• 129 results
#51 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7205 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
@AgeofHurricane said:

@John Valentine: Your not a Storm fan which means you wouldn't understand what he meant by saying that she's underrated, i mean look at what you went on and said, if you've actually been paying attention to her in the x-books instead of being ignorant you would know what he meant, Storm fans aren't complaining about what's been happening to her since 3 years ago for no reason, its only recently that writers have been shining some light on her.

"She's constantly used in the field and used to a greater extent than many other X-characters," not really.

No, it doesn't mean that I couldn't understand what he's saying, I'm  just disagreeing.  

" Who do you think are the most underrated X-Men characters that need to be in the spotlight more often?". This is asking who people believe are the most currently underrated. Not who were a few years back. My point is that Storm shouldn't suddenly go back to her former glory having not been present in X-Books for such a long time. How could she be underrated with very little to rate her by? It's not as though she's done anything massively defining to rate her by since she's been married to T'Challa. By that logic, Kitty had been vastly overrated for the two years she was missing.    

Time is complaining that up to a year ago, she wasn't being used enough. She views being underrated and underused as the same thing.

She's used more than most mutants, specifically X-Men on Utopia - true. Only maybe Scott, Wolverine, Emma, Colossus, Magneto, Angel, Namor, X-23, X-Club etc have been used more recently. Certainly more than Iceman, Dazzler, Northstar, Warpath, most New Mutants, New X-Men….. 

EDIT: In Uncanny and X-Men she's had her own team within the last six months. She's constantly used by Scott in his tactics, she's on his board of advisors. 
So you understand but don't agree? Okay, as most Storm fans have said, marrying the BP was probably the biggest mistake Marvel coul have done for her, whether it be deliberate or accidental, since then she's fallen out of the X-books (even though she's making little appearances these days) and into HIS books and even there she still wasn't being portrayed as the Strong Kenyan mutant weather mistress we (storm fans) know her as, so she's came back into the X-books during fractions run (but i would say she came back through Astonishing)......she did absolutely NOTHING from issues 500 onwards and he portrayed her (when he actually thought to include her in a story)  as the arrogant Goddess most people think she is, she did close to nothing in second coming except for being one of the many people to find out about Scotts X-Force and then battle against the Nimrod (which ALOT of other X-Men did) and then there was the convo with Wolverine at the end of it all, even before that during the Nation x story line what was she doing!? NOTHING ! all she did was come in with fractions "we are not amused" phrase and tickle a Predator X with some lightning bolt and then she was gone, over to the BP books in Doom War we were meant to see a Storm who was furious about the current state of Wakanda and what did we see ? a little lady who cried when a she saw her loved ones getting killed off, ordinary Storm wouldn't do that, and then there's recently in the Quarantine arc, she was one of the "big-guns" that Angel called in to help the X-Men, she got some face time here and there but it wasn't as much as usually  i mean did you read UXM #533?.

Storm's done ALOT of things that she should be rated for (it doesn't need to be right after she was married to T'challa), she took charge of the X-Men when Cyclops left waaaaaay back in in UXM #140 and has been a doing a great job since then even when she wasn't it's leader, she single handidly saved the X-Men (namely Kitty Pryde and Warren Worthington) from death at the Morlocks when she fought off Callisto even when she was severely sick herself, lets not forget the fact that somebody else already  offered to fight before she did but as leader of the X-Men she knew it was her responsibility, she managed to release herself from Draculas clutches even in vampire mode (something Dracula only dreamed of) and saved the X-Men at the same time, in the X-tinction Agenda arc she gave Cyclops back his powers which helped greatly turn the tide of the battle in favour of the X-Men, she was the one that devised the plan of the X-Men "dying" in order to protect their loved ones, she was the one who saved most of New York from destruction after the explosion of Forges Aerie, she was the one who figured out the secret of the Trion and defeated them in their own dimension as well as healing the entire dimension with her powers herself, in WAP she took it upon herself to battle the X-Men's current leader Scott who self had been taken over by the SK and won to prove that she could be a Queen as well as a loyal X-Man, Storms done a lot of things over the years to grant her a place as one of its members who deserve plenty of panel time no matter what the writer, but look whats been happening.

No, she hasn't or else there would be no complaints about her under-usage, IMO she's probably being used around the same amount that those you have listed are, except for Warpath.
#52 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@AgeofHurricane
no offense, but you care WAY too much about Storm......
#53 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7205 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy: No comment.
#54 Posted by tbone1225 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, even though they're featured often, I still think Cyclops, Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde are the most underrated. The X-Men animated series cast Cyclops as a douche, Jean Grey as a bench-warmer, and Kitty Pryde as Jubilee. The movies didn't do much to remedy this. And the comics have fallen away from what made these three characters fantastic. I think other characters are much more beloved because people have forgotten why these three are so fantastic.

#55 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy
This. We need a Dazzler series again.
#56 Posted by MagnusLensherr (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Husk!!!!

#57 Posted by time (4576 posts) - - Show Bio

First of, the points I am making is not invalid. John you can be very rude at times. Just cause you don't agree, doesn't make them invalid. 
The thread is about characters that should be in the spotlight more and if there not, then  there underated. Jean has been gone nearly 8 years, in those terms she is underated and should return. Storm has less voice in X-Men comcis, cause Cyclops listens to Emma Frost more, even though Storm has more experience being X- MEN  then she has. Storm did Married Black Panther and she did come back and fight  alongside the X-Men. Is  Cyclops the only who can have romance in his life, Storm is not allowed romance or family, cause she an X-Men ?. I'm not even a Storm fan  and I can see she not in the spoligth enough.
#58 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy: I agree - I think Storm is used just enough, personally, where she doesn't get annoying or become a figurehead. She maintains a presence, and always gets good showings whereas other characters often get demoted, depowered or written out, such as Polaris. T here was a concentrated attempt to destroy Polaris a few years ago by making her look insane and she's also been downgraded the most. I still remember the time period when Malice took her over for an extended time period. She may be the most lowballed heroine in the series! 

I'd definitely like to see Karma, Magma and Richter be given some time in the spotlight.
#59 Posted by ComicFox (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast. Not too many people are aware of how powerful he can be. (nearly instantaneous healing factor, berserker rage). If you really want to see the Beast in action, read Amazing Adventures 11-17.

#60 Posted by darthphoenix (510 posts) - - Show Bio

havok

#61 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellion, Mercury, Dust, Surge, Rockslide

#62 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

these might be some of the most underrated and underused characters around..

#63 Posted by McKlayn (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

There are Alot, Iceman deserves a shout out in some ways but he is still almost always around so i wouldn't really put him at the bottom of this list.

Rachel Grey, Cannonball, Chamber, Husk, Hellion. Rockslide, Armor

All the above have been used enough to be established, they have a very defined personality and fan bases over the years, then totally forgotten about or at best used as cannon fodder in panels during big fights. There are tons more of course, Dust, Prodigy, Surge, just off the top of my head, Anole and Blind fold, God so many but ill stick with my list as the top ones in my mind at least

#64 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7205 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a difference between underrated and underused.

Children from the New X-Lore are what you'd deem underused and nothing more (except for Prodigy). Characters like Chamber, Dazzler, Magma, Polaris, Boom Boom and possible even Warpath are what you'd call underrated.

#65 Edited by CTG (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Blindfold is going to have a big role in X-Men Legacy from what I understand. May want to keep an eye on it.

I would love to see more Dust, Armor, Hellion and Prodigy.

#66 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@CTG said:

Blindfold is going to have a big role in X-Men Legacy from what I understand. May want to keep an eye on it.

nuts. that's like the only 616 X-men book I'm not reading.

do you know if it's any good?

#67 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

The sheer number of underutilized and underdeveloped X-characters is staggering. Marvel really went overboard with creating new characters over the last decade and did not do very much with most of them. Too many to name off the top of my head.

#68 Posted by McKlayn (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@CTG said:

Im reading it and, hmmm its to say the least Odd? For some odd reason though i am satisfied with the story thus far, its out of the box and a bit different and i will not dare say its great, but its good enough to spend the money on in my opinion, and yes blindfold seems to be coming in as a main character opposite of Legion. Another thing i love about it is Chamber seems to have a decent role in it, only book hes been in for years where he actually gets to talk :D so yea id pick it up

#69 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7205 posts) - - Show Bio

@McKlayn said:

@dangallant984 said:

@CTG said:

Im reading it and, hmmm its to say the least Odd? For some odd reason though i am satisfied with the story thus far, its out of the box and a bit different and i will not dare say its great, but its good enough to spend the money on in my opinion, and yes blindfold seems to be coming in as a main character opposite of Legion. Another thing i love about it is Chamber seems to have a decent role in it, only book hes been in for years where he actually gets to talk :D so yea id pick it up

Yeah, this.

It's picked up since Molina stepped on (but for some reason, he's the damned fill-in. Prior artist was what was keeping me away from the title) and the character progression within is amazing, latest issue was probably the best issue yet, one of the best X-issues i've read in a long while. Figuring why Blindfold's the way she is today, it was a beautiful tragedy. And i also love the use of C/D list characters in the title, even if the majority of focus is on Legion, Spurrier makes it work.

That was absolutely hilarious, and needs to happen on a regular basis.

#70 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@McKlayn said:

Yeah, this.

It's picked up since Molina stepped on (but for some reason, he's the damned fill-in. Prior artist was what was keeping me away from the title) and the character progression within is amazing, latest issue was probably the best issue yet, one of the best X-issues i've read in a long while. Figuring why Blindfold's the way she is today, it was a beautiful tragedy. And i also love the use of C/D list characters in the title, even if the majority of focus is on Legion, Spurrier makes it work.

See, I only knew about it having Legion, and as interesting as I think he is, he wasn't enough to get me pumped. Then I flipped through a few issues down at the shop, and the art just made no impression on me.

But if it's also got Blindfold and Chamber, and the artist has changed, I might give it another shot.

#71 Posted by CTG (228 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@McKlayn said:

Yeah, this.

See, I only knew about it having Legion, and as interesting as I think he is, he wasn't enough to get me pumped. Then I flipped through a few issues down at the shop, and the art just made no impression on me.

But if it's also got Blindfold and Chamber, and the artist has changed, I might give it another shot.

XML #5 (I think) has some awesome dialogue between Legion and Chamber - it's really funny stuff. Matter of fact, that entire issue kept me reading XML. It was the Legion we've all wanted for a long time. Blindfold's origin in XML #6 is pretty amazing as well.

#72 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5696 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much the entire cast of New X-Men.

#73 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Pretty much the entire cast of New X-Men.

yeah. I've never been that into Mercury or Surge, but overall, this was a stellar cast full of a lot of my favourite characters. Probably my favourite junior team of them all.

#74 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7205 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Like i said, difference between underrated and being underutilized.

#75 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to say Cloak and Dagger. A lot of people don't know about them at all, and plenty of other people just don't care about them. I think they deserve to be a bit more popular than they are (and to be used more as well). I think they have enormous potential, power-wise and especially art-wise.

#76 Posted by SummersBlood (27 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread seems to go back and forth between underrated vs. underutilized, but if we're talking about people who don't get enough credit for the sheer number of asses they have the potential to kick, I think Cyclops warrants a mention. Now obviously he's not underutilized, so I'm just talking about power potential. ay back in Whedon's run, he levels a mountain and Logan comments what a messed up world it is to put a nuke in a boy scout's head.....NUKE!!! Ya know the end of Justice League Unlimited, when Superman has that awesome "I feel like I live in a world of cardboard" moment whilst unloading on Darkseid? Seems like Scott is in a similar boat; never able to truly let it rip for fear of the disastrous consequences. I've always thought it would be cool if it were revealed that the reason Mr. Sinister was obsessed with the Summers bloodline (see my name?) was that their mutant powers afforded them access to a dimension of pure, unbridled energy.

#77 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

There's a difference between underrated and underused.

Children from the New X-Lore are what you'd deem underused and nothing more (except for Prodigy). Characters like Chamber, Dazzler, Magma, Polaris, Boom Boom and possible even Warpath are what you'd call underrated.

Yeah, but your examples make me think you have the two words confused for each other ;)

#78 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from the big names, they're all pretty much underrated. But that's to be expected, we can't have a powerful story showcasing the brilliance of each and every X-Men character, there's too many. I love team books more than solo books (for the most part, with few exceptions) but that's the one glaring flaw of team books. There's just not enough spotlight to go around when you've got a team with a seemingly infinite amount of characters.

#79 Posted by TheJester (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Toad is the only one I really want to get some respect and appreciation.

#80 Posted by Vec (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman, Nightcrawler.

#81 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Think of an old Brotherhood member outside of Mystique that still acts as a villain.

There ya go.

#82 Posted by papad1992 (6815 posts) - - Show Bio

Sage, Husk, Mercury, Dust, Loa, Trance, Rockslide, Anole, Stacy X, Karima Shapander, Prodigy, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Gentle, Ariel, Boom Boom, Hepzibah, Cypher, Jubilee, Karma, Lifeguard, Thunderbird III, Dazzler, Warpath, Polaris, Siryn (Banshee), Hellion, Forge, among others... those are just off the top of my head!

#83 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

Sage, Husk, Mercury, Dust, Loa, Trance, Rockslide, Anole, Stacy X, Karima Shapander, Prodigy, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Gentle, Ariel, Boom Boom, Hepzibah, Cypher, Jubilee, Karma, Lifeguard, Thunderbird III, Dazzler, Warpath, Polaris, Siryn (Banshee), Hellion, Forge, among others... those are just off the top of my head!

Sage - Absolutely

Mercury - Maybe

Nightcrawler - Still cannot believe they killed him off

Jubilee - Sentimental favorite

Karma - For a long time yes, but not recently

#84 Posted by papad1992 (6815 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@papad1992 said:

Sage - Absolutely

Mercury - Maybe

Nightcrawler - Still cannot believe they killed him off

Jubilee - Sentimental favorite

Karma - For a long time yes, but not recently

glad we agree... on some.

#85 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992:

I do not hate the rest, just focused on the 5 that caught my eye

#86 Posted by papad1992 (6815 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@papad1992:

I love Nightcrawler, Mercury and especially Sage, but Jubilee I don't care for (anymore), and I've lost interest in Karma.

#87 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@papad1992:

I love Nightcrawler, Mercury and especially Sage, but Jubilee I don't care for (anymore), and I've lost interest in Karma.

Jubilee has languished unused for so long, or turned into a vampire in a lame marketing ploy, there is little to like for some time.

Karma's use since the original New Mutants run has been uneven to say the least, still a fan.

#88 Posted by slimlim (254 posts) - - Show Bio

ICEMAN.

Nightcrawler is awesome. But i don't see him as underrated.

#89 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

The O5 (exception: Scott), and Jubilee. Psylocke could use a clean up.

#90 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops.

Still treated like crap. Used as a scapegoat by incompetent writers, and blamed for pretty much everything, both in-universe and out. Gets more awful writing than the rest of Marvel combined. Superior Spider-Man looks at Cyclops' writing over the past few years and says "wow, he's had it rough"

And Hellion.

#91 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Think of an old Brotherhood member outside of Mystique that still acts as a villain.

There ya go.

Welcome to Marvel's new strategy.

Good guys have to be former villains.

And villains have to be Cyclops.

#92 Posted by Xwraith (10995 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Psylocke, but I don't think she qualifies as underrated anymore after being a central character in the best X-book of the past five years.

#93 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xwraith said:

I would say Psylocke, but I don't think she qualifies as underrated anymore after being a central character in the best X-book of the past five years.

Psylocke was in X-Factor?

#94 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Decoy Elite said:

There ya go.

You made me laugh with that. Why is it bad to like X-Force / Uncanny X-Force?

#95 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@chasereis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Decoy Elite said:

There ya go.

You made me laugh with that. Why is it bad to like X-Force / Uncanny X-Force?

Didn't say it was.

I liked the original X-Force series. I am less in love with Remender's though.

Nice av.

#96 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: I dedicated that to you, bro. Actually any X-Force is better than v1...

#97 Posted by TDK_1997 (13737 posts) - - Show Bio

Dust is pretty underrated.

#98 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6203 posts) - - Show Bio

Dust - interesting background and style

Blink - one of my favorite Marvel characters. Very underrated and has a lot of potential.

Wolfsbane - she has received her fair share of hate, but she is still interesting and has a good story to build on.

#99 Posted by papad1992 (6815 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@papad1992 said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@papad1992:

Jubilee has languished unused for so long, or turned into a vampire in a lame marketing ploy, there is little to like for some time.

Karma's use since the original New Mutants run has been uneven to say the least, still a fan.

Don't get me started on Jubilee again... there was a heated argument not too long ago!

And I like Karma (her personality, powers, character, etc) but she hasn't been written well to convey her strong characterization in a long time... actually I think ever!

#100 Posted by Rickbarry (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

Marrow. Bring her back.