show the current division going on in the X-Men right now (also because Wolverine is my favorite x man). I'd like to do this while avoiding confusion as much as possible.

Given all this, would the best place for me to start be Schism? I've heard Jason Aaron is a great writer for Wolverine (I already love his interpretation of Thor) and that this story sets up the current dichotomy of Logan and Scott. Would reading Shism be sufficient enough for me to begin picking up the Wolverine & the X-Men trades? Also would it also suffice to continue reading Uncanny X-Men?

#2 Posted by McKlayn (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

You really need to Read AvX to understand the current status of the X men nation, Schism helps a bit but AvX was kind of the current breaking point. Also you need to pick up All New Xmen, that story was a big portion of the current story line. I myself am not a fan of Wolverine and the X men so i can't honestly suggest it lol, its more uh light hearted. But yes for the X man universe i would suggest

Uncanny X men, All New X men, & X men (wolverine and the X men like i said is light hearted and doesn't really seem to reflect the big stuff, the serious issues from the wolverine school seem more mentioned in All New Xmen)

Thats my suggestions anyway :D (also you want to pick up Number 1's of All new & Uncanny) The Number one for the X men (its not out yet) and what ever issue Marvel Now is for Wolverine & (18ish?)

#3 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly....don't waste your time with Wolverine and the X-Men. It's not a very good title. Aaron has no real focus in the title so it bounces all around. But if you must....

Schism is a solid starting point if you want to start now as Wolverine and the X-Men comes out of that and ReGenesis and all that leads into AvX. (Though to be honest again, Schism is very contrived.)

However if you want to understand everything before all that, Start with House of M and work your way down.

#4 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

First off, thanks for the replies I greatly appreciate it!

And im surprised there's some dissenting opinions on Wolverine & the xmen as that title has been getting nothing but rave reviews. And I actually would prefer that it's light hearted as most of my books in my pull (and most comics in general these days) are pretty dark. Also Uncanny seems to have a pretty dark tone overall so I think it would prove to be a good balance.

Should I read AvX after Schism then? What's the actual order there haha?

#5 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

First off, thanks for the replies I greatly appreciate it!

And im surprised there's some dissenting opinions on Wolverine & the xmen as that title has been getting nothing but rave reviews. And I actually would prefer that it's light hearted as most of my books in my pull (and most comics in general these days) are pretty dark. Also Uncanny seems to have a pretty dark tone overall so I think it would prove to be a good balance.

Should I read AvX after Schism then? What's the actual order there haha?

WATX is light-hearted, but it is too silly to be taken seriously at times. If you like the School stuff, it's a title for you. If you like a more serious story driven title, Uncanny is good.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4866 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Given all this, would the best place for me to start be Schism? I've heard Jason Aaron is a great writer for Wolverine (I already love his interpretation of Thor) and that this story sets up the current dichotomy of Logan and Scott. Would reading Shism be sufficient enough for me to begin picking up the Wolverine & the X-Men trades? Also would it also suffice to continue reading Uncanny X-Men?

Schism's an okay place to start. WatX-men is pretty inconsistent, but it's been getting better again in the last few months; issues 24, 25, 27, and 28 (that's right, skip 26) were all decent. The first trade is okay, and I highly recommend issue 17, but otherwise, I think you could start reading at 24 and be alright. If you like Wolverine, this is a decent book for him, though it can get pretty silly. Uncanny Avengers is really the only other book I like him in right now.

Uncanny X-men's been great so far (as of issue 5); do read this book. It can be a little confusing if you aren't reading All-new X-men, which is also pretty fun, but not really necessary. I do recommend All-new X-men for the art, though; it's gorgeous. Oh, and I guess Wolverine and Cyclops are both in that too, but, whatever..

#7 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Do you happen to know what's good out of Wolverine's other books? (Ultimate Wolverine, Wolverine MAX, and now Wolverine) I've heard MAX is good as its completely separate universe and you can just dive right in. Plus its an adult comic, which rather suits Logan I think. I'm assuming Ultimate Wolverine is pretty different too, but doesn't he have a son or something, or its about his son? Idk, haha. Any ideas on that?

#8 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@oldnightcrawler: Do you happen to know what's good out of Wolverine's other books? (Ultimate Wolverine, Wolverine MAX, and now Wolverine) I've heard MAX is good as its completely separate universe and you can just dive right in. Plus its an adult comic, which rather suits Logan I think. I'm assuming Ultimate Wolverine is pretty different too, but doesn't he have a son or something, or its about his son? Idk, haha. Any ideas on that?

Ultimate Wolverine focuses on a part of Logan's past in the Ultimate Universe as well as his son, Jimmy Hudson trying to uncover some of Logan's past and secrets.

#9 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4866 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

sorry, I haven't followed his solo books in years. I don't really follow Wolverine so much as we keep going to the same places.

That is, I like the character a lot, but he shows up in enough stuff I read already (usually at least 3 or 4 books a month), that I never wonder what else he's up to, and thus never bother getting his solo or alternate dimension stuff.

#10 Edited by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine and the X-Men started off really well but has lost its focus in recient months and has been inconsistent. It started when their story lines were disrupted by AvX and it seems to me that the title just has not been able to get back to the level it previously had. That is not to say recient issues were bad but thet certainly was not as good as before.

#11 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly....don't waste your time with Wolverine and the X-Men. It's not a very good title. Aaron has no real focus in the title so it bounces all around. But if you must....

Schism is a solid starting point if you want to start now as Wolverine and the X-Men comes out of that and ReGenesis and all that leads into AvX. (Though to be honest again, Schism is very contrived.)

However if you want to understand everything before all that, Start with House of M and work your way down.

EXACTLY THIS!

#12 Edited by McKlayn (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

it depends do you want to catch up with Wolverine, or the X men universe?

The X men Universe House of M is great but pretty far back, from there you would want to read the whole Messiah Stories (i think there are three of them cant never remember the order) then i think it jumps to Schism, then AvX then start with the Uncanny & Wolverine &, and All new :D

#13 Posted by stevencarver_ (91 posts) - - Show Bio

AvX is pretty necessary to All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. Both of the titles are quite good (Uncanny is the better of the two). You could also read AvX Consequences, a 5 issue limited series, but it isn't very interesting and is something that is explained well enough through some other stories. You might also enjoy Uncanny Avengers if you enjoyed the later half of AvX. It's got some interesting things going for it.

#14 Posted by time (5103 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't waste your time, it's a waste of money.

#15 Posted by gor724 (839 posts) - - Show Bio

My recommendation is the new Uncanny X-Men, its a lot better, darker, and deeper. I just got into comics a little while ago so once I finished the Alan Moore classics and TWD comics (not that great by the way) I went to X-Men. You can do all this reading on other comics and waist more money, or do what I did, and do background searches on the roster and just read the summery of AvX on Wikipedia. Yes its kinda cheating but if you want to jump strait into these new comics before its to late, do what I did. Its up to you though